MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[SHIPPING] Mutant Hot Glue (mix, dist, comp)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]

What DIY form/qty might you be interested in?
(1) PCB set + 24HP euro panel (~$79)
48%
 48%  [ 53 ]
(1) full eurorack kit (~$199)
47%
 47%  [ 52 ]
(more than one) PCB set + 24HP euro panel
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
(more than one) full eurorack kit
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 110

Author [SHIPPING] Mutant Hot Glue (mix, dist, comp)
hexinverter
Good morning wigglers!

I've got a new DIY project in the pipeline that you may have heard of already by now: the Mutant Hot Glue! It's a bus mixer w/ FX sends, parallel/sidechain analog compressor and voltage controlled distortion all packed into one handy module. (scroll to the bottom for full description!)

Full kits and pcb/panel sets are now available in the shop! http://store.hexinverter.net/

Check out the batteryACID demos on my project site for an idea of the sounds the distortion and compressor are capable of, as it's an improved version of that circuit employed in this design.

ADD IT TO YOUR MODULARGRID HERE: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/hexinverter-net-mutant-hot-glue

FULL MODULE DESCRIPTION

analog bus mixer with hi-fi compressor and voltage controlled distortion

The Mutant Hot Glue is a powerful bus mixer for analog effects chain design. The included high quality analog compressor offers series or parallel compression, and a sidechain input, making it well suited for drum processing. The voltage controlled distortion is based on the batteryACID: IDOW Edition design, but improved for better signal fidelity and performance. It can be used in its default position, normalized to the effects send, or like every other part of the module, broken out and used elsewhere in your modular system.

By default, the 4 channel mixer’s output conveniently feeds into the compressor’s input, giving access to easy New York style parallel compression by way of the compressor blend control. The dedicated output and mixer bypass switch for channel A allow you to easily use it as a sidechain source for the compressor. An effects send and return allow you to create complex effects routings within your modular system. With the number of excellent DSP and other effects modules on the market today, this makes it easy to combine modules to great effect, all within the eurorack modular domain.

4 channel mixer with effects send
• 4 input channels, each with their own level and effects send control
• Channel A mixer bypass switch and dedicated output for easy sidechain compression
• Channel B is dual input, but shares level/send controls (for dual output modules, like the Mutant Hihats)
• Channel C+D summed output
• Main mixer output normalized to compressor input

hi-fidelity analog compressor
• Soft-knee compressor based on the same family of premium audio ICs used in some 500 Series studio gear
• Blend control lets you adjust the dry/wet mix of the compressor, allowing for easy New York-style parallel compression
• Dedicated threshold and compression ratio controls
• Gain control dials in up to +20dB of compressor gain
• Compressor sidechain input for pumping effects
• LED indicator actively displays the amount of compressor gain reduction

voltage controlled analog distortion effect
• A classic distortion topology reborn for modular analog synthesizers and drum processing
• In/Outputs are conveniently normalized to the module’s send and return jacks
• Blend control lets you adjust the mix of distorted and clean input signal
• Fast responding CV input allows for complex modulation patterns and even modulating with audio signals
moonagedaydream
Any chance of a kit with PCB and all components, but minus the panel?
hexinverter
moonagedaydream wrote:
Any chance of a kit with PCB and all components, but minus the panel?

I can do that custom for you yes! It will subtract $20-30 from the kit price, which I have yet to determine (will know once I get the panels shipped here and paid for)
far
I put down the diy kit, looks cool... but why no pans?
It's what my system needs, especially when putting a few drum channels in the mix.
Is it possible at some point for another version with pans on each channel and a left/ right out?

Only asking as I love your stuff, but no pans leaves me scratching my head.
kisielk
I'd prefer a full kit. I loved building your other DIY projects but sourcing parts is a huge pain in the ass smile
hexinverter
far wrote:
I put down the diy kit, looks cool... but why no pans?
It's what my system needs, especially when putting a few drum channels in the mix.
Is it possible at some point for another version with pans on each channel and a left/ right out?

Only asking as I love your stuff, but no pans leaves me scratching my head.

Totally pans would rock! But, pans = more knobs! Look how many there are already. smile

I designed this with the philosophy of it being a utility mixer and FX chain designer, rather than an output mixer with panning (hence the no 1/4" out balanced outputs). It's priced accordingly too. To add equal power panning (which you would want if voltage controlling it) would really add to expense.
horstronic
Yay!
I'm looking forward to this!
Pan knobs would be nice, but I can totally understand that decision.
phidelity
Oh hell yeah! I want this kit so bad that I've been checking the hexinverter site for updates to see if it might be released as a kit. I would do 2-3 of these (one for me and a couple for my non-soldering wiggler friends)

Stoked for the NAMM announcement as well...whatever that is.
Feed
Put me down for two please.
frankaponte
absolutely down for a set of pcb's and a panel!
Rick Burnett
Put me down for Full Euro Kit smile
b-art
I assume there is going to be a mouser cart again?

If the price of full kits is roughly close to the mouser cart price then i prefer a full kit.

Ofcourse i would be happy to pay for your resourcing efforts, that being said, a full kit equals less environmental impact... one transport instead of 3 a 4... (mouser/tayda/thonk/hexinverter).

Anyhow i am down for either a pcb + panel or full kit depending on the price difference (poor man here, not a cheapskate)... I voted for a full kit...

Can't wait to see the other module we are all desperately waiting for grin
jh0n
i'm in for a panel/pcb!
hexinverter
b-art wrote:
I assume there is going to be a mouser cart again?

If the price of full kits is roughly close to the mouser cart price then i prefer a full kit.

Ofcourse i would be happy to pay for your resourcing efforts, that being said, a full kit equals less environmental impact... one transport instead of 3 a 4... (mouser/tayda/thonk/hexinverter).

Anyhow i am down for either a pcb + panel or full kit depending on the price difference (poor man here, not a cheapskate)... I voted for a full kit...

Can't wait to see the other module we are all desperately waiting for grin

I'm still doing some number crunching behind the scenes here but retail built will be around $399, full kits $199 and pcb/panel $79 (give or take, depending on demand and some things I have yet to quote)
Bluebottle
I'm up for a Panel / PCB Set
paperCUT
I'd get a full kit just to save time, dont mind paying a bit more for it.

BTW this is one of the best modules I've seen for my setup, awesome potential to glue things together. thumbs up I'd love to see a small breakout that combines 2 of these for stereo in a simple way, nothing crazy just less cables 8_)

Edit: Glue is the perfect name for this module, didn't notice until now grin
thelizard
$79 for panel + PCB? I'm totally in!
comradejames858
Can't wait!
Neutron7
I would like a full kit. Hexinverter kits are really nice to build.
leterell
a full kit please ASAP. how can it come about so often that a module designer knows what i want better than i do? hyper
Blootaka
I am interested in the panel + pcb set, but I just don't know if I can squeeze this one in or not yet. I'm sure these will be available for a while!

I guess it depends on your next module, and any other mutants that may come after. Also if my drum rack goes to 84hp or 104.. Dead Banana
hexinverter
So here is a teaser of the next Mutant coming at NAMM in a few weeks. Stay tuned for the DIY thread for that one as well screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo

Masarin
I'm sure I'll go for a PCB and a panel. Can't vote though, low on posts... :-|
apoisontree
I'm in for a PCB+panel.
VDU
Im a lurker so can't vote in polls, but full kit fo sure!

must stop lurking...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6