MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Braids Illustrated v1.7
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Braids Illustrated v1.7
Bob Borries

Braids is a digital Module with very high quality sound. It does a very good job of emulating analog signals and contains the latest in digital technology.

I'm not associated with Mutable Instruments, this module is special because it contains a museum of synthesis techniques. I decided to make this Encyclopedia to spotlight the modes inside and to reflect on synthesizers from the past that influenced them as well as a few from the future.

This manual of sorts is an open-source project and I new your help if you find any glaring mistakes (some of these modes I admit I'm not sure what's going on) please let me know.
modular@bobborries.com

If you would like to print this illustrated guide to the Braids click the PDF link here... http://www.vo1t.com/Vo1tIllustrated.html

Bob Borries
Braids Digital Modes Part 1

Bob Borries
Braids Digital Modes Part 2

Bob Borries
Braids Digital Modes Part 3

Bob Borries
Braids Vocal Modes

Bob Borries
Braids FM Modes

Bob Borries
Braids Additive Modes

Bob Borries
Braids Physical Modeling Modes

Bob Borries
Braids Wavetable Modes

Bob Borries
Braids Noise Modes

Bob Borries
Braids Granular Modes

Bob Borries
Braids Percussive Modes

If you would like to print this illustrated guide to the Braids click the PDF link here... http://www.vo1t.com/Vo1tIllustrated.html
zam
Woah awesome! eek!

Don't own one yet but this is fantastic, instantly helps me understand what it can do, good work thumbs up
sloth713
we're not worthy fantastic stuff Bob Borries we're not worthy
Mercutio
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

You rocks ! Mutable rocks ! modular community rocks !
scottmoon
applause what a great labor of love thumbs up
Clemdu
Really interesting, great work ! (but now I just want a Braid so badly smile )
mats_j
Thanks for this! Very ambitious work!
insula
MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING

this is F%&""·"$·"%&/ amazing ... i need to buy a braids very frustrating very frustrating
warnton
thanks a lot for this (art)work
ETP
eek! woah that´s huge!!!
Paranormal Patroler
It's Karplus on the Pluck Mode. Thanks for this, I'll print and use as a poster on the studio.
sd88me
awesome, always wanted some more detail on many of the modes!
pichenettes
Wow, thanks for taking the time to do this, and actually understanding what Braids does, beyond "yuck, presets" and "ohhhh manymany wavetables!!"

Some notes

Analog morph: HIGH and LOW are reversed (COLOR adds slew-limiting and distortion). Also, can we have a RSF Kobol picture instead grin

FOLD: COLOR only morphs from sine to tri.

ZPKF: The shape of the peaking filter is more like a low-pass + the shape you have have drawn (more like a resonant LPF with a wide bump).

WTFM: the feedback goes all the way to the modulator (ie, modulator and carrier are modulating each other).

DRUM: the lower harmonics are also ring-modulating low-pass filtered noise to add narrow bands of noise in the spectrum.

BOWD/BLOW/FLUT: the actual signal flow diagram is too complicated to fit in the drawing, but maybe you could just add a box with a "non-linear element".

TWNQ: there is only one noise source, into two bandpass filters (ie, only half of your diagram).

CLOU/PRTC: I think you have swapped TIMBRE and COLOR
L4nd3R
A thing of beauty hyper

Works wonderfully in both a informational and promotional context. It just made me want one really really bad very frustrating

So many possibilities in such a little amount of hp SlayerBadger!
pitri
so cool!
thank you
satori
Brilliant! Awaiting Braids in the mail at the moment. This has helped me get to know it early. Thanks!
loowfizzz
subbr thats kuwl!
mckenic
thumbs up

Gonna have to consolidate this and print it - thank you for all your work!
ki0
applause applause applause we're not worthy
replicalex
This is class mate. Thanks smile Thinking of a Braids for my first system and this really spells out what it can do nanners
meatbeatz
Great thanks!
dashwood
Beautiful work Bob - thank you so much !!..a great resource esp considering full mutable manuals are *only* on their site,not downloadable..(?..I don't get that..or am I being stupid?).....I reckon this deserves a little Christmas pressie from Mutable Santa..w00t

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
pichenettes
Quote:
I don't get that..

http://www.printfriendly.com/

Paste the URL of the online manual and you can get a printable page or a PDF.
maudibe
Brilliant. Thank you!

