freq/phase/ring + other modulations with oscillators

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

nigel
Veteran Wiggler

Re: freq/phase/ring + other modulations with oscillators

Post by nigel » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:42 am

CZ Rider wrote: There was the Aries AR-338 "PMS" oscillator that was based on the SSM2030 chip. They called this Phase Modulated Sync though and may not be exactly the same as PM, but did look interesting.
No, it has nothing to do with phase modulation, although it is interesting. Most sync inputs just reset the slave oscillator on the rising or falling edge of the input signal. This circuit feeds the sync input into a comparator. If you input (for example) a triangle wave into the sync, you can effectively generate an edge at any point of the waveform. As a result, the slave oscillator can be offset against the sync oscillator.
You can of course do this with any oscillator which has a sync input, if you have a spare comparator - input an audio frequency triangle wave and an LFO into the comparator, and the comparator output into the other oscillator sync input. You may want to mix the two oscillators to make the effect obvious.

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: freq/phase/ring + other modulations with oscillators

Post by ear ear » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:22 am

CZ Rider wrote:Not sure what it would sound like? [...] Surprised no one has cloned that one, but could be due to the rarity of the SSM2030.
The Nonlinearcircuits VCO has features from the Aries VCO.
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:47 pm

these vcos look interesting, especially the nonlinearcircuits one, very sergeseque!

im beginning to think digital its the way to go in modulation oscillators as my pure data synth is sounding extremely nice. here is a sound sample called "antarctica", kind of a ppg wave 2100 ;-)

http://tindeck.com/listen/opgv

this is variable width pulse train oscillator -> double ringmodulator in just tunings -> tremolo -> mono delay -> schippmann vcf-02 vcf -> slightly detuned stereo delay

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:07 pm

btw: does anybody know any other interesting frequency modulations besides fm/pm/rm? anything that generates a new spectrum out of 2 frequencies ...

extra testicle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by extra testicle » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:46 pm

it seems like all modulations if done right will make new frequencies. :) have you found any that haven't?

i really like pulse width. sync and pulse code are good too. :)

phase mod is just inverted am? tbh, i get confused on the terminology going between software, hardware, theory, visual + audio...i don't know if i feel like i really need any more modulations! ;) then when you start combining them! the "problem" when you're patching up is you can go much faster than you can understand it. (it's not really a problem :lol: ) then throw some slews in anywhere and start modulating the slew amount...and feedback...

but i think my favorite modulation is direction... it seems like not enough stuff let's you do that without mega patching. what is direction modulation called? amplitude, frequency, phase, sync mod? like string vibration or striking an object...

or jitter? :lol: the analogy of how it works "physically" that i remember reading is that it's like a wave hitting a wall and it bounces back if not dampened. tbh, that's a pretty great sound to me! it's the kind of thing i'm always taking the time patching up at least...:lol:

doepfer quad vc lfo gets nice syncing the phase flip with the sync and direction. even though it's only 8 stages i like the a152 voltage addressed switch to help visualize sync to get my sines working.. i usually use nord modular or software, but they get their own weird jitter too... :)

demodulation is really fun also. :) imo both together are best. :lol:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”