MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mini-Modules : Minimoog DIY clone on its way.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 60, 61, 62  Next [all]
Author Mini-Modules : Minimoog DIY clone on its way.
Sparky
Good idea on the VST.

I had noticed several configurations of pots (besides the obvious closed filter) that can leave you with nothing at the main output. This was one reason I watched the tutorial videos to "reset" the synth.

My replacement TL1963 just shipped.....and OSC2 started working on its own! eek! I haven't double checked voltages yet, but it sounds great! It's peanut butter jelly time!

You mention schematics....where are they?! I was looking for these.
sYmphoman
You can find the original schematics there : http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Moog/minimoog/ (In the service manual).
Julien's version of the Osc is the "old" one.

The only chalenge is to match Our board's parts numbers with the original ones, but once you've found a starting point, the rest is time consuming, but quite easy.
sYmphoman
OK so now my main out is finally working.
The mistake I had made was to have socketed all my matching transistors in case I would not be happy with the result.
Only thing : connections are less than ideal in that case. So taking the 30 sockets off (!...) and soldering the transistors directly solved the issue.

So now I only have to troubleshoot my vc/gate in. There's a way around by connecting cv1 in by only inserting the jack half way. In that case, cv2 and cv3 get connected as well.
As for the gate in, when I connect it, I get a horrible hissing sound.

Anyway, starting to see the light and hear angels ;-)
Sparky
If the angels are hissing, you are in the wrong place. Go UP! hihi

I thought about socketing my transistors, too. Perhaps I was better not doing this! I did match a lot ahead of time - more than enough, just in case I had to swap out - so I could remove a pair.

Thanks for the schematic link.

Awfully quiet here. Maybe everyone else is still soldering resistors?
bemerritt
Would love to see/hear some more before the nex run hopefully gets released soon!
Kipling
sYmphoman wrote:

So now I only have to troubleshoot my vc/gate in. There's a way around by connecting cv1 in by only inserting the jack half way. In that case, cv2 and cv3 get connected as well.
As for the gate in, when I connect it, I get a horrible hissing sound.

Are you sure you soldered the two jacks for CV and gate correctly? Not got them the wrong way round? Having it work with the CV plug only half way in seems to imply a faulty socket or incorrect fitting/bad soldered joint on the ground pin, or indeed a problem with the micro-match cable to the main analogue board.

Check for continuity from the sockets (all pins) back to where it connects to the main analogue board.
Kevin Mitchell
bemerritt wrote:
Would love to see/hear some more before the nex run hopefully gets released soon!

I keep checking up on things every few hours so I don't miss the next order window lol.

Thank you again Julian for your committed hard work. I'm beyond excited to have my own model D circuit. I hope your efforts are rewarded beyond gratitude.
nanners
sYmphoman
Quote:
Are you sure you soldered the two jacks for CV and gate correctly? Not got them the wrong way round? Having it work with the CV plug only half way in seems to imply a faulty socket or incorrect fitting/bad soldered joint on the ground pin, or indeed a problem with the micro-match cable to the main analogue board.

Check for continuity from the sockets (all pins) back to where it connects to the main analogue board.

Well, it actually seems to me quite normal on the contrary : cv1, 2 and 3 individual inputs are switching sockets and they share a common pin (the one connected to GND when a jack is inserted.
So, inserting a jack only half way through is not enough to connect that moving pin to the ground, but makes a connection between your cv input and the 3 cv ins. Following the circuit, I think this connection is actually even the link between the main cv + glide and the three oscillators.

Anyway, I indeed had to have a bad connection somewhere, and after checking every solder point several times, it finally turned out to be a bent pin on the controller to analog boards jumpers (JP2) : it was sliding between the two female connectors on the controller boards and wasnt visible.

That +realising my minibrute's gate source selector was on audio rather than keyboard very frustrating finished fixing my cv/gate input issue.

Quote:
If the angels are hissing, you are in the wrong place. Go UP! hihi

They stopped hissing at last hihi Now it's more like roaring daemons nanners
nickster
I'm not finished yet as the switch from Tayda is yet to arrive. But in the meantime I manged to finish off the case. So I needed to test out how the MME fitted. Really can't wait to fit the switch and calibrate.
CeeJay
That's a nice case. Great work!
Do you have the power supply in the front of the case? Or how do you power it?
nickster
CeeJay wrote:
That's a nice case. Great work!
Do you have the power supply in the front of the case? Or how do you power it?

Thanks, the case was a fun to make. I really wanted to have the MME stand alone hence the case. The power supply is in the front or rather it will be once I have properly secured it in place. Doepfer A-100 mnt . I was intending to house the power behind the synth but that did not look quite right to me. I may yet introduce a MIDI input as the case should have room for that too. The MME comes out easily so one can place it in a Eurorack case with little effort. Once I have it finished I'll post more images and if anyone is interested the case and power specs.
CeeJay
You could use the front of the case for a DIY ribbon controller and/or some extra sockets for the individual oscillator outputs. But maybe doesn't look at nice at it is now.
nickster
CeeJay wrote:
You could use the front of the case for a DIY ribbon controller and/or some extra sockets for the individual oscillator outputs. But maybe doesn't look at nice at it is now.

