MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What noise is to you...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author What noise is to you...
D/A A/D
Ok, so this is where all the "what is noise" talk should go... I will direct all conversations in other treads to here to;

A) Avoid flame wars
B) Not derail our friends and comrades posts

Sound gravy?.. Good, I thought so as well...

applause
futuresoundsystems
Unstructured, loud drones with an impending sense of doom. Mr. Green
Roycie Roller
Just following on from the other thread, that's why i don't really like Merzbow, etc- sure it's loud as fuck but so what. There's no guts, no colour. Just black & bleak. When i think of 'noise' i think of soundscapes, and good soundscapes have all kinds of nuances & change, and they can be damn pretty & beautiful & emotive too.
I recently bought an album with Merzbow playing the Synthi & to be honest, he made it sound like a heavy metal pedal the WHOLE album.
D/A A/D
Ok so here are some "recognized" sub genres:
harsh noise (PCRV, Stimbox, Xome)
Japanoise (Incapacitants, The Gerogerigegege, Merzbow)
walls (The Rita, Seagull, LHD)
rhythmic noise (Wolf Eyes, Sixes, Sword Heaven)
drone (Damion Romero, Birchville Cat Motel, Slow Listener)
synth noise (Pulse Emitter, Demons, Headboggle)
cut up noise (Sickness, T.E.F., Guilty Connector)
lo-fi noise (Fossils, Sick Lama, Loveletters)
power electronics (Prurient, Whitehouse, Bastard Noise)
death industrial (Atrax Morgue, Maurizio Bianchi, Brighter Death Now)
laptop noise (Mike Shiflet, John Wise)
scrap noise (The Haters, IDX1274)
doom (Burial Hex, Burial Hex, Burial Hex)

associated genres:
old school industrial (Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten, SPK)
power violence (Man Is The Bastard, the endless blockade)
noisegrind (Anal Cunt, Genital Masticator, Gore Beyond Necropsy)
noise rock (Sonic Youth, Unsane, Lightning Bolt)

(shouldn't be) associated genres (in my opinion):
power noise, noize or distorted beat music (Synapscape, Iszoloscope, anything on ant-zen)
EBM (Wumpscut, FLA, Nitzer Ebb)
Digital Hardcore (Atari Teenage Riot)

Now all that said... This is my opinion, and as for EBM I love me some early Front 242, DAF... No hate there...

Let the brawl begin...

Alex
Kwote
anything that can't be classified as melodic. and noise modules hotdamn.
D/A A/D
Kwote wrote:

Ahh.. But you see... Many Pulse Emitter, Burial Hex and even Bastard Noise tracks contain melody... That is one of the slippery slopes.
Kwote
D/A A/D wrote:
Kwote wrote:

Ahh.. But you see... Many Pulse Emitter, Burial Hex and even Bastard Noise tracks contain melody... That is one of the slippery slopes.

then to me noise becomes an element to that particular track and not genre based.

i'm all for hybrid shit anyways so fuck it. i'll slide all the way down the slope and crash land. i don't give a shit.
Chuck E. Jesus
another person on another site mentioned "bro-noise" which i took to be aimed at Wolf Eyes and the like...i assumed it was derogatory, and yet hilarious...i've seen them a few times and enjoyed them...

i guess i'm more from the "old school", i used to listen to stuff like P16D4, Nurse With Wound, TG, Neubauten, etc...not into the whole Whitehouse thing...always thought of DAF as Neu Deustch Welle...

some non-synth stuff is pretty intense: Borbetamagus , Flying Luttenbachers, etc...(sorry for spelling)

the only "sub genres" i've heard of is Power Electronics, and "old School Industrial, which i know simply as industrial...pretty much got off the boat as soon as the whole Wax Trax era began tbh...
D/A A/D
wolf eyes and crew are also referred to as hipster noise, false noise, and scenester noise. Or "That Michigan Crap"...

I personally adore wolf eyes, and I am way to fat to be a hipster...
Chuck E. Jesus
D/A A/D wrote:
I am way to fat to be a hipster...

i can relate brother...i used to be a "hipster" but the clothes just don't fit anymore...
D/A A/D
ross g wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
I am way to fat to be a hipster...

i can relate brother...i used to be a "hipster" but the clothes just don't fit anymore...

Hmmm let me see... What would I prefer to eat:

a) baby food
b) a nice rare ribeye

Skinny jeans just aint worth it...
eyehue
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Coffee Addiction FTW
Cybananna
D/A/A/D, in reality, I think your breakdown of subgenres is about right, but i've always felt there's really no need to be so detailed. Too many subs. i've always seen it as face-melting noise and not face-melting noise. anymore than that and it just gets confusing.

i've always avoided the noise scene though since I was too old to care about hipness (which my area seemed to think they had too much of) when noise became a well known genre. so maybe all the subs have meaning if you're a part of that? there's so much similarity.

I agree about noise rock and drum and noise (ant zen / hands) etc. not being "true" noise. However, early ant zen had a lot of noise albums that did not fit the beat oriented noise they are known for today..

good topic! but like politics, we could probably go on forever!

Guinness ftw!
D/A A/D
Cybananna wrote:
D/A/A/D, in reality, I think your breakdown of subgenres is about right, but i've always felt there's really no need to be so detailed. Too many subs. i've always seen it as face-melting noise and not face-melting noise. anymore than that and it just gets confusing.

i've always avoided the noise scene though since I was too old to care about hipness (which my area seemed to think they had too much of) when noise became a well known genre. so maybe all the subs have meaning if you're a part of that? there's so much similarity.

I agree about noise rock and drum and noise (ant zen / hands) etc. not being "true" noise. However, early ant zen had a lot of noise albums that did not fit the beat oriented noise they are known for today..

good topic! but like politics, we could probably go on forever!

