MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looper Pedals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Looper Pedals
sascha.victoria
About 10 years ago I had a Boss RC20 which had a great reverse / over dub function. Looking at looping pedals now they are much more advanced but I don't see an easy way to record a loop, reverse, and overdub or make another loop. Perhaps I'm overlooking something. Any suggestions for a modern looping pedal?
kindredlost
DITTO x2 by TC Electronics.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-x2-looper/

Get one from Guitar Center used for ~$120.

The Electro Harmonix 45000 is a new version of the 2880 which I wish I could find. It is 4 channels for multi track looping. Expensive though.

Here is a used 2880 for reasonable money.
krv
No problem, Sir... I used this one for three months with both Buchla 200e and Moog Theremin and it sound good... reverse, overdub, half speed anything you need

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-x2-looper/
sduck
For a easy way to just do what you ask about the boomerang version I or II is great, but not available new any more -

http://www.boomerangmusic.com/Rang%20Plus/Rang%20Plus.html

I don't know, but you might be able to find them on ebay or wherever for reasonable prices. You can't have mine though.

The modern updated version, which doesn't look as user friendly to me, although in the demos I've seen is much more fun -

http://www.boomerangmusic.com/E156.shtml
Crowyote
I had an EHX 45000 and loved it . . . I sold it in a rush because I needed cash pretty badly (I don't recommend selling gear at the Sam Ash in Dallas btw, the sales manager has a way of making it seem torturous to buy something from you).

If I had an extra $450-$500 lying around I would get it in the drop of a hat. Luckily, I had an extra SD card that had all my good loops saved and I kept it. Mine was from the first production run and reportedly there were a few issues, but mine never failed live besides user error learning curve stuff, and it was never very obvious when it did. Oh yes, and the footswitch is essential.

I tried the Ditto (1st version), but decided keeping track of the stomp order could prove disastrous in a live setting. I'm considering an x2 or holding out until TC builds a Ditto x4.

The EHX 360 Nano just seems stupid! Why have all those loops settings for just 6 minutes of time. I don't see the point.

Boomerang - I would buy if I had more floorspace.
konnekshen
i got the BOSS RC 505 and it is quite an inspiration (i just say guitar to bass).

still, the 2880 i had was fantastic, it was something about the audio quality that had kinda tape feeling. i'm always tempted to get a 45000 but i wish EH would come up with a big version based on the wish lists of the 2880/45000 fans, like different track length, more ins and outs than jus a stereo pair each, inserts and more than 4 ch in total. i really don't get it why they don't do it.

and btw: please EH and all you other pedal companys: make more vids for synth users please!
sascha.victoria
Got a 4500 since they had it at True Tone and I could try it. Need to go back tomorrow for the control pedal. Got a Red Panda too. Super fun to make loops buffer, etc... Might get a second Panda. Spent the whole afternoon having a blast with my Wurlitzer and guitar. Reminded me of my set up when I felt most productive.
scozbor
loving ehx 4500. total chaos running ableton sampler (with mapped controller covering all functions including sample selection), board weevil, wavedrum, and mabira - all through a mixer into the 4500. twisted
4500 then goes through some mod fx, delay and into ableton for further live tweaking.
sascha.victoria
Yeah was just thinking how fun it would be to have the 45000 as a send on a mixer. Super stoked.
scozbor
seriously!! stick an ableton sampler on it! throw hundreds of samples into it. map the sample selection, pitch, filters, reverb + delay to some knobs. play the samlper with keyboard/pads. SO MUCH FUN!
MrNovember
I like my Ditto x1 but I really just use it for jamming on my own. I probably wouldn't consider taking it anywhere live. I really hope they make an x4; the x2 is a step in the right direction though.

I know a lot of people that like the Line 6 DL4. This guy does some crazy stuff with them:
sascha.victoria
scozbor wrote:
seriously!! stick an ableton sampler on it! throw hundreds of samples into it. map the sample selection, pitch, filters, reverb + delay to some knobs. play the samlper with keyboard/pads. SO MUCH FUN!

I don't think I follow what you're saying to do...
scozbor
A bit off topic but....

If you have a USB/midi controller you can map params of the ableton sampler to the knobs. I'm using the akai LPD8 which has 8 pads for playing samples and 8 knobs for controlling sampler params. I usually map to volume, pitch, sample selection, filter type, res, cutoff. And if you stick the sampler in an instrument rack you can also put effects in the rack, and i usually use (and map to knobs) reverb and delay.

