MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

elite modular case / rugged / flight
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author elite modular case / rugged / flight
taylor12k
not too much info about cases in the wild, so i thought i'd start a new thread.

i received from oliver today a 6U elite modular case with the rugged finish. it's replacing my enclave 6U for travel.

the case is every bit as durable and nice as the enclave. very happy with it. i like the look of the elite cases more. more streamlined and clean lines. 25% lighter, too.

i don't even see info on their site about the rugged finish.. but it exists, might need to contact them if you're interested.

can't imagine a better case for travel. i loved the enclaves, those are top choices as well, but i do prefer the look of the elites.

the only negative for me is those make noise power boards. they can be really frustrating to get a power cable into, especially the ones closest to the case edge.

i much prefer the tip top style boards that are in my Goike case. however, those flat connectors allow precious inches to be shaved off the case thickness... so it's a tradeoff i'm willing to live with.
moofi
Picture please? ;-)
taylor12k

fusionid
Is that the standard rack length? Looks longer also
How much
taylor12k
104hp x 2
you'll have to check with Oliver/elite on pricing.

fusionid wrote:
Is that the standard rack length? Looks longer also
How much
Barlov
Awesome looking case. 12U would be unreal.
botstein
I just got the 6U too! Would instantly upgrade to 12U if he comes out with one.

http://instagram.com/p/wPrBXXovhq/
ziggomatic
I bought my Verbos Composition system a couple weeks ago from AH and upgraded the case to the Elite Modular 6U rugged, loving it thus far! Very well made case, i've already added 4 new modules to it yet haven't had any connection issues with the Makenoise power board.

AH is actually currently using this pic they took of my system on their product page for the case:

ziggomatic
botstein wrote:

Nice setup! Funny i've also been seriously considering the QMMF-4 lately, but kind of figured i'd wait until I had a bigger case for it. Yet yours fits nicely in the Elite 6U. Right next to my other top filter choice, the MMF-1 :-)
waveglider
I was at Control recently and looked at both the Elite and Enclave 6U side by side and the Elite was lighter and the textured finish is very durable. I was very impressed with the build quality .
A fully loaded case gets pretty heavy, so every little bit of weight saved helps and I'd definitely say go with the Elite.
I'm pretty sure the pricing between the two is the similar.
botstein
ziggomatic wrote:
botstein wrote:

Nice setup! Funny i've also been seriously considering the QMMF-4 lately, but kind of figured i'd wait until I had a bigger case for it. Yet yours fits nicely in the Elite 6U. Right next to my other top filter choice, the MMF-1 :-)

All this stuff "lives" in my Monorocket Lexington II, which is pretty big as portable cases go, but I do admit I'm enjoying the QMMF-4 in a smaller system too. It's easily one of my favourites!
kstl
just to add that I received mine yesterday and is awesome. Really good built and looks like the rugged finish is indestructible hyper

btw I didn't have any problems with space for the modules or for connecting
ghrobbing_tristle
Has anyone seen the recent Richard Devine interview where he shows off a new 12U prototype from Elite? It looks pretty incredible, and Devine goes over the case specifically at the 2 minute mark...

vailsy
yeah the 12u case looks pretty interesting, bigger but useful. I got a flyer from AH with a picture of it closed up, it's thicker of course and it has the handle on top instead of the side. Just needs swivel wheels like one of those modern wheelie suit cases and it would be about perfect

I was planning on gradually getting 4 of the regular ones over time, 2 side by side, but 2 regular and 1 of these would work too, the big one for the lower tier and 2 regulars above it side by side for the best portability options

the cases are great quality btw
bobbcorr
vailsy wrote:
yeah the 12u case looks pretty interesting, bigger but useful. I got a flyer from AH with a picture of it closed up, it's longer and thicker of course and it has the handle on top instead of the side. Just needs swivel wheels like one of those modern wheelie suit cases and it would be about perfect

I was planning on gradually getting 4 of the regular ones over time, 2 side by side, but 2 regular and 1 of these would work too, the big one for the lower tier and 2 regulars above it side by side for the best portability options

the cases are great quality btw

Any chance you could share a scan of that flyer? Thanks!
vailsy
vailsy
..no scanner so a poorly taken old school picture instead, hopefully you can make it out. looks like a great case
bobbcorr
vailsy wrote:
..no scanner so a poorly taken old school picture instead, hopefully you can make it out. looks like a great case

