MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

elite modular case / rugged / flight
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author elite modular case / rugged / flight
gonya
any word on a 12u flight case?
___tomk
interested here too...
dillajay
Received my 208 from Oliver this week! Beautiful case and quick shipping to Australia! Would highly recommend!
fourhexagons
The handles that Oliver uses on these cases are pretty amazing. Does anybody know where to source replacements/extras?
fourhexagons
Well folks, check it out:

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/collections/recent-arrivals/products/elite-por table-12u

Apparently this arrived at Control without any announcement. No confirmation yet as to whether Mr Dodd plans on releasing the conversion top as a separate piece, or if we'll all just have to sell our 208's and buy this 12U.

It would be a good business move to have the conversion top be its own product as I would suspect that many of us with 208's would want to just buy a conversion top and end up with this case. Seeing that the price is $1250 and that a 208 is $750, I would suspect that a conversion top would cost just over $500, taking into account that the 208 includes the lid.
tebs213
fourhexagons wrote:
Well folks, check it out:

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/collections/recent-arrivals/products/elite-por table-12u

Apparently this arrived at Control without any announcement. No confirmation yet as to whether Mr Dodd plans on releasing the conversion top as a separate piece, or if we'll all just have to sell our 208's and buy this 12U.

It would be a good business move to have the conversion top be its own product as I would suspect that many of us with 208's would want to just buy a conversion top and end up with this case. Seeing that the price is $1250 and that a 208 is $750, I would suspect that a conversion top would cost just over $500, taking into account that the 208 includes the lid.

Man I hope they are still putting out the seperate top! That was part of why I bought the Elite in the first place.
drowld
Would love to know about the handles and parts.
Doing something similar diy would be noice
bc3
drowld wrote:
Would love to know about the handles and parts.
Doing something similar diy would be noice

Sourced the handles a while back during a DIY build myself and am pretty sure these are the same handles used on the "Elite" cases.

https://ohiotravelbag.com/products/item/bc47b678-42c9-48ac-b5b0-e31404 a0cfe8/L-2832

Corners, latches and hinges can be sourced from here:

http://www.reliablehardware.com/

or

https://www.parts-express.com/

Actually just finished a new case build last night and will post a few pics soon. I skipped using tolex this time and tried a coating called Duratex that is marketed as a speaker cabinet coating. Looks pretty good and seems like it will hold up well.

http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

Looks like Elite is using some kind of heavy duty "Black Ballistic Super Rugged Coating" but I'm not planning on taking my case into a war zone anytime soon so I should be fine I think. cool
drowld
[quote="bc3"]
drowld wrote:
Looks like Elite is using some kind of heavy duty "Black Ballistic Super Rugged Coating" but I'm not planning on taking my case into a war zone anytime soon so I should be fine I think. cool

Thx for the infos. They do a lovely work on the case it's truly inspiring.
If i wasnt that broke.

I think the idea of putting some balistic coating between the tolex and the wood is nice.
Wouldnt aluminium be lighter ?
5mm thick aluminium with coating and tolex would be nice too. But lighter ?
we're not worthy
bc3
[quote="drowld"]
bc3 wrote:
drowld wrote:

Thx for the infos. They do a lovely work on the case it's truly inspiring.
If i wasnt that broke.

I think the idea of putting some balistic coating between the tolex and the wood is nice.
Wouldnt aluminium be lighter ?
5mm thick aluminium with coating and tolex would be nice too. But lighter ?
we're not worthy

Yes, Elite makes a great looking case but with a little DIY effort and resourcing you could build something pretty close to what they are selling for much less $$.
The protective coating just goes right on top of the baltic birch I used for my case. No need IMO to do anymore than that. Best of luck if you decide to take on the build!
Ranstedt
Any info on the 12U detachable case Richard was showing in the above youtube video?

Would be cool if there was a little built in stand or legs in one of the 6U sections allowing the user to use it in a laptop orientation and not just two 6U's side by side. Now that would be very versatile. thumbs up
Epignosis567
Any word on this? 12U portable cases are becoming mythological in the euro world even while the market itself is expanding hmmm.....
josephbranciforte
yeah, that 12u looks really great for gigging with a larger rig. anyone have one yet?
Epignosis567
help
Epignosis567
I think this is a hoax. I can't find any information on it anywhere other than control. I think maybe it's an old prototype that never came to fruition.
tebs213
Any word on the 12u? Was really hoping for one...
Hallmar
Epignosis567 wrote:
I think this is a hoax. I can't find any information on it anywhere other than control. I think maybe it's an old prototype that never came to fruition.

