MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Newb looking for 'Patching for dummies' kind of thing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Newb looking for 'Patching for dummies' kind of thing
komprezzor
Awsome list!!
strawberry
AAAhhhhhh!!!! The mists are clearing oops
nickodemus
great stuff thanks
selectorsroll
great thanks
cbfishes
Babaluma wrote:

if you're really hard core you'll hunt down a copy of allen strange's "electronic music: systems, techniques, controls" which is by far the best text i have ever come across dealing with modular synthesis. if you can't find an old hard copy you can download a .pdf from the publishers for about $15 here:

https://ebooks.primisonline.com/cgi/showebook.cgi?isbn=0390684635

x2 for Strange's "Electronic Music: Systems etc"– a fantastic book that is really helping expand my mind in terms of how to play a modular synthesizer. Great stuff!
peanut
cbfishes wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

if you're really hard core you'll hunt down a copy of allen strange's "electronic music: systems, techniques, controls" which is by far the best text i have ever come across dealing with modular synthesis. if you can't find an old hard copy you can download a .pdf from the publishers for about $15 here:

https://ebooks.primisonline.com/cgi/showebook.cgi?isbn=0390684635

x2 for Strange's "Electronic Music: Systems etc"– a fantastic book that is really helping expand my mind in terms of how to play a modular synthesizer. Great stuff!

I'm a relative noob and whole heartedly agree here. I have several years experience "patching" and programming soft synths, but Strange's book is a must have resource that will really force you to wrap your head around programming concepts. And it's the kind of stuff that you are encouraged to put into practice. I found a copy at my local library.
peanut
And as someone who can attest to great writing, as well as great teaching, there are many many resources on modular synthesis that can be found quite easily, but not all succeed in making the information understandable/readable in an instructive way. Strange's primer is written extremely well, though you may need to take it slow. I would also recommend sound on sound's series on synthesis which can be found archived on their website. I'm sure someone has mentioned it already. If you don't already own a modular, get practice in with a soft synth that emulates the modular structure. Get a copy of Reaktor!
GZHN27
great list!!
Spaceship Commander
nice, thank you verry much for the list smile
snevlida14
Awesome
dune
Great links in there. Thank you.
Jesse8n
Great stuff here, thanks a lot
Cej
Awesome! Thanks!
slehar
I know you shouldn't plug outputs into outputs, but just out of curiosity, is it guaranteed to fizzle one or both modules instantaneously? Or is it only sometimes depending on circumstances? Is there a "three second rule"? How often do people do it by mistake and get away with it?

Also can I plug a VCO's output signal back into its own CV in jack? Will the positive feedback make it explode?

Perhaps the manufacturers should color-code the patch jacks to immediately distinguish inputs from outputs.
Dcramer
Hey Slehar, here's a link to a vid in which I do just that: patch an Osc into itself thumbs up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9PK87saGYno

Usually we don't want to patch into inputs, but I think most modules have some level of protection hmmm.....

Welcome to Muffs w00t
slehar
Wow that is awesome! I will have to try that! Good idea to patch it through a mixer first, so you can ramp up the amplitude slowly in case things get ugly. Thanks!
TRA81769
applause
informative!
englishhaze
Thanks for the info.
romboy
very useful info, thanks!
jntndcrty
this thread is good stuff
danielbollweg
very helpful, glad i found this forum!
maxchiller
As a noob to the synth world this really eased my mind. Gracias!
SuburbanKillings
Nice list!
Format32
very helpful.. Even though some of the content might be outdated, it's still useful.
Supermammal
Thanks for the list
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 5 of 7