MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ornament+crime / "ASR"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Author ornament+crime / "ASR"
mxmxmx
as things are getting there now, i figured i branch this off from here -- ... i've tried to be economical with threads, but it maybe got a bit confusing in the end.

anyways, this is about this thing: "ornament + crime":

the silly name (which, the discerning forum reader will know, was unashamedly stolen from Herr Adolf Loos) refers to the fact that a) this started out as some sort of quantizing "ASR" and b) it has a display; the former thing is well known as excelling in the "arabesque" department (ornament), the latter hated by most people around here (crime).

of course, it's nothing like an analog shift register because it's digital (in this context, that's mostly a good thing). the original 'example' firmware is/was doing something ASR-like, at any rate; a pattern generator type thing:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/menschenimhotel/o-c/s-sgARJ[/s]

**************** update ******************

in the meantime, a few things happened. most notably, pld and bennelong.bicyclist have vastly improved on, and expanded the original firmware, so the original ASR functionality is just one of several "apps" now.

see here for details. and here: https://github.com/mxmxmx/O_C

which is also where details re hardware etc can be found.

in brief:

- teensy 3.1 / 3.2 dev board (Freescale MK20DX256 / 32-bit ARM Cortex M4).
- 4x precision CV outputs, 16-bit (DAC8565), output range: -3v / +6v, 'in-the-loop' compensated, for best DC accuracy.
- 4x CV inputs, -3.5v / +6.5v, 12bit, 100k input impedance.
- 4x trigger/gate inputs, threshold ~ 2.5v, 100k input impedance.
- two rotary encoders, with built-in push switches.
- two push buttons.
- 128x64 1.3" OLED display.
- trigger-to-quantized-output latency < 100us
- 16.6kHz internal timer / CPU overclocked (120MHz) *
- ca. 85mA (@ 12V)

* 16.6kHz = DAC update rate; the ADCs are also read at 16.6kHz but 16 values are averaged to remove noise, meaning that the effective sample rate for CV inputs is about 1 kHz.

any questions, please ask.
ezehagar
Great layout.
I'm tired of cramped modules.
Going to check out those links
Neutron7
This is very cool. Does the display use the same SPI bus as the DACs?
mxmxmx
Neutron7 wrote:
Does the display use the same SPI bus as the DACs?

in this case, yes. it's meant to do pitch CV, so there won't be going on much in terms of SPI, most of the time. i probably wouldn't do this for LFO type things and the like; for the wav player i've used a second mcu (not a selling point, it turns out); also i think people have managed to get OLEDs going via SPI/DMA and/or the second SPI port.
sammy123
Are there pcbs and panels still available or even a panel file? I know this isn't an order thread but I'm interested.
Neutron7
There is a panel file in the github, not sure about the pcb though.
sammy123
Great. Thank you sir.
mxmxmx
yep, there's just the panel file. i had a bunch of pcbs made recently but they're all gone or promised.

not sure about doing another run. i'm beginning to think the time isn't quite ready yet for SMD; or people comfortable with it don't need me to draw up pcbs. i guess i'll just post the gerbers when i'm done with writing up the build doc; the boards under 100mm so there'll be cheap options to have them made.
sammy123
Thank you. I took our conversation to PM. If boards don't become available gerber files would be cool.
mxmxmx
someone asked whether this could be turned into a quad quantizer. i figured that might be of more general interest, so ...

the answer, i think, is:
no, it won't really work for continuous quantization. yes, provided this means "four sample-and-hold units" ( = 4 digital inputs/interrupts; 4 CV in; 4 CV out). it'll be a bit more demanding on the teensy, but not much. quantizing a note happens reasonably fast (~ 2 us), writing to (all) the 4 DACs another 10us or so; less time (correspondingly) when just writing to a single channel. add to that the latency from interrupt to function call (not much either), so all that will happen reasonably fast.
mxmxmx
sammy123 wrote:
If boards don't become available gerber files would be cool.

fyi / here's a little update:

1. build guide more or less getting there:

https://github.com/mxmxmx/O_C/wiki/hardware-basics

2. some minor updates to the code (added loop + hold)

3. put up the gerbers. those have a somewhat simplified output stage (using four op amps, not eight, as before) and use a different regulator (SOT-223 not TO-220), otherwise they're identical. i'll add the changes to the/a BOM shortly. i also have a few more boards, in case anyone...
Altitude909
Did you pull the gerbers?
mxmxmx
Altitude909 wrote:
Did you pull the gerbers?

hi

yep, i didn't get round to updating the github stuff (build docs, calibration procedure, etc) for this last version, so i figured better not to have them there. they work, but i'd like to figure out 1-2 little things before making those public. if/when i get back to this, i'll re-post them.
mxmxmx
fyi

after having put this on the backburner for a little while i now have a couple of rev 1 ornament+crime pcbs ready to go. i didn't keep a proper list of people who had been inquiring, so ... maybe you see this.

... it looks still the same. rev 1 differences are minimal, mainly :

- cleaned up any silkscreen errors
- got rid of the ugly 7805 (using LM1117 instead).
- further simplified the output stage/removed superfluous offset trimmer: the output range is now fixed to - 3.5v to 6.0v ; it's basically similar to MI Yarns now, but with trimmers.
- there's two mounting holes etc in case someone doesn't like eurorack

i'll update the github/BOM stuff shortly, but it'll look much the same except for a few passives and the op amps.
sammy123
I'll take a pcb.
Altitude909
in for one
mxmxmx
@sammy123, Altitude909 -- pm'd you both.

i should have mentioned, it occurs to me, that the pcbs are 8 euro; shipping is 2.

this btw is how it looks underneath, not a great many parts involved:

sixty_n
I'd be up for a board
bennelong.bicyclist
mxmxmx wrote:
@sammy123, Altitude909 -- pm'd you both.

i should have mentioned, it occurs to me, that the pcbs are 8 euro; shipping is 2.

this btw is how it looks underneath, not a great many parts involved:

I'm finally about to start building mine. Would it be possible to post a high resolution copy of that photo, or a similar photo taken square-on, somewhere, for reference?
mxmxmx
edit: pcbs are gone.
mxmxmx
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:

I'm finally about to start building mine. Would it be possible to post a high resolution copy of that photo, or a similar photo taken square-on, somewhere, for reference?

there's a high-res one on github now ... also updated some other stuff, in particular:

basic customization (adding scales)

calibration

here's a little random recording from a 6 hrs stress test the other day, driving two oscs (dixie, e340); and doing the classic/somewhat baroque ASR thing:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/menschenimhotel/o-c/s-sgARJ[/s]
bennelong.bicyclist
mxmxmx wrote:
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:

there's a high-res one on github now ... also updated some other stuff, in particular:

basic customization (adding scales)

calibration

Fab, many thanks for the documentation updates. Latest PCB has arrived here in a slightly chilly Sydney from Berlin - I can finally start to build this thing!
LektroiD
Wow! Awesome little module! Will this be available with a panel?
mxmxmx
LektroiD wrote:
Wow! Awesome little module! Will this be available with a panel?

pcbs yes, panels no. (i haven't really looked into it i must admit, but i'd suspect it would be a little too pricey given the quantities involved. fwiw, there's a/the .fpd file on github.)
bennelong.bicyclist
Ornament + Crime (of the Century). It works! And it is calibrated! (I'll do the calibration again for all the channels, but it is close enough for now, about +/- 1mV across the range, which is close to the resolution of my multimeter anyway).

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Page 1 of 13