elite modular case / rugged / flight

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

yaongi~
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yaongi~ » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:38 am

Classic junkie talk (or in one case ex-girlfriend talk).

Usually I follow this process
1. Accept the loss, to clear your mind
2. Do what you need to do to get your money back

If someone says they're gonna send it first thing Monday, and you have to chase them, then they say they're gonna send it next Monday, and then they don't, that's the end of it.

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:09 am

FWIW I've never had an issue with Elite Modular, certainly not anything that would take over 4 months to resolve. I bought an E416 last year, and while it took (as far as I recall) a couple of weeks for them to put it together and get the power boards in stock or whatever, it wasn't much of an issue. And earlier this year I bought a top for the case so I can also take it out as a 2 row x 104 HP case; that order shipped promptly.

PascalLuethi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PascalLuethi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Thanks for the info s.l.o.w , that's what i was hoping to read.

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:13 am

But 4-7 months is a loooong time; I'd try to get them on the phone and see what's up.

cv
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Case not shipping

Post by cv » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:20 am

PascalLuethi wrote:Hi guys,
I'm wondering if anyone else has a bad experience with elite modular? I've ordered and payed a 6u case directly from http://elitemodular.com about 7 months ago. Oliver does respond to my emails, he's always telling me "we'll ship your case first thing on monday" and things like that, but nothing ever happens. it's going like this for 4 months now and i'm starting to think that i'm getting ripped off...
Sorry for digging up such an old thread. Wondering if anyone else had any issues with them lately?

I've used their cases before (bought second hand off eBay) and I think they're fantastic, so I'm happy to wait a while, but I've been waiting 10 weeks now for my order to ship to the UK and have been getting in touch asking for updates every couple of weeks since the estimated shipping time passed and I'm getting the same type of responses.

First I was told it would ship a week later, two weeks after that they were waiting on bus boards, another two weeks after that they were waiting on hinges (though I was told the case itself was finished and ready), now I'm being told it'll be shipped out in another 2 weeks with no explanation... Like I said I'm happy to wait, but I'm a little suspicious after having read everything on here.

(edit: First post - Hello everyone!)

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:34 pm

and it starts...
cv wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone else has a bad experience with elite modular? I've ordered and payed a 6u case directly from http://elitemodular.com about 7 months ago. Oliver does respond to my emails, he's always telling me "we'll ship your case first thing on monday" and things like that, but nothing ever happens. it's going like this for 4 months now and i'm starting to think that i'm getting ripped off...
Sorry for digging up such an old thread. Wondering if anyone else had any issues with them lately?

I've used their cases before (bought second hand off eBay) and I think they're fantastic, so I'm happy to wait a while, but I've been waiting 10 weeks now for my order to ship to the UK and have been getting in touch asking for updates every couple of weeks since the estimated shipping time passed and I'm getting the same type of responses.

First I was told it would ship a week later, two weeks after that they were waiting on bus boards, another two weeks after that they were waiting on hinges (though I was told the case itself was finished and ready), now I'm being told it'll be shipped out in another 2 weeks with no explanation... Like I said I'm happy to wait, but I'm a little suspicious after having read everything on here.

bro, your not happy to wait or you wouldn't have registered on a forum just to post, its okay you can admit that you shouldn't have to wait 10 weeks for a case made with parts that are readily available at any US hardware store excluding power and maybe rails, both of which you can get from any number of retailers in less then 1 business week.

these things are about 100usd in raw materials then and other 300 in rails and power, and take about 2hours to build, and 2 hours to coats, (ive build cases for various things including modular) and im guessing you paid around a grand for your case?
you shouldn't have to wait 10 weeks. thats retarded.

this prolonged next week shit is classic deception for either personal problems or general mismanagement

ASK FOR TRACKING NUMBER or A REFUND BY THE END OF THE BUSINESS WEEK, AND BUY A CASE FROM ANY OF THE PLETHORA OF OTHER BUILDER WITH CASES ON HAND
Last edited by Severed head on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTB:, MA35 filter. -Mac recordings software from 2008/9
:help:

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:53 pm

double

cv
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cv » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Yep, you’re absolutely right, and I do plan to post here more when I actually have a case I can use! Just wanted to see if anyone actually got theirs in the end, don’t think I’d be so patient if it wasn’t for this particular type of case.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm planning to expand my rack and I'm in between two 7U Intellijel cases or one 12U elite modular case.