Guinness ftw!

re:

D/A A/D wrote:
To be fair... I come from a LONG history of fighting about "what is noise"... I need to remember that you kids, may not be aware of the ancient battle. Many a flame war was started on the embers of that question, many a soldier lost to its cause.

To outsiders I can see why all the sub-genres seem silly and to micro organized. But for most parts it keeps the fighting to a minimum, although there is many a noise head who feels categorizations of noise is what is killing noise.

But what the fuck do I know???
Cybananna
SlayerBadger! I see where you're coming from. I hope you know that wasn't intended to challange or anything. just my thoughts. Also, after I posted it, I thought "oh crap" about the hipster comment. Some of the people who might be considered hip in my area are really cool and have always been great when we've played together. So it wasn't intended to apply to everyone. In fact, most of the artists are really cool, it's the many of the fans that were the problem for me.

For me, the problem with noise is that there are so many people out there who make noise who don't harness the noise. making some random racket, to me doesn't really qualify one as being a noise artist. controling the noise does. Intentional noise does. We'll, I'm not so sure about Cock ESP although they are one of my favorites!

But my opinion certainly isn't law lol who the heck am I?
D/A A/D
Cock ESP, Rubber "O" Cement and Panicsville are all in a league of their own...

As for the "fans" comment, as the lyric goes:

"It's not the band I hate, its their fans"

Alex
Kwote
Cybananna wrote:
who the heck am I?

some might say GOD.
Roycie Roller
Kwote wrote:
Cybananna wrote:
who the heck am I?

some might say GOD.

Uh uh buddy- IM God.
You hearin me?

smile
Chuck E. Jesus
Roycie Roller wrote:
IM God.
You hearin me?

smile

only in my nightly prayers...
Cybananna
Kwote wrote:
Cybananna wrote:
who the heck am I?

some might say GOD.

Well, some say my family name traces back to Odin, for what ever that's worth. lol
Roycie Roller
ross g wrote:
Roycie Roller wrote:
IM God.
You hearin me?

smile

only in my nightly prayers...

WHATTT??? Only in your nightly prayers ?? My Moleculal-Plasmodial-Internet-Infiltrator-Galactical-Human-Ruler device must be playing up again!!! Damn Service Providers- you can never seem to find one that works up here in Heaven!
Grrrr...
Bricks
so many lulz @ 'bro-noise'
spbaker
Roycie Roller wrote:

My Moleculal-Plasmodial-Internet-Infiltrator-Galactical-Human-Ruler device must be playing up again!!!

is that the scsi or firewire version? remember you need a terminator on the end if its scsi
Cybananna
lol Panicsville lol are pretty cool. I completely missed Rubber "O" Cement. Good visuals are fun.
humanfaculties
My humble, little equation....

Noise is music, and music is listening.

Arbitrary and circular to the max, but how can anyone expect a lesser absurdity when it comes to defining one's absurd aesthetics?

seriously, i just don't get it
D/A A/D
humanfaculties wrote:
My humble, little equation....

Noise is music, and music is listening.

Arbitrary and circular to the max, but how can anyone expect a lesser absurdity when it comes to defining one's absurd aesthetics?

EXCELLENT RESPONSE! I could almost be satisfied locking this thread. wink

Seriously though, that is an excellent observation, I tip my hat to you sir!
humanfaculties
ha, ha...thanks man!

Hopefully the discussion won't end any time soon (nor this thread dammit)......doesn't mean it's not fun to cough up some lofty twaddle on the subject now and again.
wetterberg
D/A A/D et al, do you know where one might find the online equivalent of a CD box set with essential noise tracks, spanning the sub-genres?

One of the performances that really reignited my faith in dsp audio (you know, after the email checking years) was this one, by pleasurehorse:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8mTD-FMqaT8

- that would be, what? smile
zerosum
Decree-Wake of Devastation
A CD that no one wants to hear and I fucking love it, I love that they did it, although times were different then, waaaay different.

hehehe on back and forth 7 the track "those loud neighbors" is a decree track called "talons grasp" with Dwayne on it, of course its different but instantly recognizable.

That disc inspires me and comes to mind when i think "noise"

Of course there are other noisy bands out there but this on the top for me
greedmink
wetterberg wrote:
D/A A/D et al, do you know where one might find the online equivalent of a CD box set with essential noise tracks, spanning the sub-genres?

the Sub-Rosa comps for better or worse come to mind -- Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music series

but those aren't free nor online ..

John Olson has an interesting podcast that not only covers Vanity Records, Outsider Music,
Christian records, but crucial early noise, most of it totally rare ...
e.g. the Japanoise of "K2" defines a genre or two.... look for the Noise releases here:

http://inzane.podomatic.com/

also, a couple other good noisy podcasts of note:

http://between_the_vortex.podomatic.com/
http://hansonrecords.podomatic.com/
Babaluma
when i hear the term noise i usually think of whitehouse and merzbow, i have a few of their albums. i never really considered TG or nurse with wound noise music, although obviously there are similarities with the above two acts.

how about the earliest noise?

my vote goes to "The Black Mass: An Electric Storm In Hell" on the white noise - an electric storm album. 1968 and as harsh as anything whitehouse ever released.

there's a huge noise scene in japan, i've been to a few events myself, my friend plays in noise acts, but to be honest i haven't really been impressed. lots of spotty youths with few creative ideas trying to be more obnoxious than the next. saw eight noise acts one night, all opening for melt banana, by the time melt banana came on (who were brilliant by the way, and shamed all the previous acts), my ears were sick of sound, so i couldn't really enjoy it as much as if i'd just seen them.

it seems there is very little creativity or originality in the noise scene i am aware of here, but i am happy to be proved wrong if anyone has any good recommendations!
wetterberg
thanks, greedmink - will have a good listen.
opsysbug
Funny-here are some "noise" comments from my youtube vids...
The guitar gods don't like me ! (opsysbug on YT)

"...lol are you kidding me? dude can you do anything with that rig?...sounds way to crackly"

"this vid...Crackle Crackle-occasional overused r2d2 noise-Crackle Crackle...not such a great vid if your trying to show off your hardware"

"pretty stupid, I can make more interesting noise with just a delay pedal than this guy does with a bunch of hardware... show me how to use SUCH noise in a track and I'll take it back, but that's just quite boring - and i'm sayin' this though I love interesting noise-sounds and experimental soundscapes"

...oh well... we're not worthy
shamann
Yeah, the guitar guys are a hoot when it comes to the noise. My favourite is the "I just hear random noise" complaint. To which I usually answer "I wish, it would have saved me a lot of time."

