MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Awesome stand up desk.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Awesome stand up desk.
dkcg
I just got a stand up desk at work (standing is better for my sciatica which started acting up last month), it's multilevel and easily adjustable.

Then I started thinking how I want one at home and how it would be a great desk for tabletop music making. I know how everyone is always in search for the best ergonomic setup to make bleeping noises and drones and thought I'd share this awesome desk. It's not quite deep enough for my Buchla boat, but it would be a killer desk for euro, and any tabletop devices.

I think I'll order one for home, right now I have a couple milk crates and a piece of wood... lol

http://varidesk.com/

ignatius
precarious?

curious how solid it is. guessing it's more solid than milk crates! lol

please share your thoughts if/when you get one
medbot
I've been using a cheap drafting/art table set really high and flat for the last several years as my desk and I love it. Sitting down feels weird now. I wish I had more for all my gear.
dkcg
My Buchla sits on a nice sturdy drafting table. I used to stand and bend over to patch when I had my euro setup on a desk. So much quicker reaching for things when you don't have to get up or stretch. It's a simple drafting table but sturdy, the kind you might see in a college graphic design class. It used to have a sliding straight edge, but the string broke and I took it off. The top of my drafting table can angle, but I don't think I want the modular sliding to the floor if we have a quake. hihi

I just got the stand up table I posted at work. Just had a day on it, made working on a Sunday more bearable. It's probably fine for a couple doepfer cases and a few tabletop effects and synths, but you wouldn't want to put any extra weight on the table other than resting your hands on it. The desk it sits on is very sturdy, and I still have access to it as a shelf type area. You wouldn't want to put this on a shaky desk, but it won't push. The feet are solid as a rock, I tried to push the whole thing back with two monitors a tablet and keyboard and it wouldn't move easily. Nice solid rubber base of some sort.

You wouldn't want to put anything with a high center of gravity on it, but I could see it being great for a 6u or two 6u euro cases, an octatrack, machinedrum and still room for a couple tabletop effects, like a tresonator or two.

I think I might get one at home, but that would be for actual computer use, the milkcrate and piece of wood feels extremely janky after using the riser desk for a day.

We had really nice drafting table type computer desks with seperate riser for the keys at Imagworks, motorized remote control of everything. I looked them up after I left there...$3000, didn't end up getting one. woah

But it was almost 10 times nicer than this one for $350.
sloth713
Most keyboard z stands can get pretty tall. You could buy one of those and make a desk top out of plywood (maybe add a glass top if you want a smooth surface).
IR
There are a lot of other pieces of furniture that can be used, certain cabinets with drawers for example. Although I guess that one is cool if you already have a desk. It would be too small for my needs though, and I'm not a fan of super-modern furniture.
Vinnie Lee
Since my main desk is occupied by a PC screen, a pair of speakers, mouse and keyboard, I'm thinking getting a new desk, too.
It doesn't need to be wide, but "deep" enough so I can set up 2 cases on it, and still got room for speakers and audio interface.
But then, I need room to set up the desk! Arhhhhh!!!!
BTW, how many of us put the cases sideway? Like when you're hunching over your modules, your speakers are on your left side(or right side)? Unless you're using headphones, of course.
Liddlepud
I have lower back problems (3 leaking discs) and bought a motorised height adjustable desk for my office in January. I got it from a company in the UK called shaftdirect.com and I now spend half the day sitting and half the day standing. My back's been a lot better and even though I did have a small episode a few weeks ago my back never went into spasm and I didn't have to stay in bed for a few days which has always happened in the past. I'm 6' and normal office desks are too low for me to sit with the correct posture. The desk is a lot more stable than I thought it would be and I have my PC tower sitting on the desk although you have to plan out your cable management to stop things being pulled off the desk. I'd like to get a couple for the studio but it's out of my budget.

Playing live is always a problem for me as the tables are never high enough and I need something to lift my modular off the table to stand upright when I wiggle which means I'm hidden from the audience (which is probably a good thing for them) or I have to sit down which doesn't look very rock and roll. The physio I use has shown me a few different postures to cope with wiggling live but I don't always remember them when I'm in the middle of playing.
xonetacular
just get your modular big enough so the middle/top rows are at standing height on a normal desk
nangu
I’m pretty sure that spam is an occupational disease of office workers. Can you start out by solving that?

(I was just poking fun at a ‘motorized standing desk’ spam post that got nuked- sorry for breaking up the flow..)
IR
Liddlepud wrote:
Playing live is always a problem for me as the tables are never high enough and I need something to lift my modular off the table to stand upright when I wiggle which means I'm hidden from the audience (which is probably a good thing for them) or I have to sit down which doesn't look very rock and roll. The physio I use has shown me a few different postures to cope with wiggling live but I don't always remember them when I'm in the middle of playing.

Clubs ALWAYS insist on using those low tables, and they suck very much for any type of gear, including dj gear.

On the other hand, the bar stools are of a better height, and so is the bar (not that they'll let you use them), and the tables they insist on people making music use are of a perfect height for ramming up a certain hole that they have.
ngarjuna
My sciatica got so bad last February that I went to standing. I didn't have the money for something convertible and it bugged me at first. Now, months later, I don't miss sitting at all either while working or making music. And not only have my sciatica symptoms pretty much gone away but I didn't have any major lower back incidents in 2018, the first year in many that has been the case. Ultimately would like an adjustable one, though.
Panason
I DIYed a solution using shelves and a couple of those VESA swivel brackets for mounting displays on. They can also be used as moveable shelves for gear and the mouse/ trackball. I just need a second pair of monitors for the sitting position as moving those up and down is not an option. I'd rather spend the money on more speakers than a motorised adjustable desk .
PLNB
Argosy sells a dual rack sit stand with keyboard cutout. Looks good and has room for a nice rig.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1