For studio usage, do you guys think elite modular case has some considerable advantage?

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:47 pm

cv wrote:Yep, you’re absolutely right, and I do plan to post here more when I actually have a case I can use! Just wanted to see if anyone actually got theirs in the end, don’t think I’d be so patient if it wasn’t for this particular type of case.
totally,
id be rightly P.O. and im sure you are and right fully so increasingly frustrated.

I can't say much for the particulars of the Elite case vs other cases but, from a consumer perspective there are a plethora of case builders out there, like anything euro now more that ever, and I dont think Elite is worth stressing over IMO
im not sure what particular attribute you seen in Elite that is the draw, (hinged location, texture?) but id guess anything you found in Elite you could probably find in any number of other builders and you'd probably have your case at home loaded and jamming before the dude at Elite sends you a please please please email trying to explain why a few day job has turned into nearly 3 months.

sorry im not trying to be a negative Nancy, just seems like the accountability is null for some of these guys. which I understand these are small 1.2.3.4 man operations but the consumer is more likely than not a worker bee, family body or the like and this shit isn't some cheap shit gear in this case no pun intended a case is 600- 1250$!!! thats a lot of money for someone who's working a 9to5 just having fun jamming in there basement with the gang.

on a more positive note welcome to the forum, I lurked forever but finally joined too. hopefully you have better experiences moving forward

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 am

guigui wrote:I'm planning to expand my rack and I'm in between two 7U Intellijel cases or one 12U elite modular case.

For studio usage, do you guys think elite modular case has some considerable advantage?
Are you talking about the 12U portable case or studio case from Elite? I have both the Elite portable 416 case and a pair of Intellijel 7U cases. The advantage of the Elite, for me, is that it's a single contained solution, closes patched, and I can (and have) taken it as carry-on luggage on international flights. It also looks elegant; the finish/coating is nice. Downsides for the Elite are that it's pretty heavy, needs support for the top part when opened, and by design the top rack is recessed into the case, making access to smaller modules on the sides a bit fiddly.

The Intellijel cases look more utilitarian, but have the extra 1U row in each case, integrated legs, and can be used together with the joiners, or side by side. Also, easy access to all modules, since there are no lips like the Elite case. The Intellijel cases can also be stood up vertically (though it would be good to support them to avoid them crashing down). I can (and have) taken one Intellijel case as carry-on luggage, but both wouldn't work. I'm thinking about the possibility of getting a soft case made to hold both and still remain carry-on sized, but that would probably mean giving up the opportunity to keep everything patched. Other options for this use case (foldable case, can take it on a plane) would appear to be a pair of Arturia RackBrutes in their soft case, or the Amalgamod case, if Amalgamod got his production going reliably.

If you were talking about the Elite studio case, then I guess your issue comes down to whether you ever want to take your modules out in the real world or not, in which case a portable case would be a consideration. If not, the Elite studio case looks nice, but so do many others.

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 am

cv wrote:Sorry for digging up such an old thread. Wondering if anyone else had any issues with them lately?
There's a very good case builder (by all accounts) right here in the UK...

https://synthracks.com/

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 am

s.l.o.w wrote:
guigui wrote:I'm planning to expand my rack and I'm in between two 7U Intellijel cases or one 12U elite modular case.

Are you talking about the 12U portable case or studio case from Elite? I have both the Elite portable 416 case and a pair of Intellijel 7U cases. The advantage of the Elite, for me, is that it's a single contained solution, closes patched, and I can (and have) taken it as carry-on luggage on international flights. It also looks elegant; the finish/coating is nice. Downsides for the Elite are that it's pretty heavy, needs support for the top part when opened, and by design the top rack is recessed into the case, making access to smaller modules on the sides a bit fiddly.

