MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sonic Potions - Penrose Quantizer DIY Kit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author Sonic Potions - Penrose Quantizer DIY Kit
Comboy
Hello fellow wigglers!

I hope it is ok to post here.
I recently developed a quantizer with user selectable scales as a DIY kit for the eurorack format.

Notes can be selected with the duocolor LED buttons and it is either free running (no cable plugged into the trigger in jack) or externally triggered (cable attached). Whenever the output changes a trigger is generated.It uses a proper DAC for CV output, so no PWM is used.

More information is available on my website

and full kits are available in my shop

I hope you like it! razz
horstronic
applause applause applause
woodster
I think I'll be having me some of that SlayerBadger!
Adminius
This looks monster, Comboy!

I actually found the Penrose Quantizer on ModularGrid only yesterday and added it to my GearLust Rack.

Any plans to produce this as a completed module 'cause I'm decidedly dodgy at DIY?
Comboy
No plans for me so far to make a complete module, but I'm sure one of the trusted builders would be happy to build one for you for a good price. Maybe ask andre' from tubeOhm or someone else from this list:

http://forum.sonic-potions.com/discussion/258/trusted-builders

I thought there are quite a few ready made quantizers but very few DIY kits so I went with the kit wink
Coconuts
Will any shops in the U.S. have them?
Altitude909
Welcome Julian!

I can build these in the US for anyone that needs one.
horstronic
And I could build these for people in europe w00t
FetidEye
i just got mine in the mail.. thanks for the nice presents!!

btw: that small bottle with the wooden cap, where did you got it from?
my girlfriend wants to use such bottles for a food / oil project.
bartleby
received mine today - including some obscene candy. grin

don't know when i'll find the time to build this - my backlog is long enough. but i think i'll move this one up on the list...
FetidEye
aaannnd it works!!

fast build, because of the excellent manual.
calibration was fast too, maybe i'll redo it with a scope, but for now a multimeter worked fine.
The buttons are very beautiful!

1 point of attention: it would be very usefull to have an overview of all components at the beginning. (like a BOM)
In that way you can't mistake a 102 cap for a 104 cap because you will know to look out for it. (those text codes are so fucking small it hurts my eyes)

very cool solution for the pcb / panel mounting also!!

w00t
falafelbiels
That was quick!
beeedy
I would also be willing to build for people in the US if altitude becomes too busy! help
Ucture
I just build and tested the Penrose i ordered last week. There's 3 light buttons (G#, A#, B) that does not light but are working. I checked my soldering and it looks like everything is ok. I thought also to update the firmware but couldn't find the audio file to do it, on the site. Does anyone have the same issues? Any solutions or check i can do?
woodster
Did you make sure to follow instructions which way to put the button pins in ?
Ucture
I received an answer from Julian by mail. It's apparently a defect 10 Ohm resistance.
reodjectz
I like the look of this module. Could one of the people who picked it chime in on the panel quality? Is it hand made (like the befaco ones, I hope not) or nice and cleanly manufactured?

Really love the idea of the trigger out on pitch change, I wish the uscale had that.

If the panels are nice I'll be ordering.
spoor
reodjectz wrote:
Is it hand made (like the befaco ones, I hope not)

BTW - latest module I built from them (Even VCO) was very much improved, using aluminium PCB material. But still not as nice as others (grayscale, MI, MTM etc). I understand they're still looking to improve their panels.
reodjectz
spoor wrote:
reodjectz wrote:
Is it hand made (like the befaco ones, I hope not)

BTW - latest module I built from them (Even VCO) was very much improved, using aluminium PCB material. But still not as nice as others (grayscale, MI, MTM etc). I understand they're still looking to improve their panels.

Good to hear- I like their modules, but the panels are a huge turnoff. I did just order the sampling modulator kit... fingers crossed for a nice panel.
Altitude909
That looks like a metal photo panel like the MI (it was designed by the same guy)
euromorcego
looks wonderful.

So the selectable scales are not presets but one has to program the scales using the minikeyboard? And I am correct that there is no transpose or similar? Could the mini keys be used as a, well, mini keyboard, when nothing is plugged in? That would be a useful feature (have been looking for something like this).
tonewheels
I got my kit a couple of days ago. Panel is really nice. Seems to be an emerging wiggling practice to give toys with the kit. Nice. A packet of camel balls and a jar to keep your oil (been years since I've come across any oil, mind you).

Since I ordered it, my circumstances/requirements have changed so I'll either trade it or build it and trade it. Cool module though. Mightily impressed.
Comboy
FetidEye wrote:
btw: that small bottle with the wooden cap, where did you got it from?
my girlfriend wants to use such bottles for a food / oil project.

found them on alibaba wink
have a look for "Fimo bottle"
Lots of different varieties available.
Comboy
reodjectz wrote:
I like the look of this module. Could one of the people who picked it chime in on the panel quality? Is it hand made (like the befaco ones, I hope not) or nice and cleanly manufactured?

The panels are quality aluminum panels with sub anodized (is this the right term?)printing.
Similar to the Mutable panels.

Scratch and solvent proof.
I had to get samples from 5 companies until I found one with good quality wink
Comboy
euromorcego wrote:
looks wonderful.

So the selectable scales are not presets but one has to program the scales using the minikeyboard?

exactly.

euromorcego wrote:
And I am correct that there is no transpose or similar? Could the mini keys be used as a, well, mini keyboard, when nothing is plugged in? That would be a useful feature (have been looking for something like this).

Sorry, no transpose. About the mini keyboard use - I'm afraid there are no free pins on the microcontroller left an the CV in jack has no switch wired up to detect if a jack is plugged in.
The firmware could be changed to act as a small keyboard, but it would not work as a quantizer anymore :(
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 1 of 18