Amalgamod - AGM104 Low Profile Passive Busboard

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Amalgamod - AGM104 Low Profile Passive Busboard

Post by meatbeatz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:40 am

Here's a peek at our new AGM104 passive board. These have been designed (with the help of Elby Designs) for our shallow and folding travel cases to maximize the usable depth of the case. We opted for a passive board to keep heat inside the case to a minimum but also to allow the user a choice of power supply.

The AGM104 features 2oz copper PCB tracks with each power outlet tapping off a super wide PCB common bus. The +/-12V and 0V rails are reinforced with custom tin-plated copper busbars which significantly lowers impedance across the board (and therefore unwanted modulation of the power rails) while also acting as a PCB stiffener. The board also features shrouded IDC headers, noise filtering on each of the 22 outlets and common CV/Gate and 5V busses. 5V is supplied via an optional Elby 5V adaptor.

These will be fitted as standard in our travel cases but if there was enough interest I'd be happy to sell them separately. Price soon to follow...

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:43 am

Nice. Might be interested if price was right. :tu:
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:48 am

Are the ends of the busbars blade connectors?

I can't see how the board is connected to a PSU :hmm:

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 am

LoFi Junglist wrote:Are the ends of the busbars blade connectors?

I can't see how the board is connected to a PSU :hmm:
The PSU is connected via crimp connectors directly to the busbars with star washers and nut/bolt for a solid connection. The boards can be supplied sans busbars in which case spade connectors are used. If you look closely you'll see the footprint for the spade connector on the right hand side.

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 am

Nice to see constant development in all areas of Euro :tu:

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:26 am

Nice! Hopefully all the keyed headers are mounted correctly otherwise I guess you have to make a new one.. I mena sometimes you let the cables go right and sometime left but the key is normally to the right..

..also, how many mm are we talking here? the key header is tilted 90° I always felt they were equally tall as wide? :despair:

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:59 am

Summa wrote:Nice! Hopefully all the keyed headers are mounted correctly otherwise I guess you have to make a new one.. I mena sometimes you let the cables go right and sometime left but the key is normally to the right..
I would hope so! :hihi: If your cables are made correctly the cable cannot be plugged in backwards. Also the -12V pins are marked on the PCB.

For the record, the best way to minimize the risk of frying a module is to have keyed headers on the busboard, make sure that any cable that come into your possession is made correctly (arrow on red stripe) and the red stripe is on the modules -12V. When swapping out modules only unplug from the busboard. It is virtually impossible to plug a module in backwards (even blindfolded) if you follow these steps. Without keyed headers on the busboard you have to make sure the pins are aligned and oriented correctly every time you install a module.
Summa wrote:..also, how many mm are we talking here? the key header is tilted 90° I always felt they were equally tall as wide? :despair:
They are the same height (9mm) either way but not once you plug in a IDC cable, which takes it up to 18-20mm.

oscillateur
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oscillateur » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:05 am

How do you power it then ?

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:20 am

oscillateur wrote:How do you power it then ?
Currently there are two options.

1. The soon to be announced AGM105 power unit, which is an external SMPS/linear hybrid supply suitable for 12U-15U. This however is a tad costly to power a 6/7U travel case. More info soon..

2. 2 x 12V Cincon TRG36A SMPS bricks. These are low profile and can be strapped together to form a compact supply.

Otherwise you can use any +/-12V supply you like.

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:22 am

@meatbeatz: congrats!
may I ask why TWO cincon bricks? is it to power a 6U case with two distros?
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:31 am

I thought the bus bar was really only necessary on the ground plane because the ground plane is also used as a reference by pretty much all circuits. AFAIK, only very poorly designed circuits would ever rely on the +12V/-12V rails as a reference. Still wouldn't hurt I guess :tu:

I love the look of your cases btw.

