MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sherman Filterbank love?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Sherman Filterbank love?
TrondC
Just love my FB2, so much gnarlyness happening in that box.. However, I am feeling that I am not getting the most out of it, as I always tend to use ot for the same thing only, which is processing my machinedrum (a job it does insanely good tho). I use the A4 cv outs or the Machinedrum impulse machines to simply trigger the ADSR of the FB2, which is great for rythmic distorted, screaming resonant funk.

Did anyone here ever try to make a kickdrum with the FB only? or any other intersting uses besides the obvious? I guess what I'm trying to say here: let's hear some cool uses of the filterbank!

-T
TrondC
really? I thought theese were more popular amongst eurorack heads.. seriously, i just don't get it
CF3
I'm 100% sure if you do a search you'll find many threads on the Sherman Filterbank. Definitely still one of the best FSU boxes out there.
stk
Yep, several other "love" threads for the SFB. I have three thumbs up
Fnord
I have a QMF. I wish it was full on modular and didn't have midi, because I like CV more betterer, but when it came out, there wasn't a lot of modular going on. Certainly a cool filter though.
h4ndcrafted
Just watched this, there is a part 2.
iVardensphere
I find putting simple things through it to be where the real magic is. A snare or a hat pattern can be made to sound like nothing previously intended but it still has the soul of the original sound. I especially like this with adding grit to basslines.

Also, that LFO retrigger 'pumping' trick is awesome. smile

I use mine with a Machinedrum as well. Such a killer combination.
sascha.victoria
Anyone have the Restyler?
Paranormal Patroler
sascha.victoria wrote:

Good point. Not much talk about the Restyler is there?
h4ndcrafted
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
sascha.victoria wrote:

Good point. Not much talk about the Restyler is there?

Is that because it seems primarily aimed at the DJ market seriously, i just don't get it
I don't know? Seems like the perfect filter for live performance.
Kytopia
I have the restyler. it's a very nice DJ/live tool. not really comparable to the filterbank but it definitely stands out as a live filter tool. even know guys who used it for mastering purposes (tho that would not really be an option for me hmmm..... )

I also have the filterbank but since I got deeper into euro stuff, I noticed both my sherman and my ebbe und flut gathering dust in a corner right now. kinda sad really...
TrondC
iVardensphere wrote:
I find putting simple things through it to be where the real magic is. A snare or a hat pattern can be made to sound like nothing previously intended but it still has the soul of the original sound. I especially like this with adding grit to basslines.

No entirely sure what you mean by LFO retrigger pumping trick, can you elaborate?
Morley
He built the prototype in an ice cream tub and I tested it on my Serge modular (in which he also fitted a chaos bank). I thought it was mental. He took it back alas :-(
It's a unique filter. Not one I use often as my music is not really suited BUT for the odd sound, I love it. For some, it's exactly what the DR ordered. A unique piece and the work of a genius.
I think the Restyler is wonderful. Nothing to do with the filterbank but much easier to use on a wide variety of things. I would say it's as at home in the studio as for a DJ.
stk
TrondC wrote:
iVardensphere wrote:

No entirely sure what you mean by LFO retrigger pumping trick, can you elaborate?

I can't speak for the OP, but I'm guessing;

You can set up the lfo to retrigger from envelope triggers (which are triggered by incoming audio hitting the trigger threshold). Therefore with some careful tweaking you can get the LFO pumping in time with incoming beats.

I've been using mine a lot lately to just add layers of delicious, Sherman-flavoured hiss to some dubby techno stuff I've been making. Inserted on an aux return on my desk.

Depending on how much of what source you send it (and again, subtlety is the key), it can respond somewhat like overdriven analogue tape (hiss gets modulated / ducked by sustained bassy signals).

tl;dr / In my heart, the SFB occupies the same space as the Jomox T-Resonator: crazy genius, much misunderstood, thrives on subtlety SlayerBadger!
seeasound
Sherman Flavoured Hiss, man i love it....

ive had a mates around for awhile and i use it with everything. Just the other day i got some crazy phys-mod type percussive patch with that harmonic locked resonance shit....like all well designed gear... infinite surpise!

I really doubt i can give it back.
h4ndcrafted
Anybody know of some demos where it is just used to beef up drums without going mad. One of the Niio Iotines distortions was perfect for this, but after duty and tax it is just not worth it for what I would get out.

People say the sherman can be subtle, but I cant find any demos showing this.
stk
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Anybody know of some demos where it is just used to beef up drums without going mad. One of the Niio Iotines distortions was perfect for this, but after duty and tax it is just not worth it for what I would get out.

People say the sherman can be subtle, but I cant find any demos showing this.

This is a riddim I was working on a while back;

[s]https://soundcloud.com/stk/20141026a[/s]

The drums consist of an 808 kick sample, and bog standard sidestick and hihat samples. They are fed to separate channels on my mixer, and auxed to the Sherman in varying amounts. All the rest of the grit and hiss is the SFB (bass is a sine wave, also sent to Sherman aux a little, chord skank is Pro53 plugin).

I don't have a naked example, but I assure you it was pretty dull sounding.

Cheers
zam
Tasty beats as always stk Guinness ftw!
stressstest
I feel the OP on this. Love my SFB2 but always end up using it so much up rhythm tracks, which of course, it does do insanely well. I've been on the fence about selling mine because I think "damn, I could probably put $550 to much more versatile use in the studio". But then I turn it on, listen to what it does to a snare and decide to keep it around.
There are a few "gear you can't seem to part with" threads on the board, and you see the FB come up pretty regularly within them. I've had mine for about a year now and I'm beginning to understand why.
h4ndcrafted
Thanks for the demo STK thumbs up
kwaidan
After listening to stk's sound clip, I happened to find a used filterbank 2, and, well, bought it. This thing is amazing. The majority of videos on YouTube do not even begin to do it justice--It's basically a complete synth minus the VCOs.
stk
kwaidan wrote:
After listening to stk's sound clip, I happened to find a used filterbank 2, and, well, bought it. This thing is amazing. The majority of videos on YouTube do not even begin to do it justice--It's basically a complete synth minus the VCOs.

hihi glad I could help. It is indeed a (somewhat moody, mildly psychotic) synth without oscillators.

As you can see, I kind of have an unhealthy love affair with the thing;

<- Synth side ...................................................................... ...................................................................... .................................................... Dub side ->

Paranormal Patroler
Excellent track stk. There aren't many examples of a subtle use of the SFB going around. What amazes me is that your Dub side has a bunch of noise makers and no limiting (at least as far as I can see). Living on the edge, are we? hihi
iVardensphere
I used a Restyler for a while buy only once live (and I do a lot of live shows). The main reason being that the dynamic range on the output can quickly get crazy. It's the resonance on the filter. You turn that resonance up and do a filter sweep without some sort of limited in the chain after it and you can quickly fry something (or someone). It's a really funky little machine, though. Lots of fun in the studio. thumbs up
Cat-A-Tonic
There's lots of subtle use of the Restyler in this track:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/decay-generator/hikoshi-bimbo[/s]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4