MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What noise is to you...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author What noise is to you...
D/A A/D
humanfaculties wrote:
My humble, little equation....

Noise is music, and music is listening.

Arbitrary and circular to the max, but how can anyone expect a lesser absurdity when it comes to defining one's absurd aesthetics?

seriously, i just don't get it

EXCELLENT RESPONSE! I could almost be satisfied locking this thread. wink

Seriously though, that is an excellent observation, I tip my hat to you sir!
humanfaculties
ha, ha...thanks man!

Hopefully the discussion won't end any time soon (nor this thread dammit)......doesn't mean it's not fun to cough up some lofty twaddle on the subject now and again.
wetterberg
D/A A/D et al, do you know where one might find the online equivalent of a CD box set with essential noise tracks, spanning the sub-genres?

One of the performances that really reignited my faith in dsp audio (you know, after the email checking years) was this one, by pleasurehorse:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8mTD-FMqaT8

- that would be, what? smile
zerosum
Decree-Wake of Devastation
A CD that no one wants to hear and I fucking love it, I love that they did it, although times were different then, waaaay different.

hehehe on back and forth 7 the track "those loud neighbors" is a decree track called "talons grasp" with Dwayne on it, of course its different but instantly recognizable.

That disc inspires me and comes to mind when i think "noise"

Of course there are other noisy bands out there but this on the top for me
greedmink
wetterberg wrote:
D/A A/D et al, do you know where one might find the online equivalent of a CD box set with essential noise tracks, spanning the sub-genres?

the Sub-Rosa comps for better or worse come to mind -- Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music series

but those aren't free nor online ..

John Olson has an interesting podcast that not only covers Vanity Records, Outsider Music,
Christian records, but crucial early noise, most of it totally rare ...
e.g. the Japanoise of "K2" defines a genre or two.... look for the Noise releases here:

http://inzane.podomatic.com/

also, a couple other good noisy podcasts of note:

http://between_the_vortex.podomatic.com/
http://hansonrecords.podomatic.com/
Babaluma
when i hear the term noise i usually think of whitehouse and merzbow, i have a few of their albums. i never really considered TG or nurse with wound noise music, although obviously there are similarities with the above two acts.

how about the earliest noise?

my vote goes to "The Black Mass: An Electric Storm In Hell" on the white noise - an electric storm album. 1968 and as harsh as anything whitehouse ever released.

there's a huge noise scene in japan, i've been to a few events myself, my friend plays in noise acts, but to be honest i haven't really been impressed. lots of spotty youths with few creative ideas trying to be more obnoxious than the next. saw eight noise acts one night, all opening for melt banana, by the time melt banana came on (who were brilliant by the way, and shamed all the previous acts), my ears were sick of sound, so i couldn't really enjoy it as much as if i'd just seen them.

it seems there is very little creativity or originality in the noise scene i am aware of here, but i am happy to be proved wrong if anyone has any good recommendations!
wetterberg
thanks, greedmink - will have a good listen.
opsysbug
Funny-here are some "noise" comments from my youtube vids...
The guitar gods don't like me ! (opsysbug on YT)

"...lol are you kidding me? dude can you do anything with that rig?...sounds way to crackly"

"this vid...Crackle Crackle-occasional overused r2d2 noise-Crackle Crackle...not such a great vid if your trying to show off your hardware"

"pretty stupid, I can make more interesting noise with just a delay pedal than this guy does with a bunch of hardware... show me how to use SUCH noise in a track and I'll take it back, but that's just quite boring - and i'm sayin' this though I love interesting noise-sounds and experimental soundscapes"

...oh well... we're not worthy
shamann
Yeah, the guitar guys are a hoot when it comes to the noise. My favourite is the "I just hear random noise" complaint. To which I usually answer "I wish, it would have saved me a lot of time."

Don't feel too bad, one of the guys who criticized you posted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyP1iGEzTo

eek!
parasitk
shamann wrote:

eek!

Wow. Worst guitar tone ever. bzz bzzzzz bzzzzz bzz bzzzzz eek!
neandrewthal
parasitk wrote:
shamann wrote:

eek!

Wow. Worst guitar tone ever. bzz bzzzzz bzzzzz bzz bzzzzz eek!

