MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

a quandary: what module to get next?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author a quandary: what module to get next?
flippantminister
so: i've got my modular kickin, and i'd like to get another module so i can do some interesting stuff. i can spend about $200. i'm looking for a little advice... so: here's what i have so far:

doepfer a-146 lfo
doepfer a-131 vca
moddemod

also, i have a couple more on the way

doepfer a-145 lfo
doepfer a-143-3 quad lfo

so, you see... i have 6 lfos, but no voltage controllable sound sources

i feel pretty silly about that- i found some good deals and bought before i put much thought into it. but anyway.

i was thinking about what to do next. my current idea is to get an a-106-5 SEM filter and a maximum/minimum module. then i'll have somewhere to send my voltage sources, and something to modify the sound... also, i'm really enamored with the idea of the max/min. the SEM is low/high/band pass, so it's versatile. but not self-resonant, which would give me a VC sound source.

anyway, am i all washed up? you guys have some suggestions that would help me take better advantage of what i currently have? i like droney stuff, and obviously i'm set up to do that, but i'd like to get into some interesting modulations too. i guess i'm limited by the fact that i have no VC sound sources. i don't have many set ideas of what i where i want to go with the modular at this point, i just want to fool around and see where it leads me. i'm not particularly interested in making standard synth sounds, or playing it with a keyboard. but past that, i'm pretty open. what do you think?
felix
I'd think about the Plan B ELF LFOs. They actually have a very wide frequency range and would work well as audio sources. And they are small, and relatively cheap.
criticalmonkey
some of the analogue solutions vco's are sub $200 - haven't used them but since you lack entirely - you can't go to wrong
flts
^- related to that one, someone at modularsynth.net was selling analogue solutions vco-rm for like $115, at least a day or two ago.
Kent
I agree! I even chimed in on that thread. I've got 3xAnalogue Sol. oscs. They're good.
flts
Kent,

Do the ASol oscs go down to sub-audio rates btw? I was thinking that if I could use it as a proper LFO also, it might be a nice addition.

It's really tempting at that price, but I still don't think I'll be getting it since I've been waiting for my AFG + ELF LFO & Wave Splicer patiently. I don't really want to rush to any other purchases before I can toy with them for a while... Unless someone throws a used Euro VCS or a Vulcan Mod at me lol
Kwote
i think there's a used euro VCS on modularsynth.net right now but it wouldn't surprise me if someone snatched it up already.
Chuck E. Jesus
Kwote wrote:
i think there's a used euro VCS on modularsynth.net right now but it wouldn't surprise me if someone snatched it up already.

i wish i knew about that a few days ago hihi i do have an A-154 and wave splicer on the way though thumbs up

@ the OP: i wouldn't doubt you could pick up a couple used A-110 oscs cheap...
flts
Kwote wrote:

Nah, unfortunately not... I (and it seems DA/AD too) checked the ad out already. The guy is actually wanting to trade some of the other stuff for euro VCS or some other modules, not selling one. very frustrating I was kinda "WTF HEY what's the guy's mail address" and then read the ad again and realized he doesn't actually have one for sale.
Kwote
oh shit. haha. either we all have head problems or he didn't word things correctly. i'm betting on the latter as we all seem to be in superb mental condition.
wetterberg
get a plan b ELF lfo, when they're ready.

Then you can enjoy the sound of

one lfo opening and closing the vca for an lfo controlling the pitch of the ELF lfo, while being modulated by an lfo being modulated by an lfo being modulated by an lfo.

at any rate (pun intended) that's going to be quite a racket!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1