MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

joyrider
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author joyrider

Kwote

damn this is some ol skoo shit but i had to mention it for those who haven't seen Grant's diy page yet,

http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/JoyRider/Joy%20Rider%20Manual.html

anyone on here own one?

here's the main page with all sorts of bad ass shit and a manual for the socket rocket in case you've missed it:

http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/DIY/Grant/grant_richters_synthdiy.htm

Muff Wiggler

i don't know if there was ever more than the prototype built

but it's basically two borg filters with a joystick setup for the cutoff freq

easy (and FUN!!) to patch up with two Borg filters and one Joystick module.

I'm glad the joystick got released on it's own instead of tied within a filter archetecture like this.... you can make joyrider filters or you can do other stuff with it. that's the way to go w00t

Kwote

Muff Wiggler wrote:
you can make joyrider filters or you can do other stuff with it. that's the way to go w00t

that was my thinking too. still cool nonetheless.

i've known about his DIY page for awhile but barely skimmed it. d'oh! what was i thinking.

making for a good morning's read Coffee Addiction FTW

thetwlo

yup, I think that was the first 1200 series module. I think only 9 were made, and Grant said he had a hard time selling those! Was $209-- if I recall.
It has the same PCB as Wiard Borg-- just not totally populated-- the two VCO/LFOs on the board are empty.
Still have mine it sounds great, of course, but can get out of control easily.

Kwote

thetwlo wrote:
yup, I think that was the first 1200 series module. I think only 9 were made, and Grant said he had a hard time selling those! Was $209-- if I recall.
It has the same PCB as Wiard Borg-- just not totally populated-- the two VCO/LFOs on the board are empty.

do you have any outta control soundclips?

thetwlo

hmmmm.... i'll try and find some clips, or make. As far as out of control--well that part isn't too exciting... nor accurate I guess. It's just tough to get it from jumping to seriously loud and piercing self oscillation--esp. since you're controlling 2 filters at once, and it lacks any adjustments of the joystick XY levels.
The Doepfer A-101-2 is similar and a bit rougher/less woody sounding and a bit more controllable.

Kwote

thetwlo wrote:
hmmmm.... i'll try and find some clips, or make. As far as out of control--well that part isn't too exciting... nor accurate I guess. It's just tough to get it from jumping to seriously loud and piercing self oscillation--esp. since you're controlling 2 filters at once, and it lacks any adjustments of the joystick XY levels.
The Doepfer A-101-2 is similar and a bit rougher/less woody sounding and a bit more controllable.

cool. i was just joking about the outta control. just really curious to here any wiard stuff right now. especially discontinued things.

appreciate it.

thetwlo

don't forget you can ride the Wayback Machine to find old Wiard site info here:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.wiard.com
(copy and paste the whole thing--too stupid to figure out how to make it clickable--as it sees two sites)

like this, don't remember thise one!!:
The "Weirding" module is a complete mono-synth in 300 module format. A front panel control allows "circuit bending" the voice into a chaotic system under voltage control. Sounds range from "phat" to "burning, melting and dripping phat". Available Fall 2001

parasitk

thetwlo wrote:
like this, don't remember thise one!!:
The "Weirding" module is a complete mono-synth in 300 module format. A front panel control allows "circuit bending" the voice into a chaotic system under voltage control. Sounds range from "phat" to "burning, melting and dripping phat". Available Fall 2001

Woah, that sounds pretty cool - plus you gotta love a Dune reference (even if it's just a movie reference).

Kwote

it doesn't wanna work for me. i'll try back later.

ooh that joyrider looks cool with davies in blue.

el clon

"violating Nyquist for yr listening/dancing pleasure."

that's rad. SlayerBadger!

thanks for the link!
really cool to see all that old stuff, but kinda breaks my heart to think that the stuff was literally HALF PRICE a few years ago... d'oh!

and i was blowing $$ on nice monitors and channel strips that are still the same price. *sigh*

wetterberg

I have a stack of joysticks just waiting to be diy'd into my modular smile I have so many I am selling a few, too. pm me if any of you want to undertake the 1209b
http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/Joystick/1209.htm

fluxmonkey

Muff Wiggler wrote:
i don't know if there was ever more than the prototype built

but it's basically two borg filters with a joystick setup for the cutoff freq

easy (and FUN!!) to patch up with two Borg filters and one Joystick module.

are the 2 filters in series? or parallel?

b

Muff Wiggler

not sure.... if you patch up your own you can do it either way though 8)

chachi

thetwlo wrote:

there were 11 made.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1