MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Kermit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Kermit
Ras Thavas
A little early info on Kermit from Analog Haven-

"the harvestman "kermit" is a dual modulation generator with a cross-patched cv path and multiple frequency control modes. kermit can work either as a wide-range lfo, or a 1v/octave tracking utility audio oscillator. there is a bonus "tap tempo" mode that imitates the frequency of incoming pulses, with its own unique character.

each oscillator section has three parameters: frequency, amplitude, and waveshape. manual controls are present for each, as well as a single cv input (with attenuverter) that can be assigned to one of these parameters. the amplitude ("amount") control works as a digital vca, and the shape control smoothly morphs 16 waveshapes in the style of a single bank of "piston honda" waveforms. the included shapes range from the standard sine/tri/saw/square to digital noise and complex waveforms.

the output of each oscillator section is normalled to the cv input of the opposite one. by turning up the attenuverter and assigning the cv inputs to parameters of your choice, you can create complex, chaotic oscillations using no patch cords at all. for normal operation, turn the attenuator to the center position.

each section of kermit has two outputs: a bipolar, 10vp-p output and a unipolar 0-5v output. each behave correctly regarding the amplitude control: the bipolar output "grows outward" from 0v while the unipolar only ascends upwards from 0v. a led on each side provides continuous visual indication of the output state. these two different styles of output are provided for the greatest flexibility in modulation, as well as proper interfacing to the cv inputs of the harvestman digital audio electronics system."

Sounds really useful. For me I'm hoping the LFO mode can go very low and smooth, and that heavy duty hi frequency modulation action works without any occasional lock-ups, something that seems to happen w/ some digital modules when they're "over-worked".
thundermouse
eek!
Voggg
argh I already have my second case planned but I want this and Malgorithm and the new Andore. Looks great.
dropthedyle
[s]http://soundcloud.com/harvestman/kermit-audio-test[/s][/img]
ikkini
Wow ! Great !
VanEck
Yeah I am looking forward to this lil guy. Going to slap him in right next to the double andore for super top of cool modulation powerhouse fuck fest.
sensanalog
Wow, I cannot wait for this. Anyone have an ETA?
mats_j
sensanalog wrote:
Wow, I cannot wait for this. Anyone have an ETA?

Octember?

razz
the83
[s]https://soundcloud.com/theronhumiston/kermit-audio-2[/s]
[s]https://soundcloud.com/theronhumiston/kermit-audio-1[/s]
ignatius
soon. soon. applause
mats_j
Ctrl-mod seem to have these in stock now...

Quick, somebody buy one and make lots of demos!
Joe
home run scott!
ignatius
these should show up everywhere soon if not already.
WhiteIsBeautiful
trying to "get" this module. in my mind it would able to make two osc more of a complex osc? hmmm.....
Ras Thavas
Dear Governor, how slow can this go while doing LFO duties? I really want a modulator that can do very slow, smooth, glacial modulations. Everything else about this just screams "buy me now"...
gottberg
Is this the wavetable companion to the DA mk ii?

[EDIT] Scrap that... reread the relevant thread - I guess not.
ignatius
Ras Thavas wrote:
Dear Governor, how slow can this go while doing LFO duties? I really want a modulator that can do very slow, smooth, glacial modulations. Everything else about this just screams "buy me now"...

it goes really slow but some of the waveforms are like little patterns so even when as slow as possible it will jump then go slow again

so, depending on waveform its almost just holding flat! but others behave differently.

audio mode is pretty damned amazing. i wasnt expecting it to be so loveable as an oscillator.

also, self patching it is great. one in audio mode and one in lfo mode is amazingly groovy

shot a video today that will show up soonish. in the mean time i'll throw up some audio from the video asap
ignatius
here's a snippet of the audio from the video shoot today..

starts out w/just a waveform sweep and pitch sweep - there's a lot of bass. put on headphones or use speakers. laptop speakers won't cut it..

top in audio mode bottom in LFO mode. bottom modulates top. 1v/oct input i think was being fed by a sequencer but i can't remember.. maybe just bouncing through the wave forms.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/173579832" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments= true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
mats_j
Ignatius, can you explain how the "tap tempo" works? Does it "learn" a pattern like MI Peaks?
Ras Thavas
Thanks ignatius, nice demo and glad to hear that Kermit seems to do "slow" well. I'll be curious to see what the Kermit's lowest cycle time actually times out to, but this sounds encouraging.

I've been wanting something like a Vulcan Modulator, but able to do a very slow sine at the bottom knob setting. The tap tempo and wave table extras make this even more tempting.

How much overlap do you find Kermit has with the Piston Honda MKII? Obviously they share that nice Harvestman "fuzzy" interpolating sound, but having different wave sets and being biased for lower frequencies probably changes things a little.
ignatius
Ras Thavas wrote:
Thanks ignatius, nice demo and glad to hear that Kermit seems to do "slow" well. I'll be curious to see what the Kermit's lowest cycle time actually times out to, but this sounds encouraging.

I've been wanting something like a Vulcan Modulator, but able to do a very slow sine at the bottom knob setting. The tap tempo and wave table extras make this even more tempting.

How much overlap do you find Kermit has with the Piston Honda MKII? Obviously they share that nice Harvestman "fuzzy" interpolating sound, but having different wave sets and being biased for lower frequencies probably changes things a little.

i only recently got a PHMKII and i love it and i'm gassing hard for the kermit. the fact that there's two of them in one module and they're independent is really attractive. it's easy to cross patch and make really funky groovy patterns and wild modulations.

regarding the super slow waveform.. yeah.. the first waveform in it is pretty much a sine and it's practically just sitting there it's so slow. i'm not sure how slow it is but it seemed flat for a bit then started climbing.

as for overlap w/the PHMKII... tone is similar in audio mode but the PHMKII is way more complex w/way more waveforms and has the ext audio input and its main function is oscillator oscillator oscillator. the PH is really beautiful in places and the kermit has a much smaller range of waveforms.

i can see small systems w/2 kermits in them. dual oscillator in 10hp?? hell yeah. it's a really nice modulator and the waveforms are really useful and well chosen/designed. it's really fast and easy to use and dial in wave sweeps in any mode. it's just simple and good.

and it's 10HP! not 9 or 11 wink

mats_j wrote:
Ignatius, can you explain how the "tap tempo" works? Does it "learn" a pattern like MI Peaks?

i only experimented with tap tempo a bit. i think it's more like a clock sync scenario but per the manual it sort of "interprets" the incoming clock so in that regard i think it's going to be a bit looser and funky. i didn't do any real tests to confirm that though. it worked nicely and predictably.
VanEck
thanks for the demos ignatius. got one of these ordered and on the way. much excite.
ignatius
VanEck wrote:
thanks for the demos ignatius. got one of these ordered and on the way. much excite.

sure. thumbs up

there should be some videos showing up soon on the MW blog as well. smile
EarlJemmings
For anyone wondering, I've heared from someone who spoke with the guv that Kermit is named after basketball player Kermit Washington, who punched a guy so hard it ended both of their carriers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_Washington

Gonna have to get this one. I feel like it'll be so good in a feedback patch.
burnn_out!
What's the current draw on this bad boy?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7