Looks great! Thank you for sharing this.
fourhexagons
Looks like the design may have changed a bit since then as per Control's recent Instagram post: https://instagram.com/p/8TX34yOZFa/
kstl
Looks like that 416 is an add-on for the actual 208? If is like that would me massive, I have the 208 and I'm really happy with it. Would be cool the possibility of expand it like that. Nice built cases btw thumbs up
vailsy
hmm maybe the 416 is a different case. the instagram seems to refer to an add on to the existing 208.. probably it's the same thing though

the expansion possibility is good news. I wonder how much it'll cost? To be honest I don't like the recessed lids so decided to get 4 208's gradually instead of two monorocket style 12u's so everything would be flush with the lid, but I might be tempted with the expansion even if it is recessed if it's priced alright although I guess it's not much less than the 208

really though I wish they'd just make a 12u version which is 2 regular 6u's with a spacer with the handle and hinges on like the flyer photo, or maybe several modular style options for people to choose from would be nice
shreeswifty
i would love some tips on who to investigate for a 12U portable case with power and rails, i emailed Dark Modular for a quote last week and have not heard back yet. I currently have 3 HEKs [84] +1 Cell90 [90] So that's around 350hp of modules. I REALLY want to be able to leave a patch loaded.
vailsy
I heartily recommend the elite cases, they are the lightest and smallest profile that I have found in 6u and since this 12u is coming soon I would say it's worth waiting for
suckspit
vailsy wrote:
really though I wish they'd just make a 12u version which is 2 regular 6u's with a spacer with the handle and hinges on like the flyer photo, or maybe several modular style options for people to choose from would be nice

+1
Worwell
Does anyone have experience with the Elite 416 Studio? I have a used one on the way but have found little information about them so far. Thanks.
gonya
any word on a 12u flight case?
___tomk
interested here too...
dillajay
Received my 208 from Oliver this week! Beautiful case and quick shipping to Australia! Would highly recommend!
fourhexagons
The handles that Oliver uses on these cases are pretty amazing. Does anybody know where to source replacements/extras?
fourhexagons
Well folks, check it out:

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/collections/recent-arrivals/products/elite-por table-12u

Apparently this arrived at Control without any announcement. No confirmation yet as to whether Mr Dodd plans on releasing the conversion top as a separate piece, or if we'll all just have to sell our 208's and buy this 12U.

It would be a good business move to have the conversion top be its own product as I would suspect that many of us with 208's would want to just buy a conversion top and end up with this case. Seeing that the price is $1250 and that a 208 is $750, I would suspect that a conversion top would cost just over $500, taking into account that the 208 includes the lid.
tebs213
fourhexagons wrote:
Well folks, check it out:

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/collections/recent-arrivals/products/elite-por table-12u

Apparently this arrived at Control without any announcement. No confirmation yet as to whether Mr Dodd plans on releasing the conversion top as a separate piece, or if we'll all just have to sell our 208's and buy this 12U.

It would be a good business move to have the conversion top be its own product as I would suspect that many of us with 208's would want to just buy a conversion top and end up with this case. Seeing that the price is $1250 and that a 208 is $750, I would suspect that a conversion top would cost just over $500, taking into account that the 208 includes the lid.

Man I hope they are still putting out the seperate top! That was part of why I bought the Elite in the first place.
drowld
Would love to know about the handles and parts.
Doing something similar diy would be noice
bc3
drowld wrote:
Would love to know about the handles and parts.
Doing something similar diy would be noice

Sourced the handles a while back during a DIY build myself and am pretty sure these are the same handles used on the "Elite" cases.

https://ohiotravelbag.com/products/item/bc47b678-42c9-48ac-b5b0-e31404 a0cfe8/L-2832

Corners, latches and hinges can be sourced from here:

http://www.reliablehardware.com/

or

https://www.parts-express.com/

Actually just finished a new case build last night and will post a few pics soon. I skipped using tolex this time and tried a coating called Duratex that is marketed as a speaker cabinet coating. Looks pretty good and seems like it will hold up well.

http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

Looks like Elite is using some kind of heavy duty "Black Ballistic Super Rugged Coating" but I'm not planning on taking my case into a war zone anytime soon so I should be fine I think. cool
drowld
[quote="bc3"]
drowld wrote:
Looks like Elite is using some kind of heavy duty "Black Ballistic Super Rugged Coating" but I'm not planning on taking my case into a war zone anytime soon so I should be fine I think. cool

Thx for the infos. They do a lovely work on the case it's truly inspiring.
If i wasnt that broke.

