MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

temps_utile / 6 x clock generator [build thread etc]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author temps_utile / 6 x clock generator [build thread etc]
mxmxmx
oh, wait. i think i've inserted a little bug when updating the code the other week:

can you try this? https://github.com/mxmxmx/temps_utile-/tree/master/soft/temps_utile
sammy123
It's right there in the documentation. Sorry about that.

mxmxmx wrote:
sammy123 wrote:
Max I'd like to grab a board.

Have you thought about a random clock mode?

sure.

... and there's two random modes already. one is plain 'random' (with threshold); the other some sort of linear feedback shift register, which can be fairly irregular, depending on length and tap positions. (the one obvious thing still missing is clock multiplication ... )
flts
mxmxmx wrote:
oh, wait. i think i've inserted a little bug when updating the code the other week:

can you try this? https://github.com/mxmxmx/temps_utile-/tree/master/soft/temps_utile

Pulled latest changes, updated the firmware, and now the buttons work as well! Thank you! Will have to check further and calibrate tomorrow (shouldn't stay up much later than this...).
mxmxmx
flts wrote:
mxmxmx wrote:

Pulled latest changes, updated the firmware, and now the buttons work as well! Thank you! Will have to check further and calibrate tomorrow (shouldn't stay up much later than this...).

ok, cool ... (me too)
flts
A 4-module patch from yesterday evening, Braids + Clouds + Turing Machine Hybrid + Temps-Utile (all self-built):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwa384d9nn5kpak/braids_clouds_turing_temps-u tile_20151119_2300.mp3?dl=0
flts

The DIY panel is a bit rough and unfinished...
Altitude909
quick legend check please:

pld
There are two outs labelled "3"...
mxmxmx
... also clock #4 is the DAC, if you wanted to specifically label that.

here's a diagram from github:

made me scratch my head the other day though. i was musing about the clock multiplication thing, but i'm not quite sure how to map it onto the existing UI. one way would be to simply merge it with the clock division mode, which probably isn't so very useful; alternatively, both division and multiplication could be made to work across all modes, in which case it would mean to either add a parameter item to each channel page (which i'd like to avoid) or re-purpose the left encoder (which isn't ideal either, because it'll involve even more long-presses (for mode selection)) -- thoughts?

@flts -- nice tune ... i really should figure out some solution for panels.
flts
mxmxmx wrote:
i was musing about the clock multiplication thing, but i'm not quite sure how to map it onto the existing UI. one way would be to simply merge it with the clock division mode, which probably isn't so very useful

I guess this might be the simple solution UI-wise - make fractional values under 1 available for the "division" parameter on screen for multiplication. Certainly convenient with minimal changes for UI, in case you get the division working first.

Quote:
alternatively, both division and multiplication could be made to work across all modes, in which case it would mean to either add a parameter item to each channel page (which i'd like to avoid) or re-purpose the left encoder (which isn't ideal either, because it'll involve even more long-presses (for mode selection)) -- thoughts?

This would actually be pretty cool and I was thinking of extending the firmware like that myself if I have the time at some point. When I was playing around with the module yesterday, I sort of wished I could trivially run one euclidean sequence on 1x clock and one for 2x or 4x or so. I don't know if it would be fiddly UI-wise though.

Quote:
@flts -- nice tune ... i really should figure out some solution for panels.

Thanks, it was more of an absend-minded jam but I ended up making about three or fours hours worth of variations on it while doing something else because I liked how it ended up sounding.

I do enjoy sawing and driling panels myself, just that right now I don't really have a quick access to a proper bench press etcetc. so I just use hand tools on my kitchen table which means accuracy isn't that great. I could've filed the screen window to look less wonky, but as it isn't really a functional issue I don't mind - maybe I'll eventually draw something equally wonky on the panel with thin paint markers so it'll sort of fit in.
Altitude909
wow. Dont edit panels early in the AM razz will fix

So what is the DAC out compared to the other clock outputs?
flts
Altitude909 wrote:
wow. Dont edit panels early in the AM razz will fix

The clock outputs are digital (0/1), the DAC is Teensy's internal 12 bit one which can also output random voltages etc. instead of just pulses like the other channels.
mxmxmx
flts wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
wow. Dont edit panels early in the AM :P will fix

The clock outputs are digital (0/1), the DAC is Teensy's internal 12 bit one which can also output random voltages etc. instead of just pulses like the other channels.

yep, that's that. presently, there's just two modes: "binary" and "random", where random is random, and binary is a sequencer type thing, which tracks the clock state (clock 1 = MSB ... clock 6 = LSB).

meanwhile, here's a first stab at clock mulitplication. it's a bit of a hack but it seems to work, more or less. will need quite a bit of fine-tuning though, i broke various things in the process (the internal clock and, chances are, the store-settings stuff).

basically, the way it works is: there's two menu pages now for the left encoder (long press to toggle the page); the one page allows multiplying the incoming clock by 2, 4, 8 and 16 (that's a per channel setting), resolution of the underlying timer is 25 usec. the other page is for mode selection, which works as before.
flts
I've been using the module as the timing / trigger core for pretty much everything I've done with the euro modular for the past two months and have started getting ideas to my head about things that could be added or improved for my own purposes...