Don't feel too bad, one of the guys who criticized you posted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyP1iGEzTo

eek!
parasitk
shamann wrote:

eek!

Wow. Worst guitar tone ever. bzz bzzzzz bzzzzz bzz bzzzzz eek!
neandrewthal
parasitk wrote:
shamann wrote:

eek!

Wow. Worst guitar tone ever. bzz bzzzzz bzzzzz bzz bzzzzz eek!

You can't do metal on a maple fretboard, or at least that guy and myself can't.
RealDudes
What kind of noise does fat worm of error make?
Demi Jon
I try to play, to quote Neil Diamond, beautiful noise. Or Free Noise, which is a catch-all term encompassing all organised sounds which are outside of that other catch-all term, music.

Check this out, if you've not seen it before:

WHAT IS FREE? A Free Noise Manifesto
Pentachoron
To me, noise is the sound of internet forums.

But seriously, I'm not a stickler for well defined or stiff genre classifications. In my mind, noise music is mostly harsh or loud or disjointed, and isn't rooted in or dominated by rhythm or melody. Work with more structure and composition I usually try to describe with a couple of modifiers or adjectives, for the sake of being more specific in discussion.

Several months ago I finally purchased "Selected Noise Works 93-94 (1994)" by Monde Bruits, after first having heard of the project in the early 1990s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monde_Bruits

That material is the kind of thing I personally describe as noise. I don't have a lot of it, because essentially ten or so CDs of harsh, chaotic noise is all I need as representative of the genre.
Nelson Baboon
That's somewhat hilarious, I think, if all of those sub genres really exist. To my mind, it's kind of contradictory to the whole point of something like 'noise music', which is to absolve constraining what music is by a set of rules.
theglyph
Nelson Baboon wrote:
That's somewhat hilarious, I think, if all of those sub genres really exist. To my mind, it's kind of contradictory to the whole point of something like 'noise music', which is to absolve constraining what music is by a set of rules.

This was one of the strange points of the INC (International Noise conference) shows which made the "rule" that no drones were acceptable. It was never really enforced because how could it be? They never really defined what a "drone" is and I just felt it a bit tough to give this ambiguous limit to performers at a "noise" show.
stk
I've always thought noise is about control & focus. Anyone can make a racket, but it's the true noise master who can control that racket and focus it into brilliance. Scimitar, axe, plank w/ nails, choose your weapon.
pannikel
Babaluma wrote:

how about the earliest noise?

my vote goes to "The Black Mass: An Electric Storm In Hell" on the white noise - an electric storm album. 1968 and as harsh as anything whitehouse ever release!

ha thats great! I havnt thought about that album in years, I'll have to dig it out and see if it holds up

How about Noise is an investigation into potential grounds for the anti-capitalist...hmmmm.... http://www.arteleku.net/noise_capitalism/
pdf to try on the side there...
theantiroman
@ Pannikel

Saw Mattin deliver a discourse on this at No Fun Fest a few years back. Raw computer noise then a strange berating of the audience for actaully sitting through hours of noise sets. Best performance I've seen in a while insofar as it was very alienating but for a completely different reason than volume.

The Noise/capitol book is good but it's a little dense/dry too.
theantiroman
Good quote from N&C

“… one day there will be no music,
just possibilities.”
(N. & C. – p. 164)
laserpalace
I've been reading this book : http://www.therestisnoise.com/

It heavily delves into the history of dissonance and noise throughout the 20th century. I highly recommend it for people interested in the subject.

To quote john cage on this one :

"There is no noise, only sound. I haven't heard any sounds that I consider something I don't want to hear again, with the exception of sounds that frighten us or make us aware of pain. I don't like meaningful sound. If sound is meaningless, I'm all for it."

I pretty much agree with his point of view on noise. It's very subjective.
Hi5
"What noise is to you...?"

Something to be overcome.
de_raaf
i rather consider noise as a side product, than a sound intentionally made

so the sound of of a vacuum cleaner is in that sense more noise, than a sound generated by noise musician

same as construction sounds, industrial by product sounds etc

but that more in a sense of traditional look to it of sounds that are annoying, disturbing, a by product of another process, without really being the intention of creation those sounds in the first place

that is way more pure, than controlling it etc
amnesia
noise to me is pop music
D/A A/D
amnesia wrote:
noise to me is pop music

From one of my favorite Merzbow interviews:

"There is no difference between Noise and Music in my work. I have no idea
what you term "Music" and "Noise". It's different depending on each person.
If "Noise" means uncomfortable sound, then pop music is noise to me."

- Interview with Oskari Mertalo
amnesia
oh snap! :-)

I personally dont get into music with words, and I cant stand pop/rock music in general anymore.

also noise is TV most of the time especially advertising
anthonybisset
For me, noise is simply exploration of thresholds,, listener thresholds, performance thresholds, performer, speaker, venue, etc.

It's timely in that it reflects societies increasing disorder... The chaos of being here now, trying to balance fixed internal biology against rapidly changing external technology.

I see the carnival revival of the past 10 years as the emotional opposite of noise. While noise often works to brutalize the listener, to destroy any frame of reference and provide the listener with a depressed catharsis (from entropic energy release), the carnival works to destabilize the participant into confusing states of negentropic pleasure.