The Intellijel cases look more utilitarian, but have the extra 1U row in each case, integrated legs, and can be used together with the joiners, or side by side. Also, easy access to all modules, since there are no lips like the Elite case. The Intellijel cases can also be stood up vertically (though it would be good to support them to avoid them crashing down). I can (and have) taken one Intellijel case as carry-on luggage, but both wouldn't work. I'm thinking about the possibility of getting a soft case made to hold both and still remain carry-on sized, but that would probably mean giving up the opportunity to keep everything patched. Other options for this use case (foldable case, can take it on a plane) would appear to be a pair of Arturia RackBrutes in their soft case, or the Amalgamod case, if Amalgamod got his production going reliably.

If you were talking about the Elite studio case, then I guess your issue comes down to whether you ever want to take your modules out in the real world or not, in which case a portable case would be a consideration. If not, the Elite studio case looks nice, but so do many others.
I was talking about the portable version.

I'll probably end up with a MDLR case.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:16 am

are there any issues with the new MDLR boards and some digital modules? I heard rumblings of that at some point but don't know if it had to do with the new power they are using or if that was even the issue.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:12 pm

insoul8 wrote:are there any issues with the new MDLR boards and some digital modules? I heard rumblings of that at some point but don't know if it had to do with the new power they are using or if that was even the issue.
I didn't know about that.

AFAIK, MDLR boards are made by Konstant Lab, which makes very reliable boards.

cv
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cv » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Severed head wrote:on a more positive note welcome to the forum, I lurked forever but finally joined too. hopefully you have better experiences moving forward
Lux A Turner wrote:There's a very good case builder (by all accounts) right here in the UK...

https://synthracks.com/
Thanks for the replies, and I plan to go with Synth Racks as soon as I’ve received a refund. Just hoping to highlight the issue with Elite a little more to anyone else who might be looking to purchase from them, I find the whole thing a bit strange. Didn’t they used to manufacture the cases for the MN Shared System at one point?

thispatcher
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thispatcher » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 pm

cv wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:20 am

Hi cv and . PascalLeuthi,

Any updates on this? I ordered a case and I've been getting 'I'll update you next week' messages and then not hearing from them.

cv
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cv » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 am

thispatcher wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 pm
Hi cv and . PascalLeuthi,

Any updates on this? I ordered a case and I've been getting 'I'll update you next week' messages and then not hearing from them.
Had to make a PayPal claim, took about 2 months to process but got a full refund in the end. Never heard anything from Elite.

2Disk
Learning to Wiggle

Re: elite modular case / rugged / flight

Post by 2Disk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:39 am

I was going to suggest exactly that: make a PayPal claim. This way of doing "business" is simply not acceptable. :foul:

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:12 am

thispatcher wrote:
I can't tell you how many emails just like that I received from Oliver when I ordered my case. When I ordered, I was given a 1-2 month estimate of delivery, and it took more like 4+ months.

In the end, I put my foot down and told Oliver that I needed my case by a certain date (and I really did), and I received the case shortly after that. The flip side is that I really like the case, and it's far more resilient than the Make Noise case it replaced. Though I really like the case, it's a bit hard to be positive about it because of the frustration about the ordering process, and the grade-school level excuses that I was given for the delays.

I'd suggest trying to get a clear picture out of Oliver, and if that doesn't work, do the claim. If you really want the case, Elite cases seem to regularly pop up used on Reverb and elsewhere. I'm not sure which case you ordered, but for me, there really aren't that many options for a 12u case that fits within airline carry-on restrictions.

thispatcher
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thispatcher » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:24 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:12 am
thispatcher wrote:
I can't tell you how many emails just like that I received from Oliver when I ordered my case. When I ordered, I was given a 1-2 month estimate of delivery, and it took more like 4+ months.

In the end, I put my foot down and told Oliver that I needed my case by a certain date (and I really did), and I received the case shortly after that. The flip side is that I really like the case, and it's far more resilient than the Make Noise case it replaced. Though I really like the case, it's a bit hard to be positive about it because of the frustration about the ordering process, and the grade-school level excuses that I was given for the delays.

