MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What noise is to you...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author What noise is to you...
Hi5
RUMPLEDFORESKIN wrote:
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
eye_maggot wrote:
Why are we trying to define noise? I think this is incredibly retarded, and offensive. Is this some sort of introduction to those who don't know the genre? Why bother, when I started listening to noise/experimental whatever, I had no introduction, I found it on my own, this is the problem with web boards/internet there are always those who try and DEFINE EVERYTHING, to me NOISE is an un-definable genre, and its blatantly obnoxious to put a LIST OF LABELS as above on such a rebellious form of art. FUCK OFF POSER


Hello and welcome to Muffs.

I think with this type of approach you are maybe in the wrong place. Why don't you try a board such as Chondritic Sound?


What are you trying to say about Chondritic Sound?!?!?!? FUCK OFF POSER! 8_)


Wait a minute! I thought the noise "musicians" were posturing as musicians and people who understand their gear? w00t
D/A A/D
Wow, telling a moderator to fuck off with your first post... Oh wait, I am a poser... That's right.
felixer
like i said Mr. Green
felixer wrote:
obnoxious youngsters trying to piss off their parents

does quoting yourself make you a poser too? hmmm.....
ripit
a little quote from Katsumi Nozu (Bar Noise /Osaka)
" The spirit of noise is the destruction of fixed ideas. Some people say it is masturbation, but it is fun to watch others masturbate"

hihi

i would make the difference between NOISE (no rythm no melody) and NOISY (containing non-melodic, non-rythmic elements inside a musical structure)

so, TG, Neubauten, Sonic Youth, Ant-zen stuffs are NOISY but not NOISE.

and now, just to make what i've just said totally absurd, a little NOISY classic by a Master of the NOISE discipline :

eye_maggot
D/A A/D wrote:
Wow, telling a moderator to fuck off with your first post... Oh wait, I am a poser... That's right.


Why does it matter if i tell you to fuck off because you are a moderator? Will you censor me, just for voicing my opinion on the matter?

I think your thread is BS -- Why not address the situation, why the need for such a Zagat system for "noise" music? I just don't think there is any need for the whole A-Z Dictionary list of artist, and genre, sub genre, just seems so cannabilizing -- and a little to easy....

yeah we get it you are the one on the forum who obviously (to an extent) understands the pathos of the underground noise/exp scene, but why the need to spread it all around like butter? let people find out for themselves......
Rod Serling Fan Club
Don't Some of us have the benefit of hindsight and can look back on scene elitism and exclusivity and laugh. You will get there eventually too.
rico loverde
eye_maggot wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
Wow, telling a moderator to fuck off with your first post... Oh wait, I am a poser... That's right.


Why does it matter if i tell you to fuck off because you are a moderator? Will you censor me, just for voicing my opinion on the matter?

I think your thread is BS -- Why not address the situation, why the need for such a Zagat system for "noise" music? I just don't think there is any need for the whole A-Z Dictionary list of artist, and genre, sub genre, just seems so cannabilizing -- and a little to easy....

yeah we get it you are the one on the forum who obviously (to an extent) understands the pathos of the underground noise/exp scene, but why the need to spread it all around like butter? let people find out for themselves......


Seriously? Who made you the spokesperson for the noise/exp scene.

Hey muff cancel muffwiggler, everyone should figure everything out for themselves.
GeneralBigBag
ripit wrote:
a little quote from Katsumi Nozu (Bar Noise /Osaka)
" The spirit of noise is the destruction of fixed ideas. Some people say it is masturbation, but it is fun to watch others masturbate"

hihi

i would make the difference between NOISE (no rythm no melody) and NOISY (containing non-melodic, non-rythmic elements inside a musical structure)

so, TG, Neubauten, Sonic Youth, Ant-zen stuffs are NOISY but not NOISE.

and now, just to make what i've just said totally absurd, a little NOISY classic by a Master of the NOISE discipline :



YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
ripit
GeneralBigBag wrote:
ripit wrote:
a little quote from Katsumi Nozu (Bar Noise /Osaka)
" The spirit of noise is the destruction of fixed ideas. Some people say it is masturbation, but it is fun to watch others masturbate"

hihi

i would make the difference between NOISE (no rythm no melody) and NOISY (containing non-melodic, non-rythmic elements inside a musical structure)

so, TG, Neubauten, Sonic Youth, Ant-zen stuffs are NOISY but not NOISE.

and now, just to make what i've just said totally absurd, a little NOISY classic by a Master of the NOISE discipline :



YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!