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:35 am

akrylik wrote:I love the look of your cases btw.
I have a 6U case by amalgamod and it's one of my favourite components of my modular.
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:51 am

solaris wrote:@meatbeatz: congrats!
may I ask why TWO cincon bricks? is it to power a 6U case with two distros?
Why thank you good sir! One brick is for +12V and the other is for -12V. The reason I chose the Cincon TRG36A is they are good quality and low profile. Two of these cable tied together is similar in size to a typical desktop adaptor. Any pair of isolated power bricks will work though. I thought it'd be a good idea to have generic inexpensive supplies as an option, especially for playing live. If a power supply fails you can easily swap it out for a spare.

The cases themselves will come with a heavy duty 4 pin connector so we are using a tiny junction box with DC barrel connector inputs and a pair of heavy duty flying cables terminated with 4 pin output connectors. The two flying cables can be used to power two 6U cases or each side of a 12U folding case. The AGM105 has (3) 4 pin connectors built in so both power options can be interchanged.

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:21 am

akrylik wrote:I thought the bus bar was really only necessary on the ground plane because the ground plane is also used as a reference by pretty much all circuits. AFAIK, only very poorly designed circuits would ever rely on the +12V/-12V rails as a reference. Still wouldn't hurt I guess :tu:

I love the look of your cases btw.
Thanks! As this is a passive board it's important to minimize voltage drop between the external supply and each output connector which is why we're using heavy duty cable, connectors and power rails. The bars are the most expensive component so if you wanted to save a few bucks we can always supply boards with only a 0V busbar or no busbars at all. As it is, the PCB common rails are 10-18mm wide (2oz) as compared to 1-2mm (1oz) found on most busboards. The 5V common rail is beefier than the 0V rail on most boards so I would expect the board without bars to be fine for most people.

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by solaris » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:25 am

meatbeatz wrote:One brick is for +12V and the other is for -12V
ok so it is in order to have more mA per rail?

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:38 am

solaris wrote:ok so it is in order to have more mA per rail?
No it's so you have dual (+/-12V) rails. As the power bricks are isolated they can be wired as a dual output (+/-) supply. Most euro power supplies that use a single output supply use an SMPS to generate the -12V rail, which is essentially the same as having two SMPS power bricks. Only difference is that one of the SMPS is inside your case generating heat and potentially interfering with sensitive modules if it's unshielded, which is most likely the case.

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by solaris » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:41 am

ok got it :-)

oscillateur
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oscillateur » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:43 am

So you only need the external supplies and this busboard ?

What if you need more than 22 connectors (for a 6/7U with quite a few small modules for example) ?

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:00 am

oscillateur wrote:So you only need the external supplies and this busboard ?

What if you need more than 22 connectors (for a 6/7U with quite a few small modules for example) ?
Flying bus cable, my friend. Also, the 1U tiles wouldn't take up one connector each. For example, Erthenvar sells a euro to 6 tiles power adapter:

http://erthenvar.com/store/accessories/ ... tile-power

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:16 pm

oscillateur wrote:So you only need the external supplies and this busboard ?
Yes but you'll also need the junction box for the folding case or if you want to run multiple cases from a pair of external supplies. The upcoming AGM105 doesn't require the junction box as it's already inbuilt.
oscillateur wrote:What if you need more than 22 connectors (for a 6/7U with quite a few small modules for example) ?
Either use a flying cable or preferrably a mini busboard like the CGS for non critical modules/utilities. 22 outlets should be more than adequate for most 6U/7U systems though.

mr.chielos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mr.chielos » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:46 am

Can't you just daisy chain two of these suckers?

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:25 am

mr.chielos wrote:Can't you just daisy chain two of these suckers?
Yes you can. :)

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:31 am

The first batch of these were gobbled up by folding cases but I'll have more late January. I'll order extra for those wanting to buy separately.

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:44 am

I love my Amalgamod power and case. Best power and case there is for euro!

lamouette/rck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lamouette/rck » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:41 am

Any news on this ?
Setup is never done.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”