Perhaps a noise brothel with carnival rides would be a perfect fusion?
anthonybisset
I wanted to mention the non-associative field of noise being a consciousness free zone or free consciousness zone, whichever... There is a certain spiritual parallel to being overwhelmed by static. Very akin to yogic and altered states I've experienced.

are we there yet?
45?
anthonybisset
Having been performing (unwittingly) as a noise musician for a few years, I have a lot to say, or could be that I'm just working my way quickly to 50 without posting bullshit "so excited i could puke" messages about modules I care nothing about.

((There really should be a weighting system for this whole "social buy in via post count". I mean, if I write 200 words of useful data on a topic aren't a few posts like that good enough? Muffs is littered with jibberjabber from posters on the way to 50 and worse yet, it's all positive, Okay I'll stop bitching.))

So what I was on about was,
Genrefication of "Noise" isn't killing noise as a cultural movement. I think it's pretty clear bad noise shows are. It's an easy genre to fake with a modest gear investment.

"Noise Music" is laughably paradoxical and I hope it fulfills it's cultural marker by giving kids a genre and then destroying itself the only way a paradox knows how, in a shuddering wall of noise. This of course will cause more cultural evolution and expansion of sound or unsound concepts. Which is great. Music is boring, that's why were all here making music no?

I expect noise and chaos to get together and do some really great things.
Perhaps open that carny bar I was dreaming of above.
modularland
noise to me is music that has both of the following two aspects:

cannot be remembered
cannot be repeated
anthonybisset
So, should it be recorded / released?
hmmm.....

btw, I agree about the unrepeatable aspect. And I've never seen the audience head off to another bar and mount a sing-a-long
w00t
Reese P. Dubin
That Mattin thing was a real gas. Was so glad when he broke the fourth wall and took the piss. One because it was completely unexpected. Two because his version of whitehouse or whatever sucked.
Cat-A-Tonic
de_raaf wrote:
i rather consider noise as a side product, than a sound intentionally made

so the sound of of a vacuum cleaner is in that sense more noise, than a sound generated by noise musician

same as construction sounds, industrial by product sounds etc

If someone performed with a vacuum cleaner
they could potentially get stuff cleaned up as a byproduct of 'music'. Cheesy!

I agree with Anthony.
Immersive noise can be very Om
felixer
stk wrote:
Anyone can make a racket

actually ... no. you'd be surprised how few trained musicians/composers are capable of going beyond their training. which is a pity because only then you can
stk wrote:
control that racket and focus it into brilliance

a lot of 'noise music' is basically just a demonstration of incompetence by obnoxious youngsters trying to piss off their parents.
cecil taylor is a well (classically) trained pianist. only because of that can he play with such audacity. schoenberg developed atonal music because he had exhausted the harmonic system. as he said: 'someone had to do it'.
noise in music to me is simply everything too complex to grasp. because of our limited capacity. it has nothing to do with sound itself and everything with human nature. ymmv as usual ....
Nelson Baboon
Lots of music in general isn't made with competence.

One doesn't need to be trained to make good music.

I don't understand the point that noise is 'everything too complex to grasp'. I'm not sure either what you mean by 'complex' or 'grasp'
Nelson Baboon
anthonybisset wrote:
So, should it be recorded / released?
hmmm.....

btw, I agree about the unrepeatable aspect. And I've never seen the audience head off to another bar and mount a sing-a-long
w00t

This is really very good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtptqfEF58
felixer
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Lots of music in general isn't made with competence.

One doesn't need to be trained to make good music.

I don't understand the point that noise is 'everything too complex to grasp'. I'm not sure either what you mean by 'complex' or 'grasp'

complex as in 'a cymbal sound is more complex then a sinewave'.
grasp as in 'being able to connect/file with things you know'.
training doesn't have to be 'official'. it just means 'getting good/proficient at what you're doing'. 'learning on the job' is perfectly ok ....
offcourse anyone can get lucky and produce something worthwhile by accident. but not on a regular basis, methinks. offcourse that shouldn't prevent anybody from taking risks and going out on a limb. as long as you add the experience to your 'knowledge base'. that is what i call 'learning'. or 'training yourself'. happens naturally everywhere. only way to prevent it afaik is frontal lobotomy.
edit: i do believe that (in theory) humans have infinite capacity. just don't see too many examples of it. and 'human nature' should read more like 'the current average state of the human race'. despite everything i remain optimistic Mr. Green
Nelson Baboon
felixer wrote:

training doesn't have to be 'official'. it just means 'getting good/proficient at what you're doing'. 'learning on the job' is perfectly ok ....
offcourse anyone can get lucky and produce something worthwhile by accident. but not on a regular basis, methinks. offcourse that shouldn't prevent anybody from taking risks and going out on a limb. as long as you add the experience to your 'knowledge base'. that is what i call 'learning'. or 'training yourself'. happens naturally everywhere. only way to prevent it afaik is frontal lobotomy.

But most sounds are more complex than a sinewave and we don't call them noise....so as an explanation of what you mean, it doesn't help me.

I'm not sure how one 'knows' a sound.

Become more proficient at what you do applies to anything. I don't understand how it pertains particularly to noise music.
felixer
Nelson Baboon wrote:
felixer wrote:

But most sounds are more complex than a sinewave and we don't call them noise....so as an explanation of what you mean, it doesn't help me.