So you know where the mighty band Cock ESP has taken their name hihi
and so you can malke a sub-genre : DESTRUCTIVE NOISE hmmm.....
acidphakist
This thread makes me wonder if I'm in the wrong Internet.

Do "noise" fans have tinnitus and cling to this "noise" because it helps alleviate that awful ringing?

Noise is something I try SO hard to remove by using decent cables, minding my cable runs, keeping my cell out of the studio etc...
Babaluma
eye_maggot wrote:
Ok so here are some "recognized" sub genres:
harsh noise (PCRV, Stimbox, Xome)
Japanoise (Incapacitants, The Gerogerigegege, Merzbow)
walls (The Rita, Seagull, LHD)
rhythmic noise (Wolf Eyes, Sixes, Sword Heaven)
drone (Damion Romero, Birchville Cat Motel, Slow Listener)
synth noise (Pulse Emitter, Demons, Headboggle)
cut up noise (Sickness, T.E.F., Guilty Connector)
lo-fi noise (Fossils, Sick Lama, Loveletters)
power electronics (Prurient, Whitehouse, Bastard Noise)
death industrial (Atrax Morgue, Maurizio Bianchi, Brighter Death Now)
laptop noise (Mike Shiflet, John Wise)
scrap noise (The Haters, IDX1274)
doom (Burial Hex, Burial Hex, Burial Hex)

associated genres:
old school industrial (Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten, SPK)
power violence (Man Is The Bastard, the endless blockade)
noisegrind (Anal Cunt, Genital Masticator, Gore Beyond Necropsy)
noise rock (Sonic Youth, Unsane, Lightning Bolt)

(shouldn't be) associated genres (in my opinion):
power noise, noize or distorted beat music (Synapscape, Iszoloscope, anything on ant-zen)
EBM (Wumpscut, FLA, Nitzer Ebb)
Digital Hardcore (Atari Teenage Riot)

Why are we trying to define noise? I think this is incredibly retarded, and offensive. Is this some sort of introduction to those who don't know the genre? Why bother, when I started listening to noise/experimental whatever, I had no introduction, I found it on my own, this is the problem with web boards/internet there are always those who try and DEFINE EVERYTHING, to me NOISE is an un-definable genre, and its blatantly obnoxious to put a LIST OF LABELS as above on such a rebellious form of art. FUCK OFF POSER


There's only one anal cunt in this thread.

applause Peter Grenader Dead Banana Dinner at the Y
acidphakist
Has he ever mastered a noise EP?

sad banana Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo seriously, i just don't get it
Nelson Baboon
THis asshole just got back from a thread about sequencers, dissing anyone who might want to do interesting sequencing as 'experimental noodling'. Of course that's a term that can be a badge of honor, but it horrifies him.

He just wants to make acid. He doesn't want to be a "hipster" which the people using Serge or Buchla are.

Now he's trolling here.

acidphakist wrote:
This thread makes me wonder if I'm in the wrong Internet.

Do "noise" fans have tinnitus and cling to this "noise" because it helps alleviate that awful ringing?

Noise is something I try SO hard to remove by using decent cables, minding my cable runs, keeping my cell out of the studio etc...
xart
acidphakist wrote:
Noise is something I try SO hard to remove by using decent cables, minding my cable runs, keeping my cell out of the studio etc...



Yeah, we are all a bunch of dopes who don't know what we are doing...

Most 'noise' and experimental music "fans" + people who are involved in experiemtnal sound - (who I meet at shows in "our city", Chicago) are usually not ' hipsters' but are in fact 30 yr old+ sucessful professionals in fields like engineering, computer science, mathematics, law and medicine. thumbs up

How many wigglers have you ever met real time?
Nelson Baboon
Math people are hipsters.
lordofthebored
Isn't noise what happens when you master Red Hot Chili Peppers albums or exquisitely recorded top 40 hits so loud that it drowns out the sound of a car engine?
GeneralBigBag
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Math people are hipsters.


Hipsters want to be math people, but don't have the grit.
Reese P. Dubin
I challenge Alex to a noise POSE OFF or POSE DOWN or whatever it would be called.

