MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Encore Electronics Universal Event Generator ~looping demo~
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Encore Electronics Universal Event Generator ~looping demo~
alternating.bit
I almost let this unit go, and boy am I glad I kept it.

Vakancy of Disko
Ughhhh I think I need to buy another one of these...and a SympleSEQ....too much want
JohnLRice
Very nice demo! Makes me miss my UEG even more! cry you kids get off my lawn hihi
gregae
Great demo! thumbs up

And I see that the UEG now is now available in dotcom format. applause
alternating.bit
I'm glad I can ignite some interest in this module. Between my recent reviving of my Doepfer MAQ 16/3 and now the UEG, I think I've learned my lesson as to what to do before considering selling something. Make sure you play with it some again first, or more importantly, aim to fully understand its potential!
sduck
Damn, I missed a good deal on this one too. Curse you and your new found knowledge! (JK)

Nice demo! I've been on the fence about this module for more than a decade - I think it might be time to finally get one.
Ockeghem
I seem to have at least two on hand, with the idea of having cheaper sequencing than Q960, Moon, Klee, Time Suite and the like. smile
Not that I am posting B/S/T here to tempt and tease oops
Bowman
Thanks for that video. I'm not very adept at using mine at all. This will help in that direction. Is yours the MOTM version?
alternating.bit
Bowman wrote:
Thanks for that video. I'm not very adept at using mine at all. This will help in that direction. Is yours the MOTM version?

Yes, I have the MOTM version.
Interesting, I just looked at the Dotcom version for the first time. I think the output labels are much clearer with words like "contour output" (versus just "output") and "stage trigger output" (vs "trig out") and "control input" (vs "TCV?"). But I love the feel & build of MOTM so much more, plus mine has the Vulcan mind diagram on it that I have no clue as to what it means but looks techy.

JohnLRice
alternating.bit wrote:
Interesting, I just looked at the Dotcom version for the first time. I think the output labels are much clearer
yeah, the MOTM version came first then many years later STG was employed to design the panel for the MU version.
Dave Peck
Not to toot my own horn, but I was the guy who thought up this module so I may be able to shed some light. At the time, I was working with Tony Karavidas at a pro audio company called Pacific Microsonics, and he and I had been discussing how (at the time) there weren't any modules designed to provide really complex CV sources like multi-stage EGs or multi-stage LFOs. And the UEG is what I came up with. I didn't have the coding background to actually design the circuitry, so I designed the feature set and the user interface, explained it all to Tony, and Tony did the real work of the electronic design to make it all happen.

Essentially, the idea began as a sort of function generator, in the form of an eight-stage envelope, with TIME and LEVEL controls for each segment. (At the time, these types of control sources could be found buried in the menus of some digital synths from companies like Roland and E-MU.) Since an envelope always falls back to zero at the end, the final stage only needs a TIME control. That little Vulcan mind diagram on the MOTM panel is an illustration of this eight-stage envelope.

With all of these segments, you get a lot of flexibility regarding how you want it to deal with the 'sustain' portion of the envelope - hence the START LOOP and END LOOP switches. So you can have an envelope with a simple sustain (created by looping between only two points, steps 4 & 5) and more complex multi-segment attack and release portions, or an envelope with more simple attack and release portions but with a complex multi-segment looping CV pattern when the envelope is in the sustain period (for as long as the keyboard gate is held).

And it was a simple matter to turn the looping sustain portion into an LFO mode, so it just continuously loops between the start & end loop segments.

The LEDs indicate which step the UEG is currently on, like sequencer step indicator LEDs, and the brightness of an LED indicates the current level. An LED that is getting brighter or dimmer is telling you if the UEG's output signal is currently ramping up or down (the LEDs don't dim all the way down to 'off' when the signal is off because then you wouldn't be able to see what step is currently active).

Then some brainstorming to see what else we could get this thing to do without too much more work....

The top switch determines if it is in LFO mode (looping between the start & end loop points continuously, ignoring any signals at the GATE input), or ONE SHOT mode (an eight-stage envelope triggered by any signal at the GATE input, and the envelope runs all the way through with no looping, regardless of the length of the GATE input) or GATED mode, which actually has three sub-selections determined by the second switch.

When the first switch is in GATED mode, two of the switch settings of the second switch determine how the UEG acts if you release the GATE signal while the UEG is somewhere in the middle of its looping sustain portion. FINISH LOOP will cause the UEG to continue through its remaining loop portion before proceeding to the release portion. RELEASE causes it to jump directly to the last stage when you release the key, even if there are several loop segments and the EG is currently somewhere near the start of the loop. These options are handy for controlling long, complex envelopes with long complex looping sustains. Sometimes you may want the envelope to continue through all of the slow ups & downs in the sustain loop when you release a note, but other times you may want the envelope to just move ahead to the release portion when you release the note.