Become more proficient at what you do applies to anything. I don't understand how it pertains particularly to noise music.

yeah, i see a line from sine->electronic organ->plucked string->bowed string->gong-with-knob->cymbal->electronic (white/pink) noise. or something like that (everything beyond 'bowed string' is still often considered 'noise' by classical musicians). on another plane there are modulations of pitch and amplitude of those sounds: you could make 'noise music' with just a sine, played in a certain way. yet another plane holds added reflections from different 'containers' like sphere->cube-> asymetrical rooms->highly irregular surroundings like baroque churches (source being in the centre).
'knowing a sound' would imply being able to predict it. the worst prob being a repeated sample like with those awfull machinedrums that go on 3 min without variation in yer avarage 80ies popsong.
Nelson Baboon
But white noise could also be viewed as simple...

I WANT sounds that I can't predict. In that sense, I don't want to know them. Predicting them removes the element of surprise, which I like. To me, proficiency becomes the ability to surprise and delight myself.

I'm not even sure how to define proficiency, except simply that i can make music that I like. That's bogus in some sense, but I'm not sure if an individual can, in honesty, really go beyond that.

I'm just thinking out loud, which is often disasterous.

felixer wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
felixer wrote:

yeah, i see a line from sine->electronic organ->plucked string->bowed string->gong-with-knob->cymbal->electronic (white/pink) noise. or something like that (everything beyond 'bowed string' is still often considered 'noise' by classical musicians). on another plane there are modulations of pitch and amplitude of those sounds: you could make 'noise music' with just a sine, played in a certain way. yet another plane holds added reflections from different 'containers' like sphere->cube-> asymetrical rooms->highly irregular surroundings like baroque churches (source being in the centre).
'knowing a sound' would imply being able to predict it. the worst prob being a repeated sample like with those awfull machinedrums that go on 3 min without variation in yer avarage 80ies popsong.
felixer
Nelson Baboon wrote:

yes, so the circles closes. as with most things. although that is a philosofical/religious notion alien to western/monotheistic culture. one of my favourite sounds is a sine modulated by white noise. as simple as it seems, it took me years to get there Mr. Green
Nelson Baboon wrote:
To me, proficiency becomes the ability to surprise and delight myself.

thumbs up that's exactly what i mean. unfortunatly they don't teach you those techniques at school .... but in the mean time you picked up a lot of knowledge about the gear your working with. getting better at it with time. like it or not: you do know what you're doing. experimenting is more then just blindly fiddling along. your output proves that. nodnod
Nelson Baboon
felixer wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

yes, so the circles closes. as with most things. although that is a philosofical/religious notion alien to western/monotheistic culture. one of my favourite sounds is a sine modulated by white noise. as simple as it seems, it took me years to get there Mr. Green
Nelson Baboon wrote:
To me, proficiency becomes the ability to surprise and delight myself.

thumbs up that's exactly what i mean. unfortunatly they don't teach you those techniques at school .... but in the mean time you picked up a lot of knowledge about the gear your working with. getting better at it with time. like it or not: you do know what you're doing. experimenting is more then just blindly fiddling along. your output proves that. nodnod

But it DOES feel that way - blindly fiddling along, sometimes with the intent to do so, else I'll just be boring myself. The trick is then to choose correctly - that sucks or I like that...so maybe one needs just a little bit of knowledge, but I always push myself so far past it that it feels more like blindly fiddling along. That also leads to despair.
eye_maggot
[quote="D/A A/D"]Ok so here are some "recognized" sub genres:

associated genres:

power noise, noize or distorted beat music (Synapscape, Iszoloscope, anything on ant-zen)

Why are we trying to define noise? I think this is incredibly retarded, and offensive. Is this some sort of introduction to those who don't know the genre? Why bother, when I started listening to noise/experimental whatever, I had no introduction, I found it on my own, this is the problem with web boards/internet there are always those who try and DEFINE EVERYTHING, to me NOISE is an un-definable genre, and its blatantly obnoxious to put a LIST OF LABELS as above on such a rebellious form of art. FUCK OFF POSER
Rod Serling Fan Club
opsysbug wrote:
"this vid...Crackle Crackle-occasional overused r2d2 noise-Crackle Crackle...not such a great vid if your trying to show off your hardware"

I hadn't realized r2d2 "noise" had become cliche. Much of what I do could probably be loosely described as r2d2 sounds. I guess I better sell my gear and get a strat and a delay pedal. There is so much unexplored area with a guitar and a delay pedal.
rico loverde
Fuck off poser? Hey welcome to muffs mr friendly. At least he's adding something to the forum.
Rod Serling Fan Club
I think he accidentally clicked the 13 and over button, thinking 12 and a half counted.
Reality Checkpoint
eye_maggot wrote:
Why are we trying to define noise? I think this is incredibly retarded, and offensive. Is this some sort of introduction to those who don't know the genre? Why bother, when I started listening to noise/experimental whatever, I had no introduction, I found it on my own, this is the problem with web boards/internet there are always those who try and DEFINE EVERYTHING, to me NOISE is an un-definable genre, and its blatantly obnoxious to put a LIST OF LABELS as above on such a rebellious form of art. FUCK OFF POSER

Hello and welcome to Muffs.

I think with this type of approach you are maybe in the wrong place. Why don't you try a board such as Chondritic Sound?
felixer
Nelson Baboon wrote:
felixer wrote:
experimenting is more then just blindly fiddling along

But it DOES feel that way - blindly fiddling along, sometimes with the intent to do so, else I'll just be boring myself. The trick is then to choose correctly - that sucks or I like that...so maybe one needs just a little bit of knowledge, but I always push myself so far past it that it feels more like blindly fiddling along. That also leads to despair.

like they say: learn everything there is to know and then forget everything you learned. forgetting is the hard part .... very frustrating is part of the game: no pain, no gain .... still, not doing it is even worse (you can hear gurdijev laughing in the distance) hihi
RUMPLEDFORESKIN
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
eye_maggot wrote:

I think with this type of approach you are maybe in the wrong place. Why don't you try a board such as Chondritic Sound?

