MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need help understanding the Mobentheys
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Need help understanding the Mobentheys
Cata
Yesterday I stumbled upon the Ciat Lonbarde subforum and have been digging for hours looking through all the different synths/instruments that have been made. Eventually I got to the Mobenthey modules and started reading each one of the manuals/ watching the accompanying videos but I'm still sort of at a loss as to what the usefulness of these modules would be. From my perspective the modules seem to involve heavy use of chaos theory to make interesting waveforms but maybe theres more that I am missing here. hmmm.....

Seeing as I am new to this whole new world of synthesis I'm wondering if I should read up on any other particular piece of his gear first before trying to understand these super interesting modules

Any help or explanation would be awesome
ym2612
As I understand them:

Fourses is four triangle oscillators that are modulated in terms of bounce (speed) and bounds (range). Each of the four sets bounds for the adjacent oscillators, or you can feed any of the fourses inputs for setting the bounce/bounds. The video illustrates this well.

Denum is a relatively(!) conventional oscillator that is also modulated by bounce/bounds. It has an integral stereo VCA.

Swoop is similar to the Serge VCS concept and is a looping AD envelope/slew/oscillator with bounds and bounce modulation, but the up slope and down slope can be modulated independently.

Sprott is a filter with independent bandpass, highpass, lowpass, and chaos-pass outputs, plus multiple inputs with a VCA at the primary input. The inputs and outputs are interrelated in behavior and form a chaotic jerk equation. It has variable Q and can do relatively normal sounds or more wild stuff.

I would say that all of the modules are aimed at experimentation, and nothing Peter makes is truly conventional.
Cata
In terms of the Fourses, I get the whole bounds/bounce thing but I'm not sure what it means when it says the four oscillators are bouncing off of each other.
ym2612
The oscillators, from top to bottom, each have a certain DC offset (positive to negative). The output voltage of each cannot rise above or fall below a certain amount. The top horse can't go above a fixed voltage or below the voltage generated by the horse below it. They all bounce off of each other or off of bounds set by default or by inputs.
rodrigo
Though it's a bit abstract, the manual from the original Fourses circuit might help as it has drawings of stuff.

http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/fyrall/paperz/fourses/index.html
Summa
Thanks for the explanation, by the sound of it I feel like the real interesting module amongst these four are the Sprott and pehaps the Fourses.. In a way fourses sounds a bit like Pittsburghs Chain Reactor which is 4 LFO's with varying effect on each other. The Swoop sound like a MN Function without the Both input.

But who knows until they reach some users for review... hmmm.....
ym2612
Swoop does have a "both" input in the bounds section. w00t
rodrigo
I'm going to be getting some (all) of the modules at some point and even though I don't understand the labelling/description of the swoop module, I do like the idea/sound of how they were used in the dogslit back in the day:

http://ciat-lonbarde.net/rollz5/
(towards the bottom of the page)
diasporos
The vids barely scratch the surface as Peter just demo'ed basic functions. I've played with the modules a bunch for two weeks now and find them exceedingly inspiring and complex. I don't feel confident yet to post a vid explaining the ins and outs because the options are vast.
One thing I learned is that they operate together very well and all four are important to the 'voice'. At first, Fourses and Sprott seemed the most interesting but as I've experimented with modulation more, Denum and Swoop measure up to the same level.

There are MANY outputs and I've made use of a Boss Bow Tie 1x8 switch to reign them in, plus lots of VCAs controlled by an SSF Positronic Transient Gate module to create soundscapes of percussive, swooping, stopped, dirty melodies.

Main draw:
They can make a variety and type of sounds I've never heard before and the chaos stuff is very controllable. 40HP beast that sounds like a 9U case full of MN stuff. Organic, living voice. A living 'thing'.
Cata
Ok cool, think I'm starting to understand these guys a bit more...Only question that I still have is what does each of the four knobs for bounds do as well as the switch for each channel? Does the switch just turn the one oscillator one or off?
ym2612
The switches control the range of each oscillator (standard/low/CV). The left knob for each horse affects the symmetry of the triangle shape, i.e. turning it right of center will cause the left side to have a steeper slope and the right side to be less steep. This also affects frequency. The right knob for each is an attenuverter for the symmetry control input.
adammokan
Summa wrote:
The Swoop sound like a MN Function without the Both input.

As ym2612 pointed out, the Swoop does have the 'both' input like the MN Function. I have a Function and Swoop and they are similar, but def different in many ways. The thing I really like about the Swoop is the triggers for up and down rather than just a single trigger like on Maths, Function, and the Mutable Tides. Granted, you could do something similar with Maths and invert one of the channels, but its handy in an 8hp module for sure.
bisquick
could anyone either elaborate on the location and definition (as they see it) of the inputs and outputs of swoop, or point me to a thread that illustrates this information?

thanks! Chicken
mrhoudis
Swoop outputs are top right 2 jacks and bottom right 2 jacks. All the rest are inputs.
bisquick
thanks. i read the manual, but it's a bit thin w/r/t being explicit on i/o.
great fun so far.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1