Nice idea, maybe something for the future. Well once again impatience got the better of me and I calibrated the oscillators so i could at least try out the 2 that are working. Well what a beauty this little synth is. As hoped for it has a fabulous low end and that nice high end fizz that the Minimoog is known for. Julien has done an amazing job converting this over to Eurorack format and adding the additional features. So a very big thank you to Julien I believe is in order. nanners
I have yet to complete the calibrations beyond point 3 and also get the Osc 2 waveform switch soldered in. I'm pretty sure once this is done the MME will become my favorite monosynth. w00t
Kevin Mitchell
I hope everyone is enjoying their builds!!
Can someone please explain the "Wheel" and "Mod-CV" controls?

I'm still working on my controller and I'm wondering if I simply need 0-5 volts CV for these inputs or if the pitch bend and modulation would be something I must design outside of the MME module? Is "Wheel" for the pitch wheel and "Mod-CV" for the modulation wheel? What are the voltage limits for these?

Perhaps a breakdown of each of the patch jacks would be helpful. Well, for me at least lol
jdelgoulet
Kevin Mitchell

"Mod-CV" has the same behaviour as the MOD input on a real minimoog : it affects all VCOs pitch (1V/oct).

'Wheel" is one of the two CV inputs of a VCA where the modulation signal go thru before hitting the OSC and Filter modulation switches.
The other input of that VCA is the potentiometer called "Mod-LEVEL" :

-1 With "Mod-LEVEL" at 0 and "Mod-Wheel" input at 0v, the level of modulation is at its minimum.
-2 With "Mod-LEVEL" at 0 and "Mod-Wheel" input at 10v, the level of modulation is at its maximum.
-3 With "Mod-LEVEL" at 10 and "Mod-Wheel" input at 0v, the level of modulation is at its maximum.

Concerning the pitch bend : In most cases (interfaces) the pitch bend CV is mixed with the output CV so you generali don't have to worry about it. Just plug your midi/CV pitch output to the MME CV input and you're good to go.
Now, some midi/cv interface have poor pitch bend travel, resolution etc this is why, on the Analog Board of the MME there is the JP10 pin header ...
JP10 has two pins : GND and pitch-bend input meaning that you could use the real mini pitch bend circuitry on the MME (http://i66.tinypic.com/xoldoy.jpg)
bemerritt
anyone else refreshing the store's page constantly?
nickster
Just wanted to say a big thanks to Julien for this wonderful project. I have yet to give her a name but my MME is fast becoming may favorite mono synth. Here is a short test sequence I tried out once I had her finally up and running.
https://soundcloud.com/nickster/mme-test-2

[/img]
jdelgoulet
bemerritt
Well ... for those who have been following the whole story know how it has been hard to get panel done right and how I loved it twisted
I received the new panels last week. They looked gorgeous : laser cut, brushed, black anodized then screenprinted in white. But guess what :
very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating Screenprint had an offset on all axis of about 0.5mm, enough to have your mind thinking the potentiometer were not round Dead Banana Dead Banana
DPD is coming tomorrow pinging them up. A new batch will be produce so more wait ... sorry.
bemerritt
No worries, more important to get it right!
Kevin Mitchell
Dead Banana
Well... I'll have more time to focus on the keyboard controller lol.

Hey, Julien. Thank you very much for that explanation. If it's not too much to ask... could you explain the functionality and voltage limits of each of the patch inputs? I'd like to make use of velocity and after-touch data for my controller and this information would be greatly useful for now since it'll be a while until I have my own MME to experiment with.

Thank you so much for your efforts. It's really tough to catch a break with those panels, huh!? Hang in there!
Troubleshooter
For the moment I am gonna fit this one with a Crowminius PCB. If that turns out poor sounding I might try out the MME boards.

groove
Jesse8n wrote:
Ok, one last thing. MPS8097. I have all other parts either in my possession or ordered except those and mouser says they aren't getting any until November. I searched and could not find anywhere else that had them. Anyone know of any in stock...or did anyone buy a lot of them to match and have a bunch left over that they want to sell me?

I am waiting on a batch from Mouser, too. Couldn't find another source...
JTR1
After a bit of searching on the web it looks like the MPS8097 is a substitute for the TIS97 which was the transistor originally used in the minimoog. Other potential subs are: 2N5210, BC107, BC547 and NTE199. Although they should all function there is no way of telling from looking at the datasheets if they will sound the same as the original. :( Also make sure you verify the pinout if you are trying any of these.
Jesse8n
I gave up trying to find them from somewhere else or find an alternative. Just going to wait it out/find some other stuff to build in the meantime. Problem with that is that the last 4 mouser carts I have put together have had stuff backordered until 2018 and everyone seems to be out of the same stuff.
Cheradenine
I have 28 MPS8097 left, bought 50 for matching purpose
But in these 28 it may be harder to find enough matched pair as I already gone through them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 60, 61, 62  Next [all]
Page 56 of 62