What are you trying to say about Chondritic Sound?!?!?!? FUCK OFF POSER! 8_)
Reality Checkpoint
RUMPLEDFORESKIN wrote:
eye_maggot wrote:

Nothing! I am a member there myself, and have been longer than I have been a member here. Just horses for courses. f u
Hi5
RUMPLEDFORESKIN wrote:
eye_maggot wrote:

Wait a minute! I thought the noise "musicians" were posturing as musicians and people who understand their gear? w00t
D/A A/D
Wow, telling a moderator to fuck off with your first post... Oh wait, I am a poser... That's right.
felixer
like i said Mr. Green
felixer wrote:
obnoxious youngsters trying to piss off their parents

does quoting yourself make you a poser too? hmmm.....
ripit
a little quote from Katsumi Nozu (Bar Noise /Osaka)
" The spirit of noise is the destruction of fixed ideas. Some people say it is masturbation, but it is fun to watch others masturbate"

hihi

i would make the difference between NOISE (no rythm no melody) and NOISY (containing non-melodic, non-rythmic elements inside a musical structure)

so, TG, Neubauten, Sonic Youth, Ant-zen stuffs are NOISY but not NOISE.

and now, just to make what i've just said totally absurd, a little NOISY classic by a Master of the NOISE discipline :

eye_maggot
D/A A/D wrote:
Wow, telling a moderator to fuck off with your first post... Oh wait, I am a poser... That's right.

Why does it matter if i tell you to fuck off because you are a moderator? Will you censor me, just for voicing my opinion on the matter?

I think your thread is BS -- Why not address the situation, why the need for such a Zagat system for "noise" music? I just don't think there is any need for the whole A-Z Dictionary list of artist, and genre, sub genre, just seems so cannabilizing -- and a little to easy....

yeah we get it you are the one on the forum who obviously (to an extent) understands the pathos of the underground noise/exp scene, but why the need to spread it all around like butter? let people find out for themselves......
Rod Serling Fan Club
Don't Some of us have the benefit of hindsight and can look back on scene elitism and exclusivity and laugh. You will get there eventually too.
rico loverde
eye_maggot wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:

Why does it matter if i tell you to fuck off because you are a moderator? Will you censor me, just for voicing my opinion on the matter?

I think your thread is BS -- Why not address the situation, why the need for such a Zagat system for "noise" music? I just don't think there is any need for the whole A-Z Dictionary list of artist, and genre, sub genre, just seems so cannabilizing -- and a little to easy....

yeah we get it you are the one on the forum who obviously (to an extent) understands the pathos of the underground noise/exp scene, but why the need to spread it all around like butter? let people find out for themselves......

Seriously? Who made you the spokesperson for the noise/exp scene.

Hey muff cancel muffwiggler, everyone should figure everything out for themselves.
GeneralBigBag
ripit wrote:
" The spirit of noise is the destruction of fixed ideas. Some people say it is masturbation, but it is fun to watch others masturbate"

hihi

i would make the difference between NOISE (no rythm no melody) and NOISY (containing non-melodic, non-rythmic elements inside a musical structure)

and now, just to make what i've just said totally absurd, a little NOISY classic by a Master of the NOISE discipline :

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
ripit
GeneralBigBag wrote:
ripit wrote:

hihi

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

So you know where the mighty band Cock ESP has taken their name hihi
and so you can malke a sub-genre : DESTRUCTIVE NOISE hmmm.....
acidphakist
This thread makes me wonder if I'm in the wrong Internet.

Do "noise" fans have tinnitus and cling to this "noise" because it helps alleviate that awful ringing?

Noise is something I try SO hard to remove by using decent cables, minding my cable runs, keeping my cell out of the studio etc...
Babaluma
eye_maggot wrote:
Ok so here are some "recognized" sub genres:

associated genres:

There's only one anal cunt in this thread.

applause Peter Grenader Dead Banana Dinner at the Y
acidphakist
Has he ever mastered a noise EP?

sad banana Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo seriously, i just don't get it
Nelson Baboon
THis asshole just got back from a thread about sequencers, dissing anyone who might want to do interesting sequencing as 'experimental noodling'. Of course that's a term that can be a badge of honor, but it horrifies him.

He just wants to make acid. He doesn't want to be a "hipster" which the people using Serge or Buchla are.

Now he's trolling here.

acidphakist wrote:

Do "noise" fans have tinnitus and cling to this "noise" because it helps alleviate that awful ringing?

Noise is something I try SO hard to remove by using decent cables, minding my cable runs, keeping my cell out of the studio etc...
xart
acidphakist wrote:

Yeah, we are all a bunch of dopes who don't know what we are doing...

Most 'noise' and experimental music "fans" + people who are involved in experiemtnal sound - (who I meet at shows in "our city", Chicago) are usually not ' hipsters' but are in fact 30 yr old+ sucessful professionals in fields like engineering, computer science, mathematics, law and medicine. thumbs up

How many wigglers have you ever met real time?
Nelson Baboon
Math people are hipsters.
lordofthebored
Isn't noise what happens when you master Red Hot Chili Peppers albums or exquisitely recorded top 40 hits so loud that it drowns out the sound of a car engine?
GeneralBigBag
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Math people are hipsters.

Hipsters want to be math people, but don't have the grit.
Reese P. Dubin
I challenge Alex to a noise POSE OFF or POSE DOWN or whatever it would be called.

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO DELIVER MR MODERATOR??????

GO
Hi5
your noise is gay.
RUMPLEDFORESKIN
RUMPLEDFORESKIN wrote:
eye_maggot wrote:

Nothing! I am a member there myself, and have been longer than I have been a member here. Just horses for courses. f u

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
felixer
Hi5 wrote:
your noise is gay.

this was bound to happen lol
suboptimal
I don't tend to listen to much noise, but I love to wallow in my own. This question strikes me, as someone outside the scene, as an interesting intellectual question rather than a question of defining genre. I'm inclined to go with something like:

Noise is sound that precedes, but can become part of, discernable musical structure, and that is actively listened to. One can find noise appeal in a jackhammer if the sound is focused on, or it can just be a loud, irritating sound. The main distinguishing factor, in my mind, is the relationship of the listener to the sound.

