MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ensoniq EPS sampler repair
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Ensoniq EPS sampler repair
rjp2
I trying to fix my EPS.
It hangs notes and freezes.

I had once seen a website where someone had taken pictures and made a step by step guide on the repair, from what i remember it was mostly re-soldering joints.

does anyone have a link or info on this repair?

Cheers
Rob
spacejazz
Do a google search for Ensoniq EPS Service bulletins. It is generally the same procedure for other ensoniq synths too.
fuzzbass
rjp2 wrote:
I trying to fix my EPS.
It hangs notes and freezes.

I had once seen a website where someone had taken pictures and made a step by step guide on the repair, from what i remember it was mostly re-soldering joints.

does anyone have a link or info on this repair?

Cheers
Rob

A common, problem with some Ensoniq synths of that age are the jumpered connections between the two keyboard PCBs. Its a mechanical connection on .1 pitch headers. These get oxidized over time and become intermittent. You may get by with replacing the jumper, or you might just replace the jumper and headers with hard wire. Also I think EPS had the option of a RAM upgrade. You might try removing that to see if is causing problems. I hope not because if that is bad, you might have a devil of a time repairing or replacing it.
ersatzplanet
I have 3 Mirages (one keyboard and two racks) and Originally got one of the racks that was sold "broken" doing all kinds of weird stuff. I fixed it by doing one simple thing that didn't involve soldering anything. I just disconnected every connector and replug them in again, and pulled all the IC's and re-seated them (some were not fully pulled but just partially pulled one end and then the other). These older machines often did not use super quality sockets and often got corrosion over the years from changes in humidity. Pulling the chips and reseating them can wipe the connectors enough to fix bad connections. Same for ribbon connectors. Something you can do for free and if care is taken to remember polarities etc, very little damage can be made doing it.
Dave Kendall
^ What the two posts above said.

Back in the day, I brought my EPS back to life a few times by re-seating ribbon connectors, and doing the same for socketed ICs.

On one occasion, one of the connectors had corroded slightly, and was a faint green colour. Got cleaned with isopropyl and some wire wool, and worked again.

Doesn't always work, but is definitely worth a try.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1