MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

ADDAC207 - Firmware Upgrade Process: Issues / Questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ADDAC207 - Firmware Upgrade Process: Issues / Questions

ADDAC System

Dear all,
Hope everyone is well.

Following up the 207 threads we decided to create 2 threads for these matters!

This thread has to do only with Firmware upgrades related issues, errors, doubts, connections, etc.
For us to be able to help please keep your posts informative, tell us which platform you're using (win/mac), which serial-usb device you're using and how you're making your connections.

Also created another thread for any bug reporting on the latest Firmware.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1689585#1689585

With these 2 threads we can separate any issues that may arise from these processes.

RELATED LINKS (edited March 2nd, 2015):

Here's the direct link for our Firmware Upgrade Guide:
http://addacsystem.com/firmwares/ADDAC207_FirmwareGuide.pdf

Here's the direct link to our latest Firmware .hex file for Windows users (vs: J9 ) - last update March 2nd, 2015:
http://addacsystem.com/firmwares/ADDAC207_FIRMWARE_HEX.zip

Here's the direct link to our Firmware Upgrade OSX App (vs: J9) - last update March 2nd, 2015:
http://addacsystem.com/firmwares/ADDAC207_FIRMWARE.zip

all the very best
andre

meatbeatz

Excellent! Andre, could you please give us an idiot proof rundown on the upgrade procedure via the Mac app? The instructions for the app aren't included in the firmware guide. Is it as simple as making the connections, following the prompts on the app, then powering up at the precise moment as pressing 'upgrade firmware' button?

Also the link to the Mac app appears to be broken. EDIT: Fixed

ADDAC System

Yes, the Mac App is self-explanatory.
Just make all connections like described in the .pdf guide, click through the App, power the synth when the App tells you to and that should be it!

all the very best
andre

stega

Ok I think I have done the update procedure properly.. Is there any way to tell what firmware is loaded by looking at the module??

The text below is what the updater read...

+ ------------------------------------------------------- +

#### ### ### #### ####
# # # # # # # # #
#### # # # # #### #
# # # # # # # # #
# # ### ### # # ####

#### # # #### ##### #### ### ###
# # # # # # # # #
#### #### #### # ## # # #
# # # # # # # #
#### #### #### # #### # # #

ADDAC207 Firmware Update . version : I3

USB-Serial Device Found: /dev/tty.usbserial-A9G7R95D

Starting Check List:
Arduino Installed
Double Checked connections!
Initializing the upgrade process:
Burning new Firmware!
(USB-Serial Board Leds should be blinking by now)

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: reading input file "ADDAC207_L_3.hex"
avrdude: input file ADDAC207_L_3.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (30074 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 15.02s

avrdude: 30074 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against ADDAC207_L_3.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file ADDAC207_L_3.hex:
avrdude: input file ADDAC207_L_3.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file ADDAC207_L_3.hex contains 30074 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 12.73s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 30074 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

All Done!
Happy Patching!

+ ----------------------------------- + ADDAC System.2014 +

meatbeatz

I get the same as I got previously:

Quote:
avrdude: ser open (): can't open device "-b": No such file or directory
ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Operation not supported by device

avrdude done. Thank you.

I'm using the Mac app with an Arduino UNO. I've installed the Arduino App and selected the Board (Arduino UNO) and Serial Port (/dev/tty.usbmodem3d11) so the device is showing up on the Arduino App. I've tried both TX>RX/RX>TX and RX>RX/TX>TX.

I wonder if I've messed with something in the Mac Terminal when I originally tried updating manually on the same computer.. I'm not a Mac person so I don't know enough about it. There's obviously something missing in the upgrade process if I'm getting the above message as I've done everything to the letter a dozen or so times.

stega since updating have you noticed an improvement with triggering all four channels simultaneously?

Hirsbro

I not tried the latest firmware but can you confirm that I did it the right way last time I did it please.. see vid of how I did it.
I would like to know before I try the latest firmware and get my hopes up.

Hirsbro

so..? seriously, i just don't get it

Refund

all the documentation makes complete sense to me, but if it's possible for someone to make a video showing an example of the 'timing' showing how the the "upload then 'immediately' turn on of the module" step is done, that would make me feel a whole lot more comfortable with the process

I probably won't have the usb/serial adapter for another week so I'm hoping someone can do a video before then

Hirsbro

Refund wrote:
all the documentation makes complete sense to me, but if it's possible for someone to make a video showing an example of the 'timing' showing how the the "upload then 'immediately' turn on of the module" step is done, that would make me feel a whole lot more comfortable with the process

I probably won't have the usb/serial adapter for another week so I'm hoping someone can do a video before then

did you watch my video? it shows when I turn on the module and my upload was successful screaming goo yo

__ag

Hello,
Thanks for the video Hirsbro!
all the very best
andre

Refund

Hirsbro wrote:
Refund wrote:

did you watch my video? it shows when I turn on the module and my upload was successful screaming goo yo

d'oh!

cheers!

overjoid

Hello -

As I understand it, with the new firmware, using "trig.R" menu - button 2, you can turn off CV-detection/interval-creation. Fantastic.

