MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

USAMO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28, 29, 30  Next [all]
Author USAMO
duarte
os wrote:
Do you have SPP (Song Position Pointer) enabled?

No i don't.

Only clock omni
os
Does the USAMO's message history window actually say it's sending a Continue? It should only send Continues if SPP is enabled.
duarte
os wrote:
Does the USAMO's message history window actually say it's sending a Continue? It should only send Continues if SPP is enabled.

No it doesn't. It say stop and when i start the logic it say start. But i deduced that the plugin don't send a start because it continue in cirklon or in mfb. (only when the plugin is minimized, if it is open this problem don't occur.
duarte
duarte wrote:
os wrote:

No it doesn't. It say stop and when i start the logic it say start. But i deduced that the plugin don't send a start because it continue in cirklon or in mfb. (only when the plugin is minimized, if it is open this problem don't occur.

In recording mode confused
duarte
os wrote:

I connected the usamo midi out to my soundcard midi in and use the midi monitor software to see what was going on.

You are right there is no continue message. The problem is with the stop message. There is no stop message when the plugin is closed. See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyvVWdTSO7I&feature=youtu.be
os
That makes more sense - Logic likes to turn plug-ins off a little too aggressively. I'll see if that's fixable.
os
joetrip wrote:
Hi Os, cheers for your reply, I have attached a screen grab ( I hope...)

Finally figured this one out - it's a Retina display thing. I've fixed it for the next release.
os
duarte wrote:
I connected the usamo midi out to my soundcard midi in and use the midi monitor software to see what was going on.

You are right there is no continue message. The problem is with the stop message. There is no stop message when the plugin is closed. See this video:

I've spent some time looking into this. The plug-in is definitely sending a stop message, but Logic is swallowing it if the UI is closed. I don't think I can fix it, or at least no way of fixing it has yet come to mind. I would consider this a bug in Logic, though I know that doesn't help much. At least you have the workaround, which is to keep the UI open.
duarte
os wrote:
duarte wrote:

I've spent some time looking into this. The plug-in is definitely sending a stop message, but Logic is swallowing it if the UI is closed. I don't think I can fix it, or at least no way of fixing it has yet come to mind. I would consider this a bug in Logic, though I know that doesn't help much. At least you have the workaround, which is to keep the UI open.

Dead Banana

oh.... thank you for the efforts.
Yes i already use it open but a little hidden. hihi

I hope you find a great idea to solve the issue. screaming goo yo screaming goo yo [/img]
os
USAMO plug-in v1.0.8 is now released.

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/index_files/usamo-1-0-8-released.php

Quote:
Changes in this version:
• Fixed UI behaviour in multiple monitor setups with a mix of Retina and non-Retina displays.
• Fixed the rendering of the message history windows on Retina displays.
• Added the ‘Delay Start/Stop’ buttons (for compatibility with Live’s External Audio Effect).
LifeInTheUltraviolet
USAMO!
dispatched
Hi there

Just ordered an USAMO and looking forward to the perfect sync . . .

Will be using it mostly in Logic X together with a TC Electronic Studio 48 to drive Elektrons Machinedrum and Rytm.

I'd also like to try it out with some regular outboard synths. Do people find the USAMO much of an improvement over a regular computer MIDI out for 'ordinary' sequencing?

I know it's not really recommended, but is anyone using the the USAMO with a Kenton MIDI Thru 5 box to split the MIDI out to several different hardware boxes?

I already have one of these boxes so will try it out anyway (it supposedly adds less than a microsecond of latency and has an 'opto-isolated MIDI In' and 'separate drive for each MIDI Out' . . . quoting the manual).

Anyway, will report back on how it all works out.
owensands
noob question about the midi jitter introduced from computers. Is it the DAW or the midi interface or both?

Would a PCI midi interface be better then USB? I have PCI RME midi interfaces with hammerfall AIO and MADI. Would I see much of a difference using something like a USAMO?

Also is it bad to daisy chain devices for midi clock?
os
Quote:
Is it the DAW or the midi interface or both?

Could be either. More likely to be the interface.

Quote:
Would a PCI midi interface be better then USB?

Possibly.

Quote:
Would I see much of a difference using something like a USAMO?

If your MIDI timing has issues, then yes. If it's already perfect, no.