I think the idea of putting some balistic coating between the tolex and the wood is nice.
Wouldnt aluminium be lighter ?
5mm thick aluminium with coating and tolex would be nice too. But lighter ?
we're not worthy
bc3
[quote="drowld"]
bc3 wrote:
drowld wrote:

Thx for the infos. They do a lovely work on the case it's truly inspiring.
If i wasnt that broke.

I think the idea of putting some balistic coating between the tolex and the wood is nice.
Wouldnt aluminium be lighter ?
5mm thick aluminium with coating and tolex would be nice too. But lighter ?
we're not worthy

Yes, Elite makes a great looking case but with a little DIY effort and resourcing you could build something pretty close to what they are selling for much less $$.
The protective coating just goes right on top of the baltic birch I used for my case. No need IMO to do anymore than that. Best of luck if you decide to take on the build!
Ranstedt
Any info on the 12U detachable case Richard was showing in the above youtube video?

Would be cool if there was a little built in stand or legs in one of the 6U sections allowing the user to use it in a laptop orientation and not just two 6U's side by side. Now that would be very versatile. thumbs up
Epignosis567
Any word on this? 12U portable cases are becoming mythological in the euro world even while the market itself is expanding hmmm.....
josephbranciforte
yeah, that 12u looks really great for gigging with a larger rig. anyone have one yet?
Epignosis567
help
Epignosis567
I think this is a hoax. I can't find any information on it anywhere other than control. I think maybe it's an old prototype that never came to fruition.
tebs213
Any word on the 12u? Was really hoping for one...
Hallmar
Epignosis567 wrote:
I think this is a hoax. I can't find any information on it anywhere other than control. I think maybe it's an old prototype that never came to fruition.

Nope, not a hoax. I contacted Elite Modular directly. Got it 6 weeks ago.
I had to pressure Oliver alot but i got through in the end!

Great case, very high build quality. Couldn't be happier.
Not sure why they don't post it on their website and start to take orders, there's obviously a demand for 12U flight cases.

Edit: Here's the specs that Oliver sent to me at the time.

Quote:

Hi Hallmar,

Here is the official specs for the 12U:

Elite - E416 Portable - 12U / 104hp
- Portable Eurorack Modular Flight Case
- Light Weight
- Strong Construction using Baltic Birch
- Black Ballistic Super Rugged Coating
- Make Noise Power Bus Board
- Total Power: 2.8A of +12v, 2.8A -12, 2A +5
- Power Each Half: 1.4A of +12v, 1.4A -12, 1A +5
- 40 Euro Connectors for Modules
- 4.3A Switching Power Brick x 2
- Removable Top
- Not Designed to close patch, but may with "Control" Patch Cables
- 20 M2.5 Sliding nuts and Screws per Rail (160 Total)
- Complies with Airline Carry On restrictions
- Exterior Dimensions: 21.5" W x 10.75" H x 9" D
- Space between the two sides (interior when closed) 2"
- Space above the busboard (top 6U) 2"
- Space without the busboard (bottom 6U) 2 9/16” 66mm

I should add that with my current module count i can safely close it patched, but you've got to be careful not to put too much pressure on the jack connectors. Some could give away.

bisquick
how do you tip it up at an angle? or is this not safe?
dysonant
Excellent cases, I've got an Elite Studio 12u and love it, but as I delve deeper into digital modules, I find those Makenoise power supplies a bit lacking.
Hallmar
bisquick wrote:
how do you tip it up at an angle? or is this not safe?

I used to use a guitar stand, now i just have it flat like on the picture.

The hinges are not designed to hold the other half at an angle, it's designed so the top half is removable.
Splinter(UA)
"Light Weight"... why weight exact value is not specified?
Clearance above rails is not specified as well... "May close with "Control" Patch Cables" sounds a bit strange, so there is a definite risk of damaging the jacks of the modules?
There is interesting alternative for Elite 12U on the market - DNGR:TECH 12UFO Case - http://dngr.tech I am using their cases and super happy about them!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/splinter-ua[/s]
Hallmar
Splinter(UA) wrote:
"Light Weight"... why weight exact value is not specified?
Clearance above rails is not specified as well... "May close with "Control" Patch Cables" sounds a bit strange, so there is a definite risk of damaging the jacks of the modules?

http://www.elitemodular.com/e416-portable-12u.html
Here are some more speccs(i think), but i agree on the weight, they should give up the exact weight.

