MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mini-Modules : Minimoog DIY clone on its way.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 61, 62, 63  Next [all]
Author Mini-Modules : Minimoog DIY clone on its way.
muted
[quote="JTR1"]
CeeJay wrote:
Today I have finished building my MME. Much more room between the knobs than I thought. Very happy!

Nice looking build! What toggle switches did you use or are those hats on the toggles?
Tayda has these

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/tog gle-switch/toggle-switch-handle-cap-red.html

Unfortunately they do not have them in blue, but I'm sure Ebay/AliExpress does.
sYmphoman
Hi,

Back after 3 weeks away from home, and back to my finnished but untested boards.
So, debug time...

I started testing the +10v and -10v tracks on the analog board (not connected to the control board. I assume it's alright). both jumpers are installed.
I have 2 issues :
1/ my -10v seems buggy : not only do I get a +0.7v (trimpot has no effect) )on TP1, but also on my supply unit when plugged. I suspect a bad soldure or a bad component somewhere. Any idea where to start looking?
2/ My +10v is OK on TP2, TP4 and TP8 with -10v unplugged, but not TP6 (I get a 0.6v). I guess there's a problem on my OSC2 path, but again, where to start looking without the schematics?

Thanks for any good idea to help me ;-)
CeeJay
The very first thing to check (even before connecting the power supply) is always to measure the resistance between +12V and gnd, -12V and gnd and +12V and -12V.
I guess you have a short somewhere.

Edit: Maybe it's a good idea to have a new thread for MME build problems and troubleshooting?
sYmphoman
Thanks, and you're right : I forgot to mention I did test for resistance before connecting.
I have about 800K between each couple of poles (GND/+12, GND/-12, -12/+12).

As for the new thread, I leave it to Julien to start it officially, unless he wants me to.
nickster
pokeyasd wrote:
Did I miss this? Did all the good stuff go out of stock already?

Not really, Julien did a small initial run of pcbs together with slightly blemished faceplates. The main run will be starting later this month so keep yours eyes open for the release day.
CeeJay
@sYmphoman: Then have a look at the datasheets of the voltage regulators (LM2991 and TL1963Axxx) and doublecheck the resistance between the IN pin and GND pin of the regulator. And after powering on, measure the voltages directly at the IN and OUT pin of the regulators.
For further measurements a schematic would be really helpful!
sYmphoman
Well, all I can say is that you were right on the spot(s)!
Thanks a lot!

Reading the Datasheet of LM2991 taught me the pad was not the ground. ie : a bridge between it and ground was neither a good idea or something that will go unnoticed....

And I also had a bad soldered pin on a TL1963 (The one for OSC2....).

So, all voltages adjusted now, with CeeJay's big help!

I'll keep you posted with the rest of the process.
AonFLuX
jdelgoulet wrote:
I did not post it earlier. It will be : https://guinguin-instruments.ecwid.com

Maybe this link should be in the original post. Just so its easily found smile
muted
So I feel that it is appropriate to just say that I LOOOOVE my new piece of gear!!! It functions and works GREAT, even with no calibration (yet), super spacious compared to most Eurorack gear, so live manipulation and use is super easy - it totally reduces the amount of clutter on my synth for the patches that I otherwise would just do anyways. Any OMG that filter we're not worthy

Suuuper nice job Julien!!!
jdelgoulet
@CeeJay : actually there is no difference between the waveform taken from the control board vs taken from the molex on the analog board ;-)
I made a module to have the waveform buffered that also adds a sine waveform. This will be a 8HP width module with all 5 waveform outputs for each VCO. ( So basically with the MME + this module you have like 3 independant MiniMoog VCOs in your setup Guinness ftw! ).

@muted : thanks so much. You cannot imagine what this means to me after spending all that time on the project. I really appreciate. (And congrats for the build !!).
CeeJay
jdelgoulet wrote:
I made a module to have the waveform buffered that also adds a sine waveform. This will be a 8HP width module with all 5 waveform outputs for each VCO. ( So basically with the MME + this module you have like 3 independant MiniMoog VCOs in your setup

And will you sell these modules? I guess, it is easy to DIY, but it would be nice to have a matching panel.
Sparky
CeeJay wrote:
jdelgoulet wrote:
I made a module to have the waveform buffered that also adds a sine waveform. This will be a 8HP width module with all 5 waveform outputs for each VCO. ( So basically with the MME + this module you have like 3 independant MiniMoog VCOs in your setup

And will you sell these modules? I guess, it is easy to DIY, but it would be nice to have a matching panel.

