MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

elite modular case / rugged / flight
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author elite modular case / rugged / flight
healingproperties
Thanks for the suggestions funkyjunky & bisquick ...After much testing, I tried the simplest thing and used a different wall outlet. Boom! Problem solved! Super quiet now. Guessing the mysterious noise was on account of the old wiring of my house. Also want to shout out Oliver @ Elite for the email correspondence while I attempted to solve this one.
tebs213
Just saw they finally have the 6u expander top to make a 12u for sale on the website. Ordered and pumped.
Hallmar
tebs213 wrote:
Just saw they finally have the 6u expander top to make a 12u for sale on the website. Ordered and pumped.

That is fucking brilliant!
Well done Elite.
Kujo
Any confirmation whether or not this case would be a good choice for someone who needs to have their patch before going out on the road? I don't use much stackcables or can live without stacking if that is the only compromise.
atrostor
Kujo wrote:
Any confirmation whether or not this case would be a good choice for someone who needs to have their patch before going out on the road? I don't use much stackcables or can live without stacking if that is the only compromise.

Hi, yeah the 6U can be closed with a patch. I am assuming that's the case with the 12U as well.
chasenz
atrostor wrote:
Kujo wrote:

Hi, yeah the 6U can be closed with a patch. I am assuming that's the case with the 12U as well.

Yes sir! Although I don't have one (yet) I've seen them out in the wild with other people having them closed patched. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these myself...
bisquick
12U closing: No, it doesn't close patched with stackables. It also doesn't close patched in general (intellijel or ad infinitum cables, etc), unless you're using the tiny cables that doepfer or control sells (even then, I'm not sure). Sad about that, since I wanted to travel w/ it patched.

12U opening: I was expecting that, at the least, the case would be able to be anchored after opening so that you didn't have to detach the two sides, but that is not the truth. It's super fragile w/r/t bearing a load of weight, and you can hear the hinges cracking the wood when you open it too far, so it's important that you detach the two sides before setting up. there are other cases out there that will allow for this, but they're frequently less 'sexy'. At this point, I favor functionality over looks (duh).

12U + 6U design: If you've owned the 6U and purchase the 12U, it's possible that the case's edges don't line up, due to warping in the wood in production (this was the situation with mine). Over time, the wood comes back into place through me manipulating the rigid box. I think that in general think this can be a factor w/ wooden cases, but I haven't had further issues with it - the wood seems to settle over time.

power board with some cases: When I got the 6U, it came with a noisey MN power board that was obviously untested, and I had to work with MN to get it replaced – that took around a month. It worked fine after that, with the 2015 revision. When I bought the 12U lid it came w/ a newer revision, and I haven't had issues with that one.

All in all, I've been disappointed. I'm sorry to say it because I normally wouldn't speak up about stuff like this, but this tried my patience. And for $1400?
Kujo
Mmm that last post by bisquick got me thinking..

Now its a bit confusing, is the 12U designed to close patched? I dont want to force anything! For the rest of the details I can live with that although im sorry to hear you're disapointed.
cyclopeatron
bisquick wrote:
12U closing: No, it doesn't close patched with stackables. It also doesn't close patched in general (intellijel or ad infinitum cables, etc), unless you're using the tiny cables that doepfer or control sells (even then, I'm not sure). Sad about that, since I wanted to travel w/ it patched.

I was about the pull the trigger on a 12U, but this stopped me.

Does anyone know of other good quality 9-12U cases that close when patched with normal cables?

The Dark Modular cases look great, but they're apparently not being made anymore. The Pittsburgh EP-360 also looks good, but people seem to be having a lot of issues with power supplies and build quality. The Doepfer 3x84hp is a little too small for what I need.

Why is this so hard? Am I asking for too much?
funkyjunky
cyclopeatron wrote:

Does anyone know of other good quality 9-12U cases that close when patched with normal cables?

Why is this so hard? Am I asking for too much?

12UFO by DNGR:TECH can be closed fully patched even with stackables.

https://dngr.tech

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167244&start=all&pos tdays=0&postorder=asc

If you have any questions don't hesitate and drop me a mail on info@dngr.tech

Best of luck!
Nightly Closures
Monorocket 9u closes fine when regular cables are patched. I'm very happy with the case. The only downside is having to add a UZeus to fully power the case even with the updated PSU.
brownacid
cyclopeatron
Keep an eye out for the new Elite 12u case. They most def will allow stackables and bigger patch cables.

Check them out here. It's the same one that Richard Devine has been using for a while.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPiVTOrAq3t/
jesselucas
Just received the expander to make a 12u. Anyone have tips on how to keep the expander connected and vertical? The photos show it open like this but mine doesn't want to stay connected.
bisquick
jesselucas wrote:
Just received the expander to make a 12u. Anyone have tips on how to keep the expander connected and vertical? The photos show it open like this but mine doesn't want to stay connected.

Yeah, that's another thing.

No tips to keep it connected - it was designed this way.
If you want a case that connects, I would recommend a second hand gorilla box or possibly one of the doepfer cases. Those are closer to the standard ATA cases and the gorilla one in particular closes patched.

Those cases are old at this point, and the power boards in them are most likely outdated, but might work just fine. I'd rec looking into whether or not you could get one second hand and purchase your own power board from any number of quality manufacturers.