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
mrtweed
cracking work thumbs up
dashwood
pichenettes wrote:
Quote:
I don't get that..

http://www.printfriendly.com/

Paste the URL of the online manual and you can get a printable page or a PDF.

Nice,thanks P
dualmono
Woah! Brilliant!
thumbs up
koshi
amazing work man!
stressstest
Wow, this looks fantastic, thank you.
cger
This is really awesome, thank you for putting this togetherÃ°Å¸Ëœâ€žÃ°Å¸à œâ€žÃ°Å¸Ëœâ€ž
stevenb
Now I've got to go and try out each and every one of these descriptions!
Love my Braids!

Guinness ftw!
Herman
Thanks for this. Great work thumbs up
r05c03
Very Nice
Synchronon
Totally awesome eek! But just like others posted before, the GAS for Braids which has been unter temporary control before I read this thread is killing me now Dead Banana
Pighood
^ lol

I love it when someone gives me bad GAS for a module I already own.
r05c03
I love my Braids. I very much appreciate the explanation you have of the Global Options on your publication here. I have a question about when it is best to use external trig or auto and when it is best to use have TRIG "off" vs "on". I ask this because I sequence it off with my Elektron A4 and sometimes I get a "clicky" type artifact on many of the modules. It is reminiscent of a fast envelope sound. Could it be setting with TRIG or TSRC?
MrNovember
Been wanting one for awhile but Braids just shot up to the top of my gas list. Now I'm thinking when the new modules are available I'll be getting a Braids and a Clouds

Amazing work! thumbs up
Bob Borries
r05c03 wrote:
I love my Braids. I very much appreciate the explanation you have of the Global Options on your publication here. I have a question about when it is best to use external trig or auto and when it is best to use have TRIG "off" vs "on". I ask this because I sequence it off with my Elektron A4 and sometimes I get a "clicky" type artifact on many of the modules. It is reminiscent of a fast envelope sound. Could it be setting with TRIG or TSRC?

I think pichenettes can help you out better than me, but I'll take a stab at it. Some Modes need a trigger (physical models) but when a trigger is not needed the "Trigger Input" becomes a "Sync Input", the clicking your hearing could be the waveform re-syncing or re-starting. Just remove the Gate Signal cable from the braids for those modes.
Matthias
braids is really deep.

illustrative und laconic overview!

even these fresh drum-modes included.

props. thanks. saved.

matthias
Pighood
I would say Braids is much broader than it is deep, but with all the menu goodies, the depth certainly lurks.
Barlov
Printing this off now. Good work!
painlessparker
Excellent, thanks, can't wait til mine arrives. So many possibilities...
Fp
dude...

applause

wish all the modules, specially digital ones with complicated sub menu, comes with a detailed guide like this...

amazing job!
Igorianych
Bravo!!!

Very actual and helpful staff!

Thanx.
CF3
Well done sir. All your work is so epic. we're not worthy w00t
Pighood
Just a reminder to those with Braids and a VCA Matrix....feed the fucker back into itself. The results frighten Hertz Donuts.
jdkee
Pighood wrote:
Just a reminder to those with Braids and a VCA Matrix....feed the fucker back into itself. The results frighten Hertz Donuts.

Oh, I have to try that.

And kudos for the illustrated manual. Love the art!
Pighood
Output to the v/oct jack and crank until it goes FNERRRRRRRRRK
simfonik
Amazing! we're not worthy

Thank you so much!
Volt Gaat Kraken
this is really great, I just got my Braids. I didn't even knew there was a menu for stuff like drift. It's on now, ow yeah
amnesia
Brilliant! Thanks!
Guygz
killer post!
I rush to the store
panomega
Thank you! Bravo!
Asym9
Love the format and graphics. It makes my index card notes look like... well, like hastily scrawled notes on index cards. Cheers. Guinness ftw!
Snasen
This is excellent! Thank you!
Zodanga
Nice document! VERY helpful! Really makes you appreciate the module seeing it's broad scope laid out like this!
Bob Borries
Volt Gaat Kraken wrote:
this is really great, I just got my Braids. I didn't even knew there was a menu for stuff like drift. It's on now, ow yeah
There's lots of hidden gems in there, I wanted everyone to know about.
blaerg
A PDF as visually appealing as it is informative. Beyond helpful.

