MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

the residents
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author the residents
chinard
Just saw the residents last night at the opera house in toronto.

Holy crap what a great show.
If you have the chance to catch them on this tour, go for it!

I will warn you tho.. they did retire the eyeball and tophat a while ago and they didnt play any old material. (except for one excerpt from gingerbread man)
This was more of a overall 'concept' performance featuring 'randy' dressed like an old man telling strange stories about pudding rollups and serial killers while holding a miniture projector where he would project these vignettes of other people with warped faces telling even more strange stories.
CursedFrogurt
chinard wrote:

This was more of a overall 'concept' performance featuring 'randy' dressed like an old man telling strange stories about pudding rollups and serial killers while holding a miniture projector where he would project these vignettes of other people with warped faces telling even more strange stories.

Wait, are you sure you didn't accidentally attend a Samuel Beckett play?
chinard
CursedFrogurt wrote:
chinard wrote:

Wait, are you sure you didn't accidentally attend a Samuel Beckett play?

maybe if someone slipped him some acid.
automaton
I caught the show in Austin a couple of weeks ago. The set seemed to be around 60% older material as opposed to the show I saw in New York a year and a half ago, which contained very little.

Both very cool shows. Seeing this version of Six More Miles (to the graveyard) was amazing.
wetterberg
I never grokked The Residents waah
I've stubbornly listened to sooo much of their material, but still nothing.

Is there a Residents Primer out there somewhere? seriously, i just don't get it
Chuck E. Jesus
wetterberg wrote:

for me Third Reich and Roll and Duck Stab/Buster and Glen are "classic Residents" ...

i was lucky to see them with Snake Finger many moons ago...
andrewF
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

for me Third Reich and Roll and Duck Stab/Buster and Glen are "classic Residents" ...

i was lucky to see them with Snake Finger many moons ago...

The Commercial Album is also pretty easy listening hihi

Saw them with snakey in Amsterdam 1987. i was very pleased to find that actual concert was released on cd -
jenamu6
Here I come constantinople, Here I come constantinople.....
chinard
wetterberg wrote:

Actually there is a documentary floating around hosted by penn and teller on the residents.
Search it out in torrent land or at an alternative video store if you are lucky enough to have any nearby.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264607/

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:

for me Third Reich and Roll and Duck Stab/Buster and Glen are "classic Residents" ....

+1

favourite song from them is from duck stab. Primus does a cover of it as well.

also here's an excerpt from their current tour:

the eyeball and tophat is long since retired but they are still the kings of weirdness.
DanielW
"Not Available" did it for me when I was about 15.

Also, check out "Eskimo".
Chuck E. Jesus
DanielW wrote:
"Not Available" did it for me when I was about 15.

haven't heard it in years, listening via the youtube w00t
Suburban Bather
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!! I missed them again very frustrating

The Fingerprince is also a good album http://www.amazon.com/Fingerprince-Residents/dp/B000000PM7

Yea, Duckstab/Buster and Glen, The Commercial Album, and Eskimo are must haves if you have any interest in the Residents.

Now where to went that rotten egg
For feelin' up my lover's leg
I'll boil him `til the begs to be a breakfast
MindMachine
Suburban Bather wrote:
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!! I missed them again very frustrating

Back in 1982 they FINALLY toured... Me and my crazy uncle got some tickets and waited for the show... one night, we were in the Uncles studio jamming on some crap and he said, 'Hey - that sounds like a Residents jam...' we looked at each other and realized that we had forgot the concert that night... they only tour every 7-10 years or so. We still hate each other to the day for missing that show... (kids... don't do drugs... kids... forget that last stupid comment).
onrust nv
I realy like Third reich&roll(my wife hates the CDcover),eskimo and meet the residents.
witz
I think "not available" and "intermission" are my favorites, I really like "George and James" as well (well...George Gershwin's part is really great, despite its somehow sterile interpretation...)
emdot_ambient
I'm a huge fan of everything of theirs up to and including The Commercial Album. After that they kind of lost me.

However, I did see them live when they did "The King & Eye" in like 1989 or 1990. The music was OK but it was pretty clear they had become theater, not music.

That's my biggest complaint about them now. When they started out, the point was not to tour, to remain anonymous. When they finally decided to tour, they'd dress up in costumes so as to remain anonymous. In their earliest concerts they'd dress up as mummies and perform in a kind of huge fish tank behind curtains of a very loose weave burlap or something, maybe fish net. The effect was that you really couldn't tell who they were or what they were doing.

But they later transformed that idea--the obscurement and obfuscation--into intentional theater and the music became more electrictronic and less important. Even when I saw them they were pretty much 100% samplers and the sound was very disappointing.

As huge a fan of synths and samplers as I am, they really lost their heart when they went electric. Their early recordings are all incredibly low tech and employ a lot of guitar, piano, trombone and sax, and generally weird noises made on whatever was at hand, processed through rough sounding FX. It was all pretty much poorly played, but taken altogether, fantastic. The samplers and synths clean it all up, make it sound to premeditated. And the theater aspect makes the stories, as strange and disturbing as they might be, sound too calculated, less stream of consciousness.

In short, they've grown more formulaic and less experimental. In the beginning you could hear that they were doing it for themselves and were open minded to anything. Now they sound as if they've found their modus operandi and just keep repeating the same formulas.

Still...even up to where I lost track of them they have a truly impressive, ground breaking catalog.
emdot_ambient
Here's a very short vid of one of my favorite very early Resident tunes made for a film project they never finished:

Eloise

And their single, Satna Dog

AND!!!! hyper Santa Dog done on Gamelan Orchestra

And a very strange fan video of the first Residents song I ever heard, their version of Satisfaction

[anecdote] I was living in the basement of my parent's house. A friend had come over with a new single he had purchased through mail order. It was a yellow transparent vinyl of Satisfaction by the Residents. He put it on the turntable and we cranked up the volume really loud. The audio assault began but within about 30 seconds there was a knock on my door--my mother. I was thinking she was going to tell us to turn it down. Instead, she says: "Um...." glancing at the record player with trepidation "...what do you..." glancing again with confusing and bit of fear "...what do you want for dinner?" hihi I say, shooing her out of the room "Oh, whatever, mom. Anything's fine." screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! lol[/anecdote]
emdot_ambient
jenamu6 wrote:
Here I come constantinople, Here I come constantinople.....

One summer session in college I played a tape of Duck Stab/Buster & Glen for a friend of mine. I didn't see him for a couple of days after that. When I did, he was walking up the hall looking at me...suddenly he breaks into "Here I come Constantinople, Here I come Constantinople, I am coming Constantinople, Here I...I'M GONNA KILL YOU! I can't get that freakin' song out of my head!" Rockin' Banana!
emdot_ambient
chinard wrote:
...favourite song from them is from duck stab.

That's my wife's favorite Residents song, too, and probably my favorite video of theirs.
numan7
Wow - I never noticed the similarities between early residents and later captain beefheart music! for example, try watching the eloise video above; then check out 'ice cream for crow'...

Cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1