MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Klangwerk modifications
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Klangwerk modifications
DGTom
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
DGTom wrote:
I really like my Klang Voice.... which is a bastardized, modded to all hell Klangwerk, I rewired its insides so it operates as seperate balanced modulator, VCO & wave shaper.

How about giving us the details about said mods and bastardizations in a new thread?
Pretty please; with sugar on...

As requested grin

First off; all the usual disclaimers apply, mod at your own risk, warrenty goes out the window etc. etc.

I'll add to that these mods shouldn't be performed if a) you already like the KW as is b) you don't have and/or aren't familiar with the schematic.

Before starting take the time to really study & understand the innards of the Klangwerk, there's lots going, a few expensive parts & you really want to be sure that once you start you know what you are doing. That being said, one of my main aims in performing these mods was that they were 100% reversiable, everything can be un-done & it doesn't require any major chnges to the PCB.

The main caveat; you lose the ability to have an AC coupled balanced modulator, we're going to remove that switch & re-use part of the cct. to do another job, so, if you need / want AC coupling in the KW, then these mods arn't for you. This wasn't a problem for me %80 of the time I use this module as a turbo charged VCA because I love the gain on the input & the Mix knob on the output.

So, lets look at the changes to the panel;

As I said, the switch for AC / DC on the carrier is gone. In its place is the output for the internal Carrier VCO. By removing S1 we get access to the output of the internal Waveshaper @ S1-3, this gets its own output on the panel.

In order to get signal into the waveshaper 2 capacitors have to have one leg lifted, wired together & connected to a socket on the panel;

Its not pretty, but, it does the job.

This connetion is made as a track on the PCB, but we're using that for something else now.

this pic shows the back of the S1 pads. The blue wire has a 1K resistor in line with S1-1, more of that later. The purple wire is connecting the track that usually feeds those 2 caps to S1-2, fast tracking the Ext. Carrier signal into the AD633, bypassing the wave shaper which now has access on the panel.

That blue wire is the output of section A of IC1, a basic inverting amp with 0 gain, I've used this to buffer the output of the 8038 function generator that is used for the Internal Carrier VCO.

You get access to this signal at a via underneth one of the trim pots;

The via is tiny so I soldered a thin resistor leg in there & soldered the wire onto that.

Then R17 gets one leg lifted & the VCO goes into the op-amp;

Again, not real pretty.

One thing I still need to do, I'm an idiot for not doing it to begin with, is tack an attenuator onto the waveshapers CV input.

Hope this is of use to anyone else who, like me, wished they could use each part of the KW for differant jobs. I really like the waveshaper, which is similar in some ways to the old Serge waveshaper, based around the LM3900. I also find it really usefull having another simple VCO, even tho its not that the best at low frequencies, great if I need a simple FM source or a percussive noise.

& here's a cheap & nasty demo of the 3 differant sections, one at a time then all together.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/252415/Klangvoice.mp3

first 30secs is a tri from the Blacet VCO into the waveshaper, please excuse the silences / cable clicks, this was an afterthought I didn't have time to edit it down. Anyway, after 30secs is the Internal VCO, by itself, then CV'd by a Binary Zone. You can hear it shit itself when the CV goes to low; I'm a big fan of clicks & pops so this is no big deal for me, I think of it as a mid/hi VCO.

Then I switch to the Main out, external / internal carrier, using the waveshaper on either / or etc. etc. One thing that is really cool is the internal envelope follow can really freak the VCO out, its lots of fun to FM a VCO with the KW VCO, then feed the FM'd sound into the ring mod, using the waveshaper on an oscillator that is feeding the Folds CV on the CGS Wave Multiplier is good value as well grin
Cat-A-Tonic
DGTom, Thank you for posting this with pictures and instructions. we're not worthy

I'll have a look through the schematic and see what I can suss.

It sure would be cool if it was possible to add the I/O for the wave shaper
and the output of the carrier VCO without having to sacrifice the AC functionality of the balanced modulator.
DGTom
No problems.

I guess I didn't mind getting rid of the AC/DC switch, I never like the way it worked, & I still can't for the life of me figure out if there is anything that differant an AC couple carrier would do hmmm.....

I must be missing something, but when I tried a bunch of patches before doing the mods, it seemed to me the way I use it I wasn't going to lose much.

but, I think you'd could keep it if you just wanted the Waveshaper I/O, or, you added a little add-on board with an op-amp buffer for the VCO out. Seeing as how the 8038s cost about $20 a piece, I figure its worth protecting it a little ambulance
Cat-A-Tonic
Am I right in thinking that the output for the wave-shaper is connected to the S2-1/S3-2 pad?
This pad also appears to be connected directly to +15v.