Would you believe I was planning to trade this module? Now I can fully explore every facet. THANKS.

thumbs up
Blairio
what is there to add - what a great post. I had already decided to set some time aside in the Christmas holiday to fully understand my Braids. The work presented here will mean that I can go about this methodically, rather than randomly!

Thanks very much to the OP.

And Happy Christmas from Scotland!

Blair
indigoid
Awesome work. I don't actually have a Braids so this was quite interesting and helped me understand why it is so popular. I may have to buy one now. Thanks for posting!

edit: you misspelled Commodore
gwaidan
BrillianT!
sempervirent
Not to diminish the impressive contribution but it's Coarse, not Course
Pighood
I donna care how haggis is spelt, I wanna IN MAH BELLEH It's motherfucking bacon yo
sempervirent
but of coarse you do
moogasm
You have opened my eyes to this incredible module!
Paranormal Patroler
Ok, so everybody owns this module and nobody has read the manual before? This I need to take into serious consideration. hmmm.....
mckenic
Pifff...

Manuals, like sleep... are for the weak!!!

twisted twisted twisted
Bob Borries

PDF updated with many corrections thanks to pichenettes & sempervirent.

http://www.vo1t.com/Vo1tIllustrated.html
yawn_g
zam wrote:
Woah awesome! eek!

Don't own one yet but this is fantastic, instantly helps me understand what it can do, good work thumbs up

Same here! Great read if you're interested in getting a Braids for Xmas smile
bennelong.bicyclist
A few minor errors:

p1
Version with percussion modes is v1.7, not 1.6
Unnecessary capital on Influenced second paragraph
3rd para: theses->these, whats -> what's

VFOF: nasel -> nasal; glotis -> glottis

FM: carier -> carrier

FBFM: carier -> carrier, timbers -> timbres

WTFM: carier -> carrier

BLOW: presure -> pressure

FLUT: presure -> pressure

WTBL: metalic -> metallic

Last page: timming -> timing
amnesia
Knew not new
This manual of sorts is an open-source project and I new
Pighood
HAGGIS It's motherfucking bacon yo
Convulser
I've read the manual of braids a few times, but for someone who doesn't record/program all day and sometimes misses weeks of using modules, this is amazing. I'm going to use this all of the time applause .

Much appreciation for this great quick view chart SlayerBadger! .
Bob Borries
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
A few minor errors:

p1
Version with percussion modes is v1.7, not 1.6
Unnecessary capital on Influenced second paragraph
3rd para: theses->these, whats -> what's

VFOF: nasel -> nasal; glotis -> glottis

FM: carier -> carrier

FBFM: carier -> carrier, timbers -> timbres

WTFM: carier -> carrier

BLOW: presure -> pressure

FLUT: presure -> pressure

WTBL: metalic -> metallic

Last page: timming -> timing

thanks bennelong.bicyclist, pdf updated.
sempervirent
Haha, thanks for taking typo corrections in stride

Looking through the PDF again, you missed the Commodore 64 correction from indigoid on the "squares x 3" mode (spelled as Comadore)

Seriously though, I would guess that this document represents at least a solid week of effort, very impressed and grateful.
lessavyfav
we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
Neekau
Really helpful and pleasant to read. Thank you !
cger
Ahhh!!!! This is so, so, so AWESOME!!!!!!
Guygz
braids' world is lighting up
BlairNightmare
Thanks for this!
Bob Borries

PDF updated to Braids Version 1.7.

