MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

thermal compound?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author thermal compound?
Kwote
i was just looking over the SNVoice manual and realized i forgot to add a thermal compound to my parts list. as per the manual,

"After soldering Q1/Q2 package, solder R7 TEMPCO resistor in place such that it comes in contact with the package. Use thermal compound to create a fillet between R7 and Q1/Q2 to aid in matching the temperature of both devices."

any suggestions? i've never worked with thermal compound before.

also what do they mean by "fillet"?
Kent
Finally, I'm of use on this forum!

Normally, Thermal Compound & Thermal Paste should be used very sparingly. Just use as thin an amount as possible. But, in the instructions that you quoted, Kwote ; wink they are wanting you to basically 'tie' the two components together with the compound so that they will share the heat that they give off and therefore be closer to the same temperature.

Never heard the term 'fillet' before.
Kwote
so i should just put a thin layer between the components then?

anyone got a link from mouser for this stuff?
consumed
i fry up the occasional thermal compound fillet for dinner every once in awhile.

you can get thermal compound at fly's electronics, maybe even rat shack. its the goo you squirt onto your CPU before you put the fan on it, so you can get better heat transfer between the parts (the fan is a heat sink).
Kwote
lol! fly's electronics.

werd. thanks. i'll be headed there for some shortly.
Muff Wiggler
kwote, take a look on your VCO, there's a tempco seated with thermal compound (any temperature-compensated VCO would have this).... by fillet I think they just mean to fill the space between the tempco and the package with the compound.

Typically the tempco's sit as close as possible, stradelling and touching the package they are on top of. You just make a firmer connection with the thermal compound.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
kwote, take a look on your VCO, there's a tempco seated with thermal compound (any temperature-compensated VCO would have this).... by fillet I think they just mean to fill the space between the tempco and the package with the compound.

Typically the tempco's sit as close as possible, stradelling and touching the package they are on top of. You just make a firmer connection with the thermal compound.

will do.
Muff Wiggler
brazenly stolen and cropped out of someone else's pic...

here's the tempco on the SNVoice board for your reference Kwote

Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
brazenly stolen and cropped out of someone else's pic...

here's the tempco on the SNVoice board for your reference Kwote

that's in the documentation. did i give you the pdf yet?

been looking at that picture a lot which is basically what got me to figure all this out.

i love how the compound makes everything look like a melted turd. it's very AWESOMMME w00t
Muff Wiggler
nope, haven't seen the pdf yet....
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
nope, haven't seen the pdf yet....

okay. i'll send it right over. have a look see and give me any comments or impressions you get.
Roycie Roller
Kwote, did you get your SN chips? Whereabouts from? Just wondering if Arcade Chips came through..
Roycie Roller
Kwote wrote:

i love how the compound makes everything look like a melted turd.
There's a Metasonix module name in there! smile
Kwote
Roycie Roller wrote:
Kwote, did you get your SN chips? Whereabouts from? Just wondering if Arcade Chips came through..

no. arcade chips is a bust. don't fuck with them. they've been completely discredited on electro-music.com's forum which verifies my suspicion their paypal will never let me through.

however the dood on ebay is good to go. muff ordered three chips last week and they'll be arriving to me shortly. i've got him on my watchlist so i can get some extras. he has 20 fresh ones up right now. you know the link bro. i wouldn't have found him without your post.
consumed
shit. i hope that wasnt my fault (about arcade chips). after waiting a few weeks i got my two SN chips from him no problem. ill have to go look for arcade over there.
Roycie Roller
Thank Gawd Arcade Chips didn't leave their account open & then 'mysteriously' close shop.
Just had a look at the ebay site. Nice little earner for someone who has a stockpile, or knows where one is. Reminds me of those 'valve hunters' metasonix was talking about..
Kwote
consumed wrote:
shit. i hope that wasnt my fault (about arcade chips). after waiting a few weeks i got my two SN chips from him no problem. ill have to go look for arcade over there.

how would it be your fault? you wreck shop literally?
consumed
Kwote wrote:
consumed wrote:

i posted an almost negative review of them back in december when i didnt hear from them for three weeks after i placed my order and paid. i got my chips within a few days after that with no problems.
Kwote
consumed wrote:
Kwote wrote:
consumed wrote:

i posted an almost negative review of them back in december when i didnt hear from them for three weeks after i placed my order and paid. i got my chips within a few days after that with no problems.

you bought your chips from Aradechips off ebay? i was going directly to their website and getting denied by paypal.

the ebay auction i'm referring to is some independent dude in Hong Kong.
Roycie Roller
Kwote wrote:

i posted an almost negative review of them back in december when i didnt hear from them for three weeks after i placed my order and paid. i got my chips within a few days after that with no problems.[/quote]

you bought your chips from Aradechips off ebay? i was going directly to their website and getting denied by paypal.

the ebay auction i'm referring to is some independent dude in Hong Kong.[/quote] I think he's referring to an electro-music thread. But i wouldn't worry consumed, i don't think people pay that much attention- a LOT of people were wondering about it over there- a business won't (usually) go under just on a negative bit of feedback.
But to be sure, you DID use an alias, yeah?
(just kidding)
haricots
This tempco business threw me off a bit too. I'm building the MFOS VCO. I found some goo at my local electronics shop so it's not hard to find.
How can I get my hands on some of these chips for the SN Voice module?
Kwote
haricots wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170241201435&_trksi d=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

just make sure you leave some for everybody else smile
zerosum
Arctic Silver thermal grease

Quote:
lol! fly's electronics.

I call it Fried electronics lol
haricots
Kwote wrote:
haricots wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170241201435&_trksi d=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

I've always been wary of buying from Hong Kong / China. Is this person reputable?
Kwote
haricots wrote:
Kwote wrote:
haricots wrote:

I've always been wary of buying from Hong Kong / China. Is this person reputable?

i sure fuckin hope so cuz that's what i'll be using. i'll let you know how the first module goes.

the sad thing is there just aren't much options for getting the SN chip anymore. we're all kinda on the late boat.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2