MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Getting started with Modcan B
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Getting started with Modcan B
MrDys
I mentioned in another thread that I'm planning out a Modcan B system. consumed had this to add:

consumed wrote:
MrDys wrote:
I'm actually considering something far more expensive; a Modcan rack.

if you're going the B route, remember the modcan modules will sit just fine on motm rack rails ($49, soon to be $59). the modcan rack sure does look pretty though.

After looking through both the motm and modcan site, I still have no better understanding of what I actually need to get up and running. Common sense tells me: some kind of mounting material, power distribution card, and power supply.

Mounting rails I can understand, it's the power distribution and power supply that I do not. For example: what is the difference between (from the modcan site) Internal Power supply (rear mount), Power Supply 50B, and 19" Rack mount kit (10U wide)? From what I understand, the rack mount kit contains the power distribution, but does the internal power supply and the 50B? And the utter lack of pictures on the motm store site gives me no idea about which power products I should even be considering.

I guess I should probably outline my ideal end result, so that I can get some guidance on how to get there. I'm probably going to mount it in something like an SKB mixer case (I'm not really into the modular-as-furniture thing), so rails are ideal (and cheaper), but I want a rear-mounted power supply because I hate giving up rack space to an on/off switch.

So...help?
consumed
the modcan rack rails include power distribution; the motm do not.
with power for motm or modcan, you will be giving up panel space.
(motm psus contain a relatively generous number of connectors behind the panel for distribution btw.)
however, if you get an additional set of rails, you can mount your modcan/motm power supply on the back of your rack?

btw: you can use a blacet psu to power your modcan modules.
you will have to find a mounting scheme (or not) for it though, which i dont think would be too difficult.

note: modcan uses a 3-wire configuration for delivering power, instead of motm's 4-pin arrangement. when you order from bruce/modcan, let him know and he will make you the right terminator on the power cable for motm or blacet power supplies.
consumed
i believe the "internal power supply" is for the cases only, to prevent using panel space for it (the 50b).
sandyb
for my MOTM and Modcan B series i'm using a synthesizers.com power supply with a q137 to connect it to the mains. details are on this page:

http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html

for distribution i'm connecting it to a MOTM 960 board (+/- 15v only - modcan doesn't use 5v). details here:

http://www.synthtech.com/testcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&pro ducts_id=180&zenid=42f529ce821e00449e3278b8eb810755

the modules are in a simple wooden cabinet i built myself.
the dotcom power supply is essentially the same as the MOTM ones - the q137 sits at the back of the cabinet. as consumed said - just ask Bruce to terminate the power leads in MOTM connectors and you'll be fine smile

hth

sandy
thermionicjunky
If you aren't going to be powering too many modules, you could get the Synthesizers.com wall-wart supply http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html#qps2 ,
and use the MOTM 995 adapter board http://www.synthtech.com/testcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPa th=67&products_id=183&zenid=42f529ce821e00449e3278b8eb810755 and get 4-pin to 3-pin cables from Bruce.
MrDys
Oh man, that wallwart option would have been perfect. Too bad the CV Recorder sucks up 200 of the 250 available mA.

This is very good though, it's gotten me to think differently about how to approach power. Thanks for all the responses thus far.
MrDys
After much looking around the internets, I think this is what I'm going to do:

This is the case.

Up top, it's 10U, so that's enough for two rows of modules. The bottom compartment is 3U, which is enough for a MOTM PSU mounted on its side. My only concerns at this point are the depth of the modules hitting the bottom-mounted PSU, but I don't think there's much in the way of internet research that could really help me out with that one. I'll just have to get it and see how it works out.

But yeah, nice solid road case, tilty module rows, and the powersupply is out of the way. Couldn't ask for a better setup. Thanks guys.
sandyb
MrDys wrote:
After much looking around the internets, I think this is what I'm going to do:

This is the case.

Up top, it's 10U, so that's enough for two rows of modules. The bottom compartment is 3U, which is enough for a MOTM PSU mounted on its side. My only concerns at this point are the depth of the modules hitting the bottom-mounted PSU, but I don't think there's much in the way of internet research that could really help me out with that one. I'll just have to get it and see how it works out.

But yeah, nice solid road case, tilty module rows, and the powersupply is out of the way. Couldn't ask for a better setup. Thanks guys.

cool. what modules are you planning to put in there?
if it helps at all - i just measured my cv recorder and it's approx 4.75 inches deep.

sandy
MrDys
I'm starting with a Dual Quantizer and CV Recorder. To be followed by a Digital Delay and the new Quad LFO. Not sure after that point. Possibly multiples of the above, depending on how well they work out for me.

