MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

plumbutter 2 newbie questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author plumbutter 2 newbie questions
analog therapy
Hello everyone! I just received my plumbutter 2 yesterday, so it's still very fuzzy for me, I spent the night fighting with my plumbutter to arrive out a few correct sounds, I have already noticed that the sound is very low if we play with him with headphones, I just plug my Plumbi on my roland analog mixer and it comes extremely strong!

My 1st question is about the man with the red steam, in the description of Peter, it says that it is an 8-step sequencer, but it is impossible to directly trigger something with it if it is not patched, with one of the two rollz, right? So in fact it's more like a pulse divider/attenuator, right? help

My second question is about the number of volts per octave, to control in tension the different modules. is anyone know the number of volts per octave for each modules please? I would not cause damage to such beauty (especially because it's my birthday present and it is not given hihi ), let me explain what I like to do, i want use the parameters locks of the CV / GATE track of my analog4 and controlling some modules of my plumbutter, I'm sure this can give very interessant results, i saw someone try it with the analog 4 while it is the first thing that i thought , maybe I'm wrong and someone tried ? if someone tried, it would be super helpful to me to share his experiance please. help

thank you in advance !

cheers!!!! Guinness ftw!
ClausF
So first congrats to that great instrument!

I would say the MOTRS is a sequencer., because it's pulses go out in a sequence. Strange thing is. that those eight outs are not equal like in any other (pulse) sequencer, red and orange are different. And yes, it does not run alone, it needs a 'clock', here from the rollz.

Don't expect V/Oct in any module of the PB2. It does everything, but not V/Oct. And unfortunately nobody knows for sure what you can patch into it and what not. CL to CL works great, it works with Serge and Buchla and I used Eurorack too. Maybe you should not use negative voltages and no "fishy" signals. We have fishy in another thread here, it seems to be something like 'strange'...
analog therapy
thanks for your answer clausF ! what do you mean by "fishy signals" please ? sorry, i'm new with CL gear, plumbutter are my first instrument from peter....
But I read on the forum, someone who had tried it, and have someone answered it the different voltages of each sections of plumbutter, but I searched on the CL forum and I can not find this post. .. I'll try to see with a multimeter and I shall regulate volts on CV / GATE section of my A4 depending on the value I would have found on my multimeter. Thanks again! thumbs up
ClausF
Regarding fishy: I would be happy, when I could answer this question, I think nobody knows exactly...https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125389&sta rt=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fishy
Yes, a multimeter or oscilloscope helps with these instruments to see what is happening. It's not regulated as the Doepfer world is, but that's part of the fun
analog therapy
ClausF wrote:
Regarding fishy: I would be happy, when I could answer this question, I think nobody knows exactly...https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125389&sta rt=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fishy
Yes, a multimeter or oscilloscope helps with these instruments to see what is happening. It's not regulated as the Doepfer world is, but that's part of the fun

Thanks clausF !!! thumbs up
jadrowsky88
I have also a newbie question about plumbutter compatibility with eurorack, would it be safe to patch it with a 0-Coast?
xahdrez
There is a good thread that summarises compatibility with eurorack here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=177436

I've not tried it myself, but short answer appears to be that it is possible, but you need to be careful what you patch with what. In particular brown rollz output some 'funky' stuff that could cause damage so I would read that thread carefully before trying anything!
pugix
It's important to realize that Ciat-Lonbarde control inputs are current-sensitive, not voltage-sensitive. Yes, there is a relationship, more volts will generate more current. However for CL, even zero volts will generate a control current. Try patching ground into a control input. It changes things. You might even say that CL gear is current-controlled, not voltage-controlled. One nice advantage of this is that hard-patching multiple outputs together to one input is fine; it's not a no no, as with modulars. For example, stacking multiple MWTRS orange outputs will produce stepped voltages, and stacking the red outputs will OR together the pulses.

The main warning to follow when patching from modular synthesizers into CL gear is to put a 10K resistor in series. Because, the low output impedance of most modular gear (1k or less) will sink or source too much current, and will probably not do what you want.
jimmie
Really appreciate your precious knowledge/information. So valuable that perhaps it should be mentioned on the official site..

How about patching from CL gear into something? Like Rolz out into Volca beats' sync, for instance?
ghrobbing_tristle
Figured I'd ask here, so as to not open a new unnecessary thread...

I'm hoping I can place my Plumbutter order within the next few weeks, and, given this would be my first banana instrument, I'm left with some cabling questions. Should I be springing for 18-inch cables, or is 12-inch enough, given the Plum's length? I'll probably go the Pomona route -- I assume something like this would be fine?

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=22143 9076&uq=636246890742115428

Thanks!
pugix
jimmie wrote:
Really appreciate your precious knowledge/information. So valuable that perhaps it should be mentioned on the official site..

How about patching from CL gear into something? Like Rolz out into Volca beats' sync, for instance?

No danger to patch from CL gear into modular inputs. Just don't patch the brown CL jacks. Some modular trigger/gate inputs might not respond properly, though, due to their own design thresholds. Just try it.
jimmie
Thank you Richard, much appreciated.

I'm still wondering how to share the ground when patching into Volca.. I mean if I feed Volca's audio into Plumbutter's external-in, then the ground is shared by that (so I've learned). If both devices are connected to the same external mixer (via audio) does it still mean the ground is shared? Or, I have a banana-jack conversion box which has a ground insert. Connecting Plumbutter's ground out to the box's gound-in, then taking Volca's audio and plugging it into the box..(Volca's audio out is stereo jack but I assume both channel carries the same signal and the conversion box is mono but it doesn't matter in this case)

As for the cables, I ordered a bunch at TestPath in late January and I'm still waiting very frustrating And they don't get back to my mails angry I've ordered many 12' along with 4' and 8' Some 18' chords. I thought most connections would be closer and longer chords might be interfering when stacking many chords.. though so by watching people's videos. I now also have a Sidrax and Coco2 is coming, I would need much longer chords than 18' to cross patching, tho.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1