http://www.vo1t.com/Vo1tIllustrated.html
Luftrum
Thanks for this, I really hope Mutable gives your some credit (read: a free Braids!) for this amazing work. I will definitely consider Braids myself. thumbs up
blund
Beautiful! Clap
Electronicvibes
Thank you applause
Bark
This is great! Thank you!
modernage
...and saved!

we're not worthy
science
Your guide probably just sold at least one of these for Mutable Instruments. Been away/busy with life for a while and this is the first thing that actually got me curious about this module. Nicely done.
Bob Borries
Luftrum wrote:
Thanks for this, I really hope Mutable gives your some credit (read: a free Braids!) for this amazing work. I will definitely consider Braids myself. thumbs up
But I already have one! and I love it
Anechoic
this is great, really well done. fyi small typo in the Fold description (As as...).
Rumblin_Cynth_Rampo
I cant believe I missed this thread. What a fab resource. Really must get of my ass and get my +5 supply installed.
ben_hex
Rumblin_Cynth_Rampo so you have a Braids currently doing nothing?
sad banana
Onyx
This is awesome - Thanks! applause
pwranml
Whoa I completely missed this.

Is the official firmware out? I did the update when he first did the perc modes but I don't have SIX3 or the other ones yet.

Did a quick search but didn't see anything. Am I just super dumb?
moofi
Yes, it is:

http://mutable-instruments.net/static/firmware/braids_1.7.wav

pwranml wrote:
[...]

Is the official firmware out?[...]
Parametex
moofi wrote:
Yes, it is:

pwranml wrote:
[...]

Nice!

Mutables support page for braids still features only the 1.5 meh
turin horsey
very nice, the informational links were a great idea!
pwranml
moofi wrote:
Yes, it is:

pwranml wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

BTW DONT BE AN IDIOT LIKE MYSELF AND JUST CLICK ON THAT LINK THINKING IT'S A WEBSITE CONTAINING A DESCRIPTION OR WHATEVER. IT'S LOUD AS SHIT. .WAV IN THE URL SHOULD BE ENOUGH OF A CLUE BUT I'M NOT AN INTELLIGENT PERSON.

Also since this thread will probably be where a lot of people find this information. Could someone post the instructions for the upgrade? I did the last one but I forget all the details.
soundwave106
pwranml wrote:
Also since this thread will probably be where a lot of people find this information. Could someone post the instructions for the upgrade? I did the last one but I forget all the details.

Upgrade instructions found here:
http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/braids/manual#firmware
milkyjoe
edit: oops nevermind oops
pwranml
So pumped on SIX3 eg: http://instagram.com/p/yx6wJyAHqv/

Are there any more additions besides the new voices?

I haven't seen any other details on it.
soundwave106
pwranml wrote:
So pumped on SIX3 eg: http://instagram.com/p/yx6wJyAHqv/
Are there any more additions besides the new voices?
I haven't seen any other details on it.

1.7 originally was only going to have the drum modes appended to it. Then the drum modes got moved to a more META friendly location, and the triple triangle and sine got added. From a user perspective, that's most of what you need to know.

There's also some "internal cleanup" and a rare bug that was addressed. The details are in the Mutable forum (http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/6234/braids-v1-7-rele ase-candidate)
kires
Bob Borries wrote:

PDF updated to Braids Version 1.7.

http://www.vo1t.com/Euro/BraidsIllustrated1.7.pdf

woah Thanks! Rockin' Banana!
mDang
Whouahou ! Thanks a lot !
Chris
Wow w00t
Thanks for taking the time to do this, really helpful to give a better understanding of the module and wonderfully presented too!
loopook
Seriously bob! This is fantastic, thank you
kires
thanks to that post I finally understood "mystery" of Braids clicks thumbs up
eonz
This should be the print out that comes in the box with the Braids

Excellent work thumbs up
insectie
perfect! applause
High Wolf
Thanks a lot for this, just ordered one Braids, it's gonna make my life way simpler! This pdf is very good karma for you smile
papertiger
This document is absolutely phenomenal. AND in PDF form so I can refer to it easily and store it with the rest of my manuals.