Take my girlfriend (please!). She reacts terribly to my moving even slightly in a noisy direction with my modular. To her, the sounds I create aren't sounds she wants to engage with, while to me, they're lovely noise monsters.

And also, ur gehy.
Nelson Baboon
I have totally lost track of genres, subgenres, and all other divisions of all classes of 'popular' music. This is mostly because I simply don't care. I have a very vague idea - enough to tell me that 'this isn't techno', etc.

So I think the question intellectually is different. Given my indifference about the boundaries and subdivisions of the noise 'genre' the question becomes simply - how would I define something called 'noise music' in a way that differentiates it from other music.

I don't know. I think that it might come down to this, which would be a very first approximation....(parenthetically I started reading a book by a fellow whose name I'm forgetting - maybe paul hegarty - called noise music. I found it to be painfully pretentious, and lasted maybe 20 pages. And don't quote a nazi like Heidegger to me and hope to gain my favor either)....but I digress. Maybe its music that permits any sound or combination of sounds at all whether or not they fit into other genres or annoy the hell out of people, and then also would tend to weight the unpretty sounds much more heavily than the pretty. Maybe it's that no weight at all is given to making any part of the music pretty - individual sounds, or patterns, etc. That's enough for me. I don't need pretentious drivel, and I don't need some threshold of aggression either. But then I am 'unschooled' in the academic notion of noise.
D/A A/D
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
I challenge Alex to a noise POSE OFF or POSE DOWN or whatever it would be called.

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO DELIVER MR MODERATOR??????

GO

This hurts more than frying bacon in the nude...

I would never challenge you to anything but who could drink more beer while we hang out and have an awesome time, oh but wait... I am a poser, so you may not want to associate with me anymore. I would only bring shame to the house of Pei.

acidphakist
xart wrote:
acidphakist wrote:

Yeah, we are all a bunch of dopes who don't know what we are doing...

Most 'noise' and experimental music "fans" + people who are involved in experiemtnal sound - (who I meet at shows in "our city", Chicago) are usually not ' hipsters' but are in fact 30 yr old+ sucessful professionals in fields like engineering, computer science, mathematics, law and medicine. thumbs up

How many wigglers have you ever met real time?

I went to a Trash Audio/Wiggler meet and met plenty, thanks. While they certainly had the cash to dump into "noise modules" I'm pretty sure they were trust fund kids. There may have been an engineer mixed in.

I happen to be a thirty-something engineer/CS guy myself. If you know of anyone making music with modular synthesis in the Chicago area I'd love to make their acquaintance.
acidphakist
Nelson Baboon wrote:
THis asshole just got back from a thread about sequencers, dissing anyone who might want to do interesting sequencing as 'experimental noodling'. Of course that's a term that can be a badge of honor, but it horrifies him.

He just wants to make acid. He doesn't want to be a "hipster" which the people using Serge or Buchla are.

Now he's trolling here.

acidphakist wrote:

This guy has an attitude problem and doesn't like being reminded of it.
xart
acidphakist wrote:
If you know of anyone making music with modular synthesis in the Chicago area I'd love to make their acquaintance.

Absolutly.

What are you doing Saturday night? Florian Hecker will be playing Graham Foundation and I have a few tickets but no date...would you like to go with me?
I'll even buy you dinner...PM me if your interested. (if you have a wife or GF (or BF?) bring s/he too I have plenty of invites..

You will be into it...he will be doing one of his 'acid' sets.... thumbs up
acidphakist
PM sent, this sounds fun. If this is simply a set up so Nelson Babbon can shank me, shame on you...
Nelson Baboon
For the record - this asshole is harassing me with pm's.

He posted on another thread asking to be friends, and I thought we had this resolved, and now he's evoking posts that had already been made.

Stupid asshole newbie fuck.

acidphakist wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Now he's trolling here.

acidphakist wrote:

acidphakist
Nelson Baboon wrote:

He posted on another thread asking to be friends, and I thought we had this resolved, and now he's evoking posts that had already been made.

acidphakist wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Now he's trolling here.

acidphakist wrote:

For the record, I've PM'd this poor man just once and told him to chillax and enjoy the internet.

And now he's turning this into a soap opera.

Everyone, GET YOUR POPCORN THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD.
xart
acidphakist wrote:
PM sent, this sounds fun. If this is simply a set up so Nelson Babbon can shank me, shame on you...

righton...

Nelson? naw he is great (this is nothing! just be lucky you were not around the MAX list in 98! that is where the real action was)

...the ONLY Chicago wiggler this cowboy would not go into the octagon with is ChuckEJesus he would hurt me.
Nelson Baboon
I got 2 pm's - the second after I told you to stop. They were not exactly friendly.

Beware.

acidphakist wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

acidphakist wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Now he's trolling here.

acidphakist wrote:

For the record, I've PM'd this poor man just once and told him to chillax and enjoy the internet.

And now he's turning this into a soap opera.

Everyone, GET YOUR POPCORN THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD.
Nelson Baboon
Fucking Lord Jesus - You remember that? That was great fun wasn't it? Long live Antiorp/Integer/(others).

xart wrote:
acidphakist wrote:

righton...

Nelson? naw he is great (this is nothing! just be lucky you were not around the MAX list in 98! that is where the real action was)

...the ONLY Chicago wiggler this cowboy would not go into the octagon with is ChuckEJesus he would hurt me.
Nelson Baboon
xart wrote:

I would hurt you with my mind, as I can cause your eyes to turn inside out with the pure power of thought. But I am not from Chicago.
acidphakist
Well that's true. After you complained that you would complain I dared you to complain. Lol

Can you please take back the mean things you've said about me? I'm going to probably hang with a few Chicago wigglers and you may have given them the wrong impression of me.
Demi Jon
can you guys all just take this outside please? you're making far too much noise.
acidphakist
Demi Jon wrote:
can you guys all just take this outside please? you're making far too much noise.

