MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sherman Filterbank love?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Sherman Filterbank love?
rean1mator
can someone explain the Trigger AR switch and what it does and what each setting actually maps to? the manual does a poor job of explaining.
Per manual:

A 3-way function switch in the LFO section allows sawtooth wave
shape or AR retriggering : this forces an LFO restart from the AR
trig with pumping grooves as unavoidable result. Try this in low
pass filter setting with LFO modulation.
stk
rean1mator wrote:
can someone explain the Trigger AR switch and what it does and what each setting actually maps to? the manual does a poor job of explaining.
Per manual:

A 3-way function switch in the LFO section allows sawtooth wave
shape or AR retriggering : this forces an LFO restart from the AR
trig with pumping grooves as unavoidable result. Try this in low
pass filter setting with LFO modulation.


In the right position, the LFO is a sawtooth shape.
In the center position, the LFO is a triangle shape.
In the left (AR) position, the LFO is a triangle shape that gets retriggered (restarted) every time the main ADSR envelope is triggered. Therefore the LFO becomes "kind of" synced to the transients of the incoming audio (depending on envelope sensitivity settings).

Hope that helps smile
PapaG
How many permanent patchbay connections, if any, are required for the Filterbank 2 aside from the usual mono in and out?

I'm about to set up a permanent studio patchbay and need to sort out the cabling in the next few days before the Filterbank arrives.
stk
PapaG wrote:
How many permanent patchbay connections, if any, are required for the Filterbank 2 aside from the usual mono in and out?

I'm about to set up a permanent studio patchbay and need to sort out the cabling in the next few days before the Filterbank arrives.


SFB2 has single mono in and dual out, one for each filter. Then there's the aux inputs: Pedal (aka bypass), Filter FM, VCA AM, Filter Envelope Trigger, VCA Envelope Trigger. And the aux outputs: Filter Envelope and LFO (if you have the rack version). And then there's the Link input and output, if you are synchronising multiple units.

I'd recommend grabbing a mnaual and panel diagram to accurately plan your patchbay from here: http://www.sherman.be/index.php/support/downloads

PS: "permanent" patch bay is permanent until the next big refactor, this is a known law of nature wink

Cheers,
Skye
PapaG
stk wrote:
PapaG wrote:
How many permanent patchbay connections, if any, are required for the Filterbank 2 aside from the usual mono in and out?

I'm about to set up a permanent studio patchbay and need to sort out the cabling in the next few days before the Filterbank arrives.


SFB2 has single mono in and dual out, one for each filter. Then there's the aux inputs: Pedal (aka bypass), Filter FM, VCA AM, Filter Envelope Trigger, VCA Envelope Trigger. And the aux outputs: Filter Envelope and LFO (if you have the rack version). And then there's the Link input and output, if you are synchronising multiple units.

I'd recommend grabbing a mnaual and panel diagram to accurately plan your patchbay from here: http://www.sherman.be/index.php/support/downloads

PS: "permanent" patch bay is permanent until the next big refactor, this is a known law of nature wink

Cheers,
Skye



Thanks you so much for this. One important question - does permanently patching in any of the other ins/outs cause any problems in that a connected patch might disconnect an internal routing on the device. Or can the Filterbank live with everything permanently patched?

Thanks once again.
m127
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
sascha.victoria wrote:
Anyone have the Restyler?


Good point. Not much talk about the Restyler is there?


Is that because it seems primarily aimed at the DJ market seriously, i just don't get it
I don't know? Seems like the perfect filter for live performance.


I am basically a mole in the DJ market and have "stolen" several of "their" devices for naturally selfish purposes, but yeah, the Restyler is surely more hands-on for a live situation without much thinking about it (nonetheless, whoever doesnt get into a "live situation" when composing in the studio is a despicable wiggler). The Sherman sure can be that but it does require some serious study if you have any ambition to milk its true great power.
I have a basically a quad Sherman (2x2 plus rack plus desktop), but I have yet to delve into the 96dB filtering kingdom... The realm of the Sherman FB is just vast... .

I don't love it,
I revere it,
nearly worship it really.





.
m127
PapaG wrote:
How many permanent patchbay connections, if any, are required for the Filterbank 2 aside from the usual mono in and out?