The third position of this switch is what turns the UEG into a simple step sequencer instead of a LFO or envelope. It just uses the LEVEL controls the same as other sequencers, and a GATE input signal advances from one to the next. The 8th TIME control is used to provide a LEVEL control for the 8th sequencer step.

The SLOPE control determines if the shape of the CV curves are linear ramps (as shown in the little diagram on the MOTM panel version), or logarithmic curves like an analog ADSR, or if it changes from one segment to another in a sudden transition. Note that this last option is different from the step sequencer mode - it is still an eight-stage looping envelope (or multi-stage stepped LFO), and the transitions between steps are determined by the eight TIME knobs, not an incoming GATE signal. So you can make a multi-segment stepped pattern that has different lengths for each segment.

The TCV input (TIME CONTROL VOLTAGE) provides CV of all rates, and the TRIG OUT sends a trigger when the UEG reaches the end of the final segment, so you can trigger something else when the UEG is done.

If you want to make some really interesting randomized CV signals, try combining a UEG with a LFO that has rate CV input, and make each module modulate the rate of the other, then mix them together or send them through a ring mod.....

The six segment looping mode can provide a realistic vibrato that has less than perfect tempo, with each segment not quite the same duration...

Controlling a LPF with an envelope that has a complex attack with several quick up & down fluctuations can work well to create complex brass sounds...

Here's a handy tip - when in LOOP ONLY mode, the UEG would normally be able to provide a looping LFO signal with up to six steps (step #2 though #7). But you can actually create an EIGHT stage looping LFO by putting it in ONE SHOT mode and connecting the TRIG OUT to the GATE IN and pressing the manual TRIG button to start it running. Now the UEG will proceed through all eight stages and re-trigger itself again at the end repeatedly.

Enjoy!
JohnLRice
Damn you, Dave! you kids get off my lawn Now I want my UEG back! cry Great job on thinking up the UEG in the first place and thanks for this great description! applause we're not worthy thumbs up
Bowman
alternating.bit wrote:

Yes, I have the MOTM version..........But I love the feel & build of MOTM so much more, plus mine has the Vulcan mind diagram on it that I have no clue as to what it means but looks techy.

Lol!

I like my Dotcom version, but I am a little jealous of the Vulcan mind diagram on yours. In fact, I think more modules need cryptic Vulcan symbols on them......it's an aesthetic consideration! I don't know what it means either.

Fascinating!
Bowman
Thanks for the explanations, Dave. Especially your handy tip. I'm copying that for my manual. applause
alternating.bit
Dave Peck wrote:
That little Vulcan mind diagram on the MOTM panel is an illustration of this eight-stage envelope.

LOL - I have to say I'm tickled to hear the actual creator of the module approve of my Vulcan analogy! applause

Dave Peck wrote:
Here's a handy tip - when in LOOP ONLY mode, the UEG would normally be able to provide a looping LFO signal with up to six steps (step #2 though #7). But you can actually create an EIGHT stage looping LFO by putting it in ONE SHOT mode and connecting the TRIG OUT to the GATE IN and pressing the manual TRIG button to start it running. Now the UEG will proceed through all eight stages and re-trigger itself again at the end repeatedly.

What a valuable tip!! woah Thanks!
Henfield
JohnLRice wrote:
Damn you, Dave! you kids get off my lawn Now I want my UEG back! cry Great job on thinking up the UEG in the first place and thanks for this great description! applause we're not worthy thumbs up

JLR, I am having the same thoughts! I only used it as a simple 8 stage sequencer, and I never realized all of what it could do!

Dave, thank you for all of the information!
Dave Peck
I have two of them and they usually end up being used to provide very slow complex looping ramp CVs for controlling filters & phasers etc. for ambient drone-ish sounds. Some trivia - the UEG was the main control source for the bizarre 'babbling animal' sounds on Robert Rich's "Bestiary".
co87lab
Was supposed to be the theft of this unit...but you're welcome!
nidas
Thanks for the video - explained alot!
josaka
Stranger things guys bigging up the Event Gen..

Dave Peck
Hey, neat! This is fun!
anomie
josaka wrote:

Thanks so much for sharing this - as a big UEG user and fan, it's great to see it used so creatively. And that synth collection is siiiiiiick we're not worthy
Precarious
Damn! This looks like a really fun module!

Anyone know if they're still in production or available anywhere???

I see they're available on the Encore site, just not in DOTCOM format. Bummer.

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_product.html
Dob
josaka wrote:

OMG!! That implicitly declares my UEG holy!! SlayerBadger!

Nice story about the red sticker to prevent changing it
JRamella
So... is the UEG still available in 5U? On his website it still shows... has anyone been in contact with Tony lately?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2