Waiting on a serial adapter, I'm wondering exactly what's changed about gate detection.
With the new firmware, will it be able to handle exceedingly slow music without switching over to un-triggered operation? (. . . without it "thinking" there are no gates coming?)

I'd like some of my notes to last several minutes before the next trigger. Ideally shouldn't be a problem with a digital quantizer.

Chugging Beers
cheers

Refund

the firmware seemed to update just fine

but I can't seem to get the button 2 (assuming this means the c# button) to toggle on and off to indicate whether it is/isn't tracking channels 234 from channel 1

edit:

I figured it out

in the windows software section of the firmware update pdf, there is a link to the hex file you're supposed to use, but it links to an older version of the hex file (this is an error in the document)

the version you need to upload is the one linked in the post, and not the one erronously listed in the step by step document, they should fix it so that other people don't have the same problem down the line

edit 2:

also, the trigger repeat and ch234-slaved-to-1 options don't save between power cycles (have already tried saving it to preset 1 and it doesn't work)

it would be nice if it was able to be saved on startup

__ag

Hello,

I read through the last comments and made a new update (J_6) to save the CH234 slave to 1 setting in overall memory, so now it should keep your pre-defined setting after startup.

So with that setting off channels 234 will never be listening to channel one, with this long intervals between gates will not be a problem.

all the very best
andre

Refund

thank you! I'll try it now

edit: just updated to the windows hex j6 firmware and confirmed it went through, but it's still not saving ch234>1 settings
(also note that I saved settings to preset 1 just like before (and thanks for the quick reply))

Audio Dependent

having some problems…

I can't see the USB thing I have bought in my Arduino list. in fact I can't see tools>port as you describe it. I see tools>serial port and then just bluetooth devices.

I am on my 2nd USB thing as the first one I bought I choose one which came with some cables as this is not the sort of stuff i have but i thought it wasn't exactly the right one. so i bought another one, exactly as you describe, even pictured in you guide but that doesn't show up either.

This may seem super simple and the cheapest option to you, but i'm not so sure…

I have this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HSX3GT4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_ =oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

and this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GNPJ1CE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_ =oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

NS4W

Audio Dependent wrote:
having some problems…

I can't see the USB thing I have bought in my Arduino list. in fact I can't see tools>port as you describe it. I see tools>serial port and then just bluetooth devices.

I am on my 2nd USB thing as the first one I bought I choose one which came with some cables as this is not the sort of stuff i have but i thought it wasn't exactly the right one. so i bought another one, exactly as you describe, even pictured in you guide but that doesn't show up either.

This may seem super simple and the cheapest option to you, but i'm not so sure…

I have this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HSX3GT4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_ =oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

and this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GNPJ1CE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_ =oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Check to see if it actually has a FTDI chip on it, if not you are gonna need different drivers in order to communicate with it over USB. I recently had some trouble connecting with a chinese arduino clone, and it turned out I needed different drivers, check this link ---> http://kiguino.moos.io/2014/12/31/how-to-use-arduino-nano-mini-pro-wit h-CH340G-on-mac-osx-yosemite.html

NS4W

The manual of the module should be updated accordingly to the changes made. I think people are getting confused about where to get coherent and updated information about how the module works with the latest firmware. Just a suggestion! w00t

NS4W

In other words, on the addac homepage the latest manual revision is dated July 2013 - please make a manual for J9 firmware

Hirsbro

NS4W wrote:
In other words, on the addac homepage the latest manual revision is dated July 2013 - please make a manual for J9 firmware

Yes please Dead Banana

JJCarr

yesssssssss, doing this tonight!

Riggar

Well I've spent a whole afternoon with this and got nowhere.

I've used 2 PCs and both a usb serial adapter and an arduino uno board (minus chip) - so that's 4 permutations and zilch, nader, nothing. Xloader just sits there saying uploading - and never changes.

Very frustrating.

Is there anyway of telling what version is in the machine? There seems to be various flashing lights etc. when I switch on.

No sure where I go from here?

Riggar

Sorted!

As I was thinking about it as I drifted off to sleep (as you do!) - this morning I thought I'd just check those leads from usb device to the addac 207 AND they were the wrong way around. Doh! If you do it check ya tx's and your rx's carefully!

Now up and fully loaded.

Now I know - the process is actually quite easy.

meatbeatz

Can anyone that has installed J9 firmware please confirm whether this has solved the issues with triggering all four channels simultaneously?

meatbeatz

In the first post on this thread it says:

Quote:
Here's the direct link to our Firmware Upgrade OSX App (vs: J9) - last update March 2nd, 2015:

Yet this post was last updated on:

Quote:
Last edited by ADDAC System on Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:24 am; edited 2 times in total

How can that be? Am I going crazy? If not, I'm about to!!!!!

So I download the J9 firmware via the above link, open in Mac OSX Finder to find that J9 firmware file was created was 6/8/2014.

There is no documentation for J9 but I have been told by Andre that all gate issues have been fixed with J9. Can somebody please set me straight? very frustrating

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2