I'm about to set up a permanent studio patchbay and need to sort out the cabling in the next few days before the Filterbank arrives.


I am sure you have your reasons, but I would never patchbay a Sherman, I mean, isn't it its own patchbay? It's a big fat self-contained eurorack module basically, with more holes than the best Swiss cheese job to date, really...


What model did you order?
I saw the new one, which is definitely more portable with "holes" on top. I am eyeing it, but I can't justify having 5 Shermans other than further showing my support for Hermann as a superfan of his work.


EDIT:
Just saw your other question to Skye:

Quote:
One important question - does permanently patching in any of the other ins/outs cause any problems in that a connected patch might disconnect an internal routing on the device. Or can the Filterbank live with everything permanently patched?


Yeah, this is a good question, and a good reason not to do it. Some of the "holes" (smile) are "active" and change the topology of the device in some cases.... Yeah, just don't do it! Or only the mono IO's if you have to...


Although if the guy you were asking originally tells you to go live in an igloo, I would just do it because he alone produces the finest electronica in the whole AUS since many years ago.





.


.
Faru
love my filterbank. Took me some time to get into it, but now use it on almost everything smile thanks for sharing this video! finally a good one about the FB2

platform wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Some really lovely and subtle stuff going on in this new video. Who knew a standard DAW osc could sound so nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP-qv7OCPOA


this vid goes quite deeply into how one feller uses it on pads.

let's see if I can embed it

DanielW
Faru wrote:
love my filterbank. Took me some time to get into it, but now use it on almost everything smile thanks for sharing this video! finally a good one about the FB2

platform wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Some really lovely and subtle stuff going on in this new video. Who knew a standard DAW osc could sound so nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP-qv7OCPOA


this vid goes quite deeply into how one feller uses it on pads.

let's see if I can embed it



I'm on my third FB now, have previously had and sold first a tabletop and then a rack. Got a new rack FB yesterday. This video truly is one of the best tutorials around.

One thing though, he triggers the envelopes with a steady incoming signal, I believe it's CV? Could it be done with midi as well?

If I understand correctly, triggering the envelopes with a steady signal would allow for real quiet sound to be filtered? Because I have a problem with the FB, the out signal is to hot, and neither my Octatrack nor my sound card can handle it without distortion.
High Wolf
DanielW wrote:


One thing though, he triggers the envelopes with a steady incoming signal, I believe it's CV? Could it be done with midi as well?



I never succeeded with triggering the enveloppes via Midi. No problem to control other parameters such as cutoff or resonance, but I can't get why I can't trig via midi. Manual says certain note do it (F#4 for ADSR, A#4 for AR), but when I send those nothing happens...It works with external trigger though from my modular. But I'd like to control everything with my Midi controller.
kwil
You can trigger the envelopes via MIDI, was doing this a couple of weeks ago.

It's on page 50 of the manual.

http://www.sherman.be/index.php/support/downloads/item/sherman-filterb ank-v2-manual-english

You might want to block the audio triggers first using C4 and D4. Then MIDI will trigger the envelopes exclusively via F#4 and A#4 or G#4 for both.

Note the default MIDI channel on power-on is 16 (pg 44).
High Wolf
kwil wrote:
You can trigger the envelopes via MIDI, was doing this a couple of weeks ago.

It's on page 50 of the manual.

http://www.sherman.be/index.php/support/downloads/item/sherman-filterb ank-v2-manual-english

You might want to block the audio triggers first using C4 and D4. Then MIDI will trigger the envelopes exclusively via F#4 and A#4 or G#4 for both.

Note the default MIDI channel on power-on is 16 (pg 44).


See my message above about my issues with this in case you missed it.

So if I get this right, you'd use a polyphonic controller, and, to trigger the ADSR env send both a C4 and a F#4?
kwil
High Wolf wrote:


So if I get this right, you'd use a polyphonic controller, and, to trigger the ADSR env send both a C4 and a F#4?



Were you transmitting on midi channel 16?

Trigger the ADSR trigger with F#4 and the AR trigger with A#4.

Or use G#4 to trigger both envelopes at the same time.

