MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

USAMO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author USAMO
ianross
I think my first mistake was trying to use the midi thru to run the USAMO test rather than just plugging the out of the USAMO into my midi interface.

Theoretically it shouldn't matter as the MI Yarns states the midi thru sends "unprocessed" midi directly thru. With that said, using the midi thru on Yarns yields terrible test results in USAMO no matter what.

Running direct, I still get a 5-10 errors every minute. I haven't tried trimming at 1.0 yet, but I will next week.

Regardless of the errors, and the very strange midi-thru, yarns seems to be responding fine.

Any idea why a midi thru would cause different test results in usamo?

os wrote:
Quote:
I'm currently running the USAMO output at .85 to avoid clipping out of Ableton

Don't do that. Leave it at 1.0. Live might show clipping but ignore it - the plug-in output isn't real audio, so it confuses the meters.

I'm surprised you need to use Space. In terms of the impact, it's just spreading each MIDI message out a bit. The timing of the start of the message is still accurate.
os
No. That seems very odd.
markjamesriver
My Usamo has worked flawlessly since I bought it about a year ago. However it just started acting up. I ran the test mode again and it comes up all errors no matter what trim settings I use. I first noticed something wrong because midi notes were sticking or not behaving properly. Also there sometimes is just a constant stream of CC info spitting out even with the transport stopped? Is there a new version of the plugin out since last year? That may be the problem. I am using a ZED R16 interface.
os
I would say it's most likely that some setting has changed in your audio software or interface setup, which is having an effect on the USAMO.

Quote:
sometimes is just a constant stream of CC info spitting out even with the transport stopped

From the USAMO, or do you see this in the plug-in too?

Current plug-ins are at http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads.html
markjamesriver
Ok after some troubleshooting I found the culprit. It was my midisport interface channel acting up sending constant start messages and usamo was picking those up. Nothing at all wrong with usamo. Everything works now.
northerntao
After a little fiddling, I was able to get my Usamo working with a Behringer X18 mixer. Using with Ableton 9.7 on Windows 10 64-bit at 48k. The trick is to route one of the USB inputs to an Aux bus in the Advanced/Routing section on the X18.

I have the Trim set to 12 oclock on the Usamo and default levels in Ableton. I'm using the driver compensation in Preferences rather than as an external effect in Ableton to deal with latency.

Using it to send MIDI clock and transport to my Cirklon - so far so good.
newkid
davros303 wrote:
dante wrote:
hallo os,

is USAMO supposed to work with maschine2?
i mean without hosting maschine in ableton_live.

danke+gruß d.

Yes, Maschine can receive midi clock so you can run in standalone mode and connect the usamo to the midi in.

Has anyone been able to get the Usamo plugin working with Maschine 2.x on a Mac?

In Logic the plugin sends and receives data as it should. In Maschine no data is send or received by the plugin. What could be the cause for that behavior under Maschine?
brainsickbeats
Hello Os! USAMO has been working great keeping all my external hardware locked to my DAW. However, I've noticed some skipping and stuttering when sending large amounts of midi data at once. I'm using the USAMO as my sole MIDI interface for about a dozen hardware synths. When sending a large amount of data - for instance on a downbeat with layered chords, drums, leads, etc all hitting on the same beat, sometimes the midi will skip. Is it not recommended to use many channels simultaneously? Should I perhaps add an additional USAMO to my setup?

Thanks!
os
It should cope with that. However, as you probably chose to use a USAMO for its timing benefits, you definitely don't want to be sending lots of channels down the same output. Just because of how MIDI works, the timing will degrade the more simultaneous channels you use.

Ideally you want a dedicated output per hardware synth.
brainsickbeats
os wrote:

Ideally you want a dedicated output per hardware synth.

Geez then what are all these Midi Thru's for?! hihi That's gonna be a lot of USAMOs in my setup! Do you sell them by the dozen lol?! Mr. Green
os
I sell them by the 8: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/esx8md.html
Gerrastone
Hi guys. Apologies if this question has already been answered - I'm looking to use USAMO to sync Elektron Machinedrum via an Onyx 1640i. Has anyone used the onyx for this, and if so which output did you use to send to USAMO?

Thanks
os
User @goldplate above mentions the Onyx.
Bath House
Just ordered an USAMO today. It's going up against an MC-4 and an Atari ST so let's see how it stacks up. smile

Q: what power supply do you guys recommend? Will this do?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00191WVF6/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc= 1
b3nsf
Ive been using my USAMO constantly since I got it... it's a great unit... but I can't help but wonder, since the other way of getting midi out is the ES line of modules, which can do jitter-free midi and they can also do DIN sync..... could the USAMO also spit out DIN sync? maybe it just a software update could include that? Thanks Os..... Also I think a 4 channel version would be great idea.
os
@Bath House yes that would do fine.

@b3nsf The USAMO isn't physically wired for DIN sync. It would have to be a hardware upgrade smile
b3nsf
Os, thanks for the answer... I guess I can use my doepfer MSY2 connected to the USAMO and it would still be sample accurate timing, just with some delay that I can offset in the computer
Bath House
Got it up and running tonight with Ableton running the AU through a Mackie 1640i. Surprisingly difficult to get it dialed in for zero errors when testing sending clock only - it really came down to near-microscopic adjustments to the trim knob. I'm worried about the knob getting bumped at any point - that "walking on eggshells" aspect may be a deal breaker for me. Once I got it dialed in to all green, I switched its output over to a Korg KMS30 driving an MC-4, TR-606, MC-202, TR-8, SP-1200 simultaneously and everything seemed locked in!

Now that it's solid, what's the best method for aligning it to the grid in Ableton?
os
Quote:
it really came down to near-microscopic adjustments to the trim knob

Where is the knob, roughly? It might be possible to adjust the output of the plug-in/interface so that the knob can work in a more forgiving part of its range.
Bath House
I redid it tonight and boosted up until the clipping light was regularly lighting with activity and that made the knob way less touchy. Solid now!
Shrigg
os wrote:
I sell them by the 8: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/esx8md.html

So what's the best way to power it and get audio into an ESX-8MD for us non modular users?
os
Buy a small modular case.

The 8MD needs to connect to either
- an ES-40, or
- an ES-5, which in turn is driven from an ES-3 or an ES-8.
brainsickbeats
os wrote:
Buy a small modular case.

The 8MD needs to connect to either
- an ES-40, or
- an ES-5, which in turn is driven from an ES-3 or an ES-8.

I'm currently looking into a:
    DOEPFER A-100 BEAUTY MINI CASE

ES-40 SPDIF Interface - 6HP

ESX-8MD MIDI & DINsync Expansion - 10HP
This should do the trick, right?

It will also leave me room for expansion since the ES-40 has 5 expansion headers. Is it possible to add more 8MDs? Could I really get up to 40 MIDI outputs if necessary?!
os
Quote:
This should do the trick, right?

Yes - you can see exactly that setup here: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/esx8md.html

Quote:
Could I really get up to 40 MIDI outputs if necessary?!

Yes.
del159
i got my usamo in the mail yesterday. downloaded the software and went to load the vst... it then crashed reaper ??? tried it in renoise and the same thing happened...

i am using an older pc. windows xp with pentium 4. never had an issues before so it seams a bit odd ?

i have attached an image of the "error" from both daws. any and all info is appreciated

thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 20 of 31