Quote:

In general that should be fine, using MIDI Thru. Any device that actually processes the MIDI is suspect unless tested and shown to not introduce timing issues.
owensands
os wrote:
Quote:
Is it the DAW or the midi interface or both?

Could be either. More likely to be the interface.

Quote:
Would a PCI midi interface be better then USB?

Possibly.

Quote:
Would I see much of a difference using something like a USAMO?

If your MIDI timing has issues, then yes. If it's already perfect, no.

Quote:

In general that should be fine, using MIDI Thru. Any device that actually processes the MIDI is suspect unless tested and shown to not introduce timing issues.

well I mean I have minor jitter but hard to tell if its from DAW or devices or interface.
Vov'oov
just got my USAMO working

Observations are as follows

--my setup - macbook pro + ableton live 9.2.3 + focusrite saffire pro 24 + Octatrack

-VST version of USAMO software plugin does not spit out a stable sync. but this may have been me having issues with the swing level. see below.

-AU version of USAMO plugin seemedto work better....but...

-swing level MUST be set to 50 or higher or else my octratrck does not sync correctly (it even starts playing out of sync with itself ...weird...) internal clock even gets messed up and the timing is shaky - even once i have swiched back to internal sync .. fixed on re-start ..

-if swing is set to lower than 50 and offset is set to anything other than 0.0 USAMO will 'dip' tempo slightly at the start and octa's sync is as I said
very..bad

-if swing is set to 50 and offset is at 0.00 the Sync is stable with no dips at start or anything

-if the swing is set to 50 and offset is set 3.00 the sync is audibly perfect with Ableton and the octatack gloriously riding the same horse at the same tempo out into the paddock together! yay!!!

So basically yea it works. Thanks Expert Sleepers.

P.S first post of the Muff !
Vov'oov
Correction.

-the VST version works FINE . that was just me having trouble with the swing levels affecting the sync

-Im still getting a slight dip in tempo halfway though the first bar, no matter the settings of the offset. It only happens once after the inital start message is sent. Think I saw a post about this behaviour someplace maybe even on this thread.

Apart from that all working fine ! nanners
davros303
Hi OS,

I'm using Live, and I'm trying to send more than 1 channel of midi out to multiple synths to have them playing different sequences but sync'd in real time. How would I achieve this? At the moment, I can only get the Usamo to send the same midi clip information out to multiple synths, but not separate midi clips on separate channels at the same time.

Cheers,
Davros
os
The plug-in would need to be in Omni mode. Then make separate MIDI tracks all routed directly into the plug-in (not the track), on different MIDIi channels.
deltasleep
Can anyone recommend a US power supply for the USAMO?

EDIT: Sorry, did some more research and it looks like there's a pseudo-standard 9V adapter for stompboxes, and this conforms to that standard. The Behringer PSU-SB fits the spec.
owensands
So i'm confused. I am trying to send midi note on and offs from bitwig and all i'm doing is adding the plugin to an instrument track and setting in to omni and out to whatever channel my synth is on. Great that works great and the synth plays fine with minimal jitter. But this replaces what I used to do with the hardware instrument plugin which had a latency adjustment on it so I can get my monitoring of the synth in time with other things I might be playing in the DAW. Am I missing something here? How come there is no latency adjustment on the USAMO plugin that I can find? Its recording a 256th note late as well off the grid. I know it has a control to offset clock but what about midi notes? Thanks in advance!

edit::
I think I managed to get it working putting a bitwig hardware FX plugin after it like some had suggested with live. You'd think the usamo vst would have this though(latency adjust for midi notes). Maybe I am missing something obvious though.

Also is there a way to make bitwig wait to start if usamo is waiting a bar when the clock offset is positive? Bitwig starts and a bar later the clock goes. In bitwig I can preroll a recording but if i'm just playing the transport it doesn't seem to have a preroll feature. I guess I can pick somewhere on the arrangement that is right before the next bar to start it when previewing.

Clock is extremely solid though. Excellent stuff! Thanks!
dispatched
Had a chance to test the USAMO on the weekend. Plugged it in and ran the test (AU plugin in Logic Pro X) – everything worked perfectly right off the bat (using a TC Electronics Studio Konnekt 48 audio interface).

