MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lemur and modular connectivity
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Lemur and modular connectivity
eolianmollisol
Anyone ever mess around with using the lemur interface as a controller for their modular?
kisielk
I've used it from my iPad with the CVPal. Haven't spent much time with it other than figuring out that it works though. I really need to dive in to the Lemur manual and figure out how to actually make my own interface.
eolianmollisol
very cool! would love to hear any progress on this 8_)
Voggg
I bought the Lemur app for this purpose, spent about ten minutes with it, and never opened the app again. I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I'm sure this is my fault, but the complete lack of documentation certainly wasn't helpful.
kisielk
There is a pretty good user manual online, but it's definitely very complicated and a big time investment. Just haven't had the motivation to learn it, been too busy playing with the modular otherwise.
phase ghost
I've used Lemur a decent amount to control software parameters, which it works great for. If you have the time to dedicate, it's very in depth, and capable of a lot. Plus there's a pretty large library you can download scenes (or whatever they're called) from.

Controlling expert sleepers software via Lemur should be all you need to get going for interfacing with a modular. Assuming the parameters on Silent Way are able to be controlled via external midi or OSC commands.
eolianmollisol
I was checking this out too by spektro audio: http://www.spektroaudio.com/cv-toolkit-standalone/

seems to be a good alternative for expert sleepers? For those who don't have the euro. I'm not familiar with expert sleepers at all. But this toolkit seems pretty user friendly and seemingly melds well with the lemur app too. I think its kinda cool, but a bit overwhelming oops
frankaponte
I've used my hardware and ios lemur with max patches and back into my modular with a MI CVPal or hexinverter.net MIDI2CV. It works really well.
JES
I've used Lemur seriously with software and messed around with the modular. With the modular, you'd either need some kind of CVPal setup or to run through Expert Sleepers or something else. I use Expert Sleepers and have no problems.

I'd say it took me about two days to learn how to build simple interfaces and use them to control software parameters. So the learning curve isn't that bad and there's an ok user forum.

The BEST piece of advice I got was from a more seasoned user who said I should design my own interfaces on the Lemur and not use anything prefab. He was absolutely right. The simple acts of setting up and assigning mean that you don't forget why something is set up the way it is, and for controlling Ableton live, it also meant I could leave out all the stuff that's been crowded into the standard interfaces that are sold to users, but that I don't want or need. The result is the first ever "intuitive" interface I've used for touchscreen, because I built it! Plus you can label everything and make a new interface for each project (this part is fast once you learn).

Between this and Numerology with the Push, I feel like I have lots of great hands-on control of the modular, though it's still in the experimental stage.
djthopa
Hi!

I dont know if you own any of the expert sleepers soft / hardware, but if you do check this lemur templates i made some time ago.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78025&highlight=

thumbs up
wyrtti
I loved Lemur with my Buchla. The 225e made the MIDI stuff so easy. One could say it was a poor man's 223e. smile

Now that I am back to 5U, I do not have a good Midi to CV converter and the Lemur is just a way to make mayhem with Voyager and Moog MF-104M Delay. I love it though I use it in very simple ways.

I need to get off my behind and get a good Midi to CV controller for my 5U, so i can use lots of CVs...
hamildad
bookmarking this thread. ( if you could bookmark threads on muffs)

I spent a while on Lemur but never got my head round the new sequencer items.

I agree that there are 1000s of online tutorials for Ableton & Logic etc. but very very few for Lemur.

its disheartening to get stuck and then wait for a reply on a message board to fix it.

however I've just got my CVpal set up, so maybe I should dive in again...

the only thing stopping me is that I am jumping in to Max/MSP so dont have time to work on learning both...

any tips people have here. I'd be interested.
Soundifferent
hamildad wrote:
bookmarking this thread. ( if you could bookmark threads on muffs)(...)

Bottom left corner of the page, watch this topic! thumbs up
eclectics
I started looking at it today. I bought it when it was on sale last year, never got around to it before. d'oh!

Took a bit to get what was happening and some back and forth with the pdf manual, but it's not that bad.

