MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What noise is to you...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author What noise is to you...
D/A A/D
Ok, so this is where all the "what is noise" talk should go... I will direct all conversations in other treads to here to;

A) Avoid flame wars
B) Not derail our friends and comrades posts

Sound gravy?.. Good, I thought so as well...

applause
futuresoundsystems
Unstructured, loud drones with an impending sense of doom. Mr. Green
Roycie Roller
Just following on from the other thread, that's why i don't really like Merzbow, etc- sure it's loud as fuck but so what. There's no guts, no colour. Just black & bleak. When i think of 'noise' i think of soundscapes, and good soundscapes have all kinds of nuances & change, and they can be damn pretty & beautiful & emotive too.
I recently bought an album with Merzbow playing the Synthi & to be honest, he made it sound like a heavy metal pedal the WHOLE album.
D/A A/D
Ok so here are some "recognized" sub genres:
harsh noise (PCRV, Stimbox, Xome)
Japanoise (Incapacitants, The Gerogerigegege, Merzbow)
walls (The Rita, Seagull, LHD)
rhythmic noise (Wolf Eyes, Sixes, Sword Heaven)
drone (Damion Romero, Birchville Cat Motel, Slow Listener)
synth noise (Pulse Emitter, Demons, Headboggle)
cut up noise (Sickness, T.E.F., Guilty Connector)
lo-fi noise (Fossils, Sick Lama, Loveletters)
power electronics (Prurient, Whitehouse, Bastard Noise)
death industrial (Atrax Morgue, Maurizio Bianchi, Brighter Death Now)
laptop noise (Mike Shiflet, John Wise)
scrap noise (The Haters, IDX1274)
doom (Burial Hex, Burial Hex, Burial Hex)

associated genres:
old school industrial (Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten, SPK)
power violence (Man Is The Bastard, the endless blockade)
noisegrind (Anal Cunt, Genital Masticator, Gore Beyond Necropsy)
noise rock (Sonic Youth, Unsane, Lightning Bolt)

(shouldn't be) associated genres (in my opinion):
power noise, noize or distorted beat music (Synapscape, Iszoloscope, anything on ant-zen)
EBM (Wumpscut, FLA, Nitzer Ebb)
Digital Hardcore (Atari Teenage Riot)

Now all that said... This is my opinion, and as for EBM I love me some early Front 242, DAF... No hate there...

Let the brawl begin...

Alex
Kwote
anything that can't be classified as melodic. and noise modules hotdamn.
D/A A/D
Kwote wrote:

Ahh.. But you see... Many Pulse Emitter, Burial Hex and even Bastard Noise tracks contain melody... That is one of the slippery slopes.
Kwote
D/A A/D wrote:
Kwote wrote:

Ahh.. But you see... Many Pulse Emitter, Burial Hex and even Bastard Noise tracks contain melody... That is one of the slippery slopes.

then to me noise becomes an element to that particular track and not genre based.

i'm all for hybrid shit anyways so fuck it. i'll slide all the way down the slope and crash land. i don't give a shit.
Chuck E. Jesus
another person on another site mentioned "bro-noise" which i took to be aimed at Wolf Eyes and the like...i assumed it was derogatory, and yet hilarious...i've seen them a few times and enjoyed them...

i guess i'm more from the "old school", i used to listen to stuff like P16D4, Nurse With Wound, TG, Neubauten, etc...not into the whole Whitehouse thing...always thought of DAF as Neu Deustch Welle...

some non-synth stuff is pretty intense: Borbetamagus , Flying Luttenbachers, etc...(sorry for spelling)

the only "sub genres" i've heard of is Power Electronics, and "old School Industrial, which i know simply as industrial...pretty much got off the boat as soon as the whole Wax Trax era began tbh...
D/A A/D
wolf eyes and crew are also referred to as hipster noise, false noise, and scenester noise. Or "That Michigan Crap"...

I personally adore wolf eyes, and I am way to fat to be a hipster...
Chuck E. Jesus
D/A A/D wrote:
I am way to fat to be a hipster...

i can relate brother...i used to be a "hipster" but the clothes just don't fit anymore...
D/A A/D
ross g wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
I am way to fat to be a hipster...

i can relate brother...i used to be a "hipster" but the clothes just don't fit anymore...

