MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

New Gieskes Video Synth from Bleep Labs: 3TrinsRGB+1c
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author New Gieskes Video Synth from Bleep Labs: 3TrinsRGB+1c
Eli
Introducing the 3TrinRGB+1c...
A new Gieskes designed video synthesizer.

The 3TrinRGB+1c is an all-in-one voltage controllable and analog video synthesizer. Possible effects include: shape/pattern synthesis, colorization effects (RGB colorspace, brightness, color inversion, solarization), audio visualization, scrolling, keying, and audio synthesis. It is fully compatible with Eurorack modular or LZX Industries. However voltages from the LZX Industries system will have to be stepped up (via voltage bridge module) to achieve more dramatic affectation.

Bleep Labs is offering a $25 discount for those who wish to pre-order. The 3TrinRGB+1c is fully assembled as well. You can find the product page and cart here:
Bleep Labs 3trins RGB+1c Pre-Order

Specifications include:
- Analog video and audio synthesizer.
- Composite video input to process external video signals.
- 3 video/audio rate synced oscillators, each dedicated to it's own color channel (R,G, and B).
-2 Internal LFOs (ramp, tri, saw) to FM the oscillators.
- CV inputs for each oscillator channel that can be used with audio and modular level signals.
- Audio output of internal oscillators and CV signals.
- Patchbay allows you design complex interactions between the oscillators, RGB channels and i/o. It will also make it easy to prototype your own tiny circuit “plugins† (more into on this soon).
- Power supply and patch cables for header included
- Analog composite video input and output are compatible with NTSC and PAL.

Below are some direct links demo videos. Some of these were captured off of a CRT with a DSLR, so please excuse the quality. Better captures and freakier patches to come!

Gieskes Demo
Gieskes Demo 2
Bleep Labs Demo
Bleep Labs Demo 2

I am posting this on behalf of Bleep Labs. I will answer what I can but please feel free to direct specific inquiries via email to:
drbleep@bleeplabs.com

Here are some things that may answer any questions you may have

For more info refer to the USER GUIDE
Schematics and code HERE..

What’s the Arduino code for if it’s analog?
The 3TrinsRGB uses an Atmega328 for timing the output video. The signal path is all analog.

So the inputs are just for audio or CV?
They are for both! You can attenuate strong signals, like those coming out of a modular, with an onboard trimmer. The inputs are AC coupled so changing signals work best.

Any video input signal works? Will it mess up my LCD or projector?
Modern devices work great but some VCRs and older video game systems like an NES might appear trapezoidal.
The output signal will be accepted by any device that takes composite without issue.

How is it powered?
With the included 9v power supply.
flx
This looks so cool! Also, eek! at 1:50 in Gieke's Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyWn-LACXaE&list=UUXN9LyfdDaBWpnRGukT2 atw

I will try to get a kit to build that thing myself.
AR126
Damn that looks sweet.
next month maybe....
cephalopod
I usually dont preorder things but this looks so sick
Ginko
I was watching Gieskes site like a hawk after the original announcement on his Twitter feed razz my kit should arrive any day now, maybe today! hyper
loderbast
this is awesome.
i only with there was more information an how exactly the patches involving video in work. for exampel in the beginning of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80qVZWpShXw
is he using the video in somehow with a comparator to determine the gain of the color channels??

i ordered a ad724 with my last mouser order to play with an breadboard, but never got it working. i really should dig into it again.
Ginko
I just finished our kit for Form Constants (except the case) I didn't realise the video-in was actually monochrome, but then it makes sense watching the demo videos (I am an idiot)

however, from a couple of minutes of playing, it is very cool!! It is all about the mini patch box!! All the features work really well and smoothly. I kinda want to get another one to try bending razz
cephalopod
Wow! Did not realize that the input was black and white either. That's a huge disappointment...
Ginko
I wouldn't worry too much though, think about it like you have three colourful oscillators that can be modulated in a number of ways, then you also have the video input which adds another dimension again - I guess the disappointing thing though is that I was originally thinking it could be really cool in the middle or at the end of a signal chain - like the last device before your projection, but yeah the monochrome kinda kills that. Very useful as a source device though for generating images. We will try it out properly with camera feedback and cv/audio modulation over the weekend
Ginko
Ginko
We had our first proper play with it today and we can confirm it is pretty awesome!! The videos show the internal oscillators being modulated with cv and the internal LFOs and then a DVD with a little camera feedback being mashed with the oscillators - the sound is just a basic patch set up for us to test things

sync24
edit - never mind, i found the list...
hopefully i'll get this done soon!!!
Ginko
It took us a couple of hours and then some to put it together, there were a couple of mistakes in the parts list, one of the 470mf caps is mixed up with one of the others - not sure if Gieskes has corrected this yet, also one of the ceramic capacitors around the topmost ic of the board is wrong, it is labelled as a 104 but needs to be something else, that's as good as my memory serves I am afraid! I will check over Gieskes pics in the morning if you aren't done by then.

