SuperMat for nw2s::b and Monome grid

Discussion, support, and resources for our noise making modules and kits.

Moderators: Kent, scottwilson

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

SuperMat for nw2s::b and Monome grid

Post by numan7 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:35 pm

:woah: it's a bird... it's a plane.... it's...

...SuperMat!

(more details to follow)....

cheers

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:35 pm

Nice. I'm not familiar with the VCA matrix or its capabilities, so looking forward to hearing more about what kinda stuff will come out!

s

numan7

Post by numan7 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:35 pm

:tu: hi scottwilson! thanks for designing and creating this magnificent beast, which is turning out to be one of my favorite modules of all, btw! :cookiemonster:

as for the 4ms VCAM...

it is a 4 x 4 matrix mixer with some rather advanced features. as you can see from the front panel, there is an illuminated push-button matrix, a mini-potentiometer matrix and an array of cv input jacks - one of each for each channel coupling in the mixer circuit (which i believe uses THAT chips and is dc-coupled).

turning the pots all the fully open, and pressing all the buttons so that they are inset and patching gate signals into the cv-inputs makes it behave similarly to the grid (quite hypnotic to watch when you have two VCAMs side by side, so that your eyes can stare at them in parallel :woah:).

they can be daisy-chained horizontally and vertically, for which there are output and input expansion headers on back. in addition there are headers marked "output-enable" (which you remove the jumpers on if you are daisy chaining vertically, to 8 ins x 4 outs and this is the one underneath, for example - in the picture above, i believe i forgot to put the jumpers back on this header on the one on the right, whose leds in low-state appear more dim). "bus" and "normals".

the latter two 16-pin headers ship with a short ribbon cable connecting them together. i will try experimenting with them, so that i can cut my patch-cable count down by 16 in the above picture (by using tta stack-cables, i can load any sketch to the ::b that i wish, and still have the VCAMs just there, being controlled by and mixing the outputs of the ::b, to use however i like regardless of whether the SuperMat sketch is running).

i wonder if it would be possible (and feasible) to add another 16 channels of analog outputs from ::b's back-plane and connect those with a ribbon cable to a VCAM bus header.... or maybe 32 channels of outputs (for 2 VCAM buses)?

:hmm: more to come (i am planning to sit down and set up Arduino IDE and start coding sometime this week)...

cheers

numan7

Post by numan7 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:25 pm

i wrote:i wonder if it would be possible (and feasible) to add another 16 channels of analog outputs from ::b's back-plane and connect those with a ribbon cable to a VCAM bus header.... or maybe 32 channels of outputs (for 2 VCAM buses)?
:oops: what i was actually wondering about there was more *digital* i/o (based on how i have things patched at this point, as above, anyways - although some extra low-res analog channels for controlling the VCAM from its backplane bus would be super-awesome if they were available)... i think i'll take a look at the chip specs and your design notes, as i am setting up my development environment, and ascertain if there are 16 or 32 bits somewhere i could tap out into the VCAM bus... :driving:

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:31 pm

http://nw2s.net/extensibility/

There are a few expansion ports available - you can see them un-soldered along the Due... you can use them as raw GPIO, as a couple of UARTS, or as an I2C bus.

If you want analog IO, you could probably find some decent low-bit I2C DACs - That would definitely be the easiest way to interface some new chips.

-s

Return to “nw2s”