MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

USAMO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Author USAMO
Djehuti
New USAMO from Expert Sleepers

The Expert Sleepers USAMO (Universal Sample-Accurate MIDI Output) generates a sample-accurate, jitter-free MIDI output from an audio input.
The audio signal is generated by the USAMO software, a plug-in which runs as a virtual instrument (AU/VST/AAX, Mac & Windows) in your DAW. The DAW sends MIDI to the plug-in; the plug-in translates that to audio and sends it to the USAMO hardware, via an output on your computer's audio interface. The USAMO then reconstructs the MIDI and outputs it on a standard 5 pin DIN MIDI socket.

The USAMO software also generates MIDI clock, Song Position Pointer etc.

Beacuse the MIDI signals are generated and transported as audio, they are guaranteed to be sample-accurately synced with your audio, and free of the jitter often associated with computer-generated MIDI.

The USAMO uses the same technology previously available from Expert Sleepers Silent Way and the ESX-8MD module, but now in a standalone box, and from an analogue audio connection (the ESX-8MD requires a Eurorack housing and a digital audio connection).

Looks nifty os!
thumbs up
bil_g
Yes, great to see you pursuing this, os! This could be big....huge, even.

In my head, I already have questions(in a good way hihi ) about the future possibilities of this but it's just too early, I think, to get into all of that. I think I'll just sit back and watch the os-someness unfold... we're not worthy

Very exciting!
phutureboy
Djehuti wrote:
The USAMO uses the same technology previously available from Expert Sleepers Silent Way and the ESX-8MD module, but now in a standalone box, and from an analogue audio connection (the ESX-8MD requires a Eurorack housing and a digital audio connection).

Could that mean that the latency is even shorter than with the ESX-8MD path ?
os
Marginally, I guess.
buzzlegs
Brilliant!.. instant buy from me, great job!
bil_g
os wrote:
Marginally, I guess.

From what I understand of the USAMO and my experience with the modules, it seems a nice advantage is that the USAMO uses your own interface's DA(like the ES-1). My ES-3 and ES-4 are a little ahead of my Fireface outputs. Only 25 samples for the ES-4 and 10 samples for my ES-3s. A very minor thing but one less thing for a new user to think about.

And I hope you don't mind but....
SWAN808
really great news. How much can you gt out of that one port - is it intended for a single device only - polyphony - and clock etc at the same time?
CF3
I'm pretty excited about this. So many times I've come close to buying either an Innerclock SyncGen or SND ACME-4, but couldn't bring myself to shell out so much money for something so simple. Plus I only need one MIDI out from my DAW into the Cirklon (the ACME and SyncGen are overkill). This looks perfect. applause
os
SWAN808 wrote:
really great news. How much can you gt out of that one port - is it intended for a single device only - polyphony - and clock etc at the same time?

It's a MIDI port - you can send whatever you would be able to send down any other MIDI port. However, if tight timing is your concern, you need to minimise what you send at once, same as for any MIDI port. If you want clock, and use the same port for anything else, you risk disturbing the clock.
stainers
I don't really get why there's only 1 port. Is it because there's only so much you can send down the audio cable at once, or is it just to save cost and assuming that people will use a splitter or thru etc.?

btw: the Expert Sleepers site seems to be down atm
os
If you need more ports you just buy more USAMOs.

A splitter or thru box would not be a good idea. If you want tight timing, you need a dedicated port per device.

If you want lots of ports, the ESX-8MD is probably more cost effective.
SWAN808
so the key is - how much? smile

In terms of multi out - Im still a bit baffled by which modules Id need in eurorack to do a spdif to midi in a euro jewel case...has anyone tallied up the cost?
Bryan B
Finally some MIDI clock I can get behind! Thank you for tackling this age-old problem.
nrvana8775
Sorry if this should be obvious, but is it full midi spec'd like the 8md, or is it just clock?
os
Full MIDI.
nrvana8775
19" 8 output rack, plzzzz smile
fragletrollet
nrvana8775 wrote:
19" 8 output rack, plzzzz smile

Yup. 3 different versions: analog over DB25, ADAT or AES/ebu. All connectors on the back, lights and trim-pots ant the front.

Any chance to have a look at the software interface?
StepLogik
Will you guys be publishing a spec/protocol for the wave data the USAMO needs in order to output given MiDI data bytes? One potential use for this could be to enable MIDI in the web browser via the Web Audio Api - bypassing the crap MIDI subsystem and subsequent USB interfaces required for modern operating systems. 1-way only, but I could see some useful applications.

All theoretical, of course, and subject to me totally not having any idea what I'm talking about lol
os
Interesting idea!
StepLogik
Probably the best approach would be to create an adapter/polyfill in javascript that implements relevant parts of the Web Midi Api ( http://webaudio.github.io/web-midi-api/ ). As far as I can tell, the Web Midi Api is DOA, and even if by some miracle some of the browsers started implementing it you still have the same latency & jitter hassles that desktop applications with direct access to the OS's Midi API have.
CF3
Alright os....

When and how much? w00t
os
February, TBD.
CF3
os wrote:
February, TBD.

Nice. Glad it's sooner rather than later. Of all the stuff coming out of NAMM this year, this is something I actually need and will improve my workflow. It's motherfucking bacon yo
os
Here's me talking to Sonic State about the USAMO at NAMM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Haw00YTSEE
flo
When I've seen this the first time, I've assumed it's another "take" on the Innerclock. (AFAIK they were the first to do it.) Would also be a logical step since you can already do it with Silent Way plus Expert Sleepers hardware.

But then I realized... It's full midi. Not only clock like the Innerclock or ACME. Now that rocks hard! SlayerBadger! And I really wonder how you managed to do that (obviously you won't tell us). Very nice.

I got rid of DAW based midi sequencing when I got my Innerclock (which I truly love) and just use my hardware midi sequencer (a Zyklus MPS1), clocked by the Innerclock, to distribute midi sequences throughout the studio to my hardwired synths with midi. That was the only solution to get everything tightly together with Ableton as master clock, and including midi sequencing (so not only clock). But now I must say I could see me adding one of these for the convenience of the DAW piano roll. I have a midi patchbay anyways to route everything around and I have enough inputs left on that... So integration would be easy (would have to free audio outputs though)...

Long story short, subscribing to the thread and curious about how it all will turn out!

Cheers! SlayerBadger! Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Page 1 of 23