You can't do metal on a maple fretboard, or at least that guy and myself can't.
RealDudes
What kind of noise does fat worm of error make?
Demi Jon
I try to play, to quote Neil Diamond, beautiful noise. Or Free Noise, which is a catch-all term encompassing all organised sounds which are outside of that other catch-all term, music.

Check this out, if you've not seen it before:

WHAT IS FREE? A Free Noise Manifesto
Pentachoron
To me, noise is the sound of internet forums.

But seriously, I'm not a stickler for well defined or stiff genre classifications. In my mind, noise music is mostly harsh or loud or disjointed, and isn't rooted in or dominated by rhythm or melody. Work with more structure and composition I usually try to describe with a couple of modifiers or adjectives, for the sake of being more specific in discussion.

Several months ago I finally purchased "Selected Noise Works 93-94 (1994)" by Monde Bruits, after first having heard of the project in the early 1990s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monde_Bruits

That material is the kind of thing I personally describe as noise. I don't have a lot of it, because essentially ten or so CDs of harsh, chaotic noise is all I need as representative of the genre.
Nelson Baboon
That's somewhat hilarious, I think, if all of those sub genres really exist. To my mind, it's kind of contradictory to the whole point of something like 'noise music', which is to absolve constraining what music is by a set of rules.
theglyph
Nelson Baboon wrote:
That's somewhat hilarious, I think, if all of those sub genres really exist. To my mind, it's kind of contradictory to the whole point of something like 'noise music', which is to absolve constraining what music is by a set of rules.

This was one of the strange points of the INC (International Noise conference) shows which made the "rule" that no drones were acceptable. It was never really enforced because how could it be? They never really defined what a "drone" is and I just felt it a bit tough to give this ambiguous limit to performers at a "noise" show.
stk
I've always thought noise is about control & focus. Anyone can make a racket, but it's the true noise master who can control that racket and focus it into brilliance. Scimitar, axe, plank w/ nails, choose your weapon.
pannikel
Babaluma wrote:

how about the earliest noise?

my vote goes to "The Black Mass: An Electric Storm In Hell" on the white noise - an electric storm album. 1968 and as harsh as anything whitehouse ever release!

ha thats great! I havnt thought about that album in years, I'll have to dig it out and see if it holds up

How about Noise is an investigation into potential grounds for the anti-capitalist...hmmmm.... http://www.arteleku.net/noise_capitalism/
pdf to try on the side there...
theantiroman
@ Pannikel

Saw Mattin deliver a discourse on this at No Fun Fest a few years back. Raw computer noise then a strange berating of the audience for actaully sitting through hours of noise sets. Best performance I've seen in a while insofar as it was very alienating but for a completely different reason than volume.

The Noise/capitol book is good but it's a little dense/dry too.
theantiroman
Good quote from N&C

“… one day there will be no music,
just possibilities.”
(N. & C. – p. 164)
laserpalace
I've been reading this book : http://www.therestisnoise.com/

It heavily delves into the history of dissonance and noise throughout the 20th century. I highly recommend it for people interested in the subject.

To quote john cage on this one :

"There is no noise, only sound. I haven't heard any sounds that I consider something I don't want to hear again, with the exception of sounds that frighten us or make us aware of pain. I don't like meaningful sound. If sound is meaningless, I'm all for it."

I pretty much agree with his point of view on noise. It's very subjective.
Hi5
"What noise is to you...?"

Something to be overcome.
de_raaf
i rather consider noise as a side product, than a sound intentionally made

so the sound of of a vacuum cleaner is in that sense more noise, than a sound generated by noise musician

same as construction sounds, industrial by product sounds etc

but that more in a sense of traditional look to it of sounds that are annoying, disturbing, a by product of another process, without really being the intention of creation those sounds in the first place

that is way more pure, than controlling it etc
amnesia
noise to me is pop music
D/A A/D
amnesia wrote:
noise to me is pop music

From one of my favorite Merzbow interviews:

"There is no difference between Noise and Music in my work. I have no idea
what you term "Music" and "Noise". It's different depending on each person.
If "Noise" means uncomfortable sound, then pop music is noise to me."

- Interview with Oskari Mertalo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6