Well played
Nelson Baboon
oh, I think I'm going to go and make me some phat beats.

"Will you be my friend, Nelson Baboon"
acidphakist
acidphakist
Nelson Baboon wrote:
oh, I think I'm going to go and make me some phat beats.

"Will you be my friend, Nelson Baboon"
acidphakist

Is programming and processing one's rhythm tracks considered a BAD thing in this circle?
suboptimal
What the new folks don't understand is that Nelson Baboon is 70 feet tall, covered with razor wire fur, and shoots rabid assault dolphins from orifices in his extra dozen arms. I know because I've bought modules from him in person, and was forced to kneel before him by his army of radioactive mutant half baboon, half gorilla, half alligator commandos. Beware, indeed.
acidphakist
Neat.
Nelson Baboon
suboptimal wrote:
What the new folks don't understand is that Nelson Baboon is 70 feet tall, covered with razor wire fur, and shoots rabid assault dolphins from orifices in his extra dozen arms. I know because I've bought modules from him in person, and was forced to kneel before him by his army of radioactive mutant half baboon, half gorilla, half alligator commandos. Beware, indeed.

meow
Diamat
theantiroman wrote:
@ Pannikel

Saw Mattin deliver a discourse on this at No Fun Fest a few years back. Raw computer noise then a strange berating of the audience for actaully sitting through hours of noise sets. Best performance I've seen in a while insofar as it was very alienating but for a completely different reason than volume.

The Noise/capitol book is good but it's a little dense/dry too.

we in taumaturgia are finishing the edition (in collab with cac bregtiny) the complete edition of mattin´s essays
D/A A/D
If this thread does not get under control I will have to lock it, seriously.
onrust nv
Onrust nv has 8 noise projects:
Maximaal K-baal: harsh noise
DKM: ambiënt noise
Werpkotsvirus: softnoise
Rectum oscillatie: sub bass noise
Onrustindustrie: rhytm&noise (one of our live acts)
Onkunde: acoustic sample noise
Goedkope rotzak collectief: ultra low-fi stupid noise recorded in a toilet
and one nameless project, but that one isn't finished yet.
The counter is now at 27 projects
doctoranalog
CJ Miller
To me, "noise" as a style of music is about found materials, sonic scrap, and no (or subverted) tonalty. Re: phat beatz, percussion and sequences definitely come off as noise if the timbre is raw enough, or the patterns are sufficiently difficult. Some of the more freakish breakcore I like I would say crosses over into noise. Making beats from location recordings also.

The point is liberation from restrictive rules and consumerism. Street-level punk fluxus improvisation with audio is noise. Not using instruments can be noise. Not knowing or using music theory can be noise.

When I was a kid (1980s), everybody I knew referred to this as "industrial music", which somehow confusingly became the name of a genre of silly club music. In the 90s many referred to any difficult-to-pidgeonhole music as "experimental" which i have always hated because the listener typically has no way to know if the music is actually an experiment at all.

IMO musical genres are only of any use to marketers and music store owners who need to label bins for consumers, or insecure people who are trying to re-enforce which subculture they want to identify with. I typically don't bother with stylistic categories because music to me is an artistic process, rather than a commodified product.
Sharktootth
Here we are...five years later...

Noise to me, is the soundtrack of obsession. Not just obsession but at least when I listen to THE RITA, that is what I feel. Early PRURIENT gives me that feeling too. Where as BASTARD NOISE and WOLF EYES stuff is more dread.

YELLOW TEARS is more the 'fun' side of insanity. If ATRAX MORGUE is the dark and horrible side of obsessiveness and insanity (killing people, molesting them etc.). YELLOW TEARS is more the crazy otaku weeb or grown man thinking he is a Disney Princess. It's funny in a sad way.

If you guys like synths and noise I highly recommend material off the STRANGE RULES catalogue. It is noisey but also layered in melodic synths.
Thymallinae
Noise is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Noise is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD.
Swann
Just reading Aldous Huxleys 'Doors of Perception' and I'm finding some tie ins about how I loosely define 'Noise Music'.

One of his ideas is that man has adapted to basically filter out the enormous amounts of noise coming from the universe and environment in order to survive. Essentially we have been conditioned to focus on particular frequencies(light, sound etc.) so that we can create useful symbols, including language.

The cool thing about noise is it's basically a bypass of our normalizing functions., If we allow it to carry us we can experience things outside our normal symbolic make up. Kind of like a shamanic trip.

I wonder how Huxley would have reacted to these sounds, probably would've blown a gasket... SlayerBadger!
PapaLazarou
Bro noise Dead Banana
cycad73
so how is wolf eyes "bro"? not really into them in terms of being a scenester/completist, but i like what i've heard... i think new generations should be able to go someplace else with the sound/concept...

also DAF live in 1979/80 did veer into punk/noise assault. they had already gone through a few lineups before achieving their mature sound. it's closer than you think, maybe even closer than neubauten at the time. the noise stuff came out more live (the 'live' tracks on die kleinen and die bösen) but was there in the beginning.

free jazz also comes in through takayanagi/abe from early 1970's and also peter brötzmann. borbetomagus seems more in this tradition.
deepblackjoe@gmail.com
the spiderweb that describes all the modulating halfwits in the mist. go in. inward
PapaLazarou
cycad73 wrote:
so how is wolf eyes "bro"? not really into them in terms of being a scenester/completist, but i like what i've heard... i think new generations should be able to go someplace else with the sound/concept...

the record on subpop i guess? Dead Banana I do love the one with Anthony Braxton though
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 6