Nope, not a hoax. I contacted Elite Modular directly. Got it 6 weeks ago.
I had to pressure Oliver alot but i got through in the end!

Great case, very high build quality. Couldn't be happier.
Not sure why they don't post it on their website and start to take orders, there's obviously a demand for 12U flight cases.

Edit: Here's the specs that Oliver sent to me at the time.

Quote:

Hi Hallmar,

Here is the official specs for the 12U:

Elite - E416 Portable - 12U / 104hp
- Portable Eurorack Modular Flight Case
- Light Weight
- Strong Construction using Baltic Birch
- Black Ballistic Super Rugged Coating
- Make Noise Power Bus Board
- Total Power: 2.8A of +12v, 2.8A -12, 2A +5
- Power Each Half: 1.4A of +12v, 1.4A -12, 1A +5
- 40 Euro Connectors for Modules
- 4.3A Switching Power Brick x 2
- Removable Top
- Not Designed to close patch, but may with "Control" Patch Cables
- 20 M2.5 Sliding nuts and Screws per Rail (160 Total)
- Complies with Airline Carry On restrictions
- Exterior Dimensions: 21.5" W x 10.75" H x 9" D
- Space between the two sides (interior when closed) 2"
- Space above the busboard (top 6U) 2"
- Space without the busboard (bottom 6U) 2 9/16” 66mm

I should add that with my current module count i can safely close it patched, but you've got to be careful not to put too much pressure on the jack connectors. Some could give away.

bisquick
how do you tip it up at an angle? or is this not safe?
dysonant
Excellent cases, I've got an Elite Studio 12u and love it, but as I delve deeper into digital modules, I find those Makenoise power supplies a bit lacking.
Hallmar
bisquick wrote:
how do you tip it up at an angle? or is this not safe?

I used to use a guitar stand, now i just have it flat like on the picture.

The hinges are not designed to hold the other half at an angle, it's designed so the top half is removable.
Splinter(UA)
"Light Weight"... why weight exact value is not specified?
Clearance above rails is not specified as well... "May close with "Control" Patch Cables" sounds a bit strange, so there is a definite risk of damaging the jacks of the modules?
There is interesting alternative for Elite 12U on the market - DNGR:TECH 12UFO Case - http://dngr.tech I am using their cases and super happy about them!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/splinter-ua[/s]
Hallmar
Splinter(UA) wrote:
"Light Weight"... why weight exact value is not specified?
Clearance above rails is not specified as well... "May close with "Control" Patch Cables" sounds a bit strange, so there is a definite risk of damaging the jacks of the modules?

http://www.elitemodular.com/e416-portable-12u.html
Here are some more speccs(i think), but i agree on the weight, they should give up the exact weight.

I can close it patched, but i'm a bit sceptic on that, so i try to be extra careful. Try to be sure that i'm not putting any pressure on the jacks and so forth.
EDIT: I use Intellijel jacks, wich are manufactured by Ad Infinitum.
healingproperties
Beautifully made case. Just got one. However, upon first test noticed a lot more noise than I previously experienced with my monorocket case. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?
funkyjunky
healingproperties wrote:
Beautifully made case. Just got one. However, upon first test noticed a lot more noise than I previously experienced with my monorocket case. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

This is due to makenoise power busboard. This is not the quietest power supply on the market. Intellijel and Tip Top Audio power supplies tend to be less noisy. Also, if you want to be sure about it disconnect all modules and try to add one by one starting from an oscillator and add all new modules to your patch and listen to the noise level. Maybe you have one module that is not "compatible" with makenoise powerbus. There is a well-known issue with power supplies and different modules when some modules even may not function properly with this or that power supply. So you'll need to investigate this issue in your system with the methodology I suggested and try to figure out when that noise appears in your system. Good luck with that!
bisquick
I've actually found the 6U MN PBBs from 2015 and newer to be very quiet and stable. Please give specific info if you've found otherwise; you should be able to find the vintage on the board itself. I believe that if you're having issues with noise ("makenoise", get it?), you can contact MN for a replacement board if they can verify the issue.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4