MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wobbly Make Noise pots
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Wobbly Make Noise pots
Knobtwister
I really love the MN modules, but the pots on both my wogglebug and math's are a bit wobbly and I'm a bit afraid that they might break some day. All pots work like they should, but still, I can't help to worry about them. Is this common for the MN modules or is it just my modules? Is there a sollution for making them more stable?
Cybananna
Arey you talking about the knobs or the pots themselves being a bit wiggly. I'm not with my system at the moment but I know some makers use pots with a little "play", and that is normal. If it's actually the knobs, you can remove them and put a small piece of tape on the pot shaft and push the knobs back on and they will be tight.
itijik
That is how they are on my Maths too. I think a lot of people complained about the same thing when the wogglebug came out.
Knobtwister
I'm talking about the pots, sorry for being unclear in the post.
shamann
The pots on my Maths and QMMG are a little wobbly too. But I've not looked closer to see if they can be tightened.

The pots on my Hertz Donut are even more wobbly. I'm pretty gentle with them, so I don't worry much about them, but I do wish they were a little firmer.
Knobtwister
I've got some skills with soldering iron and in electronics, but not enought to be comfortable to fix them myself if they would break. Hopefully they won't, but you never know... ambulance
Cybananna
I'd say it's normal and with normal usage they will be fine. Harvestman uses loose feeling pots too and the hold up fine. It's the way the pots are designed.

I've had no issues with my make noise or harvestman since I've had them.
theglyph
Knobtwister wrote:
I've got some skills with soldering iron and in electronics, but not enought to be comfortable to fix them myself if they would break. Hopefully they won't, but you never know... ambulance

They are PCB mounted pots. No reason to be concerned. It's highly unlikely they will break.
Cybananna
They should only break with abuse IMO.
Knobtwister
Thanks for the answers! I just love my modular soo much and since I'm a poor student I can't afford to buy modules very often. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to penetrate some inputs with some wogglelove hihi
Mr White
Cybananna wrote:
I'd say it's normal and with normal usage they will be fine. Harvestman uses loose feeling pots too and the hold up fine. It's the way the pots are designed.

I've had no issues with my make noise or harvestman since I've had them.

+2
sometime ago I pointed out the same feeling. no need to fix, they're normal.
SquidInSquidInk
In my experience, pot stiffness falls into the same 3 buckets as knob styles: Doepfer/TipTop feel solid and tight, Make Noise/Harvestman feel loose, Malekko/Livewire are in between. All work fine, just feel different.
ersatzplanet
I don't have any Make Noise modules in my rig so if they dont use this type of pot this won't answer any questions about that unit.
Many PCB mounted pots with plastic shafts don't have bushings (actually, most of them) will wobble. That is unfortunately the nature of their design. Many mixers use them and mask the wobble by having custom knobs that have shoulders that go through the metalwork and will absorb the pressure that is transmitted to the pot when they are banged or bumped. Mackie did this on their compact mixers and you can even stand on the older ones and they will survive fine. The worst thing you can do to these pots is to hit them straight on to the shaft - this will transfer all the force to the phenolic or plastic wafer that has the resistive element screened on it. Sometimes this can crack the phenolic or cause the wiper to dig a rut into the resistive element.
The danger of breaking the pot is all relative to the space between the knob and the metalwork - if there is lots of space, the pot shaft can travel farther when bumped allowing more damage. Same goes for the size of the hole the shaft goes through - the larger hole means the shaft can rock further when hit sideways which can loosen it up over time.
Pots with metal shafts or bushings are usually quite a bit more expensive than the ones without. That is why you will be seeing them more and more on modules where the manufacturer has to cut every penny he can. If not abused these pots can last a very long time with no problems - they will always wobble though.

-James
ST UF FLI N EAR
I have the feeling the Harvestmans are much wobblier then the Makenoise.
I think that is because the Harvestmans have more space between the knob and the plate. Both have plastic shafts i think.
Such a major difference with the doepfers. Same with resistance when turning them.
makenoise
I use these pots because I like the smooth, fast feel of them and because they best suite the type of assembly that I utilize. I could get the panel mounted, metal shaft pots used by Doepfer for roughly the same cost, but I prefer the part that is used in Make Noise modules.

T
ersatzplanet
makenoise wrote:
I use these pots because I like the smooth, fast feel of them and because they best suite the type of assembly that I utilize. I could get the panel mounted, metal shaft pots used by Doepfer for roughly the same cost, but I prefer the part that is used in Make Noise modules.

T

Pots without bushings will feel a lot more smoother for sure - less mechanical friction etc. In the pro-audio market, the feel can be everything. I remember at a previous employer trying out all the asian pot makers goods to see which one felt the best with our knob choices. In the old days some manufactures used special goop they concocted, shot into the shaft bushing to make them feel smoother. Anyone who has found an old TAPCO mixer with pots you can't turn has run into where this can go terribly wrong.

Basically almost all pots out there will last forever if treated well. The choice of which ones to use is governed by so many factors - ergonomics, PCB layout, shaft type (D or spline or round) and feel.

Of all the pots on all the gear I have ever used, the ones that stand out the most were the ones used on the first E-Mu modulars. They were incredibly fast, almost like there wasn't a pot mechanism. They were Bourns or AB pots and VERY expensive parts but man you felt it. You could be adjusting one setting a reach out with your pinky finger and turn another easily. A very light effortless touch.

-James
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1