MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

patching live
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author patching live
Travis Morgan
do you keep your patches you've created at home
and bring them to the show pre-wired

do you take patch notes and refer back to them live

do you memorize it all

do you just patch on the fly and see what happens

what is your process
(hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death)
ikkini
I can't close my case with everything patched so I come with notes and take 30' to patch.

I rehearse a lot at home to know perfectly what's going on because I can't refer to anything while playing.
Travis Morgan
has taking 30 mins to patch ever been an issue at any of the gigs you've played

most places really want to rush set up and tear down times to keep the show rolling
flo
Memorize everything. Then usually patch at soundcheck, but I've also had to do it pretty much on the fly... Then again I usually improvise completely.
hangovercat
I've just started performing live this year so I'm still working out a process myself. The first gig I started clean and patched beforehand. It wasn't quite half an hour (I just had a 6U rack at the time) but it did take longer than I wanted it to.

Next gig I came almost completely pre-patched, with my rig in my lap on the subway, and then was up and running in 5 minutes when I got to the gig. What I did notice though is that when I started my set fully patched I was a bit limited in how far I could take the composition (a structured improv). Patching live, and figuring out how to do it in such a way that the transitions all sound musical and intentional, is part of the composition itself.

So I would echo what flo said; my process is now to memorize the patch, go in clean, patch a "skeleton" structure that I can start with, and then build it on the fly once I start. And of course the more you do it the faster you'll get.
Travis Morgan
hangovercat wrote:
I've just started performing live this year so I'm still working out a process myself. The first gig I started clean and patched beforehand. It wasn't quite half an hour (I just had a 6U rack at the time) but it did take longer than I wanted it to.

Next gig I came almost completely pre-patched, with my rig in my lap on the subway, and then was up and running in 5 minutes when I got to the gig. What I did notice though is that when I started my set fully patched I was a bit limited in how far I could take the composition (a structured improv). Patching live, and figuring out how to do it in such a way that the transitions all sound musical and intentional, is part of the composition itself.

this pretty much sums up my experinces thus far playing out live with modular
it's been kind of nerve wracking trying to figure out how to take this kool piece i've created at home and re-create it live without making people suffer through tweaks and adjustments to get things right

i just keep telling myself
"this is what you wanted" and push through it
Sinamsis
A little off topic but did you see the thread where Simian Mobile Disco played an almost all modular set on KEXP? It was awesome. And James from SMD chimed in to talk abo it their setup.

I've been wanting to play out with my modular so these threads interest me. I think it depends on what your goal is. I think if you're playing arranged songs then some degree of prepatching will be necessary. If you're doing improv I think some degree of prepatching as a starting point is probably helpful.
Travis Morgan
to some degree the things i've been doing live with my eurorack have been a little improv

i have an idea of where i'm wanting to go and know how to get there
but there always seems to be some adjustments and tweaks needed (ie: pitch or modulation rates) that stick out like a sore thumb and break the mood ... probably not very noticeable for the casual listener but it drives me up the wall

but
in the future i plan on trying to use this thing live in a more band oriented format
with prearranged material
so i'm trying to figure out a good habit to get into now that will assist me in being able to recreate patches live and on the fly as needed

i don't see how anyone could do 3 or 4 structured or pre-arranged songs live without a ton of down time to repatch for the next song

not to mention
another person in this band we're working is using a dotcom rack
so that's more patching that has to be attended to
hangovercat
Travis Morgan wrote:

i have been chuckling about this for about an hour now.

if you're looking for rock-solid repeatability for gigging with a band the only thing i would suggest is some kind of patch storage utility – maybe the alyseum ms-matrix or something like it? that's not an inexpensive solution of course, but it does look pretty cool…
Sinamsis
Check out the set. They do 30 minutes without having to patch. I eventually plan to use Ableton/Push with expert sleepers. If have 3 or so voices prepatched. My issue is I have an enclave 6u with expert sleepers modules, sequencer, modulation sources etc. Then a second 6u with oscillators and filters and vca. So there would have to be some patching on the spot. I so have a move104 that has at least two additional voices.
krv
I can't close my case with cables patched so I memorize everything ( I take notes too...just in case) it takes me 10/15 minutes to have everything ready and I do that before soundcheck
Travis Morgan
Quote:
Check out the set. They do 30 minutes without having to patch.

do you have a link to this
Travis Morgan
krv do you have a particular method you use for patch notes

i've been thinking of printing out a few dozen copies of a jpg of my rig from modular grid and use that take notes on
Travis Morgan
hangovercat wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:

i have been chuckling about this for about an hour now.

if you're looking for rock-solid repeatability for gigging with a band the only thing i would suggest is some kind of patch storage utility – maybe the alyseum ms-matrix or something like it? that's not an inexpensive solution of course, but it does look pretty cool…

thanks hangovercat i'll check it out
moogboy
I've done more live performance with modular synths than any other instrument, and I've done a pretty wide range of performances with it, so this is gonna be long. Bare with me plz.