Hmmm let me see... What would I prefer to eat:

a) baby food
b) a nice rare ribeye

Skinny jeans just aint worth it...
eyehue
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Coffee Addiction FTW
Cybananna
D/A/A/D, in reality, I think your breakdown of subgenres is about right, but i've always felt there's really no need to be so detailed. Too many subs. i've always seen it as face-melting noise and not face-melting noise. anymore than that and it just gets confusing.

i've always avoided the noise scene though since I was too old to care about hipness (which my area seemed to think they had too much of) when noise became a well known genre. so maybe all the subs have meaning if you're a part of that? there's so much similarity.

I agree about noise rock and drum and noise (ant zen / hands) etc. not being "true" noise. However, early ant zen had a lot of noise albums that did not fit the beat oriented noise they are known for today..

good topic! but like politics, we could probably go on forever!

Guinness ftw!
D/A A/D
Cybananna wrote:
D/A/A/D, in reality, I think your breakdown of subgenres is about right, but i've always felt there's really no need to be so detailed. Too many subs. i've always seen it as face-melting noise and not face-melting noise. anymore than that and it just gets confusing.

i've always avoided the noise scene though since I was too old to care about hipness (which my area seemed to think they had too much of) when noise became a well known genre. so maybe all the subs have meaning if you're a part of that? there's so much similarity.

I agree about noise rock and drum and noise (ant zen / hands) etc. not being "true" noise. However, early ant zen had a lot of noise albums that did not fit the beat oriented noise they are known for today..

good topic! but like politics, we could probably go on forever!

Guinness ftw!

re:

D/A A/D wrote:
To be fair... I come from a LONG history of fighting about "what is noise"... I need to remember that you kids, may not be aware of the ancient battle. Many a flame war was started on the embers of that question, many a soldier lost to its cause.

To outsiders I can see why all the sub-genres seem silly and to micro organized. But for most parts it keeps the fighting to a minimum, although there is many a noise head who feels categorizations of noise is what is killing noise.

But what the fuck do I know???
Cybananna
SlayerBadger! I see where you're coming from. I hope you know that wasn't intended to challange or anything. just my thoughts. Also, after I posted it, I thought "oh crap" about the hipster comment. Some of the people who might be considered hip in my area are really cool and have always been great when we've played together. So it wasn't intended to apply to everyone. In fact, most of the artists are really cool, it's the many of the fans that were the problem for me.

For me, the problem with noise is that there are so many people out there who make noise who don't harness the noise. making some random racket, to me doesn't really qualify one as being a noise artist. controling the noise does. Intentional noise does. We'll, I'm not so sure about Cock ESP although they are one of my favorites!

But my opinion certainly isn't law lol who the heck am I?
D/A A/D
Cock ESP, Rubber "O" Cement and Panicsville are all in a league of their own...

As for the "fans" comment, as the lyric goes:

"It's not the band I hate, its their fans"

Alex
Kwote
Cybananna wrote:
who the heck am I?

some might say GOD.
Roycie Roller
Kwote wrote:
Cybananna wrote:
who the heck am I?

some might say GOD.

Uh uh buddy- IM God.
You hearin me?

smile
Chuck E. Jesus
Roycie Roller wrote:
IM God.
You hearin me?

smile

only in my nightly prayers...
Cybananna
Kwote wrote:
Cybananna wrote:
who the heck am I?

some might say GOD.

Well, some say my family name traces back to Odin, for what ever that's worth. lol
Roycie Roller
ross g wrote:
Roycie Roller wrote:
IM God.
You hearin me?

smile

only in my nightly prayers...

WHATTT??? Only in your nightly prayers ?? My Moleculal-Plasmodial-Internet-Infiltrator-Galactical-Human-Ruler device must be playing up again!!! Damn Service Providers- you can never seem to find one that works up here in Heaven!
Grrrr...
Bricks
so many lulz @ 'bro-noise'
spbaker
Roycie Roller wrote:

My Moleculal-Plasmodial-Internet-Infiltrator-Galactical-Human-Ruler device must be playing up again!!!

is that the scsi or firewire version? remember you need a terminator on the end if its scsi
Cybananna
lol Panicsville lol are pretty cool. I completely missed Rubber "O" Cement. Good visuals are fun.
humanfaculties
My humble, little equation....

Noise is music, and music is listening.

Arbitrary and circular to the max, but how can anyone expect a lesser absurdity when it comes to defining one's absurd aesthetics?

seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6