Also the two capacitors in the bottom corner and one at the top which aren't listed can all be omitted from the build

I secured the header pin with bluetac when I got to soldering the hardware with the panel in place, this made it easy. Happy building!
dan_k
Ginko wrote:
It took us a couple of hours and then some to put it together, there were a couple of mistakes in the parts list, one of the 470mf caps is mixed up with one of the others - not sure if Gieskes has corrected this yet, also one of the ceramic capacitors around the topmost ic of the board is wrong, it is labelled as a 104 but needs to be something else, that's as good as my memory serves I am afraid! I will check over Gieskes pics in the morning if you aren't done by then.

Also the two capacitors in the bottom corner and one at the top which aren't listed can all be omitted from the build

I secured the header pin with bluetac when I got to soldering the hardware with the panel in place, this made it easy. Happy building!

Ginko Thanks for your detailed notes and videos of it in use. My girlfriend is planning on picking one of these up and I think I may too.

Really appreciate your efforts in sharing your build and experiences! Guinness ftw!
sync24
hey, thanks Ginko!
i hadn't scrolled the flickr pages... that's why i'd missed the initial stuff.
anyway, i reckon i've done the resistors right, can't be bothered to check them but know i need to swap the R4 resistors, though, i put the wrong ones in...
the ceramic caps look ok now, the one up the top of the board is this one:
C7 105 (under the 15k resistor left side of the tlc274)
Gijs has amended the Flickr list.
thaaaanks!!!!
glia
beautiful music ginko (especially the third clip)

visuals on the second were my favourite
Ginko
glia wrote:
beautiful music ginko (especially the third clip)

visuals on the second were my favourite

Oh thanks!! without wanting to sound like a penis, we just had a basic patch going for audio - it was mainly a test session!!
sync24
hmmmm, this build is not my fave...
i've got it all together, but i reckon there's something not quite right somewhere.
some of the knobs aren't doing much and i'm struggling to get a decent picture on my old JVC monitor. i also had a few bits left over - 2 2n3904 and some resistors... i think they're spares as i searched and searched to see if anything was missing.
i'll have to go and look for solder bridges and stuff.
cry
Ginko
I had left over transistors as well, confusing! F01 and F02 and the associated switches won't do anything unless you patch them somewhere using the header connections, try patching F01a to Rsin or R-, you will get the idea, this threw me at first as well smile
Modulus
I pre-ordered. Was considering getting an LZX system but complete systems are hard to come by and expensive.

I love how you can bend this further using the expansion connections on the top. Can't believe this thing is so inexpensive. What a fantastic piece of kit applause we're not worthy
sync24
Ginko wrote:
I had left over transistors as well, confusing! F01 and F02 and the associated switches won't do anything unless you patch them somewhere using the header connections, try patching F01a to Rsin or R-, you will get the idea, this threw me at first as well smile

ah ha!
cheers, i've got it running smoothly now smile
i was struggling to get a picture on my monitor for a bit, but it's looking great now.
thanks for the tips re patching, that's made all the difference, this thing is bonkers.
i need a video mixer!!!
here's a pic anyway, looking forward to getting it patched in to the modular next!!!

http://instagram.com/p/uG59UXDm9n/?modal=true
Ginko
Nice, yeah it plays well with other gear, I think our favorite thing right now is patching Vid to R-, G- and B-, usually all at the same time!!
Eli
Nice build Ginkgo! Glad to see people are getting into this new video synth.

I demoed it with LZX gear and other modular gear and was getting fantastic results.
glia
waiting on mine

any more videos from the folks who built theirs already?
Ginko
I (or the Uni) got a new Blackmagic Intensity recently. When I ordered it I didn't realise it wouldn't come with a Thunderbolt cable. Poo. At some point though we can hopefully get some nice takes!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7