MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Newb looking for 'Patching for dummies' kind of thing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Newb looking for 'Patching for dummies' kind of thing
particleswillbewaves
Thanks for the list! Trial and error works but it works better after studying a little bit smile
srogers
Thanks for compiling this - the amount of information here is a bit overwhelming but this is super helpful!
yes0have0some
timmcg wrote:
Yes, the audio will be continuous if you patch your oscillator into a VCF and not a VCA... assuming that the filter isn't turned all the way down so that it filters out all of the sound.

That's why we have VCAs. They will stop the sound from being on all the time and then when you apply a CV input it will turn up and you'll only have an audible sound when there is a positive voltage applied to the CV input, assuming that the gain knob on the top is turned all the way down.

Thank you for this. I was having a hard time making this click in my head and this took care of it.
Tatam
Not sure if new link has been posted already, but this thread led me to the SOS Synth Secrets, which was moved and now all archived here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160403115835/http://www.soundonsound.com  /sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Thanks for the tip!
arronbru
Thanks for the posts.
CycleOffset
I am brand new to modular. Just about 4 weeks in... Really appreciate all the great info on this site, but honestly, none of it made too much sense until I actually got something in my hands to work with. But, I think all the reading helped tremendously with the learning curve - at least for the basics.
rayaline
thanks for this! I am new modulars and just jumped the boat and brought like ten modulars and wondering where to start?
dlk1100
so much great info!
quixot
Exactly what I needed. Thank you for this!
stephenmendes
I have started documenting my patches with short videos on my Youtube channel .... not only may this give others some good ideas to try.... but it could also be beneficial to me, when I want to get back a patch years later.... I think a short Youtube 'walk-thru' video is the fastest and easiest way to document a patch.... no fussing with diagrams and words.... simply video the wires and knob settings and TALK the 'patch' (if the wires are looking too tangled to be clear in the image).

Let me know what you think.

Admittedly my system is small (44-space DOTCOM) with 'basic' function modules ..... but I can make loads of sounds with it.

If you like my idea subscribe to channel ..... and just wait for next video or send suggestions .... I try to put them up every week.

https://www.youtube.com/user/stephenmendes1
sam_schorb
I really liked to tuesday night patching series on youtube
keytarcatholic
Wow, so much helpful info it's almost not helpful...almost.
SonicVoltage
Hi,
I am posting here because in this latest video I show how to patch an Attenuator / Attenuverter + DC Offset to have control over Voltage Signals (LFO or Random CVs) so that you have live control over Pitch Transpose, Notes range, DSP Parameters, etc.. driving melodies coming out of your VCO.

Note: although this is a full video review of the ALM Busy Circuits ALM-010 (Attenuverter + DC Offset)... I show how to build the patch, how the patch works and you can create same type of patch using any attenuator/attenuverter/DC Offset module.

You can see how attenuation, inversion, dc offset is patched and how it affects the signal, in the video I show the waveforms (original and processed by attenuverter/offset) on a Mordax Data so you can graphically see what is happening (before and after waveforms displayed at the same time for easy understanding).

I hope this is helpful to newcomers.

Clickable Index under the video description. Simply click on Show More in the video description to show the clickable index
flipSolver
Really helpful list. Thanks for posting. I look forward to making my way through it.
Aleksi12358
Thanks for this list! I will try to read it all so that I can build good set up for me.
illnoir
Lots to read. Thanks!
sullivanmodular
I am new to this and this post was super helpful. Thanks for the links especially.

I do have one question:

How much should you be expecting to first spend for a simple build as a noob?

Thanks
chris23
As someone mentioned, buried in some deep thread here, I'm having to unlearn years of structured synthesis architecture.

Eg simply shaping a sound with an ADSR is not at all straight-forward (covered in this thread thank you). I keep finding I need to order yet another utility module for yet another $100+.

2 months of research (thanks Wigglers!) and now a couple weeks of hands-on and I'm fairly lost in the woods but having fun
Sleeepwalk
Very helpful thanks smile
Evces
Hi all. I just saw a very clear walk-through of several uses for LFOs. Sharing it here for my first post. I'll be buying my first case and modules soon pending sale of a guitar. Really appreciate this cool forum! Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/oMDnJYG1Tg4

Cheers!
dan903
Thank you! smile
Pelsea
About that don't patch outputs together thing:

(Someone posted the question why? and I didn't see an answer.)

Simple answer-- poof!
Simple answer corrected-- maybe poof!

Long winded answer-- The current pulled from an output depends on the voltage and impedance (resistance will do for now) of the thing is it connected to. In the olden days, outputs usually had 600 ohms impedance, because the phone company said so. That's not much, but will prevent damage to an output circuit if it is accidentally shorted to ground. However, if an output is shorted to another output that happens to be negative (or opposite what output 1 is) there could be twice as much current as was expected. poof.
But nowadays, folks building synthesizers realize that newbies will connect outputs together, so any designer with brains will include extra output impedance as protection. But, if you you do plug two outputs into a multiple, you won't get a mix of the two signals, you will get some sort of average (weighted by the respective output impedances). That's probably not what you want. So use a unity gain mixer instead.
buhl89
Very helpful thread. Thx.
zfealk
thanks !
stegi
Thanks, very helpful!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 6 of 7