On the modular I had cv pal channel 6 (cc channel) sending out 1 and out 2 to 1v/oct inputs of 2 different oscilators, their out put going to the different optimix channels, and the cvPal gate 1 and gate 2 going to the respective strike inputs.

I set up a multiBall sending x/y as cc1 and 2 to the cvpal, and 2 buttons set up to work like pads, which on cc3 and 4, which on the cvpal work as on/off.

And I set up 2 range sliders to be able to control the range of cc1 and 2. That took a bit of fiddling, ended up having 2 formulas on the multiball, which referenced the Range controls.

set the midi to send on channel 6 to get the behaviour I wanted from the cvpal

Quite fun-- give the ball a flick and bang on the pads a bit.

Looks like there's a ton more functionality in the app. Might have to move the ES-3 into the rack to get more cvs, but I don't know if the usbstreamer I have will work with the iPad.
temporaryuser
hey all-this is eolianmollisol but I got locked out of my account Dead Banana

Anyway, I've been messing around with my sp-555 as a midi controller, which has been a lot of fun. The pattern sequencer is especially useful. But, Whats cool about the 555 is its got midi in so I can use tr-707 or something too at the same-time. I'm gonna try to get my hands on an old ipad or something and mess around with lemur a bit. Not too sure about the whole OSC interface or how thats going to work with the modular.

Found this cool vid:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3yx3oNvliU#t=157[/video]
temporaryuser
fakeempire
I'm just about to go down the lemur rabbit hole... I currently have an MI yarns and wondered if I could connect it like this...

iPad (Lemur) > MacBook (Ableton Live 9) > Audio interface (midi out) > Yarns module (midi in)

would that enable me to send midi info to the modular? I'd like to try sequencing some randomness, possibly with SQU4R-3, It's for a live set so I will have ableton running anyway.
corridors
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Lemur (or any other iOS midi app) on ipad ---> midi interface/out ---> Yarns cv outs to do the functionality that cvtoolkit is described as doing here: http://www.spektroaudio.com/blog/2015/2/26/cv-toolkit-standalone-versi on-13-is-now-available

looking for a scenario to avoid laptop entirely and generate extra control signals
r05c03
Lemur is not really that complicated. You can get A LOT of MIDI (and there by midi to CV) control out of it without getting to far into programing of custom parameters. There are manuals available on line. The one thing that seems to elude me is making sequencers.

Lemur is totally freaking awesome for controlling my Octatrack.
karlisss
an i conect lemur from ipad with synthrotek midi to cv module?
http://www.synthrotek.com
?
chamomileshark
I couldn't get it to work on Android and after not being able to get a reply from their support I got a refund via Google :(
microtonal
karlisss wrote:
an i conect lemur from ipad with synthrotek midi to cv module?
http://www.synthrotek.com
?

Karliss,

You need something like the iConnectMIDI2+ to go between your iPad and a MIDI to CV module. I use iConnectMIDI2+ from my iPad to my MI Yarns MIDI-CV. It works fine.
rsillsley
Hi there

I have Lemur in iOS connected to my modular via a Cirklon.

I am playing around with one of the standard templates (mono sequencer).

i have Lemur slaved to the cirklon clock and that is working well..

BUT i cannot get Lemur to slave to the MIDI transport (stop / start) being sent by the Cirklon.

Any idea how to get Lemur slaved properly to transport messages?

Thanks in advance.

Russell
rsillsley
Fixed it...

Found this in the Cirklon release notes:-

added midi clock send option for no clock while stopped, toggle with SHIFT + <mclk send> on port config page

rsillsley wrote:
Hi there

I have Lemur in iOS connected to my modular via a Cirklon.

I am playing around with one of the standard templates (mono sequencer).

i have Lemur slaved to the cirklon clock and that is working well..

BUT i cannot get Lemur to slave to the MIDI transport (stop / start) being sent by the Cirklon.

Any idea how to get Lemur slaved properly to transport messages?

Thanks in advance.

Russell
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1