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO DELIVER MR MODERATOR??????

GO
Hi5
your noise is gay.
RUMPLEDFORESKIN
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
RUMPLEDFORESKIN wrote:
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
eye_maggot wrote:
Why are we trying to define noise? I think this is incredibly retarded, and offensive. Is this some sort of introduction to those who don't know the genre? Why bother, when I started listening to noise/experimental whatever, I had no introduction, I found it on my own, this is the problem with web boards/internet there are always those who try and DEFINE EVERYTHING, to me NOISE is an un-definable genre, and its blatantly obnoxious to put a LIST OF LABELS as above on such a rebellious form of art. FUCK OFF POSER


Hello and welcome to Muffs.

I think with this type of approach you are maybe in the wrong place. Why don't you try a board such as Chondritic Sound?


What are you trying to say about Chondritic Sound?!?!?!? FUCK OFF POSER! 8_)


Nothing! I am a member there myself, and have been longer than I have been a member here. Just horses for courses. f u


MY ASS IS BLEEDING
felixer
Hi5 wrote:
your noise is gay.

this was bound to happen lol
suboptimal
I don't tend to listen to much noise, but I love to wallow in my own. This question strikes me, as someone outside the scene, as an interesting intellectual question rather than a question of defining genre. I'm inclined to go with something like:

Noise is sound that precedes, but can become part of, discernable musical structure, and that is actively listened to. One can find noise appeal in a jackhammer if the sound is focused on, or it can just be a loud, irritating sound. The main distinguishing factor, in my mind, is the relationship of the listener to the sound.

Take my girlfriend (please!). She reacts terribly to my moving even slightly in a noisy direction with my modular. To her, the sounds I create aren't sounds she wants to engage with, while to me, they're lovely noise monsters.

And also, ur gehy.
Nelson Baboon
I have totally lost track of genres, subgenres, and all other divisions of all classes of 'popular' music. This is mostly because I simply don't care. I have a very vague idea - enough to tell me that 'this isn't techno', etc.

So I think the question intellectually is different. Given my indifference about the boundaries and subdivisions of the noise 'genre' the question becomes simply - how would I define something called 'noise music' in a way that differentiates it from other music.

I don't know. I think that it might come down to this, which would be a very first approximation....(parenthetically I started reading a book by a fellow whose name I'm forgetting - maybe paul hegarty - called noise music. I found it to be painfully pretentious, and lasted maybe 20 pages. And don't quote a nazi like Heidegger to me and hope to gain my favor either)....but I digress. Maybe its music that permits any sound or combination of sounds at all whether or not they fit into other genres or annoy the hell out of people, and then also would tend to weight the unpretty sounds much more heavily than the pretty. Maybe it's that no weight at all is given to making any part of the music pretty - individual sounds, or patterns, etc. That's enough for me. I don't need pretentious drivel, and I don't need some threshold of aggression either. But then I am 'unschooled' in the academic notion of noise.
D/A A/D
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
I challenge Alex to a noise POSE OFF or POSE DOWN or whatever it would be called.

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO DELIVER MR MODERATOR??????

GO


This hurts more than frying bacon in the nude...

I would never challenge you to anything but who could drink more beer while we hang out and have an awesome time, oh but wait... I am a poser, so you may not want to associate with me anymore. I would only bring shame to the house of Pei.

seriously, i just don't get it
acidphakist
xart wrote:
acidphakist wrote:
Noise is something I try SO hard to remove by using decent cables, minding my cable runs, keeping my cell out of the studio etc...



Yeah, we are all a bunch of dopes who don't know what we are doing...

Most 'noise' and experimental music "fans" + people who are involved in experiemtnal sound - (who I meet at shows in "our city", Chicago) are usually not ' hipsters' but are in fact 30 yr old+ sucessful professionals in fields like engineering, computer science, mathematics, law and medicine. thumbs up

How many wigglers have you ever met real time?


I went to a Trash Audio/Wiggler meet and met plenty, thanks. While they certainly had the cash to dump into "noise modules" I'm pretty sure they were trust fund kids. There may have been an engineer mixed in.

I happen to be a thirty-something engineer/CS guy myself. If you know of anyone making music with modular synthesis in the Chicago area I'd love to make their acquaintance.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 4 of 6
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group