MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any plumbutter owners in London?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Any plumbutter owners in London?
Krispy
Just wondering if there are any plumbutter owners in London who have mastered the little beast? Rockin' Banana!
mrbloor
yes, I have two thumbs up
kozepz
mrbloor wrote:

yeah that's fine,...but mastered? twisted
mrbloor
kozepz wrote:
mrbloor wrote:

Ha,ha, indeed. Enough to scrape by hihi
Dirty_Bill
mrbloor wrote:
kozepz wrote:
mrbloor wrote:

Unless there's a challenger, that's enough to make you 'London's Foremost Master of the Dual Plumbutter'
mrbloor
Dirty_Bill wrote:
mrbloor wrote:
kozepz wrote:
mrbloor wrote:

Unless there's a challenger, that's enough to make you 'London's Foremost Master of the Dual Plumbutter'

Ha, I'll take that Bill and be content that, if I never do anything else productive in my life, at least I reached that lofty title hihi
chrisdermo
Do you ever perform anywhere Mr Bloor? I'm yet to hear a Plumbutter in the flesh! I've never seen anyone in london perform with ciat Lonbarde stuff, was starting to think my tetrax was the only CL in the city!
mrbloor
chrisdermo wrote:
Do you ever perform anywhere Mr Bloor? I'm yet to hear a Plumbutter in the flesh! I've never seen anyone in london perform with ciat Lonbarde stuff, was starting to think my tetrax was the only CL in the city!

Yes I have performed out. Recently I have been performing in a group led by David Toop, usually with cocoquantus, sometimes sidrax or tetrax, sometimes phasi. The last gig with just me was local (SE) at one of drummer Charles Hayward's evenings, with 2 plums & a coco (careful how I type that).
I will be performing with cocoquantus & pedals and a self made artificial intelligence at this
Bodies that matter
This is my final degree show. I'm going to be putting myself about a lot more next year.
kozepz
mrbloor wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:

Yes I have performed out. Recently I have been performing in a group led by David Toop, usually with cocoquantus, sometimes sidrax or tetrax, sometimes phasi. The last gig with just me was local (SE) at one of drummer Charles Hayward's evenings, with 2 plums & a coco (careful how I type that).
I will be performing with cocoquantus & pedals and a self made artificial intelligence at this
Bodies that matter
This is my final degree show. I'm going to be putting myself about a lot more next year.

Succes with the show David!
I've been reading the post, very interesting.

"David Bloor’s Care Work is an ongoing daily performance with a self-made artificial intelligence device that questions our dependency and yet detached position from the intelligent systems we increasingly rely on."

Would love to see and hear your approach on it.
Just recently started reading Superintelligence from Nick Bostrom, which scrapes the subject.
mrbloor
"David Bloor’s Care Work is an ongoing daily performance with a self-made artificial intelligence device that questions our dependency and yet detached position from the intelligent systems we increasingly rely on."

cheers Remco, that quote doesn't quite sum up the work for me, but I was too lazy to question it with the curator hihi

Steve Grand wrote an interesting book on AI, Creation: Life and how to make it in it he says amongst other things “Deep down, perhaps what really frightens people about artificial life and AI is not so much the machines running amok, but what the very possibility of such things say about us, as human beings”.

My machine can be likened to a simple organism, very good at performing a set of coded instructions. My work in performing with it is one of nurture & care.
It's a follow on from 31yrs providing opportunity and support for groups of people with a physical or learning disability, I'm not saying these people are 'simple' but in my experience, given the right support, they can do amazing work.
Regarding technology, looking at the research of Sherry Turkle from MIT and the studies she did with children's interactions with AI is really interesting. Most of the time the technology didn't work properly but the kids saw things a lot differently, often making excuses for the AI and saying it was their own failings, either they couldn't understand or explain well enough.
I suppose I question the use of technology in that everything these days has to be 'faster' or 'better', it doesn't, surely whats more important is that it does it's job, has no negative impact and if it breaks we have the power to fix it rather than throw it away. Maybe I'm just old fashioned hihi
Dirty_Bill
LIKE oops, wrong online community...
mrbloor
Dirty_Bill wrote:
LIKE oops, wrong online community...

applause phew, yes Bill was in grave danger of disappearing up my own arse then.
God, I love this group and to be perfectly honest I'll be glad when it goes back to making strange noises and not having to write stuff about it. w00t
supergregg
I'm in north west London and have some ciat stuff if you want to jam some time and exchange tips. I've got a plumbutter 2, cocoquantus, tetrax, sidrassi qin, and shnth. About to go on a long holiday but will be around in the new year.
chrisdermo
Ah awesome! We should get a London CL performances/meet up thread going.
Mrbloor let me know when you have performances coming up, I'll try make it to bodies that matter - sounds like a great event!
kozepz
Thanks David!
Its not exactly easy to summarise, so you’re forgiven. hihi
I will check the book and MIT research, sounds interesting, and you made me curious about the looks of your machine.
mrbloor
deffo up for a London meet in the new year thumbs up

it's about the size of a suitcase, got to put a removable lid on & handle so I can carry it around on public transport.

wednesdayayay
What is this intimidating looking construction?
kozepz
Thats looking pretty neat David! applause applause
Perfect coco food, and good to see you've included a diddley bow Guinness ftw!
dlozanothornton
Is anyone in the north of england with ciat-lonbarde?
I bet anyone one bottle of fine Belgian blonde beer that noone owns anything by ciat lonbarde in york or newcastle.

answers on a postcard to my pm inbox.
adammokan
mrbloor wrote:
Steve Grand wrote an interesting book on AI, Creation: Life and how to make it in it he says amongst other things “Deep down, perhaps what really frightens people about artificial life and AI is not so much the machines running amok, but what the very possibility of such things say about us, as human beings”.

Just stumbled on this thread, but love Steve Grand's work and his writing. I realized recently he was/is living not too far from me in Arizona. I'm sure I've read that Creation book and his book about Lucy (the hardware AI 'bot' he was building) at least 2-3 times each over the years.
Carl Hungus
I'm in Kent about 40 min away from London Bridge, with a Plum 2 and Cocquantus 1.

But then you wrote "mastered" and that's not applicable!

Feel free to PM if there is a London meet up.
mrbloor
I will be performing a duet with Rahel Kraft at this event in April if any Londoners are around, it would be great to meet you.

My probable setup will be plumbutter & toy piano.

http://www.linearobsessional.org/blog/linear-obsessional-live-6

[/img]
chrisdermo
I'm still yet to see any Ciat performances in London (kinda went off muffwiggler grid for a couple of years d'oh! ) .

Please everyone post your shows here if there are any happening!

Similarly I think a London/UK Ciat Lonbarde meetup would be super fun. I still only have a Tetrax but I also have a Double Knot, Voltage Memory, Arcade Manifold, Old Mr Grassi with a VTOL Garmonbozia incoming. So still lots Ciat/Banana based funs to be had.
Anyone ever organized anything like that before?
xahdrez
I'm due to play at vinyl deptford on 7th may - full details to follow! thumbs up
mrbloor
xahdrez wrote:
I'm due to play at vinyl deptford on 7th may - full details to follow! thumbs up

That is about 10mins walk from my house, what is the event & please post a thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2