And we all know how Julien loves panel manufacture!!! hihi
jdelgoulet
Sparky
w00t

Now I do actually since it's all externalized (Screenprinting on aluminium is not really compatible with a wee baby .. ).
CeeJay
It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
nickster
My build is coming along nicely, I guess. Everthing is now soldered except for an oscillator selector switch which is on order from Tayda. The original switch I managed to total when removing this from the pcb. Desouldering selector switches is absolutely not recomended. I'm concerned I may have damaged the control board in the process but will have to wait and see. Fingers crossed. Time to concentrate on the case I'm building to house this.
nickster
Well curiosity got the better of me and despite the lack of an oscillator selector switch for osc 2. I powered up the synth tonight. hihi it works and with a relatively short warm up period I tested all on board functions except the in/out plugs on the jack board. Really happy with that. Very nearly there now. It's peanut butter jelly time!
Ms304671
applause im interested!
Sparky
Finished my build today. All I have left is the plastic washers for the pots (ordered the wrong ones).

Powered up....nothing came out of it. Nothing at all. Silence.
CV & gate going in playing a little sequence. Nothing coming out.

I tested the voltages on all the oscillators. All good on 1 and 3. Oscillator 2 doesn't have +10v where it should (oddly its -2v).

I can hear Oscillator 1 on JP11 but I don't know where to trace from that point onwards. I guess there is no schematic?

I half suspect my crimp connections on the Micromatch connectors of not being very good.

Thanks..
sYmphoman
Hi,
For your voltage problem, refer to the discussion a few posts up. It could be related to the regulators.. Having the same symptoms, it turned out I had continuity between the pad of lm2991 and ground, which should not happen.
Sparky
My micro match connectors tested out perfectly, so the rules those out.

Thanks sYmphoman, I saw that conversation and already checked/reflowed the 1963 and 2991. No luck there either :(
sYmphoman
Hum and what about, as Ceejay suggested, measuring the voltage at the in and then out of each regulator. Could point you in the right direction.

As for the rest of the signal path, do you get a signal at the central pin of each of the 3 osc volume pots?
Sparky
Thanks for the kick in the right direction!

My OSC 2 reg is showing 11.something out -same as the input. OSC 1 and 3 both have a clean 10v here. I have a spare, but I hate to change it out and break another if something on the input could be causing it. I decided to move on to the audio while I ponder this...

Checking the OSC level pots helped test while I worked on finding the issue. I reflowed a few things while I was working on it so I can't say for sure what did it, but now I have 2 working oscillators going to the output. I got to noodle with things a little and make all kinds of noise applause

Now I have two working oscillators I can hopefully troubleshoot the bad one!
sYmphoman
Hi,

Progress report :
Working :
3 OSCs, driven individually by respecticve CV ins, provide a good signal for all ranges and shapes including pw to volume pot.

Not working yet :
1/Nothing happens if I plug my input cv into the global cv input
=> cv in is a global cv in , right? So far, I could only trace it to the base of Q100
2/Modulation doesnt seem to have any effect on the sound
=> not investigated yet
3/Nothing is coming out on main output
=> I will try tracing the signal through the filter to isolate the issue.

Any idea or suggestion will be welcome ;-)
Sparky
I wish I could tell you the one thing that made my main output work, but I can't! I certainly did a lot of pot twiddling and plugged unplugged all the jacks after I reflowed that part of the board.
I also did a continuity check on the micro match connectors.

CV in does seem to be global, yes (well in my case OSC 1 & 3 :( )

Modulation does affect sound for me. Make sure oscillator mod switch is ON. Can't figure out much on modulation though. i've been looking at some Model D tutorials on youtube!
sYmphoman
An alternative to youtube tutorial is vst or standalone virtual minimoog.
You can then just miror each move you make and check analog and digital match ;-)

Still tracing, measuring and studiying the board + mini's original moog schematics.
I've found a +10v on the top of my filter ladder where I dont think it should be (top of Q75 and Q77) : Following the schematics, I think it should be the non amplified signal out. Still working on it...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 61, 62, 63  Next [all]
Page 55 of 63