I'm thinking about adding this output for the wave-shaped VCO and calling it done.
Would this require any additional buffering circuitry?

Please advise.
DGTom
Its S1-3.

S2 is a logic switch so to speak, it doesn't carry any audio, it just tells the NOR gate what to do which in turn controls the flow of signal thru the analog switch IC5.

Here;

you can see the end of a wire sticking out from the solder in the top right hand side, above the silver cap, thats the wire on the other side of the board going to the green banana on the panel.

I think its fine to go straight from the LM3900 - or rather, its output cap, plenty of other modles do. I use that section alot & havn't noticed any wierdness.

However that signal is a little on the tame side, its by no means too low or noisy, but, next to the straight output of the Blacet VCO it needs a little extra gain. I generally use Channel D on the Quad Mix or the Klangs input, or you could add a gain cct. to turn it up a little.

One of my favourite KW patches is; Twin T drums -> Waveshaper & modulation inputs. Waveshaper out into Carrier input. Fantastic for making cheesy bongo / tom sounds sound like they have broken skins SlayerBadger!
Cat-A-Tonic
I punched the panel, and wired it up tonight. w00t

It was dead easy thanks to you DGTom. we're not worthy

It works like a charm too.
Now my Klangwerk doubles as a VCO with VC wave-shape!
Both the oscillator and the wave-shaper still get modulated by the envelope follower on the signal input.
It's peanut butter jelly time! screaming goo yo It's peanut butter jelly time!
DGTom
applause

That waveshaper is cool, getting at the KW guts really made it so much more usefull for me.

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Both the oscillator and the wave-shaper still get modulated by the envelope follower on the signal input.

That is one of my favourite things SlayerBadger!
you can get some awesome feedback loops going.
Cat-A-Tonic
I don't know why i didn't try this sooner,
but sending your audio into the External Carrier Input
allows you to send it through the VC wave-shaper
and out through the (added) Carrier Output.
This disables the internal VCO of course.

This is such an easy mod, and yields so much SlayerBadger! .
cerebrosis
Just did this and Im very pleased. You can have the osc running and at the same time use the rest of the klang as a vca, wow.

Thanks guys
Cat-A-Tonic
I'm thinking there is one more space on my panel that I could put a jack in,
and it would be awesome to bring the internal Envelope Follower to an output.
cerebrosis
Yeah that would be great. thumbs up

Man this module is very powerful.
Cat-A-Tonic
Just to make sure I'm reading the schematic correctly, I'd like to ask a second opinion.

For the Envelope Follower output...

Am I right in thinking that pin 9 of IC8 (3900) is the best location to tap the full envelope output?

and that the junction of R23 (100k) and pin 14 of IC2 (324) is the best place to tap the attenuverted envelope output (from the Freq. section)?

I assume it would be wise to add a 100 ohm resistor to any additional output in order to protect ICs from accidentally connecting 2 outputs together.

(edited for typo: wrong IC #s)
DGTom
thumbs up

Maybe, remove R20 / lift it where it connects to pin #14 of IC2 & use a switching jack, so, no output plug hooked up & you have bizness as usual, but once you jack in to get the processed EF CV it removes it from the VCO control path.

Edit;

Pin #9 of IC8 (LM3900)

Pin #14 of IC2 (LM324)

junction of R23 / R20

adding a 100R - 1K to your new output.
Cat-A-Tonic
I just wanted to report that the Envelope Follower output mod is a total success!

I went ahead and used DGTom's idea of the switching jack to remove the envelope from the VCO Frequency CV mix when a plug is inserted.

I cut the trace between R23 and R20.
Junction of R23 & pin 14 of IC2 goes through a 100 ohm resistor on its way to tip of new Env.Follower jack.
R20 goes to switch of new jack.
New jack gets connected to ground.

I took the opportunity to recalibrate the Frequency range too.

Processing external signals through the Klangwerk's wavefolder sounds awesome by the way.
I ought to do a demo...
Cat-A-Tonic
Here is a demo of the Klangwerk being used as a VC wave-shaper
processing a Blacet VCO (saw) through the Carrier input,
and out the modified Carrier output.
A Micro LFO (sine) controls the wave-shape morphing.
same VCO (triangle) modulates the LFO rate.
Waveshape intensity switch changes 3, 2, 1.

Then...
Improbability Drive Quantized (minor) modulates the VCO frequency.
Waveshape intensity switch changes 3, 2, 1.
Cat-A-Tonic
...and pictures of the patch described above.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1