So you now have all this control of the sampler going into the looper.

Most of the fun and chaos comes from having hundreds of samples in the sampler - all accessible from one knob. Here is how to do it:

Put the sampler in an instrument rack. Open the zone editor in the sampler. click on SEL for sample selection section. Drag all your samples into the blank space under SEL. Select all the samples you have dragged in (CNTRL A). Right click and DISTRIBUTE RANGES EQUALLY. On the right side, right click on the little orange selector and map it to a macro knob (in the instrument rack). Then map that macro knob to a midi knob!

I hope this helps! Sorry if my instructions are hard to follow. Check youtube for sample tutorials.
krv
I had good times with octatrack and a midi pedalboard in the past ...lovely but confusing: sort of "too much of a good thing" and I missed the momentary factor, if you know what I mean, that's why I switched back to a simple loop pedal.
Pris
I second that. I had that experience with the RC505. It's like the looper becomes the actual instrument.
I had a Digitech Jamman, 2880 before.
2880 was good.
What I've learned for myself:never get a looper with a display anymore.

My wanna have setup: Lofi Loop Junky->El cap (sos mode)
My have setup: Phonogene->DL4(loop mode)
Rooftree
Pris: Could you elaborate on your experience with the RC505? I've been thinking of getting one for a while. I figured having 5 synced tracks with adjustable volume would be handy.

Under what conditions did you find that menu diving was necessary? Any other pros or cons?

BTW, I started with an RC20XL, then a Jamman Stereo, and now I have a Pigtronix Infinity. The Infinity is better than the irst two loopers for me, but I find that if I don't use it often it takes a while for me to re-learn how to run it.
blt
I've got a RC20XL and a handful of other pedals with a looping function, but I'm really wanting something with midi clock sync. Looking at the EHX 45000, Boomerang III, and Infinity Looper. Just want something that will play nice with sequenced synths and drum machines.
dkcg
blt wrote:
I've got a RC20XL and a handful of other pedals with a looping function, but I'm really wanting something with midi clock sync. Looking at the EHX 45000, Boomerang III, and Infinity Looper. Just want something that will play nice with sequenced synths and drum machines.

Echoplex Digital Pro spits out midi clock as soon as you finish your loop. I've synced my whole studio (synths and effects) to a loop w/o issues.

Can sync to midi clock, but what fun is that, lots or loopers can do that.
kragg
I am wondering if we could use the Digitech JamMan metronome's out to act as a clock trigger out to sync with a modular or some other gear ?
Maybe with the Electribe ESX's clock audio input, to be converted in real time as a Midi clock ?
I have just gotten a JamMan, i need to try.
oscillateur
I'd actually be interested in knowing which loopers with (analog. i.e. triggers) sync in and out.

I can sync my DD20 to my modular (the first output of my Pamela's Workout is typically dedicated to that smile ), but something that could also output triggers would be nice I don't use anything with MIDI these days so having to go from MIDI to triggers would be quite a pain in the ass for me...
Rooftree
I haven't used MIDI sync in the Infinity yet. But that's actually the reason I bought it. I'd like to have a drum machine running while I improvise loops on my keys.

A friend of mine bought the RC505 because he felt that its sync was better than any other for his particular setup.
Pris
It is not that you have to look at the display, but I did more than I wanted me to.
I used fadein, fadeout, synced loops, nonsynced loops, mixed synced/nonsynced patches, with master efx, reverse, individual volume, master volume, with track efx...
So there are a lot of possibilities, and then I was menu diving pretty hard.
Changing all that parameters is not so easy on the fly.
As a modular person you feel blessed with total recall of looping patches, but then I ended up prerecording some modular patches for a gig.
At that (long) gig i felt more like remixing my on patches than actually play my modular.
Well, after the gig I sold it. That,in short, is my story of me and the RC505.
To make it shorter: I need to be more limited in my possibilities.
Rooftree
"Limited possibilities" is a good way of unlocking creativity. I can see what you're saying.

I'm still going to consider the RC505 for the future. I'll have no problem ignoring its built-in effects. I guess I'll just need to get my hands on one some day and find out how I gel with it.
Pris
You should try it, imo it is still the best looper around..
But for people like me, the best is too good.
Rooftree
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice!

I just need to wait until I sell off all of the gear I'm not using. Once my shelves are clear I'll have the money and space to buy the RC505 and compare it to the Infinity.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6