Thank you so much, Bob. Guinness ftw! we're not worthy
Jericho
Awesome stuff! Thanks thumbs up
guestt
Verrrrrry nice!! Good work thumbs up
shreeswifty
thank you, so nice.
CountZero
Much thanks! Just picked up a Braids and this is a wonderful guide to what the hell it is that I'm hearing hihi
Wick
Good job love the format 100% better that the actual manual .
By way mutable instruments should consider to hire you to make those manuals more easy to describe each elements of each feature that each module would bring.
papertiger
Wick wrote:
By way mutable instruments should consider to hire you to make those manuals more easy to describe each elements of each feature that each module would bring.

Agreed. Bob's "manual" is at least on par with, if not better than, the quick start guide that comes with the module.

And I really wish that for all of their modules Mutable would release actual PDF documents instead of putting the full manual on a webpage. I do most of my reading without access to the internet. Yes, I could print the webpage to a PDF to myself, but that's not as nice or convenient as having a properly formatted PDF. Makes it harder to annotate and/or highlight when the formatting gnomes work their dark magic.
SlyFrank
[quote="papertiger"]
Wick wrote:
I really wish that for all of their modules Mutable would release actual PDF documents instead of putting the full manual on a webpage. I do most of my reading without access to the internet. Yes, I could print the webpage to a PDF to myself, but that's not as nice or convenient as having a properly formatted PDF.

You may already know of this, but Olivier posted this link to make nice PDFs out of webpages a few months ago - better than using the print dialog "print to PDF." Not as good as having a PDF to begin with, but it works well for me for the MI manuals:

http://www.printfriendly.com
papertiger
SlyFrank wrote:
You may already know of this, but Olivier posted this link to make nice PDFs out of webpages a few months ago - better than using the print dialog "print to PDF." Not as good as having a PDF to begin with, but it works well for me for the MI manuals:

http://www.printfriendly.com

Thanks! I hadn't seen that/didn't know about it. It's appreciated, but, as you've pointed out, not as good as having a PDF to begin with...
spruce999
Thank you so mouch for this! I just bought braids and this will make exploration much easier SlayerBadger!
dhoinjo
same here. Cheers!
bobbcorr
Thanks for this and the great Disting cheat sheet too. Looking forward to the work you tease on the homepage of your site! hihi
nezzyidy
This guide helped push me over the edge to finally get a Braids. I assumed that Braids was able to do basic waveforms and I knew it had some wavetables but with a quick perusal of this PDF I was able to see a lot things I was not aware of.

Now I'm ready to read the full manual.

Bravo.
makers
Olivier just released Braids 1.8

I really love the 1.7 Illustrated Guide and hope that you'll be able to keep the document alive with 1.8

Thanks for a great project.
robpurd
awesome!!
solaris
it's just me or the images and the pdf disappeared?
h4ndcrafted
Nope link 4nomore and the pics are broken links.
seriously, i just don't get it
Bob Borries
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Nope link 4nomore and the pics are broken links.
seriously, i just don't get it

It's un-broke now.
blau83
Wow! These manuals are great! Thanks very much applause
Bob Borries
Your welcome, just to let everyone know Braids 1.8 Open Source Manual is out: http://www.vo1t.com/Vo1tIllustrated.html

Added new modes and a handy quantizer chart, with web links to most scales, I'll need help for some I couldn't find.

Added Sawtooth Sync and Harmonic modes.

Thanks to Mutable Instruments for such a great module!
vaxoid
Bob Borries
Many many many thanks for this awesome illustrated manual!

Can you check pdf render, cause 1.8 version has some glitched waveforms graphics?

confusedmachine
Just stumbled across this, amazing. Thankyou so much!
Bob Borries
vaxoid wrote:
Bob Borries
Many many many thanks for this awesome illustrated manual!

Can you check pdf render, cause 1.8 version has some glitched waveforms graphics?

thanks for catching this, will update soon
Bob Borries
This topic is out-dated please use this thread for the lates news on Braids version 1.8: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145160&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=0

Download here: http://www.vo1t.com/Vo1tIllustrated.html

Updated Braids Illustrated 1.8 Manual: Fixed glitched waveforms (thanks vaxoid), added One Sheet for looking at all knob parameters at once.
Infrablue
Just incredible work on this! Thank you!
strawberry
Just found this, thank you we're not worthy
Al__n
This just made me realize that I am getting one hell of a module as my first module ever. I cannot wait to hold this thing in my hand.
Infrablue
Does Braids do well being used as an LFO?
Musicartgeek
I joined Muffwiggler just so I could thank you for this.