When I'm doing a full Juggable Offense performance, I use 2 Doepfer Monster Cases, a Happy Ending Kit for drums, and either another HEK or a Foundation 3.0. For those shows, because the modular is handling drums, synths, and guitar processing for a bunch of songs, the patch is pretty well defined and I can patch most of it before leaving the house and just throw it all in the car and be ready to go in 15-20 minutes once I'm at the venue. Because I've got so many modules, it's no big deal at all to have a bunch of sounds available simultaneously. There's usually very little real time patching. As in, if I fuck up and realize midset something very important isn't patched but needs to be, that's when I'll do patching with that rig.

In my band ThreeHives (found and joined that band because of a fellow wiggler!) I use the Foundation 3.0 and the other HEK. The patch for ThreeHives is basically set in stone at this point, and I don't do any patching during the show because most of what I do is playing the modular with bass pedals or triggering it with a sequence (also I'm playing guitar and pretending to be a rockstar so there's no time for it).

When I do free improv gigs, then I get crazy with patching. That's the same rig as the ThreeHives stuff, but I patch it on the spot, but with a helluva lot more modulation options (WMD Sequential Switch Matrix is AMAZING for this) and as I'm playing I'll just fuck around with a sound until I get tired of it or think I want something else, and then I'll make the something else happen. Also there was that time when I spent a decent amount of the set licking a stackable for the sound...
Sinamsis
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124699&highlight=
Bendu
I've only played live a few times. It's been rough for me; I can definitely relate to the 'this is what you wanted/push through' scenario. I am going to keep trying though as the small audiences that I've played for seemed to enjoy my sets even if I didn't. oops

My method for thus far has been to build a patch, rehearse with it and use notes to recreate the patch at the show. I have found that if I note each cable as I tear down the patch that my notes are easier to follow. I also practice building the patch from scratch as part of getting ready for the show so that any problem with the notes will be discovered.

I also recommend recording rehearsals.
DonaldCrunk
i usually play about 30 - 40 minutes, mostly ambient non-beat oriented stuff but with structure/melody. i have 3 or 4 compositions or so, a couple of preset devices have helped a lot for me - the foundation of my sequences is stored in an iPad sequencer, and the WMD Seq Switch Matrix helps moving modulation around the case.

i usually come patched, i usually play with others and i don't get 30 minutes to get things patched sometimes. i use a looper to grab sounds from the performance so i can have a bed to patch against while setting up the next 'song'.

I've done the free patching thing once with mixed results, i prefer the repeatability of my usual system.
abelovesfun
I play with a 5U setup, and patch when I arrive / as I go. I have thought about moving my rack rails back a few inches to allow for some pre-show patching, just to save time. I also use Ableton controlled by push (the lappy is on the side - I never have to see it) for mixing and fx/muting automation, which helps quite a bit.
spritepixie
I've experimented with both pre-patching and live patching. For me, it really depends on the venue and if people can actually see me patching. If I'm working with visuals, then I'll likely show up with something pre-patched.
In general, I'd prefer if people just focused on the music and I'd just go behind a curtain or something. Most of the time at venues I'm always looking at the backend of someone's Doepfer case.
ikkini
Travis Morgan wrote:
has taking 30 mins to patch ever been an issue at any of the gigs you've played

most places really want to rush set up and tear down times to keep the show rolling

Well this has never been an issue since it is in the technical notes I send. It has never happened but if it's not possible, I won't go.
I have to specify that I play only with my eurorack system a music that needs to be 100% patched before starting.
Noiseconformist
Travis Morgan wrote:
krv do you have a particular method you use for patch notes
i've been thinking of printing out a few dozen copies of a jpg of my rig from modular grid and use that take notes on

images absolutely don't work for me. Also because I keep reconfiguring my modular.
If I'm documenting a patch I use something written in big letters on pieces of paper.
VCO1[saw] -> MULTILADDER[in1/8]
VCO2[sine] -> VCO1[linfm/3.1]
ENV1[out] -> MULTILADDER[mod2/4.6]
etc.
This way I just have to stubbornly follow the lines to make sure I don't miss something.
But I only use that at home to recreate a patch a liked that much that I wrote it down.
I designed the flightcase so that I can ship it patched - no way of doing that before a gig.
In 100% of all gigs there was no time to patch it up.
The setup alone takes 30-40 minutes, without patching, depending on the gig/venue/setting etc.

A year ago I acquired some expert sleepers modules for a particular project, put them in a separate box.
I'll experiment with them further when time allows.
Did a lot of digital stuff lately, got a bit spoiled by the possibilities of instant recall. d'oh!
eole
In an improvisation context, I like to live patch, but I find it harder when I play alone.
(and Improvisation is already harder alone... )
But when playing with others musician it's great!

I've tried to prepatch at home.
It's nice to play something more elaborate, or maybe a composition.

Most recently, I used the same documentation technic as Noiseconformist.
Way clearer than pictures indeed!

smile
Noiseconformist
eole wrote:
In an improvisation context, I like to live patch, but I find it harder when I play alone.
(and Improvisation is already harder alone... )
But when playing with others musician it's great!

how many voices do you (and you people) get out of your modular system when playing live?
eole
It really depends of the context, again...
From one to four.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2