Try G#4.
High Wolf
Yes channel 16, as said no problem with other midi parameters such as cutoff freq or res. Trying again as we speak and sending C4 doesn't block the audio trigger for the adsr, nor F#4 triggers it...I just don't get it. Note that I'm using the newer compact version.
kwil
High Wolf wrote:
Yes channel 16, as said no problem with other midi parameters such as cutoff freq or res. Trying again as we speak and sending C4 doesn't block the audio trigger for the adsr, nor F#4 triggers it...I just don't get it. Note that I'm using the newer compact version.


I have the compact version as well, have you tried some different octaves such as G#3 and G#5.

Midi note numbering is not consistent between manufacturers.
High Wolf
Yes actually is octave 6 that works here... we're not worthy So stoked it works hyper
kwil
Great stuff smile
DanielW
High Wolf wrote:
DanielW wrote:


One thing though, he triggers the envelopes with a steady incoming signal, I believe it's CV? Could it be done with midi as well?



I never succeeded with triggering the enveloppes via Midi. No problem to control other parameters such as cutoff or resonance, but I can't get why I can't trig via midi. Manual says certain note do it (F#4 for ADSR, A#4 for AR), but when I send those nothing happens...It works with external trigger though from my modular. But I'd like to control everything with my Midi controller.


No luck here either. Not when I try to disable audio triggering of envelopes either (C#4 and D#4).

Midi channel on the FB is 16 on startup, and I have set the Octatrack to send on the same channel. Nothing.
kwil
[quote="DanielW"][quote="High Wolf"]
DanielW wrote:

No luck here either. Not when I try to disable audio triggering of envelopes either (C#4 and D#4).

Midi channel on the FB is 16 on startup, and I have set the Octatrack to send on the same channel. Nothing.


Try the notes on other octaves such G#3, G#5, G#6 ...
DanielW
[quote="kwil"][quote="DanielW"]
High Wolf wrote:
DanielW wrote:

No luck here either. Not when I try to disable audio triggering of envelopes either (C#4 and D#4).

Midi channel on the FB is 16 on startup, and I have set the Octatrack to send on the same channel. Nothing.


Try the notes on other octaves such G#3, G#5, G#6 ...


OK, I'll try that. Had NO idea a C#4 wasn't always a C#4.
High Wolf
[quote="DanielW"][quote="kwil"]
DanielW wrote:
High Wolf wrote:
DanielW wrote:

No luck here either. Not when I try to disable audio triggering of envelopes either (C#4 and D#4).

Midi channel on the FB is 16 on startup, and I have set the Octatrack to send on the same channel. Nothing.


Try the notes on other octaves such G#3, G#5, G#6 ...


OK, I'll try that. Had NO idea a C#4 wasn't always a C#4.


Octatrack might be G#6 (it is on the Digitakt)
DanielW
[quote="kwil"][quote="DanielW"]
High Wolf wrote:
DanielW wrote:

No luck here either. Not when I try to disable audio triggering of envelopes either (C#4 and D#4).

Midi channel on the FB is 16 on startup, and I have set the Octatrack to send on the same channel. Nothing.


Try the notes on other octaves such G#3, G#5, G#6 ...


Appears to be octave 5 on the Octatrack.

Really great tip, now it works!
kwil
Cool, there are a number of conventions for midi note numbering which can cause confusion.
m127
kwil wrote:
Cool, there are a number of conventions for midi note numbering which can cause confusion.


Well, it's not the conventions causing confusion, it's big corporations' inability to stick to conventions due to a shallow power (dyck waving) contest that never ends.

It's also due to this stupid contest why MIDI never made it to the next level. We are talking about a protocol that hasn't been significantly upgraded since +40 years ago.


.
Panason
m127 wrote:


It's also due to this stupid contest why MIDI never made it to the next level. We are talking about a protocol that hasn't been significantly upgraded since +40 years ago.



It has recently been updated with some nice spec (capability inquiry and more) but synth manufacturers are showing no desire to spend any money on updating their own shit...

MIDI fucking sucks. It really needs a total overhaul to increase the resolution (only 127 values for CCs doesn't do it and NPRNs are awkward and largely unsupported) and the bandwidth. It's primitive and the MIDI USB implementation is a bad joke. We still have almost no synths with a MIDI host port so you can't just plug in a USB keyboard... which is what USB was supposed to be all about... plug 'n' fuckin play! angry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 4 of 5
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group