I will say that the nice thing about the MN power boards is that they work all over the world. Not a trivial feature.
Hallmar
jesselucas wrote:

Get a box of somekind and put it under the upper lid(see pics)
Used that at home for a long time now.

I've never had problems with the hinges making the wood crack.
And i've solved the 'not being able to close patched' problem with angled patch cables in the upper lid(they're on the way from USA). Although that's no 'excuse' for it not being able to close patched.

Maybe i'm in denial in regards to the pro's and cons. There's DNGR modular and MDLR cases that can close patched, but when i bought this case i was not aware(or they weren't available) of them so i gotta stick with this case. And sometimes that means compromising and finding solutions.

As far as build quality goes for my case, it's great and has been great for the past 8 months, extensive gigging and harrasment. Can't see one scratch on it.

sexslut
tebs213 wrote:

How do you like it? I have the 6u case right now, and am considering the expansion top. I was a little worried about how well they would fit together when buying them separately. Have you had any issues?

Has anybody else boughten the expansion top separately? What are your thoughts?

Edit: Ah, I just saw your follow up. Thanks! (I read the whole thread to see if it was mentioned, and stopped right before the end! d'oh!)
JakoGreyshire
I'm thinking of getting the 416 expansion top..... despite the other comments of it not closing all the way while patched, It looks like it will close if only one side is patched and/or at each cabled patch point there wasn't any cable on the exact opposite space of that cable when the case is closed.... Like if you had a mother32 in there, then all that space where the mother32s' knobs are could be sapce for the cables from the other case side. Savvy?

Anyway, I was wondering a few things...

Where are the angled cables available for purchase? I'm assuming that they would be 90 degree angled? Anyone got any good recommendations for angled cables?

If the MN power supply has 20 power connectors on it does that mean you can only put 20 modules in it? Or can you daisy chain modules off one power connector as long as you don't exceed the power available of the entire power supply and still have some headroom voltage left over?... What is it, like 10% headroom or something like that? 20%? (It's not good to max out the power supply but some people have been known to do just that.)

It would be nice to see a video of someone closing a fully patched 12U Elite case...

I might be able to live with just patching half of the 12U case and labeling the un-patched cables so when I get to the show and set up I'd just patch the cables into the opposite side and go from there... What? Takes an extra 3 minutes of setup to do that? I'd maybe already have some patch notes to work off of anyway if I had a long set to do... Angled cables might get in the way of something else on the module as well..

hmmm.....
JakoGreyshire
Sheesh... I just saw this.... instead of the 416 expansion, for ten bucks more I could get...MN 7U shared Bus case...

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/make-noise-7u-steel-cv-bus-case-pre- order

If I'm not flying around with it then I could just take two cases out into the wild.
XAXAU
Has anyone figured out what coating these cases use? I’d love to coat my DIY stuff with it. Looks like glittery asphalt! smile
JakoGreyshire
Funny that this thread just popped up again.. I just received my 416 expansion top today!! I'm looking at it getting ready to install my modules in it.... I'll see if Oliver will tell me over email what the coating is..
Antlerface
My 14U closes just fine when fully patched, have brought it all patched up to the studio a few times as such. The cables in the cv bus (one in each 1U rail) ‘kiss’ a bit but nothing i would be worried about if I’m not trusting TSA to handle it.

The depth of the lip on the top lid would be detrimental to wigglage if you had some really small (2hp) stuff on the edges. I have a Stages and Drumfuck on the right and a M32/DFAM on the left so I’m not having any issues whatsoever.

Overall I am super happy with the case. Power hasn’t been an issue with my setup either. MN shit seems pretty low draw and w the Moogs taking up all that hp I’ve got about 300ma if available power on each side of the case.

Hinges aren’t an issue, but it doesn’t stand up alone. The MN blue steel stand (or any cradle guitar/bass stand) hold the top lid up super steadily.

I love the thing. Almost as much as all the modlolz it holds.
JakoGreyshire
hihi hihi

Oliver says the coating is called Euro sauce.

hihi hihi
XAXAU
JakoGreyshire wrote:
hihi hihi

Oliver says the coating is called Euro sauce.

hihi hihi

LOL

It looks like Duratex or Warnex which is pretty cheap to coat with but needs some practice.

I also checked out Line-X which is a 2 part polymer that´s sprayed on with high pressure and heating in the nozzles and dries in 5 seconds. Saw videos of coated watermelons being dopped from a 30m height and it just bounced against the pavement. €100 per m2 (= one case) is a bit steep though! grin
dugoutcanoe
Hallmar wrote:
jesselucas wrote:

Get a box of somekind and put it under the upper lid(see pics)
Used that at home for a long time now.

Mine just came in. Not sure what to make of the design. Seems i'll get used to it, but what the fuck?! WHERE IS IT MENTIONED OR INDICATED THAT YOU NEED A GUITAR STAND TO PROP UP THE LID? very frustrating

^WTF for ~$1200 you'd think you'd be made aware of such a detail
PascalLuethi
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if anyone else has a bad experience with elite modular? I've ordered and payed a 6u case directly from http://elitemodular.com about 7 months ago. Oliver does respond to my emails, he's always telling me "we'll ship your case first thing on monday" and things like that, but nothing ever happens. it's going like this for 4 months now and i'm starting to think that i'm getting ripped off...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4