In any event, Bruce is heading in a direction I very much like, so I'm sure there'll be something.
Roycie Roller
I agree about Modcan heading in an interesting & exciting direction- they are really forging new areas of synthesizer design. From what i can tell, the CV Recorder is a 'bee's knees' kind of module. Fantastic for looping audio & external instruments such as piano. Their philosophy of packing many, many functions into one module means that a rack with 4 or 5 modules can be a super-powerful effects rack. I intend to get something along the lines of what you're getting, MrDys.
I love the fact that Modcan are experimenting with IC's and therefore new synthesis methods, rather than running over old ground.
BTW Sandy, how are you liking the cv recorder & how have you been using it? And i notice a lone Blacet mini-wave up top of your cabinet. Can you run frac modules of a Modcan B (or similar) power supply?
-cheers,
Roycie
consumed
modcan b, motm, blacet (all frac rack) are power compatible (except for the 5v motm modules like the '650, '730 and a few other newer designs). the only difference is the physical format of the power cable with modcan b, which can be easily altered by bruce/modcan, or by yourself with a blacet power cable kit.
MrDys
Oh neat. I really only picked the 3U bottom case so that the PSU would not take up rack space, but now I guess I can shove a couple frac modules in there as well. Binary Zone, here I come.
sandyb
Roycie Roller wrote:
I agree about Modcan heading in an interesting & exciting direction- they are really forging new areas of synthesizer design. From what i can tell, the CV Recorder is a 'bee's knees' kind of module. Fantastic for looping audio & external instruments such as piano. Their philosophy of packing many, many functions into one module means that a rack with 4 or 5 modules can be a super-powerful effects rack. I intend to get something along the lines of what you're getting, MrDys.
I love the fact that Modcan are experimenting with IC's and therefore new synthesis methods, rather than running over old ground.
BTW Sandy, how are you liking the cv recorder & how have you been using it? And i notice a lone Blacet mini-wave up top of your cabinet. Can you run frac modules of a Modcan B (or similar) power supply?
-cheers,
Roycie

i use my cv recorder in pretty much every patch these days - it has become one of my favourite modules and worth every one of the 630 dollars it cost. as consumed said - no problem running blacet/modcan/motm off the same supply although i'm actually planning to move the miniwave over to my euro system once planb release the conversion kit. i may buy a modcan one at some point in the future.
Roycie Roller
Thanks, that's good to know. Wow. Best of frac/Modcan B here i come. I can imagine the possibilities with 10 of each. That has made my day.
sandyb
Roycie Roller wrote:
Thanks, that's good to know. Wow. Best of frac/Modcan B here i come. I can imagine the possibilities with 10 of each. That has made my day.

w00t
MrDys
I finally put in my first order of Modcan today. I'll be getting a Dual Quantizer, CV Recorder, and the fancy new Quad LFO. The deposit was only about a month's rent, but I have a feeling it'll be well worth it.

Bruce says it's looking like the end of October for delivery, which, after waiting two months for my Plan B ELF stuff, I am more than fine with that.

Yay!
sandyb
w00t that's great! those 3 modules alone should be a whole load of fun to explore and get to know.
i've got a quantizer and quad lfo arriving along with a couple more modules in september - can't wait. the good thing with bruce is that his delivery estimates are nearly always, in my experience, spot on so you should get your modules when you expect them.

sandy
thermionicjunky
There is so much power in those three modules. I've been tempted by that quantizer, if only for the Pelog tuning, which I've been obsessed with since playing in a Javanese gamelan ensemble in college. The CV Recorder/Quad LFO combination is profoundly powerful, particularly with the quadrature and rotate functions of the Quad LFO. I wish that I could afford anything right now, but especially some more Modcan B.
MrDys
Can anyone point me to a place where I can get 1/8" to 1/4" cables (or at the very least, a bunch of inexpensive 1/4" patch cables)?
consumed
MrDys wrote:
Can anyone point me to a place where I can get 1/8" to 1/4" cables (or at the very least, a bunch of inexpensive 1/4" patch cables)?

i bought a few 1/4" lengths from seismic audio recently and the cables are decent for the price, although you should pick up some plumber's(?) tape so you can keep the barrels tightly screwed down for awhile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140261569776

other than those, synthesizers.com would probably be your next stop--a bit more expensive but nicer quality too, and very competitively priced.
sandyb
i use synthesizers.com cables. never had any issues so definitely worth the (not unreasonable) cost.
synthetic
Your link to a cabinet didn't work for me. I built a MOTM cabinet out of walnut and used Bridechamber rails.

http://www.jefflaity.com/gallery/motmcabinet

I believe you can just use standard 19" rack rails to build a MOTM cabinet. After building mine I had some laying around and they seem to work. The 1u size is the same and the screw holes seem to line up. So that would be a way to build on on the cheap, either order Middle Atlantic rails, sacrifice an old rack, etc.

Once you get started, check out some of the kits and modules at Bridechamber. He has some very affordable stuff for the format. The MOTM modules are awesome quality and not difficult to build.

For power, I bought a Power One supply on eBay for $40 and matched it with the Synthtech MOTM power distribution board.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/ps.htm

Finally, be sure to post some music when it's up and running. smile
synthetic
It's nice to see someone not building a "miniature" modular on this board! wink
metasonix
>you could get the Synthesizers.com wall-wart supply http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html#qps2

Hmm, I didn't know about that thing. Wonder where Roger gets them.

That would be perfect to run certain kinds of tube modules.....
thermionicjunky
>Hmm, I didn't know about that thing. Wonder where Roger gets them.

That would be perfect to run certain kinds of tube modules.....

My wall-wart says Elpac medical grade power supply model MED115.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3