MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SuperMat for nw2s::b and Monome grid
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s  
Author SuperMat for nw2s::b and Monome grid
numan7
woah it's a bird... it's a plane.... it's...

...SuperMat!

(more details to follow)....

cheers
scottwilson
Nice. I'm not familiar with the VCA matrix or its capabilities, so looking forward to hearing more about what kinda stuff will come out!

s
numan7
thumbs up hi scottwilson! thanks for designing and creating this magnificent beast, which is turning out to be one of my favorite modules of all, btw! cookie?!?

as for the 4ms VCAM...

it is a 4 x 4 matrix mixer with some rather advanced features. as you can see from the front panel, there is an illuminated push-button matrix, a mini-potentiometer matrix and an array of cv input jacks - one of each for each channel coupling in the mixer circuit (which i believe uses THAT chips and is dc-coupled).

turning the pots all the fully open, and pressing all the buttons so that they are inset and patching gate signals into the cv-inputs makes it behave similarly to the grid (quite hypnotic to watch when you have two VCAMs side by side, so that your eyes can stare at them in parallel woah).

they can be daisy-chained horizontally and vertically, for which there are output and input expansion headers on back. in addition there are headers marked "output-enable" (which you remove the jumpers on if you are daisy chaining vertically, to 8 ins x 4 outs and this is the one underneath, for example - in the picture above, i believe i forgot to put the jumpers back on this header on the one on the right, whose leds in low-state appear more dim). "bus" and "normals".

the latter two 16-pin headers ship with a short ribbon cable connecting them together. i will try experimenting with them, so that i can cut my patch-cable count down by 16 in the above picture (by using tta stack-cables, i can load any sketch to the ::b that i wish, and still have the VCAMs just there, being controlled by and mixing the outputs of the ::b, to use however i like regardless of whether the SuperMat sketch is running).

i wonder if it would be possible (and feasible) to add another 16 channels of analog outputs from ::b's back-plane and connect those with a ribbon cable to a VCAM bus header.... or maybe 32 channels of outputs (for 2 VCAM buses)?

hmmm..... more to come (i am planning to sit down and set up Arduino IDE and start coding sometime this week)...

cheers
numan7
i wrote:
i wonder if it would be possible (and feasible) to add another 16 channels of analog outputs from ::b's back-plane and connect those with a ribbon cable to a VCAM bus header.... or maybe 32 channels of outputs (for 2 VCAM buses)?

oops what i was actually wondering about there was more *digital* i/o (based on how i have things patched at this point, as above, anyways - although some extra low-res analog channels for controlling the VCAM from its backplane bus would be super-awesome if they were available)... i think i'll take a look at the chip specs and your design notes, as i am setting up my development environment, and ascertain if there are 16 or 32 bits somewhere i could tap out into the VCAM bus... Driving

cheers
scottwilson
http://nw2s.net/extensibility/

There are a few expansion ports available - you can see them un-soldered along the Due... you can use them as raw GPIO, as a couple of UARTS, or as an I2C bus.

If you want analog IO, you could probably find some decent low-bit I2C DACs - That would definitely be the easiest way to interface some new chips.

-s
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s  
Page 1 of 1