MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Newb looking for 'Patching for dummies' kind of thing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Newb looking for 'Patching for dummies' kind of thing
rico loverde
Welshs Synthesizers Cookbook is gret for bread and butter type stuff. Def more Moog based patches as opposed to Buchla / Serge etc. Has things like strings, bass, bells, leads, pianos etc etc, def not as crazy as Allen Smarts...
giorgio
SOS synth secrets. do it. read em all. in order. you will be glad you did. I read that and it schooled me.
JeffK
giorgio wrote:
SOS synth secrets. do it. read em all. in order. you will be glad you did. I read that and it schooled me.

Ok , just finished reading the fist 24 Synth Secrets today and they are great! What a wonderful overview for a smart beginner or low-intermediate person.

thumbs up

Now its time to read the Allen Strange Book!

I wish there was a better way to "get into" the math of all this. I find it incredibly boring. But I love how these books are explaining the secrets of the cv modules. Before knowing all this stuff about cv I thought, as I suspect many beginners do, that the power of synthesizers lies mostly in oscillators, filters, and effects.
rkilman
Awesome list!! Thx!
cycles
I didn't see http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhordijk/G2Pages/index.htm anywhere, so maybe this is useful
diophantine
The Strange book (eBook) is no longer available for sale via McGraw-Hill. I've written to them to ask what the deal is.

I do have a PDF of the book, which I "found" after finding that the book was unavailable via McGraw-Hill. Unfortunately, besides a new table of contents, everything else is scanned in halftones and the images, along with the diagrams, are really bad quality and tough to read: either on-screen or when printed.

Does the official eBook suffer from the same issue?
infradead
i can't even find anywhere to buy it online, and it seems that paper copies are now officially for collectors confused

i did find the ISBN numbers which might help someone latter

ISBN 10: 0697036022 / 0-697-03602-2
ISBN 13: 9780697036025
spinach_pizza
infradead wrote:
i can't even find anywhere to buy it online, and it seems that paper copies are now officially for collectors confused

i did find the ISBN numbers which might help someone latter

ISBN 10: 0697036022 / 0-697-03602-2
ISBN 13: 9780697036025

Keep in mind that there are two editions of the book: the 1st from the early 70's and the 2nd from the early 80's. The 2nd edition has much more information than the 1st, and is more valuable. I just searched Amazon with the ISBN numbers you've provided above, and none of the listings for used copies of this book mentioned which edition was for sale. Sometimes a picture of the cover is shown, which helps. The 1st edition is whitish with pink wavy lines (at least my copy is):

[/img]

The second edition will look like this (and cost more):
Kent
I'll second Spinach Pizza's post. My findings are the same and I've owned both editions.
starmandeluxe
The resources everyone has posted are great for something in-depth and time-consuming, but if you want to learn quick and dirty from square one, which I did, I found this video to be very helpful:

http://youtu.be/rcWllXKMfo0

About as basic as you can get, but I loved it. I'm going to check out the books too of course.
Synthasonic
Thanks for your kind words about my books, Babaluma! I'm honored to have been included on your list!!!

Sam E.
Babaluma
No worries Sam, thanks for your excellent resources, and cool modules!
BrotherTheo
Many moons ago Paia put out a book of patches. I've been trying to find a copy for years now. Anybody have one or know where to find one?
construct09
Regarding the Allen Strange book, can anyone tell me how many pages are in the second edition?
zeta
274, according to
http://www.abebooks.it/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=4675927496&searchurl=b si%3D30%26kn%3Delectronic%2Bmusic%2Ballen%26x%3D0%26y%3D0
causticlogic
I mentioned in another post that I was reading Hal Chamberlin's Musical Applications of Microprocessors. It's pretty much just theory and historical background but enjoyable nonetheless - it's 30 years old so you have to keep some things in context, but it's still an informative read. I recommend it if you come across it.
I definitely have to look into this book by Allen Strange. It seems like a good follow-up. Plus, I've found reference books always are a good idea.
Filch
johnnywoods wrote:
Quote:
if you're really hard core you'll hunt down a copy of allen strange's "electronic music: systems, techniques, controls" which is by far the best text i have ever come across dealing with modular synthesis. if you can't find an old hard copy you can download a .pdf from the publishers for about $15 here:

https://ebooks.primisonline.com/cgi/showebook.cgi?isbn=0390684635

I "found" a pdf version of this book and got a bound copy printed at Kinko's. Cost about $30 for the printing.

Well worth it. Amazing reference manual for all types of modular synthesis.

Appears this book is now selling for $130+ used by private sellers on Amazon. McGraw-Hill site doesn't seem to have this available anymore, even for digital download.

Am I missing something? Anyone care to help in locating a copy of this?
hollowman
another book worth owning is Analog synthesis by Reinhard Schmitz.
Covers all the basics with a cd covering the sounds to explain it further.

cheap, well written and well worth a read. thumbs up
smetak
Attempted to legally purchase it, but never found a site that offered the book - only used copies at very steep prices.

So, yes, got hold of an excellent PDF file for the sought-after second edition from a Spanish site dedicated to all things analogue. Printed the entire thing and had it bound.

Incidentally, excellent book.
craque
Yeah seriously considering a trip to kinkos myself, it's worth printing out and I need some good commute reading.
seanpark
If anyone has a mailing address for strange's widow I would love to send a note of appreciation for her husband's work. This text is phenomenal.

I hope with all the analog love and modular accessibility brewing these days McGraw or someone else sees fit to release either an updated version or a "hands-off" reprint. It would sell! I'd pay $80 for a nice copy.
smetak
I'm new to this and have been reading through the second edition of Strange's book - I can't really figure out why this is still out of print.
seanpark
I think because the material is very dated. All references are to literature decades old. The focus is modular synthesizers which until 2000 or so were sort of enigmatic and inaccessible.

Updating this book for the 21st century would be a daunting and likely unprofitable task. However McGraw could at least offer one-off reprints or something like that.
chaosium
Babaluma wrote:
nice to know some of that $30 went to help out allen's widow.

meh

do i have to resort to guilt tripping people every time someone posts about how great it is to steal copyrighted material?

sorry, nothing personal, just evokes my ire!

Rage! Rage! Rage!
don't worry, the publishers don't want nor need our money confused

diophantine wrote:
The Strange book (eBook) is no longer available for sale via McGraw-Hill. I've written to them to ask what the deal is.
d'ja ever get a response?
snadge
I ordered a copy of the Allen Strange book quite a few years back, cost me £80 it was a photocopy of the original and was sanctioned by the publishing house, the quality was shocking to say the least I got into a bit of bother with the publishing house when I scanned and uploaded some of it to the Nord Modular mailing list, I was given a cease and desist order.

One good thing came of it though, I did get into a private email discussion with Allen and he admitted that he was disgusted by this practice of the publishing house.

He also joined the Nord Mailing list, having not known about them previously.

Quote:

See above, I think there was hell to pay when Allen's lawyers took it up that they were selling photcopies at top tier prices and royalties were a pittance.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 2 of 7