Next test was to use the USAMO clock and transport to control my Machinedrum. I set up a click pattern on the MD and an audio click metronome in Logic, then adjusted the offset in USAMO until the sounded perfectly in sync (Offset: 18).

It really sounded rock solid – yay!

Next, I tried recording some MD into Logic and checking the waveform against the grid. After recording a few bars and zooming into the waveform I noticed two things:

1. The first beat of the first bar was pretty late – no big surprise there. I think others have said that it's better to start with a 1 bar empty pattern.
2. Everything following the first beat was actually slightly early on the grid (but incredibly low jitter – somewhat better than the MD's own internal clock!)

I messed around with the offset until it was recording bang on the grid in Logic (Offset: 5.2).

Perfect . . .

But when I went back to my click pattern, it sounded out of sync with Logic's metronome.

Finally, I noticed that loading plugins into the external instrument channel strip (the one the MD is coming into) makes the MD audio later compared to the ITB audio . . . apparently the latency introduced by the plugins on the ext. instrument channel are not compensated for in the USAMO plugin? But why is that?

So, basically extremely pleased with the timing – first time the MD has ever really sounded locked in tight with Logic. Fantastic!

But need to sort out the latency issues with plugins.
owensands
dispatched wrote:
Had a chance to test the USAMO on the weekend. Plugged it in and ran the test (AU plugin in Logic Pro X) – everything worked perfectly right off the bat (using a TC Electronics Studio Konnekt 48 audio interface).

Next test was to use the USAMO clock and transport to control my Machinedrum. I set up a click pattern on the MD and an audio click metronome in Logic, then adjusted the offset in USAMO until the sounded perfectly in sync (Offset: 18).

It really sounded rock solid – yay!

Next, I tried recording some MD into Logic and checking the waveform against the grid. After recording a few bars and zooming into the waveform I noticed two things:

1. The first beat of the first bar was pretty late – no big surprise there. I think others have said that it's better to start with a 1 bar empty pattern.
2. Everything following the first beat was actually slightly early on the grid (but incredibly low jitter – somewhat better than the MD's own internal clock!)

I messed around with the offset until it was recording bang on the grid in Logic (Offset: 5.2).

Perfect . . .

But when I went back to my click pattern, it sounded out of sync with Logic's metronome.

Finally, I noticed that loading plugins into the external instrument channel strip (the one the MD is coming into) makes the MD audio later compared to the ITB audio . . . apparently the latency introduced by the plugins on the ext. instrument channel are not compensated for in the USAMO plugin? But why is that?

So, basically extremely pleased with the timing – first time the MD has ever really sounded locked in tight with Logic. Fantastic!

But need to sort out the latency issues with plugins.

Bitwig has recording latency offset. Maybe logic does too. So you set the offset for monitoring against the metronome but you also need a recording offset. Then both are bang on.
dispatched
Quote:
Bitwig has recording latency offset. Maybe logic does too. So you set the offset for monitoring against the metronome but you also need a recording offset. Then both are bang on.

Thanks for that – yes, Logic does indeed have a recording offset and I've never set it up . . . just been reading more extensively about how to do that properly.

Gearslutz link

Looking forward to getting this setup right at last.
owensands
So i've had this for a couple weeks now and I think the clock is nice and solid. I'm using an offset of about 8.37(so hardware monitoring is in time with stuff playing in the DAW) and was wondering if there is anyway to not have usamo wait a bar when I hit play in bitwig. With a positive offset it seems usamo needs to wait a bar to start playback. When recording bitwig has a bar preroll and then the DAW and usamo starts on time but in just normal monitoring playback it starts a bar late because I cant preroll normal playback. I noticed the usamo isn't reporting any latency to the DAW when the offset is changed. If it reported latency to the DAW(fake latency just to make bitwig start later) would the usamo possibly start the same time as the DAW? This is my only gripe with this box really. Any ideas about this Os? I will also check live to see how its handed there. Maybe its a bitwig thing.

edit:: Live acts the same way and its even worse as the preroll for recording doesn't give a start to Usamo like in bitwig.

I guess I can work around this but it would be cool if there could be some solution in the future. How is that live can do an offset to midi clock and everything still starts on the 1? They must have more programming leverage to actually start the clock before the daw transport starts. Probably harder to code this being just a VST right?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28, 29, 30  Next [all]
Page 16 of 30