MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Source of Chaos / random stuff
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Source of Chaos / random stuff
hawklord2112
do we prefer the PlanB model 24 or the doepfer A149.1/A149.2?

i have watched jamescigler's demo of the planB, i cant find a similar demo of the doepfer units..
DrOctave
well i have the m24 the wogglebug from make noise and the 149 1,2 i like them all. they are all differnt all have pros and cons. but the m24 does not require a gate trig or cv to work like the 149.1, .2 does
Veqtor
Isn't a great thing about the A-149-1 the fact that it can output distributed random voltages?
dude
isn't the miard noisering part of the family here?
Umcorps
Veqtor wrote:
Isn't a great thing about the A-149-1 the fact that it can output distributed random voltages?

Yes, that and the fact the voltages out on the upper section are also quantised - one puts out octave steps, the other semitones - qualifies it as great for me. It's a very very musical kind of random source. 8_)
felix
hawklord2112 wrote:
do we prefer the PlanB model 24 or the doepfer A149.1/A149.2?

i have watched jamescigler's demo of the planB

hihi I have the MakeNoise WB now too, so I can only compare to that, but the M24 still edges it out as my favorite, for two principle reasons:

1) Independent Smooth and Stepped sections
I make use of this all the time and having a completely independent smooth out has proved extremely useful...even if you just use the stepped out to control some aspect of the smooth output.

2) Voltage control over random aspects
The voltage control over range and deviation is *really* handy. It would be great to also have attenuated inputs, but I suppose using external VCAs just make it that much more dynamic.

The MakeNoise WB is definitely a "bang-for-the-buck" winner in terms of features though, so I guess it depends what you want. If you want independent random functions *and* precise control over the random aspects, it's hard to beat the M24.

As far as the A-149, some people really like it, and others have not. Some have claimed that it's closer to pseudorandom, and that the random gates output module has a clear pattern to it, and not really random at all. I can't speak to that directly, but it's been mentioned more than once on the forum here. Simply searching for A-149 in the euro subforum should find you a lot.

The Wiard/Malekko Noisering is a really interesting alternative, especially if having control over probability or the rate/degree of change is an interesting concept to you. No smooth output, but a fairly unique control set.
Yohda
I have the WB, M24 and Noisering,

For the smooth out there are small difference betwen the M24 and WB : the M24 is more random because the trigger is pseudorandom and the slew rate vary with the trigger lenght.

But the WB is a bit smoother : the M24 look like a smoothed triangle and the WB look more like a sine.

Same things about the stepped out : pseudorandom trigger on the M24, and totally random voltage, with the WB, if you put the Chaos balance to the left (at 9 o'clock for ex) the voltage tend to"cluster" and I find this much more interresting and musical.

One of the big difference betwen the 2 is that the M24 is more random, and I prefer pseudorandom like the WB can do. But the 2 definitely have their strenght and specific use (for ex, the M24 smooth is easier for pan, for me)
wetterberg
also, the Plan B one doesnt really matter as much now, does it? Plan B is still defunct and ready to steal your money, etc.

Finding a used Heisenberg is pretty unlikely as well.
Yohda
Quote:
also, the Plan B one doesnt really matter as much now, does it?

Yep, not false wink
REwire
The Cwejman RG-6 has supplanted all the other Random modules I've owned.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12313

D
hawklord2112
Yohda wrote:
Quote:
also, the Plan B one doesnt really matter as much now, does it?

Yep, not false wink

i have just finished reading / skimming the planb "issues" thread.. oh well, shame that as they look like nice modules.

guess i will go with the doepfer 149.1/.2 as they seem to be able to do what i want them to do with a minimum of fuss.
suboptimal
I'm a fan of the Elby ChaQuo. It doesn't get much love in these discussions, but it's a very fun module to tweak.
wetterberg
that cwejman may be the first cwejman im really jonesing for... sigh.
blungo2
wetterberg wrote:

Finding a used Heisenberg is pretty unlikely as well.

I dunno, i picked up a used one at a good price. No problems with it so far.
I'd probably go for the Cwejman these days though...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1