MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

VCAs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author VCAs
beyourdog
Great system, still sometimes i miss having more VCAs to make modulations a bit more dynamic..
The system is so rich, do you use only the VCAs of each VCO or WFC or is there anything hidden that we can use for the same purpose?

On a different note, the lfos in high mode are good for drones...good set of spare VCOs in the Borg...

Thanks[/list]
Ekofisk
The mixolator?
beyourdog
Ekofisk wrote:
The mixolator?

Yep you can use the segway section from the x and Y output that's an idea..
Cat-A-Tonic
Pairing a row of Frac with Wiard 300 seems like an obvious choice.

If you did, the Blacet Super VCA would be a good choice.
drumsofd00m
beyourdog wrote:
Ekofisk wrote:
The mixolator?

I thought that this and crossfading are the core purposes of the Mixolator, with the cross-panning and ringmod capabilities thrown in as a bonus.

In the same way, the VC crossfader in the Dual Envelator can be used as a VCA. Dummy plug into MIX IN 1 (to disrupt the normalization from the left side envelope), audio signal into MIX IN 2, CV into MIX MOD; MIXMOD knob now determines the output's maximum level and MIX knob the minimum (usually set fcw and fccw, respectively). Reverse the inputs to use the CV inversely.

More Wiard VCA details:

In the Mixolator, contrary to the Env crossfader, going from X to Y or from Y to X will give slightly different results because of the peculiar panning curve. Because of this curve it's also a bit fiddly to use as an evenly working VC panner (but still easy to use as a VC switch or VC splitting router).

The CVCO & WFC onboard VCA is exponential, the Envelator crossfader is linear, the Mixolator can be anything between linear and logarithmic. Hence envelopes going into ZMOD for plain VCA purposes should usually have expontial slopes. My Mixolator also seems to have more CV bleed/ thump than the VCAs.

The VCAs allow for ca. 1.25 to 1.33 x unity gain.

If memory serves, Grant once said the Borg filters could be used as CV attenuators too, because due to the optocouplers they have no highpass threshold/ aren't AC coupled. I haven't tried this yet.

(Edited for typos)
drumsofd00m
P.S. Joysticks and the Sequantizer make good sources for adding DC offset in either mixer/ fader. Offset is what's missing in the Mixolator if compared to the Buchla 257 CV processor that seems to have inspired it.
beyourdog
drumsofd00m wrote:
beyourdog wrote:
Ekofisk wrote:
The mixolator?

I thought that this and crossfading are the core purposes of the Mixolator, with the cross-panning and ringmod capabilities thrown in as a bonus.

In the same way, the VC crossfader in the Dual Envelator can be used as a VCA. Dummy plug into MIX IN 1 (to disrupt the normalization from the left side envelope), audio signal into MIX IN 2, CV into MIX MOD; MIXMOD knob now determines the output's maximum level, MIXMOD knob the minimum (usually set fcw and fccw, respectively). Reverse the inputs to use the CV inversely.

More Wiard VCA details:

In the Mixolator, contrary to the Env crossfader, going from X to Y or from Y to X will give slightly different results because of the peculiar panning curve. Because of this curve it's also a bit fiddly to use as an evenly working VC panner (but still easy to use as a VC switch or VC splitting router).

The CVCO & WFC onboard VCA is exponential, the Envelator crossfader is linear, the Mixolator can be anything between linear and logarithmic. Hence envelopes going into ZMOD for plain VCA purposes should usually have expontial slopes. My Mixolator also seems to have more CV bleed/ thump than the VCAs.

The VCAs allow for ca. 1.25 to 1.33 x unity gain.

If memory serves, Grant once said the Borg filters could be used as CV attenuators too, because due to the optocouplers they have no highpass threshold/ aren't AC coupled. I haven't tried this yet.

Very good, thanks for that, exactly what I was looking for....The greatness with this system is that there is always different possibilities for anything :-)
thank you... thumbs up
plord
Confirm that the Borgs go down to DC. I'm not sure I can actually hear the vacgtrol lag when shaping CV (like say Wogglebug output) but I enjoy pretending that I can hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1