MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Electronicmusic.com interviewed me
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Author Electronicmusic.com interviewed me
mmm
If any of you want a glimpse at us Seattle area module manufacturers, electronicmusic.com conducted web interviews with us.

Mine is:
http://www.electronicmusic.com/features/interview/georgemattson.html

They also interviewed Steve Turnidge and James Husted of Synthwerks, Flight, from Flight of Harmony and Scott Rise of Division-6. I think Sebastion Jaeger from The Harvestman is being interviewed also but, I don't see his interview posted yet.

Click on the interviews link for a listing.

Mattson Mini Modular
bwhittington
Quote:
electronicmusic.com: How easy is it to make the US version sized module as opposed to eurorack?

Who wrote these questions, Ali G?
mmm
I could have just ignored it. But, thought I'd set a thought path in the interviewer.

That was nothing. Some inquiries I get are real doozies. But, I have to figure out what they're trying to ask and hope I answer it correctly.
computer controlled
I take it there's a template for all these interviews, as most of the questions are the same through all of them. Not very in depth questions, that's for sure, but fun reads =o]
bwhittington
mmm wrote:
I could have just ignored it. But, thought I'd set a thought path in the interviewer.

That was nothing. Some inquiries I get are real doozies. But, I have to figure out what they're trying to ask and hope I answer it correctly.

Your response was perfect.

I get that most general media inquiries are made by people who know little more about a topic than they might have picked up from skimming a press release, but that seemed like a funny question from an "electronic music" site. Though, looking at the site, I guess it is broader than a synth forum.

Cheers,
Brian
mmm
It was the same form they used for the Synthwerks interview.

They did allow us to delete what we didn't want to answer or, add other questions. But then, it wouldn't be an interview, wouldn't it?

I had the opportunity to tell my back story so, at least I have a place to send people.

I'd say it was perfect.....I said it confused me so, I just made my own lol

Mattson Mini Modular
BananaPlug
Quote:
George Mattson: I started learning electronics and music when I was 10 years old. I was one of the youngest Amateur Radio Operators in the US and was learning classical and Flamenco guitar.

Ha. You're a cross between my two brothers; one had a ham radio rig and the other plucked the nylon strings. Neither is much into electronic music though.
Noah Vail
Shame on me, George, for not finding you while I still wrote Vintage Synths columns for Keyboard magazine. d'oh! Featuring the Syntar would have been an honor and a feather in my cap.

How excellent that you're now making modular systems! I'm working on a new book about synthesizers of all kinds and would like to interview you myself for the book in the near future.

Congratulations on your success as a modular maker! applause

Mark Vail
[url]MarkVail.com[/url]
carbon111
Noah Vail wrote:
How excellent that you're now making modular systems! I'm working on a new book about synthesizers of all kinds and would like to interview you myself for the book in the near future.

I've a couple resources regarding my pal George and his synths if you're interested:

http://www.carbon111.com/syntar.html

http://www.carbon111.com/mmm.html

SlayerBadger!
mmm
Noah Vail wrote:
Shame on me, George, for not finding you while I still wrote Vintage Synths columns for Keyboard magazine. d'oh! Featuring the Syntar would have been an honor and a feather in my cap.

Congratulations on your success as a modular maker! applause

Mark Vail
[url]MarkVail.com[/url]

Yeah, carbon111 grilled me pretty hard for that info hihi

But, I was pretty well hidden for a long time. It wasn't until I was told that Michael Garrison had died that I started crawling back into the art.

You did put me in your book. You have that keyboard mag pic from the 1980 NAMM where it looks like I'm scratching my A-- woah

My first pic in a national rag and I had to be picking my butt sad banana

However, what I don't have is an autographed copy. I have Peter F's A-Z and I have a pre-production signed copy of Devarahi's Complete Guide that he signed and sent it to me to proof read prior to publication. Except, the working title at the time was the "Secret Guide..." until the publisher changed it. I'll miss him. RIP.

But, sure. I can yak at you smile It would be a pleasure.

Thanks Mark

Mattson Mini Modular
mmm
Carbon, we going to see you at the AES presentation on Wed night?
mmm
Mark, you should come up to the AES presentation Wednesday at the Microsoft Studio's. There will be all 5 of us Seattle area module manufacturers there.

You could write it off as a biz trip. nanners
Noah Vail
Thank you very much for the invitation, George. I'd love to be there, but I teach classes on Propellerhead Reason to middle and high school students at a private school here in Sacramento and therefore won't be able to make it this time. Before we moved here 4-1/2 years ago, my wife and I visited the Tacoma area thinking we might move there from San Jose, but it wasn't in the cards. But it's a beautiful part of the country, and hopefully I'll be back up that way again in the not-too-distant future. In the meantime, I'll be drooling over the online pictures and descriptions of Mattson modules.

Oh, and sorry my former boss, Dominic Milano, caught you fishing for your wallet in 1980. meh

James: Thanks very much for the Mattson links. I've been eying photos of your progressively evolving studio on this and other forums for many months, and am very impressed with your synth collection and music. Nice all around!
carbon111
mmm wrote:

Wouldn't miss it for the world! Laura and I are looking forward to it!

Um...where is it? Time? Do I need to know the secret handshake or anything like that??? seriously, i just don't get it

Noah Vail wrote:
Thanks very much for the Mattson links. I've been eying photos of your progressively evolving studio on this and other forums for many months, and am very impressed with your synth collection and music. Nice all around!

High praise, coming from you! eek! 8_)

I still have a 1st edition of Vintage Synthesizers I dog-eared to death in my late twenties.

Much respect, Mark! SlayerBadger! we're not worthy
mmm
carbon111 wrote:
mmm wrote:

Wouldn't miss it for the world! Laura and I are looking forward to it!

Um...where is it? Time? Do I need to know the secret handshake or anything like that??? seriously, i just don't get it

Yup, I think the secret handshake only involves one finger headbang

The directions are on the AES web site:
http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/

Just below the address and above the text is a directions link.

G
mmm
Mark,

I PM'd you.

G

Mattson Mini Modular
electronicmusic.com
bwhittington wrote:
Quote:
electronicmusic.com: How easy is it to make the US version sized module as opposed to eurorack?

Who wrote these questions, Ali G?

He he, I wish. He's too expensive these days ;-)

We like to keep our questions nice and simple and let the interviewee go as deep as they desire with them.

George did an awesome job bringing us all up to speed, and we're looking forward to building a MMM rig in the very near future.

Thanks George.

em
mmm
electronicmusic.com wrote:

George did an awesome job bringing us all up to speed, and we're looking forward to building a MMM rig in the very near future.

Thanks George.

em

Thanks for swinging by the AES presentation last night. Great to meet you finally Rockin' Banana!

Red Martian performed an excellent set. Great Job Red applause

I love these kind of events. Even if I do just stand up there and mutter incomprehensible phrases. hmmm.....

For the rest of you, I'll get back to work on your orders, now 8_)

Mattson Mini Modular
redmartian
[quote="mmm"]
electronicmusic.com wrote:

Red Martian performed an excellent set. Great Job Red applause

Thank you - this reminds me of the time I looked on my brother's wall
at a picture of Led Zeppelin and I asked him "Which one is Led?".
The band is 2 other people and I hate to leave them out. Guinness ftw!

You did a Great Job (and awesome show) with the back ground information
on the MMM. Great Job Mini! Dead Banana ambulance
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Page 1 of 1