I can close it patched, but i'm a bit sceptic on that, so i try to be extra careful. Try to be sure that i'm not putting any pressure on the jacks and so forth.
EDIT: I use Intellijel jacks, wich are manufactured by Ad Infinitum.
healingproperties
Beautifully made case. Just got one. However, upon first test noticed a lot more noise than I previously experienced with my monorocket case. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?
funkyjunky
healingproperties wrote:
Beautifully made case. Just got one. However, upon first test noticed a lot more noise than I previously experienced with my monorocket case. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

This is due to makenoise power busboard. This is not the quietest power supply on the market. Intellijel and Tip Top Audio power supplies tend to be less noisy. Also, if you want to be sure about it disconnect all modules and try to add one by one starting from an oscillator and add all new modules to your patch and listen to the noise level. Maybe you have one module that is not "compatible" with makenoise powerbus. There is a well-known issue with power supplies and different modules when some modules even may not function properly with this or that power supply. So you'll need to investigate this issue in your system with the methodology I suggested and try to figure out when that noise appears in your system. Good luck with that!
bisquick
I've actually found the 6U MN PBBs from 2015 and newer to be very quiet and stable. Please give specific info if you've found otherwise; you should be able to find the vintage on the board itself. I believe that if you're having issues with noise ("makenoise", get it?), you can contact MN for a replacement board if they can verify the issue.
healingproperties
Thanks for the suggestions funkyjunky & bisquick ...After much testing, I tried the simplest thing and used a different wall outlet. Boom! Problem solved! Super quiet now. Guessing the mysterious noise was on account of the old wiring of my house. Also want to shout out Oliver @ Elite for the email correspondence while I attempted to solve this one.
tebs213
Just saw they finally have the 6u expander top to make a 12u for sale on the website. Ordered and pumped.
Hallmar
tebs213 wrote:
Just saw they finally have the 6u expander top to make a 12u for sale on the website. Ordered and pumped.

That is fucking brilliant!
Well done Elite.
Kujo
Any confirmation whether or not this case would be a good choice for someone who needs to have their patch before going out on the road? I don't use much stackcables or can live without stacking if that is the only compromise.
atrostor
Kujo wrote:
Any confirmation whether or not this case would be a good choice for someone who needs to have their patch before going out on the road? I don't use much stackcables or can live without stacking if that is the only compromise.

Hi, yeah the 6U can be closed with a patch. I am assuming that's the case with the 12U as well.
chasenz
atrostor wrote:
Kujo wrote:

Hi, yeah the 6U can be closed with a patch. I am assuming that's the case with the 12U as well.

Yes sir! Although I don't have one (yet) I've seen them out in the wild with other people having them closed patched. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these myself...
bisquick
12U closing: No, it doesn't close patched with stackables. It also doesn't close patched in general (intellijel or ad infinitum cables, etc), unless you're using the tiny cables that doepfer or control sells (even then, I'm not sure). Sad about that, since I wanted to travel w/ it patched.

12U opening: I was expecting that, at the least, the case would be able to be anchored after opening so that you didn't have to detach the two sides, but that is not the truth. It's super fragile w/r/t bearing a load of weight, and you can hear the hinges cracking the wood when you open it too far, so it's important that you detach the two sides before setting up. there are other cases out there that will allow for this, but they're frequently less 'sexy'. At this point, I favor functionality over looks (duh).

12U + 6U design: If you've owned the 6U and purchase the 12U, it's possible that the case's edges don't line up, due to warping in the wood in production (this was the situation with mine). Over time, the wood comes back into place through me manipulating the rigid box. I think that in general think this can be a factor w/ wooden cases, but I haven't had further issues with it - the wood seems to settle over time.

power board with some cases: When I got the 6U, it came with a noisey MN power board that was obviously untested, and I had to work with MN to get it replaced – that took around a month. It worked fine after that, with the 2015 revision. When I bought the 12U lid it came w/ a newer revision, and I haven't had issues with that one.