... thus I just wanted to quickly query what the dev status is. In case I start working on some additional modes / features, should I try building them on top of temps_utile or temps_utile_mult code (my module is still running the standard non-multiplier code) and are there any bugs I should look out for / try to fix during the process?
mxmxmx
flts wrote:

... thus I just wanted to quickly query what the dev status is. In case I start working on some additional modes / features, should I try building them on top of temps_utile or temps_utile_mult code (my module is still running the standard non-multiplier code) and are there any bugs I should look out for / try to fix during the process?

as you prefer. i must admit i haven't extensively used/tested the multiplying version myself (due to adverse work/life balance), but it shouldn't be entirely misdirected; the timer stuff is somewhat gleaned from the SCM. i wasn't too happy though with the way it worked out in terms of the UI. in other words: dev status is not very active right now; and it's always been the somewhat ugly stepsister of the O+C module, i suppose.

that said, over the last few weeks pld massively overhauled the core of O+C code, display drivers and all; lots of those enhancements* should carry over to this module, but it'll involve some effort. you can take a peek here.

* edit: the most interesting parts should be the display driver. it's using DMA now and rendering is split up into smaller bits; and there might be some menu features in there which could be of use in a clock sequencer scenario, too. generally speaking though, the display driver is far less mission critical in this case; it's just some GPIO and the onboard DAC that need to be updated in the ISR, there's no sharing of the SPI bus (as with O+C). in the multiplying version i had moved the update outside the ISR, i forgot why; it probably should be put back in. the core ISR (in the multiplying version) runs at 40kHz, it should be able to cope.
djamsia
Hello!!!
I have a problem with my temps-utile !!!
when I turn the image does not appear the 6 blocks in the OLED, however, get a bunch of stars of death, starwars kind !!!!

upload a couple of photos, if anyone can see a problem (PCB, OLED) or a possible clue.
Afotunadamente my ornament + crime, it runs smoothly ...
Thank you

mxmxmx
djamsia wrote:
Hello!!!
I have a problem with my temps-utile !!!
when I turn the image does not appear the 6 blocks in the OLED, however, get a bunch of stars of death, starwars kind !!!!

upload a couple of photos, if anyone can see a problem (PCB, OLED) or a possible clue.
Afotunadamente my ornament + crime, it runs smoothly ...

mmh, stars of death are not good. have you uncommented this line in u8g_teensy_14.cpp?
djamsia
yes i have uncommented..

//#define _TEMPS_UTILE_REV

will review hardware...
mxmxmx
djamsia wrote:
yes i have uncommented..

//#define _TEMPS_UTILE_REV

will review hardware...

ok, just to make sure: you have to uncomment two lines; the one in the display driver; and one in the main sketch.

as for the hardware, there's very little that actually could go wrong. there's just the SPI signals going straight from the MCU to the display header (digital pins 10, 11, 14), plus two auxiliary ones, D/C (9) and RST (4). and 3v3, which comes from the 78L33. you may want to try reflow the headers, and double-check the voltage, but it looks fine.

since you have a working o+c, have you tried swapping the OLED, just to rule that out?

fwiw, just to get the firmware out of the way, here's the hex:
djamsia
OK ... Thank you, my temps utile has left the dark side and has come to life.
I needed to define in the sketch too...

I hope to contribute something to this group in the future.

mxmxmx
djamsia wrote:
OK ... Thank you, my temps utile has left the dark side and has come to life.

cool, glad it's working.

apropos coming to life ... you should also check out the new and vastly improved o+c pre-beta firmware, it's not quite there yet but mostly usable.

as for your (pm) question, i don't have any spare pcbs at the moment except o+c. IIRC, bezier ordered a few eurotrash mk2, so maybe you can get one from him. (see the eurotrash thread, at the very bottom)
mr.sibs
Another working clocks here, thanks mxmxmx for the support and the great modules
flts
handed over mine to a friend as an abstract data octocontroller appeared in trade and that will have to do for now... i still have a pcb, a display and a spare teensy though, so will probably build myself another soon.
edwinm
If anyone has a spare board please let me know!
puzo
Hi. Does this suffer from the 1.3 oled shortage and do we anticipate the 1.4" adapted board from the OC to work?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 3 of 31