MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Will this work?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Will this work?
Mans
I’ve been doing a lot of reading , listening and watching regarding all things modular the last couple of weeks trying to figure out what would be my best entry into this wonderful world.

Right now I only care about producing those incredibly fresh sounds that I’ve been listening to. I listened to a multitracked Hertz Donut on its own (no filters etc) and it completely blew me away (http://soundcloud.com/navs/patch-of-the-day-hertzsounds2). The QMMG had the same effect (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMnsFtM8sv0).

For now I’ve decided I want a ‘simple’ midi sequence-able mono synth capable of sounds not to be found in normal mono synths. I've come up with this:

This is what I’ve figured out so far: The Donut gets its pitch from the A190 CV1. The signal from the Donut can be multied and goes into the QMMG. The QMMGs control signal is shaped by the Maths. The Maths can function as two voltage controlled ASR envelopes by receiving a gate signal from the A190 and midi velocity information from the A190 CV2.

I think this will work but I’m not sure. So my question (before spending all that cash wink ) is, will it?
jonkull
I'd lose the mult and get a few TipTop Stack Cables and use that 4hp space for something better. I think the A190 is a waste of space but that's only because I use Silent Way. If you don't have a Silent Way (or Volta) compatible audio interface then I guess the A190 will be useful to you.
incekt
loose the a190 for an a190-2.. without a sequencer, you don't need all that..
Monobass
Well I'm essentially going for the same system, already have the Donut.. and the QMMG and Maths will turn up in the next few days according to post modular...

Those 3 modules are really flexible. I am fully convinced it will rock and there are plenty of people with the same basic system confirming it smile

I also have a 4HP Plan B LFO and I'm going to make a breakout panel for my Volta connection via a motu 828 mkII
authorless
yes, i believe it would. and you will be able to get some pretty cool sounds going too. really cool for a starter system.
SquidInSquidInk
Even if you plan on never buying any more modules than these, get a 6U case. You will eventually want to expand and there are a few different 6U options that provide good bang-for-your-buck. I don't know of any 3U Doepfer-style cases that are available right now. The MW case provides plenty of attenuators and mults, which leaves more rack space for fun stuff. You could also use an external MIDI-to-CV converter if you don't mind the system being not fully self-contained.
Mans
incekt wrote:
loose the a190 for an a190-2.. without a sequencer, you don't need all that..

I would love to get into sequencing at a later stage so I planned ahead a little.

funtykigs wrote:
I am fully convinced it will rock and there are plenty of people with the same basic system confirming it smile

SlayerBadger!

Me too I just hope I'm not overlooking something.
Monobass
Well I am going to try out a few of the TipTop stackable cables and also I will probably make multiples and passive attenuators myself.

Kinda like SquidInSquidInk suggests I'm going for a 9U case, I'm in no doubt about what my future holds... All my vague plans for 'medium term' systems were coming in just over 6U so I decided to bite the bullet.
Mans
The Maths use a 16 pin cable to connect to the power supply. Does this mean it automatically receives gate information from the A190?

DasDachshund
SquidInSquidInk wrote:
Even if you plan on never buying any more modules than these, get a 6U case. You will eventually want to expand and there are a few different 6U options that provide good bang-for-your-buck. I don't know of any 3U Doepfer-style cases that are available right now. The MW case provides plenty of attenuators and mults, which leaves more rack space for fun stuff. You could also use an external MIDI-to-CV converter if you don't mind the system being not fully self-contained.

Totally agree and that's exactly why I went with MW.

In case the original poster settles on 3U, ASol makes a 3U plastic case
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/as0084.htm

Mans wrote:
The Maths use a 16 pin cable to connect to the power supply. Does this mean it automatically receives gate information from the A190?

Mine doesn't huh? but my A140 does.
EDIT: Upon further inspection, the maths ribbon does not use all of the connections on the socket
Pardon the crappy photo:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4329201495_83510d1591.jpg
dougcl
Love it. Clap
Veqtor
Hmm, with only one harvestman module, shouldn't you end up with an uneven number of HP units?
tIB
Heres the fairly similar system Ive gone for... just waiting on the PP release...

btw I went the way of tiptop stackables.
Mans
tIB wrote:
Heres the fairly similar system Ive gone for... just waiting on the PP release...

Very cool!

Quote:
btw I went the way of tiptop stackables.

I think for me a combo will be best.

Looks like I'll be sending out some orders this weekend. Thanks all!
felix
Absolutely it would. Don't both multing one output of the Hertz Donut...that will be rather boring. Send each output into a different channel on the QMMG and adjust the channel levels like a mixer (use voltages from the Maths and CV2 on the 190. This is *far* more interesting sounding than mults of the same audio out, especially when the primary and mod oscillators on the hertz are tuned to some sort of harmonic interval (octaves, 5ths, etc).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1