All in all, I've been disappointed. I'm sorry to say it because I normally wouldn't speak up about stuff like this, but this tried my patience. And for $1400?
Kujo
Mmm that last post by bisquick got me thinking..

Now its a bit confusing, is the 12U designed to close patched? I dont want to force anything! For the rest of the details I can live with that although im sorry to hear you're disapointed.
cyclopeatron
bisquick wrote:
12U closing: No, it doesn't close patched with stackables. It also doesn't close patched in general (intellijel or ad infinitum cables, etc), unless you're using the tiny cables that doepfer or control sells (even then, I'm not sure). Sad about that, since I wanted to travel w/ it patched.

I was about the pull the trigger on a 12U, but this stopped me.

Does anyone know of other good quality 9-12U cases that close when patched with normal cables?

The Dark Modular cases look great, but they're apparently not being made anymore. The Pittsburgh EP-360 also looks good, but people seem to be having a lot of issues with power supplies and build quality. The Doepfer 3x84hp is a little too small for what I need.

Why is this so hard? Am I asking for too much?
funkyjunky
cyclopeatron wrote:

Does anyone know of other good quality 9-12U cases that close when patched with normal cables?

Why is this so hard? Am I asking for too much?

12UFO by DNGR:TECH can be closed fully patched even with stackables.

https://dngr.tech

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167244&start=all&pos tdays=0&postorder=asc

If you have any questions don't hesitate and drop me a mail on info@dngr.tech

Best of luck!
Nightly Closures
Monorocket 9u closes fine when regular cables are patched. I'm very happy with the case. The only downside is having to add a UZeus to fully power the case even with the updated PSU.
brownacid
cyclopeatron
Keep an eye out for the new Elite 12u case. They most def will allow stackables and bigger patch cables.

Check them out here. It's the same one that Richard Devine has been using for a while.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPiVTOrAq3t/
jesselucas
Just received the expander to make a 12u. Anyone have tips on how to keep the expander connected and vertical? The photos show it open like this but mine doesn't want to stay connected.
bisquick
jesselucas wrote:
Just received the expander to make a 12u. Anyone have tips on how to keep the expander connected and vertical? The photos show it open like this but mine doesn't want to stay connected.

Yeah, that's another thing.

No tips to keep it connected - it was designed this way.
If you want a case that connects, I would recommend a second hand gorilla box or possibly one of the doepfer cases. Those are closer to the standard ATA cases and the gorilla one in particular closes patched.

Those cases are old at this point, and the power boards in them are most likely outdated, but might work just fine. I'd rec looking into whether or not you could get one second hand and purchase your own power board from any number of quality manufacturers.

I will say that the nice thing about the MN power boards is that they work all over the world. Not a trivial feature.
Hallmar
jesselucas wrote:

Get a box of somekind and put it under the upper lid(see pics)
Used that at home for a long time now.

I've never had problems with the hinges making the wood crack.
And i've solved the 'not being able to close patched' problem with angled patch cables in the upper lid(they're on the way from USA). Although that's no 'excuse' for it not being able to close patched.

Maybe i'm in denial in regards to the pro's and cons. There's DNGR modular and MDLR cases that can close patched, but when i bought this case i was not aware(or they weren't available) of them so i gotta stick with this case. And sometimes that means compromising and finding solutions.

As far as build quality goes for my case, it's great and has been great for the past 8 months, extensive gigging and harrasment. Can't see one scratch on it.

sexslut
tebs213 wrote:

How do you like it? I have the 6u case right now, and am considering the expansion top. I was a little worried about how well they would fit together when buying them separately. Have you had any issues?

Has anybody else boughten the expansion top separately? What are your thoughts?

Edit: Ah, I just saw your follow up. Thanks! (I read the whole thread to see if it was mentioned, and stopped right before the end! d'oh!)
JakoGreyshire
I'm thinking of getting the 416 expansion top..... despite the other comments of it not closing all the way while patched, It looks like it will close if only one side is patched and/or at each cabled patch point there wasn't any cable on the exact opposite space of that cable when the case is closed.... Like if you had a mother32 in there, then all that space where the mother32s' knobs are could be sapce for the cables from the other case side. Savvy?

Anyway, I was wondering a few things...

Where are the angled cables available for purchase? I'm assuming that they would be 90 degree angled? Anyone got any good recommendations for angled cables?