I'd suggest trying to get a clear picture out of Oliver, and if that doesn't work, do the claim. If you really want the case, Elite cases seem to regularly pop up used on Reverb and elsewhere. I'm not sure which case you ordered, but for me, there really aren't that many options for a 12u case that fits within airline carry-on restrictions.
Thanks for this. I put in the paypal claim last week and lo and behold oliver finally got back to me and said this. I believe its pretty darn close to what someone else said as well in this thread:

"Sorry for the crazy delay on this. One of our suppliers is very behind. I was told today that the parts would ship this week. I will check back with you as soon as I have an update. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding. I promise we will get it out soon."

sigh.

thispatcher
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thispatcher » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:39 am

thispatcher wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:24 pm
closedLoop wrote:
thispatcher wrote:

Thanks for this. I put in the paypal claim last week and lo and behold oliver finally got back to me and said this. I believe its pretty darn close to what someone else said as well in this thread:

"Sorry for the crazy delay on this. One of our suppliers is very behind. I was told today that the parts would ship this week. I will check back with you as soon as I have an update. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding. I promise we will get it out soon."

sigh.
And after reflecting on this, I wrote the following email to Oliver:

On further thought, Oliver.

Word gets around in the modular synth community. I see that the way you conducted business with me is nothing new, and I have spoken with several of your clients who've had this bullshit carry on for as long as 7 months.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=127254&start=75

Let me clear, if I do not receive a tracking number with my correct address before the end of February, I am forced to elevate my paypal claim for a swift refund. I have clearly shown restraint and made efforts to work with your needs, but it's abundantly clear that I have no reason to trust you.

shipping address:

(omitted)

Sincerely,

Michael Palumbo

thispatcher
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thispatcher » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:59 pm

thispatcher wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:39 am
thispatcher wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:24 pm
closedLoop wrote:
thispatcher wrote:

sigh.
And after reflecting on this, I wrote the following email to Oliver:

On further thought, Oliver.

Word gets around in the modular synth community. I see that the way you conducted business with me is nothing new, and I have spoken with several of your clients who've had this bullshit carry on for as long as 7 months.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=127254&start=75

Let me clear, if I do not receive a tracking number with my correct address before the end of February, I am forced to elevate my paypal claim for a swift refund. I have clearly shown restraint and made efforts to work with your needs, but it's abundantly clear that I have no reason to trust you.

shipping address:

(omitted)

Sincerely,

Michael Palumbo
Figured I'd report the latest back and forth.

Oliver wrote the following back to me:
Hi Michael,

We should be good by then. The last of the parts will be here by the end of this week. We should be shipping by early to mid next week. I will keep you posted.
Sorry for the added stress with your order and we do appreciate you and your patience with us.

Thank you,
Oliver
To which I responded:

I've received promises from you about when you will ship to me, many times throughout this nonsense between us -- it is no longer appreciated. #1 is that if I don't see the tracking number of the package with correct address on or before February 29th, I will obtain the full refund via Paypal.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:46 pm

thispatcher wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:59 pm
To which I responded:

I've received promises from you about when you will ship to me, many times throughout this nonsense between us -- it is no longer appreciated. #1 is that if I don't see the tracking number of the package with correct address on or before February 29th, I will obtain the full refund via Paypal.
That all brings back a bunch of memories for me. I remember going from excited about my case, to concerned when there was no communication, to frustrated by the excuses, to angry that I might have been ripped off. If he'd told me right off the bat something like "Hey, I have time management, work ethic and cash flow issues, so it will probably take me 4+ months to get you a case, but the case is really nice", I probably would have still ordered, and then not been phased by the delays. Blaming supply chain delays over and over just dumped fuel on the fire when it became clear that wasn't the holdup.

When people ask me about my Elite case, I always say "I really like it, but..."

If this doesn't work out with Elite, MDLR seems to be making serious cases these days. They have non-portable, portable and travel cases. I've seen the "portable" cases in person, and they looked great, though probably stouter and heavier than the elite cases. I haven't seen their "travel" cases in person, but I really like the look of them:
https://www.mdlrcase.com/eurorack-travel-case-12u-94hp/

I probably would have gone for them over Elite if they'd been an option back when I got the Elite.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”