Amazing job - very generous of you. Was one of the reasons I bought my second Braids!

Robin applause applause applause
asteraster
waah y u post this when i just bought four mi modules already
y mutable instruments gotta be soooo gooood

oh well Dead Banana
tauburn
I've been skeptical about braids due to the menu diving, but now i have no concern. This will be my next purchase.
pretendingtosee
This may have just sealed the deal for me! This and the Modular Monthly youtube video on Braids, great work! Thanks for this amazing guide!!!! Guinness ftw!
thisisprisma
great job!
Doublecoolbossman
Thanks for putting this together! The disting and micron PDFs are also on point.
ghee hgt
wow thanks!!
hyper
reinklang
Good job! This is indeed very useful. I saw the images in DivKids tutorial video and had been wondering where these graphics came from. Thanks for this!
jwise
I love these and printed ones for Braids and the Disting - only wish they existed for many of my modules
amethyst
Thank you! Great work.
Multi Grooves
It's 2017, I totally missed this. Better late then never. BIG THANKS TO YOU BOB.

papertiger wrote:
Wick wrote:

Agreed. Bob's "manual" is at least on par with, if not better than, the quick start guide that comes with the module.

And I really wish that for all of their modules Mutable would release actual PDF documents instead of putting the full manual on a webpage. I do most of my reading without access to the internet. Yes, I could print the webpage to a PDF to myself, but that's not as nice or convenient as having a properly formatted PDF. Makes it harder to annotate and/or highlight when the formatting gnomes work their dark magic.

I have a folder on my phone [offline dropbox] with manuals/pdfs So I can access the info anywhere, anytime. It's super handy being able to read away my gear.
Happiness Forever
just took possession of a uBraids this past week and have been Beyond Possession playing with it: what a Great Module. And now to find this Great Manual..... YESH, Thanks!! Thanks!! Thanks!!
BlackMarbleFelix
pichenettes wrote:
Wow, thanks for taking the time to do this, and actually understanding what Braids does, beyond "yuck, presets" and "ohhhh manymany wavetables!!"

Some notes

Analog morph: HIGH and LOW are reversed (COLOR adds slew-limiting and distortion). Also, can we have a RSF Kobol picture instead grin

FOLD: COLOR only morphs from sine to tri.

ZPKF: The shape of the peaking filter is more like a low-pass + the shape you have have drawn (more like a resonant LPF with a wide bump).

WTFM: the feedback goes all the way to the modulator (ie, modulator and carrier are modulating each other).

DRUM: the lower harmonics are also ring-modulating low-pass filtered noise to add narrow bands of noise in the spectrum.

BOWD/BLOW/FLUT: the actual signal flow diagram is too complicated to fit in the drawing, but maybe you could just add a box with a "non-linear element".

TWNQ: there is only one noise source, into two bandpass filters (ie, only half of your diagram).

CLOU/PRTC: I think you have swapped TIMBRE and COLOR

High praise from the creator! I have to second this. I initially had a hard time with braids but I just sat down with these illustrations and now I realize how immortal badass it is. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
bobafett
Thanks for the hard work that went into this. Very helpful thumbs up
Nino
wow that is some beautiful work. we're not worthy
Goldenage2012
Great work,

Many thanks
srcodling
I would donate for the quality of this work. It's REALLY helped me get an understanding of my Braids...

Thank you SO much...
Multi Grooves
Pighood wrote:
I donna care how haggis is spelt, I wanna IN MAH BELLEH It's motherfucking bacon yo

Your Grounds Keeper Willie impression is a tiny bit wank...
witchbutter
I know it's been said, but this is incredibly, unbelievably, mind-blowingly helpful.
Funkydroid
gods work you are doing sir!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 7