If the MN power supply has 20 power connectors on it does that mean you can only put 20 modules in it? Or can you daisy chain modules off one power connector as long as you don't exceed the power available of the entire power supply and still have some headroom voltage left over?... What is it, like 10% headroom or something like that? 20%? (It's not good to max out the power supply but some people have been known to do just that.)

It would be nice to see a video of someone closing a fully patched 12U Elite case...

I might be able to live with just patching half of the 12U case and labeling the un-patched cables so when I get to the show and set up I'd just patch the cables into the opposite side and go from there... What? Takes an extra 3 minutes of setup to do that? I'd maybe already have some patch notes to work off of anyway if I had a long set to do... Angled cables might get in the way of something else on the module as well..

hmmm.....
JakoGreyshire
Sheesh... I just saw this.... instead of the 416 expansion, for ten bucks more I could get...MN 7U shared Bus case...

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/make-noise-7u-steel-cv-bus-case-pre- order

If I'm not flying around with it then I could just take two cases out into the wild.
XAXAU
Has anyone figured out what coating these cases use? I’d love to coat my DIY stuff with it. Looks like glittery asphalt! smile
JakoGreyshire
Funny that this thread just popped up again.. I just received my 416 expansion top today!! I'm looking at it getting ready to install my modules in it.... I'll see if Oliver will tell me over email what the coating is..
Antlerface
My 14U closes just fine when fully patched, have brought it all patched up to the studio a few times as such. The cables in the cv bus (one in each 1U rail) ‘kiss’ a bit but nothing i would be worried about if I’m not trusting TSA to handle it.

The depth of the lip on the top lid would be detrimental to wigglage if you had some really small (2hp) stuff on the edges. I have a Stages and Drumfuck on the right and a M32/DFAM on the left so I’m not having any issues whatsoever.

Overall I am super happy with the case. Power hasn’t been an issue with my setup either. MN shit seems pretty low draw and w the Moogs taking up all that hp I’ve got about 300ma if available power on each side of the case.

Hinges aren’t an issue, but it doesn’t stand up alone. The MN blue steel stand (or any cradle guitar/bass stand) hold the top lid up super steadily.

I love the thing. Almost as much as all the modlolz it holds.
JakoGreyshire
hihi hihi

Oliver says the coating is called Euro sauce.

hihi hihi
XAXAU
JakoGreyshire wrote:
hihi hihi

Oliver says the coating is called Euro sauce.

hihi hihi

LOL

It looks like Duratex or Warnex which is pretty cheap to coat with but needs some practice.

I also checked out Line-X which is a 2 part polymer that´s sprayed on with high pressure and heating in the nozzles and dries in 5 seconds. Saw videos of coated watermelons being dopped from a 30m height and it just bounced against the pavement. €100 per m2 (= one case) is a bit steep though! grin
dugoutcanoe
Hallmar wrote:
jesselucas wrote:

Get a box of somekind and put it under the upper lid(see pics)
Used that at home for a long time now.

Mine just came in. Not sure what to make of the design. Seems i'll get used to it, but what the fuck?! WHERE IS IT MENTIONED OR INDICATED THAT YOU NEED A GUITAR STAND TO PROP UP THE LID? very frustrating

^WTF for ~$1200 you'd think you'd be made aware of such a detail
PascalLuethi
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if anyone else has a bad experience with elite modular? I've ordered and payed a 6u case directly from http://elitemodular.com about 7 months ago. Oliver does respond to my emails, he's always telling me "we'll ship your case first thing on monday" and things like that, but nothing ever happens. it's going like this for 4 months now and i'm starting to think that i'm getting ripped off...
yaongi~
Classic junkie talk (or in one case ex-girlfriend talk).

Usually I follow this process
1. Accept the loss, to clear your mind
2. Do what you need to do to get your money back

If someone says they're gonna send it first thing Monday, and you have to chase them, then they say they're gonna send it next Monday, and then they don't, that's the end of it.
s.l.o.w
FWIW I've never had an issue with Elite Modular, certainly not anything that would take over 4 months to resolve. I bought an E416 last year, and while it took (as far as I recall) a couple of weeks for them to put it together and get the power boards in stock or whatever, it wasn't much of an issue. And earlier this year I bought a top for the case so I can also take it out as a 2 row x 104 HP case; that order shipped promptly.
PascalLuethi
Thanks for the info s.l.o.w , that's what i was hoping to read.
s.l.o.w
But 4-7 months is a loooong time; I'd try to get them on the phone and see what's up.
cv
PascalLuethi wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if anyone else has a bad experience with elite modular? I've ordered and payed a 6u case directly from http://elitemodular.com about 7 months ago. Oliver does respond to my emails, he's always telling me "we'll ship your case first thing on monday" and things like that, but nothing ever happens. it's going like this for 4 months now and i'm starting to think that i'm getting ripped off...

Sorry for digging up such an old thread. Wondering if anyone else had any issues with them lately?

I've used their cases before (bought second hand off eBay) and I think they're fantastic, so I'm happy to wait a while, but I've been waiting 10 weeks now for my order to ship to the UK and have been getting in touch asking for updates every couple of weeks since the estimated shipping time passed and I'm getting the same type of responses.

First I was told it would ship a week later, two weeks after that they were waiting on bus boards, another two weeks after that they were waiting on hinges (though I was told the case itself was finished and ready), now I'm being told it'll be shipped out in another 2 weeks with no explanation... Like I said I'm happy to wait, but I'm a little suspicious after having read everything on here.

(edit: First post - Hello everyone!)
Severed head
and it starts...
cv wrote:
PascalLuethi wrote:
Hi guys,

Sorry for digging up such an old thread. Wondering if anyone else had any issues with them lately?

I've used their cases before (bought second hand off eBay) and I think they're fantastic, so I'm happy to wait a while, but I've been waiting 10 weeks now for my order to ship to the UK and have been getting in touch asking for updates every couple of weeks since the estimated shipping time passed and I'm getting the same type of responses.

First I was told it would ship a week later, two weeks after that they were waiting on bus boards, another two weeks after that they were waiting on hinges (though I was told the case itself was finished and ready), now I'm being told it'll be shipped out in another 2 weeks with no explanation... Like I said I'm happy to wait, but I'm a little suspicious after having read everything on here.

(edit: First post - Hello everyone!)

bro, your not happy to wait or you wouldn't have registered on a forum just to post, its okay you can admit that you shouldn't have to wait 10 weeks for a case made with parts that are readily available at any US hardware store excluding power and maybe rails, both of which you can get from any number of retailers in less then 1 business week.

these things are about 100usd in raw materials then and other 300 in rails and power, and take about 2hours to build, and 2 hours to coats, (ive build cases for various things including modular) and im guessing you paid around a grand for your case?
you shouldn't have to wait 10 weeks. thats retarded.

this prolonged next week shit is classic deception for either personal problems or general mismanagement

ASK FOR TRACKING NUMBER or A REFUND BY THE END OF THE BUSINESS WEEK, AND BUY A CASE FROM ANY OF THE PLETHORA OF OTHER BUILDER WITH CASES ON HAND
Severed head
double
cv
Yep, you’re absolutely right, and I do plan to post here more when I actually have a case I can use! Just wanted to see if anyone actually got theirs in the end, don’t think I’d be so patient if it wasn’t for this particular type of case.
guigui
I'm planning to expand my rack and I'm in between two 7U Intellijel cases or one 12U elite modular case.

For studio usage, do you guys think elite modular case has some considerable advantage?
Severed head
cv wrote:
Yep, you’re absolutely right, and I do plan to post here more when I actually have a case I can use! Just wanted to see if anyone actually got theirs in the end, don’t think I’d be so patient if it wasn’t for this particular type of case.

totally,
id be rightly P.O. and im sure you are and right fully so increasingly frustrated.

I can't say much for the particulars of the Elite case vs other cases but, from a consumer perspective there are a plethora of case builders out there, like anything euro now more that ever, and I dont think Elite is worth stressing over IMO
im not sure what particular attribute you seen in Elite that is the draw, (hinged location, texture?) but id guess anything you found in Elite you could probably find in any number of other builders and you'd probably have your case at home loaded and jamming before the dude at Elite sends you a please please please email trying to explain why a few day job has turned into nearly 3 months.

sorry im not trying to be a negative Nancy, just seems like the accountability is null for some of these guys. which I understand these are small 1.2.3.4 man operations but the consumer is more likely than not a worker bee, family body or the like and this shit isn't some cheap shit gear in this case no pun intended a case is 600- 1250$!!! thats a lot of money for someone who's working a 9to5 just having fun jamming in there basement with the gang.

on a more positive note welcome to the forum, I lurked forever but finally joined too. hopefully you have better experiences moving forward
s.l.o.w
guigui wrote:
I'm planning to expand my rack and I'm in between two 7U Intellijel cases or one 12U elite modular case.

For studio usage, do you guys think elite modular case has some considerable advantage?

Are you talking about the 12U portable case or studio case from Elite? I have both the Elite portable 416 case and a pair of Intellijel 7U cases. The advantage of the Elite, for me, is that it's a single contained solution, closes patched, and I can (and have) taken it as carry-on luggage on international flights. It also looks elegant; the finish/coating is nice. Downsides for the Elite are that it's pretty heavy, needs support for the top part when opened, and by design the top rack is recessed into the case, making access to smaller modules on the sides a bit fiddly.

The Intellijel cases look more utilitarian, but have the extra 1U row in each case, integrated legs, and can be used together with the joiners, or side by side. Also, easy access to all modules, since there are no lips like the Elite case. The Intellijel cases can also be stood up vertically (though it would be good to support them to avoid them crashing down). I can (and have) taken one Intellijel case as carry-on luggage, but both wouldn't work. I'm thinking about the possibility of getting a soft case made to hold both and still remain carry-on sized, but that would probably mean giving up the opportunity to keep everything patched. Other options for this use case (foldable case, can take it on a plane) would appear to be a pair of Arturia RackBrutes in their soft case, or the Amalgamod case, if Amalgamod got his production going reliably.

If you were talking about the Elite studio case, then I guess your issue comes down to whether you ever want to take your modules out in the real world or not, in which case a portable case would be a consideration. If not, the Elite studio case looks nice, but so do many others.
Lux A Turner
cv wrote:

There's a very good case builder (by all accounts) right here in the UK...

https://synthracks.com/
guigui
s.l.o.w wrote:
guigui wrote:

Are you talking about the 12U portable case or studio case from Elite? I have both the Elite portable 416 case and a pair of Intellijel 7U cases. The advantage of the Elite, for me, is that it's a single contained solution, closes patched, and I can (and have) taken it as carry-on luggage on international flights. It also looks elegant; the finish/coating is nice. Downsides for the Elite are that it's pretty heavy, needs support for the top part when opened, and by design the top rack is recessed into the case, making access to smaller modules on the sides a bit fiddly.

The Intellijel cases look more utilitarian, but have the extra 1U row in each case, integrated legs, and can be used together with the joiners, or side by side. Also, easy access to all modules, since there are no lips like the Elite case. The Intellijel cases can also be stood up vertically (though it would be good to support them to avoid them crashing down). I can (and have) taken one Intellijel case as carry-on luggage, but both wouldn't work. I'm thinking about the possibility of getting a soft case made to hold both and still remain carry-on sized, but that would probably mean giving up the opportunity to keep everything patched. Other options for this use case (foldable case, can take it on a plane) would appear to be a pair of Arturia RackBrutes in their soft case, or the Amalgamod case, if Amalgamod got his production going reliably.

If you were talking about the Elite studio case, then I guess your issue comes down to whether you ever want to take your modules out in the real world or not, in which case a portable case would be a consideration. If not, the Elite studio case looks nice, but so do many others.

I was talking about the portable version.

I'll probably end up with a MDLR case.
insoul8
are there any issues with the new MDLR boards and some digital modules? I heard rumblings of that at some point but don't know if it had to do with the new power they are using or if that was even the issue.
guigui
insoul8 wrote:
are there any issues with the new MDLR boards and some digital modules? I heard rumblings of that at some point but don't know if it had to do with the new power they are using or if that was even the issue.

I didn't know about that.

AFAIK, MDLR boards are made by Konstant Lab, which makes very reliable boards.
cv
Severed head wrote:
on a more positive note welcome to the forum, I lurked forever but finally joined too. hopefully you have better experiences moving forward

Lux A Turner wrote:
There's a very good case builder (by all accounts) right here in the UK...

https://synthracks.com/

Thanks for the replies, and I plan to go with Synth Racks as soon as I’ve received a refund. Just hoping to highlight the issue with Elite a little more to anyone else who might be looking to purchase from them, I find the whole thing a bit strange. Didn’t they used to manufacture the cases for the MN Shared System at one point?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 4